• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR overhauling dev tools before starting work on Cyberpunk 2077

I am completely okay with them taking their time on this. I figured it would be a bit before the game came out, especially when they announced they were diverting resources for W3. At least they are smarter than Bungie and decided to fix their development tools before spending months or even years developing a game using them. Witcher 3 was incredibly well optimized so I expect Cyberpunk will run equally as well and look phenomenal. Anticipating a 2018 release, with CDPR's other game making a 2020 release.

Wheatly

I am completely okay with them taking their time on this. I figured it would be a bit before the game came out, especially when they announced they were diverting resources for W3. At least they are smarter than Bungie and decided to fix their development tools before spending months or even years developing a game using them. Witcher 3 was incredibly well optimized so I expect Cyberpunk will run equally as well and look phenomenal. Anticipating a 2018 release, with CDPR's other game making a 2020 release.

wait....

jond76

Banned
Pretty funny that this game was presumed to be part way into development. But to hear they are just starting? I'm finding this pretty hilarious.

Why even announce it so early? Haha

bsp

This makes me really excited. Great IP + great studio + all the money and time in the world it seems. Cannot wait.

Dolobill

I have to agree with him. It did take a while for the PS4 version to be patched to run at a stable framerate, but I haven't seen anything else in the same scope as The Witcher 3 running on the current consoles at all yet. CDPR must have worked some magic to make that game possible.

Bummer. I wish they hadn't announced this game so early. Why do developers do this to themselves? I find myself appreciating the Bethesda Game Studios approach more and more.

Aters

This is the new FFV13 isn't it? Got announced before the development started. In 2020 the game will be renamed The Witcher 5: Cyber Hunt.

speedomodel

This is the poster child of games announced too goddamn early.

No one should know what this game is and they shouldn't even be fucking talking about it...

Minions

Can't say I'm all that surprised. I still would have expected some work to have been going considering what they had said when they announced it. 10 year+ development "cycle" incoming.

singhr1

I guess people don't know that pre-production is a thing in video games?

Saying the game hasn't been "started" is a stretch. The fact that they are STILL in pre-production seemingly is the surprising part.

bsp

I guess people don't know that pre-production is a thing in video games?

Saying the game hasn't been "started" is a stretch. The fact that they are STILL in pre-production seemingly is the surprising part.

Yeah, most every game of "AAA" size is going to have 1 or 2 years of pre-production. For games like what CDPR make I would imagine even more. Core design, writing, concept art, tool building, and in-engine art tests will all be going at this stage.

wmlk

Paging Dantis, THIS is an example of a game being announced way too early

There are a bunch of games that are announced early. Dunno what makes P5 the 'perfect' example. He just wanted to post something P5 related on the Gaming side.

MartyStu

This seems about right.

Before now, CDPR was hardly large enough to work on multiple W3-sized games concurrently, so I always assumed that they were still in per-production with this thing.

And this happens often enough. FF being the obvious example, but Bioshock Infinite had a similar situation as well. And of course P5.

probably want to build as much brand awareness as possible during the Witcher 3 hype period as possible, too...

otherwise they'll likely fall off the radar for a couple years and then risk having to preface their marketing with 'From the studio that brought you Witcher 3'

Speely

Banned
Gonna be Game of the Generation, mark my words. Which generation is anyone's guess, though. ;)

One good thing is that they are obviously going all in and investing everything to their biggest project yet. Pretty exciting to consider what the result might be.

Night City is huge and dense. Crammed together and stacked on top of itself. If they are gonna realize it well, there will be so much asset and content work to do that it boggles the mind. Fun times (way) ahead!

Maligna

Banned
Before starting? ..... BEFORE STARTING!?!?!?!?
This was announced in 4 years ago!

Good games with a large scope take a long time to develop.

Take as long as you need, CDP:R.

Some of us are gonna die before we get to play this game.

God damn... why'd they have to announce it so early?

I dunno, I'd hate to have to wait another 4 years for Cyberpunk 2077. That being said Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was... an absolute masterpiece IMO. It completely surpassed my expectations and essentially redefined my standards for what a modern open-world RPG should/could be. CDPR are fantastic, I appreciate and have to applaud them for all the years worth of hard work that went into Witcher 3. They should take their time and do the IP justice. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Mass Effect: Andromeda will keep me pre-occupied until Cyberpunk comes around.

Maybe they should have had everyone working on this instead of Witcher 3 expansions :I

I wish I could force all devs to just use Unreal 4 instead of spending a bazillion years to develop their own graphics engine and then the graphics are underwhelming anyway.

jett

D-Member
Of course you can: "Lets get some great talent in our studio for TW3 and this game after we're done with TW3". Heck, you don't even need to imagine it, they said that was the point of it!

"We want to make this really cool sci-fi game and we think we could use your help. It will be awesome."

What's so hard to imagine there?

I guess I didn't realize or remember that the whole announcement was an expensive job advert. :p

bsp

Maybe they should have had everyone working on this instead of Witcher 3 expansions :I

I wish I could force all devs to just use Unreal 4 instead of spending a bazillion years to develop their own graphics engine and then the graphics are underwhelming anyway.

Their engine doesn't just contain a renderer, but also custom tools which is a very large part of any development. A company with the engineering size of CDPR will probably always be better off with a custom-rolled solution, or at least into the near future.

Didn't they announce it to attract talent to the studio?

From what I recall of the last few years, they thought they were going to be able to split into two teams and work on two different games. Years ago now they said their next two big games would be out in 2014 and 2015, with some smaller shit between them. Witcher 3 was meant to be that 2014 title, but was delayed to 2015. So, it's pretty obvious Cyberpunk was the supposed 2015 game. From there, things clearly went very much NOT as planned, and the entire studio wound up working on W3 instead.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/The_Witcher_3/3.html

I'm talking about the PC version of the game, can't attest to the quality of the Console releases. On Nvidia hardware it is insanely well optimized. Under 2GB VRAM usage at 4K? That's insane considering how good the game looks. It's unfortunate they chose to embrace Gameworks, but the game runs very well considering how good it looks. I imagine tinkering with the settings you could legitimately get the game running at 4K@30fps and looking damn good (turn SSAO off and remove some of the extra settings that add little to IQ).

Zukkoyaki

From what I recall of the last few years, they thought they were going to be able to split into two teams and work on two different games. Years ago now they said their next two big games would be out in 2014 and 2015, with some smaller shit between them. Witcher 3 was meant to be that 2014 title, but was delayed to 2015. So, it's pretty obvious Cyberpunk was the supposed 2015 game. From there, things clearly went very much NOT as planned, and the entire studio wound up working on W3 instead.
I didn't know any of that so thanks for sharing!

Judging by all of the hiring they're doing and with some help from W3's enormous success, it looks their two team approach is finally coming to fruition.

The immediate roadmap for CDPR is probably something like wrap up Blood and Wine while staffing up their second main development house. Once the expansion ships, that main team will shift toward Cyberpunk while the new team begins planning the second AAA game they want to ship by 2021.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sounds great. I have high hopes for 2077. By far a more intriguing setting than high fantasy. I'm pretty drained by this resurgence of fantasy shit.

Consumer

At this point I won't be surprised if it ends up like GTAV/TLoU releasing at the cusp of a new generation and also releases on PS5/XB2.

spectator

Blade%2BRunner%2BOpening%2BTitles.png

10/10

Kyonashi

Remember when this was supposed to release in 2015? lol

No? Because that was never the case?

They've literally never even stated a year of release for this project - the trailer was to attract talent for the studio, not the standard consumer hype machine. And even that trailer said 'Coming when it's ready.'

Having said that, hope this is all a bit of media misunderstanding and we see the game 2018 at the latest.

Harmen

Oh man, I am really bummed that this game is just starting it's dev cycle.

But what the hell? I thought they had been working on this for years now? Or was that the world building with that writer/game designer, to have a fully fleshed out lore prior to making the game?

At least we soon have Blood and Wine, which will likely be larger than most full priced games, if Hearts of Stone is any indication.

Top Bottom