• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu Thread: Emulating Wii U Games

Zexen

Do I run it alongside the 4k graphic pack?
Not the point tho', the thing is that you can have better IQ with a lower resolution + ssaa than you could have with a far bigger resoltuiion, for almost the same performance. But of, course you can do this with any resolution that you want, granting you better IQ, but at some point, diminishing returns will kick in.

I was messing around in the control panel today and they must've changed the settings. As far as I can see you can't do MSAA anymore? It's FXAA, MSFF(which is game specific or something), and super sampling. This is on a 1070. I remember there being MSAA and stuff in here before though with my 780ti. Is that stuff gone? Or in the GeForce experience or something? I'd like to try what you recommended. Anything to help balance the scales. My GPU essentially does nothing to help while running Cemu.
I simply use these settings, works fine (hook it to cemu.exe of course).
2017-01-18_181903a5uob.png

Not the point tho', the thing is that you can have better IQ with a lower resolution + ssaa than you could have with a far bigger resoltuiion, for almost the same performance. But of, course you can do this with any resolution that you want, granting you better IQ, but at some point, diminishing returns will kick in.

I simply use these settings, works fine (hook it to cemu.exe of course).
2017-01-18_181903a5uob.png

I appreciate it. Yours looks significantly different than mine. Do you get there by right clicking on the desktop and hitting Nvidia Control Panel? I assumed that's what you were referring to, but it looks like I was not correct. Also do you use dual monitors? Your initial post had non standard resolutions, assuming those were resolutions.

I can get the game looking pretty good, but man she chugs during combat. Particularly in chapter 6 now that I have 4 skells. I'll be blasting a group of baddies and it'll drop to like single digits. Might be time to upgrade the ole Ivy bridge but she has been a champ for so long it's hard to part with. I mean I've had it OC'd to 5ghz since day 1 without a hitch. That's a helleva processor.

dsk1210

I appreciate it. Yours looks significantly different than mine. Do you get there by right clicking on the desktop and hitting Nvidia Control Panel? I assumed that's what you were referring to, but it looks like I was not correct. Also do you use dual monitors? Your initial post had non standard resolutions, assuming those were resolutions.

I can get the game looking pretty good, but man she chugs during combat. Particularly in chapter 6 now that I have 4 skells. I'll be blasting a group of baddies and it'll drop to like single digits. Might be time to upgrade the ole Ivy bridge but she has been a champ for so long it's hard to part with. I mean I've had it OC'd to 5ghz since day 1 without a hitch. That's a helleva processor.

He is using Nvidia Inspector not the Nvidia control panel.

He is using Nvidia Inspector not the Nvidia control panel.

Ah, that would explain it. Thought he was using the control panel since his SS was labeled NVCP. Figured that was Nvidia control panel. Think I'm going to stick with the CP though. Somehow it fixed the game pad and I can see probes now. They are not obscured by something anymore which is real handy. Been messing with FXAA and MFAA(not sure why my phone changes that to MSFF) but both appear to do nothing.

MFAA requires the game to specifically support it, otherwise it does nothing.

FXAA is good at smoothing edges, so you can look for it's effects there. Especially on high-contrast images like TWW, SM3DW, and MK8, the edges really look a lot better with FXAA.

UltraJay

I'm using Fraps but for some reason it saves the pictures in 1080p even when I'm using 4k resolution (while shift - print saves correctly at 3840 x 2160).

That's what I'm asking. Is shift+print CEMU's function? Where does it save? Shift+print definitely freezes gameplay for a second so I was sure that was saving a screenshot.

jediyoshi

That's what I'm asking. Is shift+print CEMU's function? Where does it save? Shift+print definitely freezes gameplay for a second so I was sure that was saving a screenshot.

It only puts it into your clipboard, you have to paste it somewhere and manually save it.

I'm using Fraps but for some reason it saves the pictures in 1080p even when I'm using 4k resolution (while shift - print saves correctly at 3840 x 2160).

Cemu fullscreen matches your desktop res, the supersampling happens internally.

Eirulan

Hi
Sorry if this has been asked before.
If 1.7.1 comes out, can I copy over my own precompiled shader caches or only the transferable ones?

Zexen

Ah, that would explain it. Thought he was using the control panel since his SS was labeled NVCP. Figured that was Nvidia control panel. Think I'm going to stick with the CP though. Somehow it fixed the game pad and I can see probes now. They are not obscured by something anymore which is real handy. Been messing with FXAA and MFAA(not sure why my phone changes that to MSFF) but both appear to do nothing.

It should give you this basically with the control panel.
nvcpcemumouou.png

Antialiasing - mode : Override
Antialiasing - settings : 8x (It's multi sampling)
Antialiasing - transparency : 8x (Super sampling)

The thing is just to keep transparency and settings at the same sample, not a 8x-2x hybrid for exemple.

I should add that since I'm on a SLI setup, MFAA is not an option for me, so disable it for your case.

pestul

Anyone have trouble with 1.7d working on the first run through then subsequent game plays it just crashes. I'm trying to isolate what's happening, but I just get cemu.exe has stopped working after title screens. Odd..

jediyoshi

It also happens with a 4K monitor/tv. Must be a bug. It happened to me a few times recording with shadowplay.

Your desktop is in 4k and your capture software records in 1080p? That's a bug on your end, shadowplay records at 4k for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhm6sxurVE

If 1.7.1 comes out, can I copy over my own precompiled shader caches or only the transferable ones?

There's no benefit in making entirely new install folders when new versions come out. If you copy over all the new files into an existing Cemu install, everything will be intact.

Has anyone tried XCX with Host Based Timer? I crash as soon as the game loads with. Works fine Cycle based, but some are reporting increased performance with Host based. Wondering if there's any truth to that?

Flandy

Wii U gamepad isn't supported because encryption or something, right? Think it'd ever be possible to stream the feed to an iPad or something?

Pokemaniac

Wii U gamepad isn't supported because encryption or something, right? Think it'd ever be possible to stream the feed to an iPad or something?

Last I looked into Wii U GamePad libraries for PC, it seemed that the thing relies on some weird hardware voodoo that only a small number of WiFi chips played well with. I've no idea if that limitation was ever worked around, however.

jediyoshi

It's not supported because the part where you connect it to a PC itself isn't even a very established thing. It requires a wifi adapter with a very specific, hard to find chipset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC1CqQK_beU

Has anyone tried XCX with Host Based Timer? I crash as soon as the game loads with. Works fine Cycle based, but some are reporting increased performance with Host based. Wondering if there's any truth to that?
I don't notice a difference for XCX currently, but in general you want to stick with host based timer. The recommended label is a huge misnomer at this point that stems from when host based was still a newer, more experimental feature.

Flandy

Last I looked into Wii U GamePad libraries for PC, it seemed that the thing relies on some weird hardware voodoo that only a small number of WiFi chips played well with. I've no idea if that limitation was ever worked around, however.

It's not supported because the part where you connect it to a PC itself isn't even a very established thing. It requires a wifi adapter with a very specific, hard to find chipset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC1CqQK_beU

I don't notice a difference for XCX currently, but in general you want to stick with host based timer. The recommended label is a huge misnomer at this point that stems from when host based was still a newer, more experimental feature.

I see
How does the emulator get around this if a game needs to use the gamepad? Is there a gamepad window or something that you can switch to?

jediyoshi

I see
How does the emulator get around this if a game needs to use the gamepad? Is there a gamepad window or something that you can switch to?

You hold the tab key to display the gamepad screen. Mouse click to touch. Plenty of games like Mario Maker mirror displays, so often you don't even need be "seeing" the gamepad display to be able to interact with it.

kinggroin

Banned
You hold the tab key to display the gamepad screen. Mouse click to touch. Plenty of games like Mario Maker mirror displays, so often you don't even need be "seeing" the gamepad display to be able to interact with it.

Tab key even if you're using a 360 controller to emulate the gamepad?

Business

So if I run a game at 4k (tested shift+printscreen and paste to photoshop) but my montior is 1440p, how does it work, it downsamples de 4k image to fit my monitor's native resolution?

Galava

So if I run a game at 4k (tested shift+printscreen and paste to photoshop) but my montior is 1440p, how does it work, it downsamples de 4k image to fit my monitor's native resolution?

Yes, renders it at 4k and then downsamples to fit your resolution.

Been trying to fix the low res shadows in Wind Waker. Narrowed it down to:

Code:
[TextureRedefine] # shadows
width = 1024
height = 1024
formats = 0x005
overwriteWidth = 4096
overwriteHeight = 4096

but unfortunately it seems that raising the resolution causes Cemu to crash after compiling the shader cache. I can however LOWER the resolution to values below 1024, and the game loads just fine with even lower res shadows:

31589935904_8ee8f885a0_b.jpg

Anyone have any ideas as to what more can be done? I'm guessing that in addition to the shadow textures, maybe there are other 1024x1024 textures of format 0x005 that for whatever reason can't be raised beyond that resolution, and therefore causing Cemu to crash.

4K 60fps Super Mario 3D World with DoF removed is a sight to behold.

I feel like I am playing the equivalent of a next next-gen Nintendo console.

I waited after the initial 1.7.0 release to grab a decent shader cache, and for the most part the game is locked 60 for me. Some levels there are pretty obvious drops, but they are only here and there.

Specs:
6700k @ 4.7
16gb DD4
980ti

ss_lemonade

Is there a way to run this in exclusive fullscreen mode? My laptop seems to run it pretty well, but I also run into the usual BS diagonal tearing problem associated with nvidia optimus and windowed apps :(

jediyoshi

Is there a way to run this in exclusive fullscreen mode? My laptop seems to run it pretty well, but I also run into the usual BS diagonal tearing problem associated with nvidia optimus and windowed apps :(

Options -> Enable VSync could help with screen tearing.

ss_lemonade

Options -> Enable VSync could help with screen tearing.

Vsync doesn't help. It's just a 2-3 year problem now with nvidia optimus laptops and windowed/borderless windowed apps that no one (microsoft, nvidia, laptop manufacturers) seems to care to address and fix. The only real fix is to run apps in exclusive fullscreen mode.

Is the ram requirement on GPU or system?

Also would a Intel 4130 and an overclocked 750ti be able to handle this stuff?

RAM would be system RAM. Your GPU matters very little here. Although you'll have to restart when your VRAM fills, the emulator doesn't have trash collection. So the lower your VRAM, the more you have to restart. You might be able to handle games like Mario. You will not be able to do games like Xenoblade X. Even with a 3770k @ 5ghz and a 1070 many of the areas in XCX dip to ~15fps for me and even for the people with i7-6700k processors on Youtube. Those people showing the opening field with just Elma aren't giving you a true representation of the game. Even I was at 30 fps in those same places. Head into town and watch your fps sink. Maybe, and that's a big maybe as in doubtful, a Kaby Lake i7-7770k could render those same spots above 20 and be relatively playable, but I have no way of knowing that for certain. So the answer to your question is: Probably for games that require less of your machine, like Mario and Captain Toad. Almost certainly not for games that require more of your machine, like XCX.

Top Bottom