• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: no multiplayer in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A feature that I didn't even know was in the game was cut, yay.
EDIT: Oh, guess it was just "rumored" and they confirmed it never was to be. Read it wrong.

No the CEO implied they were attempting something:

Eurogamer said:
The Witcher 3 is due at the end of next year and there's still much we don't know about it. For instance, will it have multiplayer (a first for the series)? "We're thinking about something," Badowski answered, "but I cannot explain it now. You can expect some information later on. Sorry for that!" I probed about whether it could be something similar to the Dark Arena mode in The Witcher 2. "I don't think so," he said.

You can be fairly confident, though, that CDPR doesn't have MMO ambitions for The Witcher series. "The story is not perfect for MMOs," said Badowski, and joked about how out-of-fiction it would be for 10 white-haired Geralts to be running around before him. "There are many different types of games that can fit better to the universe or lore," he said.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-of-clarification-and-a-whiff-of-multiplayer

This was presumably canceled.

You can see he was pretty cagey though.

Cyberpunk in comparison he wasn't however:

CD Projekt Red managing director confirms upcoming role-playing game will have unspecified "multiplayer features."

Cyberpunk 2077 will have a multiplayer component. Developer CD Projekt Red managing director Adam Badowski confirmed the news to Eurogamer, but did not go into greater detail.

"It will be a story-based RPG experience with amazing single-player playthroughs, but we're going to add multiplayer features," Badowski said.

Badowski also confirmed that Cyberpunk 2077 will not cast players as a pre-defined hero, but rather allow them to forge their own creation. "We'll have different situation in Cyberpunk," Badowski said. "Cyberpunk will have different character classes."

Cyberpunk 2077 puts players into a "dark future" in 2077 where advanced technologies have become "both the salvation and the curse of humanity." The game promises a nonlinear story designed for "mature" players and is set in the metropolis of Night City. It has also been revealed that Cyberpunk 2077 will feature sandbox elements, though this was not specified in any length.

CD Projekt Red's other project, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, may also include multiplayer. The developer recently said it was "thinking about something" relating to a series-first multiplayer option for the 2014-dated role-playing game.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-has-multiplayer-6405225

Sentenza

Unlike many others, I wasn't super concerned with an additional multiplayer mode (even if hardly interested in it), but I'm completely fine with it being completely ditched.

kurahador

The only mp mode that makes sense for The Witcher is an mmo like experience. And that would cost alot.

Good move by CdPr.

The Witcher is not a co-op game. There's no "party". Any co-op would be tacked on.

Dragon Age had multiplayer? Also, ME3's multiplayer was just as good as the single-player, if not better. IMO that's one exception to the unnecessary multiplayer.

I never even played the Witcher series and I am strongly considering it now, simply on how awesome CDPR is.

Mandatory multi-player in all games needs to GTFO. They're doing it right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The Witcher is not a co-op game. There's no "party". Any co-op would be tacked on.

Dragon Age had multiplayer? Also, ME3's multiplayer was just as good as the single-player, if not better. IMO that's one exception to the unnecessary multiplayer.

Neither DA:O or DA2 did, but he's presumably referring to the relatively strong evidence that Dragon Age 3 does.

pablito

i didn't know that rumors of tw3 multiplayer was a thing. glad to see them confirm no multiplayer, though. nothing against multiplayer, but this series doesn't need it. they can spend the time they would be spending on multiplayer on tightening up the single player.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
These guys get it :)

Phew. I was about to post a rant in this thread but it's clear that we still actually have a couple of single player gamers on NeoGAF. Good times.

I can't wait for this. Thankfully there are some decent devs out there that know their craft and don't have to resort to sacrificed game design simply to cater to the 14 year old American CoD gamer demographic.

Take all of my money CD Projekt RED.

DigitalOp

Banned
Its a damn shame that in 2013, we're all breathing a sigh of relief to find out that an upcoming game is focusing on single-player.

What happened to the times man??

I got no prob with multiplayer, Hell, sometimes it even works... Uncharted 2

But its not needed in everything though..

Nintendo needs to hop on that online multiplayer train though, theyre loafing lol

Squire

Banned
Uhhhh...wouldn't pandering involve putting in a multiplayer mode?

For people who desire multiplayer sure, but this is then pandering to people who hold that silly, somewhat irrational fear that MP is ruining the industry/games/whatever.

It's just as gross as EA throwing it in to incentivize you not trading in the game in question.

Ushae

Banned
This doesn't bother me in the slightest. MP would have been great if implemented properly, but I'm sure there will be an arena mode not to mention a massive single player campaign.

This is why developers cram crappy multiplayers into what should have been only single player games.

Note, if this is a joke it went right by me.
Foghorn-Leghorn-Thats-a-joke-son-You-missed-it-Flew-right-by-ya.jpg

zeelman

I wouldn't call ME3's multiplayer "tacked on." It was made by a completely separate team from the singleplayer.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member
What?
So what the hell am I gonna do when I beat the game, jack off to Triss?
Not buying this game till it's a fiver at the most.

Eusis

No co-op, no first day sale. Every game needs a co-op feature.

Edit: As an option.
Game needs to be smartly built with it in mind (see Divinity: Original Sin), otherwise at best it's a fun feature on the side if you cared to use it, at worst warps the game's design and takes away resources, and usually it's somewhere in between (ME3's Horde-type multiplayer was well received, but it seemed to have come at the expense of solid sidequests potentially.) Given that a lot of the Witcher involved traveling alone it was not likely to work out very well.

Top Bottom