• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: Blood & Wine is Geralt's last story; feel it's "better than the main game"

Elandyll

Banned
Can't say I'm sad to see him go on my end of things.
W3 was (to me) a disappointment, so I can't wait for CDPR to actually go full steam on the development of Cyberpunk, one of my most awaited games for the next few years (and hoping they learned from the Witcher series' problems in terms of animations, combat mechanics and main story pacing, specifically for 3).

I'll miss ya White Wolf <3

This is Geralt’s final story according to the interview

http://www.onlysp.com/69058/

0xAW6Ig.gif

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait. I completed the game around release and I haven't touched the dlc (except first 2-3) + addons yet, as I wait until I'm able to make free time and the last addon is released.

frontovik

Banned
Sounds very promising. I was very impressed with Hearts of Stone, and am confident that CDPR will elevate the storytelling experience with Blood and Wine.

I hope they continue to keep us updated with more previews and screenshots though :( The wait gets a bit unbearable sometimes.

Hoping at least Yen and Triss will make some appearances, seeing as its romantic Touissant we're talking about ;)

Oh, I'd love for them to find a way to add Yen and Triss into the DLC. But then they'd likely have to decide on a point of when the game takes place. Aka you NEED to have done certain quests before you play it for it to make sense

Ultimadrago

It's a bittersweet for me to witness Geralt's final game story. In one hand, I really love the character, so I'm not jumping for joy in his upcoming absence.

On the other, I already gave him the perfect ending in Witcher 3's main story. I also wouldn't want him to stick around long enough to potentially slip on a quality banana and fall down a large flight of stairs as with so many promising series before him. You ended on a great note, my dude. I'm so proud and...

Will never forget.

P.S. No. No Create-A-Witcher in the future, CDPR.

danthefan

The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games ever but at the moment I don't think I could take another 100 hours of Geralt. I think this is a good idea to move on.

SugarDave

Day one PC physical edition with the Northern Realms and Nilfgaard Gwent decks (hopefully), even though I already have the expansion pass.

Seriously can't wait. Not only for the expansion but to start the game over in its complete form.

- J - D -

I really need to finish the main game by then. But there's too much in it to do and i keep getting sidetracked...

by gwent.

pablito

I just don't see myself getting into Ciri as a main character.

If they nerfed her movement I'd be down. Just make it so that it's a power you can't use all the time or something, otherwise it's too OP. But (ending spoilers)
I got the Ciri becomes a witcher ending. Did she actually become a witcher with witcher powers or does she just join Geralt on monster slaying adventures? My memory is iffy. But if she's not a real witcher I don't see them making a game about her.

Alpende

Still have to play Blood & Wine but since I have nothing in my backlog I might as well get it. Loved the vanilla game.

JerkShep

More charismatic than Eredin, with his 8 lines of dialogue in a 100 hours game? Is such a thing even possible? /s

Hearts of Stone was incredible, if it's more of that I'm definitely excited.

SugarDave

If they nerfed her movement I'd be down. Just make it so that it's a power you can't use all the time or something, otherwise it's too OP. But (ending spoilers)
I got the Ciri becomes a witcher ending. Did she actually become a witcher with witcher powers or does she just join Geralt on monster slaying adventures? My memory is iffy. But if she's not a real witcher I don't see them making a game about her.

She doesn't undergo the Trial of Grasses, if that's what you mean. Everyone at Kaer Morhen agreed that the process was wrong and were hesitant to go through with it on Uma, let alone Ciri. I think she just goes off on her own and basically does the job of a Witcher without the mutations.

I don't think they'll make her the protagonist if they do another game in the series.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Give us a date CDPR!

Can't wait for the expansion, TW3 is the best game I've played since the original Mass Effect.

Nuu

Banned
So how does one access these DLCs? Can I play them on my save file that completed the game? Or do I have to replay the entire game again to get to the area where the DLC is eligible?

dreamfall

Holy goodness, this is going to be so beautiful.

Just a wonderful game all around, can't wait to play this DLC. Hearts of Stone was so great! Any word on physical edition with more Gwent cards?

Skelter

Banned
So how does one access these DLCs? Can I play them on my save file that completed the game? Or do I have to replay the entire game again to get to the area where the DLC is eligible?

You can start a New Game and select the DLC so you'll be leveled up and geared for it automatically or, you can start it in your current playthrough by following the quest that appears in the log. It's a simple "go to contract board" but with a cutscene instead with Geralt laughing at the craigslist style posts. CDPR recommends level 60 if you choose that route. It does get tough too so better to wait till then.

EDIT: 30 for first playthrough, 60+ for NG+

You can play them after you beat the main game, you can even create a new high level Geralt just for playing the expansion.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sad that that we didn't get another chance to catch up on Saskia and Iorveth but oh well.
That said looking forward to one more time with Geralt.

Depends on which platform you're playing on, but on the PC you can add DLC at any time and enable it without impacting previous saves. Hearts of Stone adds a little bit of new area East of Novigrad and new quests, but enabling it won't impact your previous save file; you can load right up and head to the new area with your character completely intact. Not sure how it works on consoles but I'm fairly certain it's the same with regards to previous saves.

Piggus

Is it recommendable to play the expansions after the main quest is finished? I am not asking if that is required, but more if that fits their stories better. (which is subjective, of course)

Honestly, it's better to play them after. Going off into a completely separate region and spending days/weeks there during the main quest doesn't make sense considering there's almost always a major sense of urgency in the main story. Continuing to do stuff after the main quest does not conflict with the ending in any way whatsoever.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
CDPR recommends level 60 if you choose that route. It does get tough too so better to wait till then.

CDPR recommends level 30+ for that route, not 60+.

Edit: Unless you're talking about NG+, where they recommend 60+.

eksy

Banned
1) Early-May release date would be fine for me. Doesn't coincide with anything I'm interested in (until Mirror's Edge Cat on the 24th)

2) I didn't know there was a TV show/Movie in '01, and sounds like there might be a movie release in 2017.

3) Interesting to hear that they have played Fallout 4, and I hope after playing it they decide to stick with a well-defined character and narrative. I prefer their approach much more.
In CDPR we are all hardcore gamers and we spent days to complete Fallout 4, but I think that each of these products approaches the genre does this slightly differently. The games of Bethesda, for example, always give the player total freedom to define what a person is and what they can do, while our approach tells the story of a well-defined character. I think they are two very different ways of making games, but just as valid. "

4) 2077 is supposed to come out this year 2016. I put it out of my mind, I forgot. Maybe we'll hear more at E3. Glad to hear they will finish it soon so that they can get back to the Witcher universe. :p

5) Ciri could work as a character, when
she goes to different universes
. Gameplay may take a hit if she's so strong, but I don't worry about the narrative; it will be superb. Ultimately, I think it's best if they go with a different character.
In the initial plans it was Berengar, the witcher that guides you through the early stages of The Witcher, the main character. We tried to make it work but this choice, after all, nobody liked. There are many Witcher but only one is THE witcher. In our heads the saga of The Witcher has always been that of Geralt of Rivia, then we got to the point where we said "ok, we will use Geralt."

CHC

I know it's just PR fluff but... with CDPR I actually believe them. Hearts of Stone was so fucking tight, if they keep that quality level than I'll be falling out of my chair.

Only part I don't believe is "20 hours." Hearts of Stone took me AT LEAST that long. I'm expecting 30+ for Blood and Wine, no doubt about it.

CDPR recommends level 30+ for that route, not 60+.

30+ for normal game, 60+ for New Game Plus. Which I wish I'd realized before I installed HoS shortly after starting a NG+ playthrough, because now I'll be into Act 3 by the time HoS content is truly available. I did briefly run through some of the new area before being set on by some drowners that were like 20 levels higher than me; convinced me to wait until I was properly leveled.

Surely in the Witcher lore it covers the other schools and what happened to them and mentions a few characters that CDPR could flesh out? Perhaps they could even turn to the original author for assistance.

Love to see stories that cover all the schools and ultimately what happened to them

ps3ud0 8)

I would love to see other areas and schools covered as well. CDPR did well in creating an open world environment and getting a great cast of characters. Sky is the limit if they could keep it going every few years with different stories and areas.

Piggus

1) Early-May release date would be fine for me. Doesn't coincide with anything I'm interested in (until Mirror's Edge Cat on the 24th)

2) I didn't know there was a TV show/Movie in '01, and sounds like there might be a movie release in 2017.

3) Interesting to hear that they have played Fallout 4, and I hope after playing it they decide to stick with a well-defined character and narrative. I prefer their approach much more.

4) 2077 is supposed to come out this year 2016. I put it out of my mind, I forgot. Maybe we'll hear more at E3. Glad to hear they will finish it soon so that they can get back to the Witcher universe. :p

5) Ciri could work as a character, when she goes to different universes. Gameplay may take a hit if she's so strong, but I don't worry about the narrative; it will be superb. Ultimately, I think it's best if they go with a different character.

There's absolutely no way 2077 is coming out this year. We'll probably see it this year, but that's about it.

jmood88

By a big margin. Playing as her would be a travesty.

I'd love for them to go back to their original idea of having you create your own character as a student of the School of the Wolf and Geralt is one of your teachers. That'd be awesome. They can still tell a story like Mass Effect but with your own created character.
That'd be cool.

erawsd

I'm sad that that we didn't get another chance to catch up on Saskia and Iorveth but oh well.
That said looking forward to one more time with Geralt.

Iroveth almost has to appear in the DLC. Hes the one hanging thread from CDPRs Witcher story. As for Saskia, the comic that came along with HoS...
pretty much says that she died when Nilfgaard invaded Vergen.

Iroveth almost has to appear in the DLC. Hes the one hanging thread from CDPRs Witcher story. As for Saskia, the comic that came along with HoS...
pretty much says that she died when Nilfgaard invaded Vergen.

Yeah, he's the one loose end for me from W2 that I want to see.

Top Bottom