• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: Cancers Associated with Overweight and Obesity Make up 40% of Cancers Diagnosed

Hari Seldon

Because being skinny isn't healthy in itself. You can still be skinny with insulin resistance and that's the root of all these problems. Likely something like 70% of Americans have some form of insulin resistance, but it's hard to know since doctor don't do proper glucose/insulin tests. Dr. Joseph Kraft knew about this shit decades ago, but obviously nobody listened because everyone was busy having a war against fat: http://denversdietdoctor.com/diabetes-vascular-disease-joseph-r-kraft-md/

You are speaking greek to me. Just give me a vitamin or fix my genes so I can eat whatever crap I want to and stay healthy. I am willing to pay cash money for the service, and so is probably millions of other people lol. Who wants to go through life eating plane chicken and vegetables (not covered in butter) with no salt? The idea that we can fix all of our health problems if we were just more puritan is destined to fail.

IceCold

You are speaking greek to me. Just give me a vitamin or fix my genes so I can eat whatever crap I want to and stay healthy. I am willing to pay cash money for the service, and so is probably millions of other people lol. Who wants to go through life eating plane chicken and vegetables (not covered in butter) with no salt? The idea that we can fix all of our health problems if we were just more puritan is destined to fail.

lol. fat isn't a problem man, lather that chicken with all the butter you want. Actually don't even bother with the breasts and get chicken thighs, more fat and tastier. Steaks? Enjoy them. Get the fattier cuts and don't be afraid to use lard. The less carbs you eat, the more salt your body needs, so add the salt! Only thing you want to avoid is trans fats and cooking with vegetable oils (coconut oil is fine).

Once you eat with more fat and less carbs you really realize how efficient the body can be. Food cravings? Gone. Skipping meals? Easy. Feeling lethargic after a meal? Won't happen anymore. Hitting the wall during a run or bike ride? That won't be happening either.

WoolyNinja

It's right there in the article "Screening for colorectal cancer prevents new cases by finding abnormal growths in the colon and rectum before they turn into cancer."

But that should be true for everyone (obese or not) as the screening keeps improving so why ignore the fact that there's a 23% decrease in obese people vs non-obese. Or am I just mis-reading the data in the article?

Hari Seldon

lol. fat isn't a problem man, lather that chicken with all the butter you want. Actually don't even bother with the breasts and get chicken thighs, more fat and tastier. Steaks? Enjoy them. Get the fattier cuts and don't be afraid to use lard. The less carbs you eat, the more salt your body needs, so add the salt! Only thing you want to avoid is trans fats and cooking with vegetable oils (coconut oil is fine).

Once you eat with more fat and less carbs you really realize how efficient the body can be. Food cravings? Gone. Skipping meals? Easy. Feeling lethargic after a meal? Won't happen anymore. Hitting the wall during a run or bike ride? That won't be happening either.

Yeah I mean this makes sense, but it seems to conflict with other studies that say that red meat will also give you cancer lol. Too much conflicting information that makes eating stressful to the point where I'm guessing most people just say fuck it.

Everything can be summarized by this classic comedic bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXS5GBuk-GQ

But that should be true for everyone (obese or not) as the screening keeps improving so why ignore the fact that there's a 23% decrease in obese people vs non-obese. Or am I just mis-reading the data in the article?
You're misreading the data. The CDC press release is not introducing a new idea that these 13 particular cancers are associated with obesity. That's already established. Those increases and decreases apply to all Americans, across the board. With increasing obesity rates, these overall cancer diagnoses rates have been increasing as well. That's the press release. Unlike the vast majority of the other 12 cancers (actually, 11 of the 12), colon cancer is unique because it has an effective screening tool.

IceCold

Yeah I mean this makes sense, but it seems to conflict with other studies that say that red meat will also give you cancer lol. Too much conflicting information that makes eating stressful to the point where I'm guessing most people just say fuck it.

A lot of these studies are flawed, some done on rats, etc. Nothing wrong with a good quality steak. Just don't go buy them from your discount bin at Walmart, go to a butcher. Besides, a low carb diet isn't a high protein diet, so you wouldn't be eating more meat than usual. But if you are worried about red meat,that's fine, there's plenty of types of white meats and fish to choose from. Personally I don't eat that much red meat since the good stuff is so expensive, but I'll buy every now and then some ground beef from my local butcher.

Eating fish is pretty important though, too many people are deficient in omega3 which is pretty bad for you and causes many issues (geek talk: causes HDL to go down). Low vitamin D is also very bad, and most people are deficient, but that's another topic. Take supplements if you have to.

WoolyNinja

You're misreading the data. The CDC press release is not introducing a new idea that these 13 particular cancers are associated with obesity. That's already established. Those increases and decreases apply to all Americans, across the board. With increasing obesity rates, these overall cancer diagnoses rates have been increasing as well. That's the press release. Unlike the vast majority of the other 12 cancers (actually, 11 of the 12), colon cancer is unique because it has an effective screening tool.

Ah, I was interpreting the percentage as if it was for obese people specifically - doh! My bad - thanks!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Makes sense, since elevated insulin levels fuel a majority of human cancers.

The real issue is all the terrible 'science' out there involving weight loss. Nothing can change until that's fixed, and old myths die very slowly.

What are these terrible sciences?

Osukaa

Holy Shit ! Them are some high stats ... I'm hitting the gym and gonna take this so called Healthy Eating thing more seriously cause Fuck Cancer

could we charge obese people extra for health insurance like we do for smokers?

-_- Obesity, Smoking, Alcohol etc actually decrease the lifetime healthcare costs for a person. We should be looking at the problem from a societal and mental health perspective, not a money perspective.

http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.0050029

Conclusions

Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditure

Top Bottom