• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

I appreciate their super hard work but they really should work on optimizations now. For instance I remember the differences between Dolphin 3.0 and 5.0 being dramatic - and I would expect some kind of performance progress on CEMU as well.

Dolphin has been around for 13 years now.

Cemu is a brand new emulator and right now isn't even in a state where most games can run. The few that do run are still buggy and glitchy. We are nowhere near the point where anyone is thinking about performance optimization.

mario_O

You can't use the actual Gamepad.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, you can force FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel to help smooth out whatever jaggies might still remain at 4K. Also you can force Anisotropic Filtering to 16x which makes a dramatic effect in MK8.

Going to try this. In Nvidia Control Panel do I force these changes to the Cemu.exe or the game?

Zexen

You can't use the actual Gamepad.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, you can force FXAA in the Nvidia Control Panel to help smooth out whatever jaggies might still remain at 4K. Also you can force Anisotropic Filtering to 16x which makes a dramatic effect in MK8.

I don't know if it's specific to XCX (I don't think tho'), but you can actually use SSAA and it does a far better job at cleaning IQ and shimmering than going for big ass resolution. And if it's too clean/soft for some peoples, just inject lumasharpen with reshade and boom, you're good to go.

5120x2880 1080 DS
32365275075_741f5565bc_o.jpg

2880x1620 + SSAA NVCP 1080 DS
31522814954_a3f6cb0acf_o.jpg

Sorry about the OSD, for whatever reason it's flipped upside down, so I fixed it.

Going to try this. In Nvidia Control Panel do I force these changes to the Cemu.exe or the game?
The cemu executable.

I'm very impressed with Cemu, good work:)
When I take a picture with Shift+Prt screen and paste it in Paint it's so clear and true 4K quality, but when i play the image quality is much less clear and that's why I thought 4K did not work. Why is it like this? And some youtube vids looks even better than me playing on a 4K screen, even with Youtube compression.

Vuze

I'm very impressed with Cemu, good work:)
When I take a picture with Shift+Prt screen and paste it in Paint it's so clear and true 4K quality, but when i play the image quality is much less clear and that's why I thought 4K did not work. Why is it like this? And some youtube vids looks even better than me playing on a 4K screen, even with Youtube compression.
Do you have DPI scaling disabled for Cemu (or in general)? https://www.reddit.com/r/cemu/comments/5ogv3l/psa_if_all_games_look_lowres_and_pixelated_to_you/

kinggroin

Banned
Is it possible to run WW @ 60 fps?

Damn this emulator is impressive. Any reason why we dont have a decent 360 emulator? I can understand ps3 because of its wierd architecture.

It runs the games at the original speed if it's able to, but no faster than that

So Mario Kart 8 runs almost at 60 fps all the time but I have some dips to the 50~55fps territory quite often, this happens regardless of the resolution I play be it 720/1080/4k I have a beefy computer with an GTX1080.
Is this normal behavior or should be this game be running at at constant 60fps pegged?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Anyone gets New Super Luigi U crashing after you press start? I see people can run it but somehow it crashes for me. Toad plays pretty damn well at least.

jediyoshi

I appreciate their super hard work but they really should work on optimizations now. For instance I remember the differences between Dolphin 3.0 and 5.0 being dramatic - and I would expect some kind of performance progress on CEMU as well.

Dolphin 3.0.. 2011. Dolphin 5.0, 2016. So give it 5 years I guess.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Bayo 2 is immensely fucked up. Unplayable for me. Stutters + horrible sound issues.

Anything I can do to get better results? Core i3 4130, R9 280, 8 GB DDR3 .

pestul

It's amazing to see how fast you guys made this emulator perfect. Congratulations!

I have a friend playing his Wii U games now on his TV in Full HD using Steam Link. He says that the differences in Mario Kart 8 from 720p on his console to 1080p with Cemu are notable.

I have doubts about the gamepad. How is it emulated? Is it possible to play games that need the gamepad?
That's hilarious with the Steam Link streaming @1080p better than Wii Us native 720p. I would actually love to try that with mine.. I shouldn't be surprised, I find 1080p PC games look really dang good with my set up too.

So I just ran Super Mario World 3D with the 4k pack and got the same pretty stable 60 fps I had with the default resolution. Do the resolution packs come for free in terms of performance or what?

dsk1210

So I just ran Super Mario World 3D with the 4k pack and got the same pretty stable 60 fps I had with the default resolution. Do the resolution packs come for free in terms of performance or what?

No, but the games are not gpu intensive so there is big overhead on your gpu to push the resolution.

Copper

I don't know if it's specific to XCX (I don't think tho'), but you can actually use SSAA and it does a far better job at cleaning IQ and shimmering than going for big ass resolution. And if it's too clean/soft for some peoples, just inject lumasharpen with reshade and boom, you're good to go.

5120x2880 1080 DS

Sorry about the OSD, for whatever reason it's flipped upside down, so I fixed it.

The cemu executable.

Do I run it alongside the 4k graphic pack?

Vuze

So, Captain Toad. I've ran into the door bug in level 17 but the emulateSinglePrecision fix apparently doesn't work. Or do I need to enable gameProfiles in some way?

I use the EU version and have confirmed 0005000010180700.ini exists and contains the following (I think it's even bundled with Cemu).
Code:
# Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (EUR)

[CPU]
emulateSinglePrecision = true

[Graphics]
accurateShaderMul = false

Anyone else can comment on this?

5120x2880 1080 DS
32365275075_741f5565bc_o.jpg

31522814954_a3f6cb0acf_o.jpg

The cemu executable.

I was messing around in the control panel today and they must've changed the settings. As far as I can see you can't do MSAA anymore? It's FXAA, MSFF(which is game specific or something), and super sampling. This is on a 1070. I remember there being MSAA and stuff in here before though with my 780ti. Is that stuff gone? Or in the GeForce experience or something? I'd like to try what you recommended. Anything to help balance the scales. My GPU essentially does nothing to help while running Cemu.

jediyoshi

What controller is best to use with CEMU? I also thought you needed a gamepad because I didn't really know much about this emulator.

Any controller with the standard 4 shoulder/2 joystick/dpad/face buttons layout is fine.

Actual Wii U gamepads aren't supported as there's no real way to connect them to your computer.

Any controller with the standard 4 shoulder/2 joystick/dpad/face buttons layout is fine.

Actual Wii U gamepads aren't supported as there's no real way to connect them to your computer.

Ah ok that's cool. Thanks for the info. Playing some of my Wii U games with a ds4 or xb1 controller will be awesome.

So Mario Kart 8 runs almost at 60 fps all the time but I have some dips to the 50~55fps territory quite often, this happens regardless of the resolution I play be it 720/1080/4k I have a beefy computer with an GTX1080.
Is this normal behavior or should be this game be running at at constant 60fps pegged?

My experience has been the same as yours, so I'm guessing it's an optimization issue on the emulator's end.

Okay I have a bit of a problem, could anyone help me? My Mario Kart 8 1080p/4k graphic-packs aren't working, they aren't in the "Active" list despite being ticked.

I dumped the game with WUDumper off my disk and unpacked it with UWizard. Then I used UWizard to download the update version 64 for TitleID 500001010ed00, decrypted the patch and copied everything into my Mario Kart 8 folder.

The update was successful as Mario Kart 8 plays fine, shows Version 4.1 on the title-screen and 200cc is available but the the graphic-packs don't hook :/

Here is my log:

Code:
TitleId of launched game: 500001010ed00
Loading game profile "gameProfiles\000500001010ed00.ini"
Recompiler initialized. CPU extensions: AVX

dsk1210

My experience has been the same as yours, so I'm guessing it's an optimization issue on the emulator's end.

It might be because the actual framerate for Mario Kart 8 is 59fps with a repeating frame.

I sometimes get it smooth for a while, then it still displays 60fps but is not smooth anymore and then it goes back to being smooth again.

I think it might be the frame time.

I fixed my issue, apparently Mario Kart 8's EU ID is supposed to be 000500001010ed00 but due to my patch shenanigans with UWizard where I omitted the leading three zeros I changed my game's ID to 500001010ed00 o.o

So I just manually added 500001010ed00 to the graphic-pack rules and it works now :)

Seik

Banned
Mario 3D World runs pretty much perfectly in 4K.

Though something bugs me, the IQ on my screen doesn't look like jediyoshi's, for example.

There some sort of weird ugly grain effect around Mario, anyone knows how to correct that? (This is from a PNG, not zoomed 4K shot I did.)

mario4kigr8d.png

jediyoshi

There some sort of weird ugly grain effect around Mario, anyone knows how to correct that? (This is from a PNG, not zoomed 4K shot I did.)

mario4kigr8d.png

Doesn't show up on my screens because I downsample the images. The effect you're seeing is their post process AA, they selectively put it on objects and characters which is why it doesn't show up on everything. It's shader based so someone with the know how could remove it with a graphic pack someday. It works pretty well at native res for the clear pipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vr35c3ggs

Seik

Banned
Doesn't show up on my screens because I downsample the images. The effect you're seeing is their post process AA, they selectively put it on objects and characters which is why it doesn't show up on everything. It's shader based so someone with the know how could remove it with a graphic pack someday. It works pretty well at native res for the clear pipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_vr35c3ggs

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it a lot. :)

EDIT: Xenoblade Chronicles X - 4K

xeno4kk2owp.jpg

I recorded a short video, just one of the opening cutscenes, of Xenoblade Chronicles X running in 4K.

The framerate is sometimes more than a bit questionable, especially because Nvidia Share imposes some overhead, but the image quality speaks for itself. It's hard to believe this game started out on the Wii U, because the environment and texture detail is actually very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzo91nO0xRQ

BONKERS

I'd imagine a Wii U pro controller + Mayflash's adapter would work, would it not. Just detected as DInput or XInput.}

But seriously, how is Wii U emulation even possible playably?? Is it just one big hacky mess?

Soodanim

I'd imagine a Wii U pro controller + Mayflash's adapter would work, would it not. Just detected as DInput or XInput.}

But seriously, how is Wii U emulation even possible playably?? Is it just one big hacky mess?
I didn't think of that, and I own the Mayflash adapter!

I haven't yet tried it, although I could probably do okay (i5 4690k, 970). I think it's because I'm still in disbelief that an emulator running games this well during a console's generation is not common.

marmoka

Banned
I recorded a short video, just one of the opening cutscenes, of Xenoblade Chronicles X running in 4K.

The framerate is sometimes more than a bit questionable, especially because Nvidia Share imposes some overhead, but the image quality speaks for itself. It's hard to believe this game started out on the Wii U, because the environment and texture detail is actually very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzo91nO0xRQ

Xenoblade Chronicles X is wonderful!

I don't remember the original having all that bloom. A little more and I would need sunglasses to watch the video.

Vuze

Dario ff's shadowmap mod also works for CTT :eek: Seems like enhancements are cross-compatible in general. I hope somebody gets rid of the post-processing AA at some point.

unbenannt-387ko9.jpg

Top Bottom