• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR overhauling dev tools before starting work on Cyberpunk 2077

So they announced this potentially 7-8 years before release...what the hell?!

TW1 took 7 years.

TW3 had a bunch of developmental issues according to the glassdoor reviews. They seem to be taking that to heart and overhauling their structures, which is the right move. Good things take time.

I hope this means that they will be able to incorporate recent social perspective on militarised police into concept development. Could be really cool potential to explore the sort of dystopia such a force could bring.
going by the trailer they probably won't tho + it will probably just glorify it lol

Blade%2BRunner%2BOpening%2BTitles.png

God dammit, I'll be at the end of my life span by then.

Metalmarc

Oh shit i thought this was coming out 2017 so it's the next gen game then, if next gen consoles are still a thing in 2020 and we dont just continue upgrade route

etta

my hard graphic balls
TW1 took 7 years.

Good things take time.
I don't mind that, but they showed it at E3, while it wasn't even a work in progress.
They should've just put it on YouTube and say they haven't and won't start working on it for another 4 years...

Vinc

To help hire staff to the studio.

Yep, there are lots of reasons to announce a game. Not everything can be Fallout.

To be honest, while I'm disappointed that Blood and Wine might be the last release from CDPR until a long while from now, I'm happy to wait until the game is ready and as good as it can be.

_machine

I don't mind that, but they showed it at E3, while it wasn't even a work in progress.
They should've just put it on YouTube and say they haven't and won't start working on it for another 4 years...
Quoting myself:
As people explained, the announcement was more of a "we will eventually be making a game like this" to drive staffing, their branding and possibly securing additional financing. The Cyberpunk at that point was just a trailer, there was absolutely nothing in terms of game, but it also really seemed to succeed in terms of staffing and studio brand. I believe they have even shed some of the staff originally working on the announcement (among bleeding other talent during the way).
It simply made a ton of sense from the studio perspective (also that the plans were different from it turned out...)

The teaser wasn't meant that way. It was primarily targeted as an advertisement to bring people into the studio to work on the game.

Speely

Banned
Don't care. This is going to be a game for the ages. Only fitting that it should take ages. Gotta get this one right... This setting could be a really big flop if not done well, but if handled correctly could be fucking historic. Day one 20XX.

And some GAF members were thinking 2017, lol!

I'll admit I was one that thought it was a 2017/2018 title. I definitely don't mind waiting. Much rather give them the time necessary to create their vision. I just thought they had a second team working on it for years and then once the W3 team was free would switch over to assist. Probably better this way though.

CDPR have stated on multiple occasions that the 2012 announcement was to attract talent, and not meant as traditional marketing. Honestly, I don't even care if it takes four years. The Witcher 3 was the most amazing gaming experience I've ever had, and if Cyberpunk can even match that, it's going to be a resounding success. But based on everything I've read about the game so far, it seems they're aiming much higher. I'd rather wait four years for an ambitious game to properly finish its development than have another crushing disappointment like MGS V.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Quoting myself:

It simply made a ton of sense from the studio perspective (also that the plans were different from it turned out...)

The teaser wasn't meant that way. It was primarily targeted as an advertisement to bring people into the studio to work on the game.
But then why E3...?
Yes, tons of exposure, but E3 should be for stuff that is already in progress..., or imminent work-in-progress, not 4 years out.
Unless of course the writers have already begun work on story/characters, of which I can't be aware of.

ThatGuy

They're also hiring a ton of Director/Lead/Senior staff for the game, so I believe them that it probably hasn't entered full production.

All the job ads you have posted are for the Cracow office which was a support studio until recently. The main studio who developed the majority of the 3 witcher games and is working on Cyberpunk is located in Warsaw. It seems they are staffing up the Cracow studio to have another full production team there.

On one hand, it's great to see the enthusiasm he and the team to have but at the same time disheartening to learn the game hasn't made much progress. Here's hoping the game is the cyberpunk game I've always wanted but never got.

_machine

But then why E3...?
Yes, tons of exposure, but E3 should be for stuff that is already in progress..., or imminent work-in-progress, not 4 years out.
Unless of course the writers have already begun work on story/characters, of which I can't be aware of.
Well there's no rule that it should be for anything in production, and you already answered the question; exposure is important and also it has lead to CDPR brand becoming stronger (and likely effecting the TW3 brand too).

Also the "before starting work" is very misleading in the article and title; work on the tools is work on the product and will ultimately lead to a better product. Not to mention that there's sure to be plenty of pre-production work on everything expect in-game exported work.

RPGam3r

Sounds good, take your time and make it right. Not sure why people get riled up, plenty of great games out or coming out.

Dawg

They're also hiring a ton of Director/Lead/Senior staff for the game, so I believe them that it probably hasn't entered full production.

Lead Writer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-writer/
Senior Game Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-game-designer/
Lead Level Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-level-designer/
Lead Quest Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/lead-quest-designer/
Senior Multiplayer Designer: http://en.cdprojektred.com/jobs/senior-multiplayer-designer/

And then there's less specific jobs for things like Art Director and Audio Director, and the above list is hardly exhaustive.

Could they need more people for the inevitable TW4 with Ciri? Maybe their main team goes Cyberpunk while a smaller, second team could start on that.

Could they need more people for the inevitable TW4 with Ciri? Maybe their main team goes Cyberpunk while a smaller, second team could start on that.

Their team in Krakow is probably doing Witcher 4, while Warsaw does Cyperpunk. The Karkow team helped with TW3, and recently had hirings for people familar with Sapkowski's work.

Dawg

Their team in Krakow is probably doing Witcher 4, while Warsaw does Cyperpunk. The Karkow team helped with TW3, and recently had hirings for people familar with Sapkowski's work.

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpunk 2077 hasn't entered full production yet but their main team is certainly working on it, I think.

Sounds good, take your time and make it right. Not sure why people get riled up, plenty of great games out or coming out.
Yeah, I always find the complaints about games being announced years in advance kind of odd. Like what's the problem with that? The "I forgot about it, so that means the devs announced it too early" comments seem to assume you're supposed to be hyped about, thinking about, anticipating a game from the moment it's announced to the moment it's released. Game development take time.

Nzyme32

I don't see the point in people up in arms over "not started yet". All that has been shown is a CG trailer for the game, and nothing more. Even at the time in the message within the trailer, it was suggested to be a long way off. Chances are it was announced so soon and with a CG trailer just to gauge reaction and decide if it would be a good way to go.

On point of improving dev tools and taking the time to really take on the feedback of Witcher 3, that's sounds great to me. Hopefully it will result in an even greater step forward with their new game as well as having something to attract new staff - as they specifically stated

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah, I always find the complaints about games being announced years in advance kind of odd. Like what's the problem with that? The "I forgot about it, so that means the devs announced it too early" comments seem to assume you're supposed to be hyped about, thinking about, anticipating a game from the moment it's announced to the moment it's released. Game development take time.
I have no problem with them taking their time, in fact I support it. But it's not exactly common for developers to show trailers/teasers 4 years in advance of the project entering full production...
What other cases have there been at E3?

Stiler

Wow.....I ....... I thought this game was already 3 years or so into development...

This makes me so sad :(. I thought they were releasing it in like 2017 sometime.

Whelp, hope Rockstar gets RDR 2 out soon then.

Top Bottom