• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR overhauling dev tools before starting work on Cyberpunk 2077

Speely

Banned
I am glad they are treating the game's design with the utmost consideration for quality. Who wants a decent game in a timely fashion when we could have an amazing game we had to wait for? The former are a dime a dozen; the latter are rare.

Then again I am biased. I grew up playing the pnp game that 2077 is based on (so long ago it was called 2020 then lol.) So I've waited years already for a game like this to be made ;)

All the dialogue of the game might be written already in pre even if they haven't started production.

I can't see any other reason for them stating on a few occasions that the game was "Much greater" in size and magnitude than the Witcher 3. They must have some reason to make that statement considering it now appears they haven't actually begun "development".

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
"Before starting..."? Starting????
freak.gif~original

See you next console gen, Cyberpunk 2077.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I thought we already knew they weren't even going to start on this until after they finished Witcher 3?

I don't know how big they are but it probably won't enter full production until the Witcher 3 expansions are done and they fill the some of those positions they are hiring for.

Bsigg12

Looks like we're going to get W4 before Cyberpunk 2077. And here I thought that it would release before W3 3 years ago...

Really? Their announcement of the game was very clearly a "this is what we want to do, come help us make it" ad to other developers.

Gurthang

Banned
I'm a bit worried. Why do they have to hire so many major positions? Whats wrong with the lead writers and quest designers of Witcher 3? Were most of them contract workers too?

Expectations very low

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit worried. Why do they have to hire so many major positions? Whats wrong with the lead writers and quest designers of Witcher 3? Were most of them contract workers too?

Expectations very low

Two reasons: Bigger ambitions means bigger staff, and second the staff has a right to migrate to other studios (for example the writer behind the Bloody Baron quest is now working at GG on Horizon).

Squire

Banned
The list of production babies for TW3 was loooooong, so I guess this will double it.

We need more Witcher... period. Although I am still excited for this.

Yeah... I think at this point I really would trade it for Witcher 4
starring Ciri
though, to be honest.

He admits that he’s got a little more enthusiasm for the upcoming project than he did for The Witcher 3 . For him, Cyberpunk 2077 represents a chance to explore a genre he finds more interesting.

Totally agree. Cyberpunk is much more interesting to me as the setting hasn't been done to death, opens up tons of gameplay possibilities and hits much closer to home, looking at current technological developments and corporate ethics.

BumRush

So does this mean that CDPR won't release another game between blood and wine and cyberpunk or is their studio large enough that something else might be in the works?

Jedi2016

Of course they've "started".. there's more to games than just programming. Concept, design and asset creation (meshes, textures, etc) has probably been going nonstop since TW3 was done.

Really? Their announcement of the game was very clearly a "this is what we want to do, come help us make it" ad to other developers.

Yeah, 4 years ago. They announced it before The Witcher 3 so I thought that the game was already a bit underway.

So does this mean that CDPR won't release another game between blood and wine and cyberpunk or is their studio large enough that something else might be in the works?

They have 2 team so it's possible that we're going to see another Witcher game before Cyberpunk.

Whats the evidence?
When CDPR gave their financial results there were a couple clear signs pointing to it.

1. They plan on releasing 2 AAA RPGs by 2021
2. They plan on "expanding their existing franchises"
3. They have created a total of 4 teams. What's important about that? They specifically stated 2 of them will be tasked with making games expanding into new segments. So the other team is making the mysterious 2nd AAA RPG due between 2017-2021

So CDPR have 1 team devoted to Cyberpunk and another tasked with developing another AAA RPG. Given the fact Cyberpunk is looking like a 2018 or so game they will be wanting to capitalize on the giant success of Witcher 3 as soon as they can. Combine that with their statement of expanding their existing franchises and there ya go.

Witcher 4 is likely in pre production by their 2nd team as we speak

LordofPwn

Don't they have like 3 studios? And didn't people find ui elements for cyberpunk not too long ago? And didn't CDPR say they didn't want to talk about the game for as long as they did the witcher 3? And didn't they say they wouldn't talk about the game till 2017, even though it's still early 2016 and they're talking about the game?

I'm sure they've been working on the game for awhile and are going into all hands on deck very soon.

jett

D-Member
I really can't even begin to imagine the decision behind announcing Cyberpunk when they did. I imagine this thing will be coming out by the time the PS4K's replacement has released.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't even begin to imagine the decision behind announcing Cyberpunk when they did. I imagine this thing will be coming out by the time the PS4K's replacement has released.

Of course you can: "Lets get some great talent in our studio for TW3 and this game after we're done with TW3". Heck, you don't even need to imagine it, they said that was the point of it!

KorrZ

I did not want to hear this news lol.

I knew that Cyberpunk news wasn't necessarily coming anytime soon but I thought they were at least well into the production phase at this point.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Hope the internal project code name isn't 'Titan'. Looking forward to this as it's much more my sort of thing than the Witcher series.

"We want to make this really cool sci-fi game and we think we could use your help. It will be awesome."

What's so hard to imagine there?

Wheatly

Expectations very low

They forgot that they don't have an existing story to use unlike The Witcher

Top Bottom