• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: Blood & Wine is Geralt's last story; feel it's "better than the main game"

Finally, they hopefully will do Fringilla justice a character not only more interesting than Triss ever was but also
actually helped despite being part of the lodge

DOWN

Banned
I wonder if the DLC will perform well on PS4 since the main game still hasn't been smoothed out. We know from screenshots they haven't improved the sad foliage LOD and lighting.

tuxfool

Banned
It's his last story but it features before Witcher 3 endgame?

I don't know how this is going to work from a story telling perspective.

It will be just like Hearts of Stone or even the short stories. It will be a a self contained vignette that exists out of chronology.

Skelter

Banned
Wonderful, as
Gerald is already basically brought back from the dead from the books for the games, I can't imagine they would kill him again, would they? *hasnt finished wild hunt yet also, only 25 hours in*

Who the hell is Gerald?

Better than the main game?! CDPR da gawds delivering yet again.

That said I'm crushed I have to say goodbye to Geralt. Absolutely crushed :-(

It's been awesome seeing CDPR and Geralt's popularity grow since the first game. As much as I'd hate to say goodbye to Geralt I have to respect CDPR knowing when to call it quits. There is so much more in the Witcher world that would make for some great games.

Your thinking about this the wrong way.

It's like the actual series of books the game's are based. on.

The DLC's are short stories that are self contained, much like the short stories contained in the Last Wish.

The Main game itself you could probably consider CDPR's continuation and ending of the novel storyline

Damn loved the first dlc has some of the best characters in the game. Hoping this turns out to be as good as they say it is they seemed to have enjoyed making it at least.

I'd love to see a Witcher 4 with Ciri. Question about the endings.
Is there's canon ending for Witcher 3? The two "good" endings were so different it could be hard to go on from there.

We probably won't know until they announce were their next game begins. I imagine that we won't get a concrete ending though as it would kinda destroy your choices in Witcher 3. Unless they manage to allow for save uploading but given the amount of endings in 3 i don't see how they will do that properly. I also don't really know what canon means when it comes to the witcher as Cd Projekt Red already kinda went against canon to make the witcher series.

Just completed the main game a few days ago and started my play through of Heart of Stones. Real excited for the final expansion.

Judging by the quality of Hearts of Stone, this wouldn't surprise me in the least. Hearts of Stone is probably the best expansion I've ever played in my life.

Are we supposed to play it post-main game? I'll be replaying the game at some point this year, but not sure if I have to beat it completely or reach a point before end game and play this.

Spoilers for one of Witcher 3's multiple endings:
Maybe it actually takes place in the endgame content where Geralt and Yen have hooked up and decided to retire. They go off to Toussaint to get really, unimaginably sloppy drunk on Erveluce and forget their troubles... until trouble finds them! Now that's some Hollywood shit right there...

OK, that would never work. A standalone story independent of Witcher 3's main quest makes more sense.

Raytow

Witcher 4 needs to be about a freshly mutated witcher from another school and region, no Ciri please, she way overpowered to be any fun playing.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
Question: I'm currently in the process of playing through the main game and wasn't planning on getting expansions because as it is I barely have time to play the game and it will take me 4-6 months to get through it. From what I read, I think I would enjoy playing through the expansions and am now thinking I should get them, so here's my question(s)...

Do the expansions take place after the main game or mixed in during? If I play through the main game first and then buy them after is it still worth doing? Does it work like Mass Effect 3 where it's more of a "by the way" this happened before the ending of the game?

If possible, any non spoiler answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chase17

Witcher 4 needs to be about a freshly mutated witcher from another school and region, no Ciri please, she way overpowered to be any fun playing.
This is probably the best option. Even though I would love to see more of Ciri.

Maybe she will show up in Cyberpunk.

Are we supposed to play it post-main game? I'll be replaying the game at some point this year, but not sure if I have to beat it completely or reach a point before end game and play this.

You can play it whenever, but the suggested level is 30+. NG+ would be level 60.

There is an option to create an autoleveled Geralt that you can customize for Hearts of Stone as well. (Level 32)

I'm in this train, especially after the three different endings one can get for the main game, all of them dealing with Ciri. One of them which is arguably the more complex ending
has her giving up the Witcher life and becoming empress
so it'd be a bit forced to have her star in the game and choosing one ending as canon.

Plus, she never went through witcher mutations in the story, she doesn't have witcher spells and she's OP. I'd rather they make a new proper witcher, completely unrelated to any of these characters in a new area where none of the game's recurring characters appear except for very very minor cameos. Let CDPR have fun creating their own group of entirely new characters.

You can play it whenever, but the suggested level is 30+. NG+ would be level 60.

There is an option to create an autoleveled Geralt that you can customize for Hearts of Stone as well. (Level 32)

How does this option affect the main story? As in, once you beat hearts of stone can you keep playing as that geralt?

They are standalone the only thing is they are built around being towards the end of the game level wise so you'd want to be 30+ to do them but they don't interact with the main story in anyway. Hearts of Stone also had a way to jump directly into the dlc with a premade lvl 32 Geralt.

Jumeira

Banned
CDPR downplay everything, for them to say this I fully believe them, if it was any other dev I'd ignore them. Not these guys,they're consistently excellent.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

That sounds horrible, especially if they go with a great your own character approach. Witcher games are about a character with a personality.

Piggus

That's not really how it works though.

Witcher 3 doesn't really "end" after the final quest. The last cutscene where it sums everything up based on your choices is what eventually happens later on. But you're still allowed to explore and finish up uncompleted tasks in the immediate aftermath of the ending before Geralt goes off and has his happily ever after or lonely existence.

IMO it's done really well. It allows one to continue exploring the world while still tying things up nicely, unlike games like Far Cry 3 where the ending is just ridiculous all in the name of keeping the player in that world.

If they really pull off a better story than the main game this expansion might end being a competitor for my goty 2016 (and this in a year when the jrpg gods seem poised to rain their blessings upon me).

Really like the sound of where they're going w/ this.

Unless they go Samus on her, that's ain't happening. She's like the strongest character in the universe.

By a big margin. Playing as her would be a travesty.

I'd love for them to go back to their original idea of having you create your own character as a student of the School of the Wolf and Geralt is one of your teachers. That'd be awesome. They can still tell a story like Mass Effect but with your own created character.

They are standalone the only thing is they are built around being towards the end of the game level wise so you'd want to be 30+ to do them but they don't interact with the main story in anyway. Hearts of Stone also had a way to jump directly into the dlc with a premade lvl 32 Geralt.

like I asked the other guy, I'm curious if you can jump into the DLC with this geralt and then keep using him for the rest of the main story. Has someone tried it? I'm still planning on replaying the game this year, but if I can avoid non-main story missions for a quick replay that'd be swell.

GeeTeeCee

"Better than the main game."

I'm not entirely sure how such a thing could ever be possible, but I'm excited to see it happen. The previous expansion puts some other full games to shame.

By a big margin. Playing as her would be a travesty.

I'd love for them to go back to their original idea of having you create your own character as a student of the School of the Wolf and Geralt is one of your teachers. That'd be awesome. They can still tell a story like Mass Effect but with your own created character.
the question is though...if we are making a witcher, would we be stuck with male only create a character

ps3ud0

That sounds horrible, especially if they go with a great your own character approach. Witcher games are about a character with a personality.
Surely in the Witcher lore it covers the other schools and what happened to them and mentions a few characters that CDPR could flesh out? Perhaps they could even turn to the original author for assistance.

Love to see stories that cover all the schools and ultimately what happened to them

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom