• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: Cancers Associated with Overweight and Obesity Make up 40% of Cancers Diagnosed

CDX

iAg2HkI.png

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p1003-vs-cancer-obesity.html

Cancers Associated with Overweight and Obesity Make up 40 percent of Cancers Diagnosed in the United States

Press Release
Embargoed Until: Weekday, Tuesday, October 3, 2017, 12:45 p.m. ET

Overweight and obesity are associated with increased risk of 13 types of cancer. These cancers account for about 40 percent of all cancers diagnosed in the United States in 2014, according to the latest Vital Signs report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Overall, the rate of new cancer cases has decreased since the 1990s, but increases in overweight- and obesity-related cancers are likely slowing this progress.

About 630,000 people in the U.S. were diagnosed with a cancer associated with overweight and obesity in 2014. About 2 in 3 occurred in adults 50- to 74-years-old. The rates of obesity-related cancers, not including colorectal cancer, increased by 7 percent between 2005 and 2014. The rates of non-obesity related cancers declined during that time.

“A majority of American adults weigh more than recommended – and being overweight or obese puts people at higher risk for a number of cancers – so these findings are a cause for concern,” said CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald, M.D. “By getting to and keeping a healthy weight, we all can play a role in cancer prevention.”

Many people are not aware that being overweight and having obesity are associated with some cancers. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) has identified 13 cancers associated with overweight and obesity: meningioma, multiple myeloma, adenocarcinoma of the esophagus, and cancers of the thyroid, postmenopausal breast, gallbladder, stomach, liver, pancreas, kidney, ovaries, uterus, colon and rectum (colorectal).  Screening for colorectal cancer prevents new cases by finding abnormal growths in the colon and rectum before they turn into cancer.

Key findings regarding cancer types associated with overweight and obesity:
  • 55 percent of all cancers diagnosed in women and 24 percent of those diagnosed in men are associated with overweight and obesity.
  • Non-Hispanic blacks and non-Hispanic whites had higher incidence rates compared with other racial and ethnic groups. Black males and American Indian/Alaska Native males had higher incidence rates than white males.
  • Cancers associated with overweight and obesity, excluding colorectal cancer, increased 7 percent between 2005-2014.  Colorectal cancer decreased 23 percent, due in large part to screening. Cancers not associated with overweight and obesity decreased 13 percent.
  • Cancers associated with overweight and obesity, excluding colorectal cancer, increased among adults younger than age 75.

“As an oncologist, when people ask me if there’s a cure for cancer, I say, ‘Yes, good health is the best prescription for preventing chronic diseases, including cancer,’” said Lisa C. Richardson, M.D., M.P.H., director of CDC’s Division of Cancer Prevention and Control. “What that means to healthcare providers like me is helping people to have the information they need to make healthy choices where they live, work, learn, and play.”

The CDC just put out this press release today.

I wasn't aware being overweight and obese was associated with so many types of cancer.

Volimar

^ Doubtful since someone's obesity doesn't affect your health. Just the cost of healthcare overall though at this point I'm convinced that everyone could be skinny tomorrow and insurance companies would then charge more to people for low BMI.

There are a lot of risk factors, but yeah with the rise in obesity there would be a rise in corresponding obesity related cancer. Seems pretty common sense.

Luckily I don't want to live!

But seriously it's no shock. Everything I've read it's that a reduced caloric intake is a big key to extended life span.

I'm saying this as an obese man btw.

norm9

So 1/3 of the American population has a 40% chance of getting an obesity-based cancer when cancer will hit about 40% of the overall population. Sounds like it's time for overweight people to hit the gym. Those odds are shit.

So are people going to come after obesity with as much furor as smoking now?
Obesity is still one of the very few things that TV shows are regularly allowed to mock (baldness and short men are up there too), and its about as unhealthy as smoking. People won't like ban being obese since there's no such thing as second hand obesity. Hopefully more anti obesity laws like the soda tax pop up though.

Makes sense, since elevated insulin levels fuel a majority of human cancers.

The real issue is all the terrible 'science' out there involving weight loss. Nothing can change until that's fixed, and old myths die very slowly.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Figures. People who don't take care of themselves end up with the shittiest diseases. Obviously, this doesn't apply to those with genetic predispositions for obesity, but for everyone else, this is your warning.

entremet

I remember reading about this. We’re not meant to be overweight evolutionary speaking. It wreaks havoc on our bodies long term.

jfkgoblue

No because you're not breathing fat into my lungs by proximity.
Second-hand Smoking issues comes from someone living with a smoker, not from walking past someone smoking on the sidewalk. Same thing with obesity, if you live with an obese person, you are more likely to be obese yourself.

ShyMel

Maybe one day our country will make it easier for people to get veggies over fast food, while also educating people on things like added sugar and salt.

Second-hand Smoking issues comes from someone living with a smoker, not from walking past someone smoking on the sidewalk. Same thing with obesity, if you live with an obese person, you are more likely to be obese yourself.
Nah, not exclusively. You can get sicker from your nurse smoking in the hospital, you can't get sicker from your nurse being obese.

Shredderi

I'm glad I'm finally losing weight, although it will take about one year to lose the 100pounds I need to lose but hopefully it will make me healthier in the long run. I kinda have this thing in my mind that I want to be in decent shape before I hit my 30s.

mdubs

Banned
Tax sugar and post calorie counts in restaurants. There's more to preventing obesity than that, but it's a start.

GatorBait

I regularly hear people say something to the effect of, "Just because a person is skinny, it doesn't mean they are healthy!"

While technically true, an overweight person is going to be healthier 99.9% of the time at a "normal" BMI. Being overweight is literally one of the top unhealthy things you can do for your body.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Just look at the bright side, you can lose all your muscle and fat during chemo.

What that means to healthcare providers like me is helping people to have the information they need to make healthy choices where they live, work, learn, and play.

I hope this doesn't turn into some preexisting condition bs.

CDX

Tax sugar and post calorie counts in restaurants. There's more to preventing obesity than that, but it's a start.
I thought most restaurants already have calorie counts available and posted. Maybe it's different in other states.

Urban sprawl and our car-centric urban planning fucked us up too.

...we fucked up a lot of things, really.
Yeah. Our car centric cities and life's in car centric general certainly didn't help

Good thing this study came out not long after I decided to start dropping weight! About three and a half weeks in and I've dropped thirteen lbs so far, and only just getting started. Though I know it'll slow down, I already feel better than I have in a long time.

llien

Obesity being bad for health is apparent, but making cancer so much more probable is puzzling.

PS
Reminder that stats need to be taken with a grain of salt:

ls5QaXX.png

Obesity being bad for health is apparent, but making cancer so much more probable is puzzling.

PS
Reminder that stats need to be taken with a grain of salt:

ls5QaXX.png

I wonder if it has something to do with diet of obese people. Foods obese are prone to eating are bad for your health in more ways than one.

I wonder if it has something to do with diet of obese people. Foods obese are prone to eating are bad for your health in more ways than one.

Diet is definitely one aspect. Another thing is that it is now currently accepted within scientific literature that fat tissue acts as a separate endocrine tissue. It produces inflammatory cytokines that have been linked to the development of autoimmune/ malignancies and also interferes with normal homeostasis of appetite control.

Excess weight isn't just there to "look bad". It's completely messing up with your system.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Overweight and obesity are associated with increased risk of 13 types of cancer.

How much of an increased risk? Is this like "weight has a 5% chance of causing this cancer with the other 90% being genetics and radiation exposure"?" Because this is a shitty way to convey this science.

One of the problems we have in particularly countries with free health care is that you have very morbid obese people who say "Leave me alone. I'm not hurting anybody".

But in a sense you are. Because your detteriating health is taking resources away from people who have bad diseases not caused by lifestyle diseases.

It has been suggested in some countries that free health care should not include people who have become sick due to self-harm, which you can say physical addiction disorders are. The problem is that it's basically impossible, even if you could screen out people who've caused their own bad health.

Another problem is that there is always a underlying reason for why people start substance abusing. The stigma with food is in particular that there are also people who just get fat due to laziness and bad periods, but they are not addicted or beyond health. And some of those people like to harass obese people with legit addiction problems with boostrap arguments.

When someone abuses food, it doesn't matter what arguments you throw at them. When you're addicted you're not rational. The big quagmire with food is that unlike smoking, drugs or alcohol, you cannot live without food. So you cannot do a AA 12-step-program to stop eating food ever again.
This causes this ying-yang effect that many obese people have becoming fat, losing weight, becoming fat, losing weight all of their lives. Their metabolism rates tank, and they quickly gain weight.

It causes major havoc on the system and takes a significant amount of years of your lifespan, as we know, because food consumption (kj) is related to lifespan. We know that eating less seems to have a correlation with living longer.
It might have something to do with that we totally underestimate the intense pressure and work our bodies have to go through to absorb food. We totally underestimate it, because we're not thinking about it. But we're exerting our body extremely when we eat a lot.
And due to our food sources, some of the things we eat are difficult to digest.

Being obese is miserable. It truly feels like you're at the bottom of the pit. The constant sweating, heavy breathing, constant irration. You're warm all the damn time. Your head feels cloudy. You just feel sick 24/7. And like with depression it tends to come with hopelessness, habits that die hard, and a lingering sense that you cannot change. No rationality, just looking for the six sugar high. You want to overeat just to sleep. You're looking for that alternate state of being, as you try to take your mind of things in RL that weighs heavy on you mentally. The massive spikes dopaine through the sugars, salts, fats and sweets give you rush of happiness that temporarily reduces the depression.

It's a cocktail of procrastination, anexiety, habits, addiction, irrationality, self loathing, conscious self-awareness, low self esteem. It's just such a bad pit to fall into. And you never really get out of it. Once you've been in once, it will always lay in the back of your mind. Like people who used to have drug and alcohol addictions. It's a scary monster you always have to be weary of.

Then you got the psychotic fitness industry full of all these fucking fake morons looking to make a quick buck with their shitty mars bar with added shit protein. You got all these bro scientists with their religion diets, and you got the media that constantly sells you this hypocrtical garbage mix of loving yourself, while at the same time selling you unrealistic body standards that make you hate yourself and make you think that the correct way to live your life is to look like this or train like that. It's such a pile of horseshit that is difficult to navigate.

WoolyNinja

It ignores colorectal cancer though? And specifically says it actually decreased 23 percent? It then tries to write that off by saying the decrease is probably due to screening? But screening doesn’t prevent cancer, it just detects it so I don’t understand why colorectal cancer is ignored?

Guevara

It ignores colorectal cancer though? And specifically says it actually decreased 23 percent? It then tries to write that off by saying the decrease is probably due to screening? But screening doesn’t prevent cancer, it just detects it so I don’t understand why colorectal cancer is ignored?

It's right there in the article "Screening for colorectal cancer prevents new cases by finding abnormal growths in the colon and rectum before they turn into cancer."

There is a group of cancer researchers that think cancer has a metabolic origin. Or at least not all cancers have a genetic origin.

CDX

Because, for colon cancer it's sometimes possible to find it in the pre-cancerous polyp stage.

They can then easily remove that pre-cancerous polyp, and the data shows doing that polyp removal can prevent full colon cancer from forming.

Some types of skin cancers can also be detected and removed in the pre-cancerous stage. If only every cancer had a currently detectable and easily removable pre-cancerous stage.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Correlation does not equal causation

Top Bottom