• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu (Wii U Emulator) introduces customizable graphics (increased internal res&more)

A lot of Nintendo games tend to use assets that are way higher quality than the system can actually render, so I expect that when this matures, it will eventually lead to amazing looking emulation.

I had a discussion with a friend about this a few weeks ago. Looking at the ridiculously high quality renders used for marketing, is it possible Nintendo make all their assets including character models at near CG level and then downgrade them for WiiU and 3DS ? Or is it entirely different models and assets for marketing.

Seems like it would save time using one set of assets for everything.

The 1080p / 4k screenshots are fantastic. Shows what a simple resolution boost can do to improve a games overall look and presentation. Xenoblade in 4k is astounding!

iFirez

If BoTW is fully playable on PC on release day and ends up looking better than both the Switch and Wii U edition, I bet Nintendo lawyers would get this shut down in a instant.
They didn't do that with Skyward Sword on Dolphin. Heck that got leaked a week or so before it hit store shelves and ran amazingly well on Dolphin and looked damn good too.

This emulator is advancing so fast, it's insane.

I have Cemu 1.6.4b and was just playing some Super Mario 3d World. Once the shaders have been generated, it runs perfectly.

So about the shader generation stutters.. I remember reading that they said that once the shaders have been generated, they can be copied and used across all PCs. So we can assume that in the future similar to the 'graphic packs' that there will be 'shader packs' that we can download which will already have all the shaders generated so the games run smoothly, correct?

Is it possible to have the game pre-generate all the shaders without having to play through it completely and create the file for upload?

-shadow-

Damn that doesn't seem too difficult at all, how long does it take to rip?

The final dump of Project Zero Maiden of Black Water is 13,9GB for me, ripped it from the disc over a wired connection and it took just under three hours I think. But that was over a wired connection which copied the files at around 1200kb/s, a friend of mind has done the same but wireless and that went at a speed of about 300kb/s. So for him it lasted nearly eleven hours in total.

Teletraan1

Banned
Damn that doesn't seem too difficult at all, how long does it take to rip?

I had to choose the largest game I have of course. It is still going but I was warned to turn off auto shutdown on the WiiU so probably a while longer. It probably depends on your network connection more than anything. I was just surprised by how easy it all was. I was worried about a digital future but not really anymore.

jediyoshi

So about the shader generation stutters.. I remember reading that they said that once the shaders have been generated, they can be copied and used across all PCs. So we can assume that in the future similar to the 'graphic packs' that there will be 'shader packs' that we can download which will already have all the shaders generated so the games run smoothly, correct?

Is it possible to have the game pre-generate all the shaders without having to play through it completely and create the file for upload?

Absolutely. I'd guess there's enough distance with the donator release that people will have released 'premade' game caches by the time the public release is out.

If BoTW is fully playable on PC on release day and ends up looking better than both the Switch and Wii U edition, I bet Nintendo lawyers would get this shut down in a instant.

emulators themselves are difficult to take down as typically the only thing likely to be covered by copyright law is firmware which is why no PS2 or PS1 emulator includes them although some PS1 emus do include a high level bios that works for a lot of games.

nkarafo

So about the shader generation stutters.. I remember reading that they said that once the shaders have been generated, they can be copied and used across all PCs.
I remember differently. Already compiled shaders aren't compatible with different versions of the emulator, a different graphics card or a different graphics card driver version. If one of those things is changed, you need to compile from start.

jediyoshi

I remember differently. Already compiled shaders aren't compatible with different versions of the emulator, a different graphics card or a different graphics card driver version. If one of those things is changed, you need to compile fresh.

This same upcoming release has changed this. Shader caches will be transferable between computers and forward compatible with new versions. Only one more time to suffer the stutter :p

Corpsepyre

Banned
So, a few questions.

Will Bayonetta 1 and 2 work on my AMD R9 280, but with a Core i3 4130 processor and 8 GB RAM? Also, can I play with xbox 360 controllers?

MUnited83

For you.
They can't do anything against it, no matter how much they would want to.

Eiji

This is exactly what I was waiting for.

bullets.gif

Same, Xenoblade at 4K!

I'd be a lot more interested in this emulator if there was a safe and well known way to get the games without using disks that you own. Don't get me wrong, I would own all the games I'd like to emulate but my PC doesn't have a disk drive so it would be impossible.

jediyoshi

huh
interesting

Cemu supports emulating 8 controllers and 3 controller types. You can use keyboard, x360/one controller, and just about any generic controller that shows up in your 'Devices and Printers' section in windows. I use a DS4 that gets picked up natively, nice for using the gyro to control the mouse cursor and touchpad to click for touch.

So, a few questions.

Will Bayonetta 1 and 2 work on my AMD R9 280, but with a Core i3 4130 processor and 8 GB RAM? Also, can I play with xbox 360 controllers?

I wouldn't classify the Bayonetta games as playable just yet, though once optimized that hardware should be fine. Bottleneck would likelier be the CPU clock speed if it's at stock.

Ok this caught me off guard.

For real?

Yep, nice trade off for this release taking a little longer than usual.

pizzacat

Banned
Cemu supports emulating 8 controllers and 3 controller types. You can use keyboard, x360/one controller, and just about any generic controller that shows up in your 'Devices and Printers' section in windows. I use a DS4 that gets picked up natively, nice for using the gyro to control the mouse cursor and touchpad to click for touch.

thats gdlk

I'm going to try that out. I have xbx and smm. How would xbx be displayed without tablet can you have a tablet view?

jediyoshi

thats gdlk

I'm going to try that out. I have xbx and smm. How would xbx be displayed without tablet can you have a tablet view?

It's the keyboard tab key to show the gamepad display, ctrl+tab to toggle it. Text prompts are entered with the keyboard.

Yup. This is awesome.

Can I export my WiiU save?

Dereck

So are we talking legit like no fucking joke go buy Breath of Wild on Wii U just to emulate it with a 1070 or do I need to just calm down and wait and see

farisr

So are we talking legit like no fucking joke go buy Breath of Wild on Wii U just to emulate it with a 1070 or do I need to just calm down and wait and see
Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of that as I've basically been considering BoTW a Switch only title in my mind.

nkarafo

Yeah, I would like to play it without the terrible SSAO implementation. (Or, hey, replace it with a good one)
What's bad about it? I never played the game, only saw some footage and screenshots of it but the SSAO looked good to me, at least for the art direction this game has.

Eiji

Fast Racing NEO is also another game that will benefit massively from an increase in internal resolution.

The game renders at a resolution between 480p and 720p on the Wii U, sometimes as low as 640x720.

Imagine the increase to 3840x2160 or higher!

MartyStu

One of the best things about Nintendo's modern consoles is how relatively easy it has been to emulate all of them.

I am very happy with this.

Top Bottom