• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cemu (Wii U Emulator) introduces customizable graphics (increased internal res&more)

Madao

my memory must be playing with me. i don't remember the games looking as bad as the left side of the screenshots posted.

maybe the right side is what makes them look bad being that close.

Vlaphor

If you offer me Bayonetta 1 and 2 in 4k then I will gladly take Bayonetta 1 and 2 in 4k. I might actually play through TMS now as well. Tried playing the uncut version on my Wii U, but the extended load times per battle were just a bit too much for me to want to proceed.

Hope this isn't dependent on AMD since I have a 980 ti

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
my memory must be playing with me. i don't remember the games looking as bad as the left side of the screenshots posted.

maybe the right side is what makes them look bad being that close.
I didn't remember Skyward Sword having terrible IQ until I tried to replay it a couple years ago. The mind's eye does amazing things for game visuals.

jediyoshi

incredible

dat nintendo art design at 4k

Speaking of which

AFBC9Ha.png

Sure, over a year ago, but in emu development time this was basically yesterday

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is why people worrying about switch's visual capability regardless of its power deficiency to the other consoles are being ridiciulous.

Look at how big of a boost Wii U games got just from a resolution boost to 1080p. they look beautiful. The fact that undocked mode is more powerful than Wii U, and docked mode is designed to run content at higher fidelities, this type of upgrade and more is what you'll be experiencing with Switch.

This is why people worrying about switch's visual capability regardless of its power deficiency to the other consoles are being ridiciulous.

Look at how big of a boost Wii U games got just from a resolution boost to 1080p. they look beautiful. The fact that undocked mode is more powerful than Wii U, and docked mode is designed to run content at higher fidelities, this type of upgrade and more is what you'll be experiencing with Switch.

That's kinda like saying don't worry about graphics in Bethesda games we will just mod them. That has a truth to it, but it doesn't excuse the devs for being lazy. The same is true with Nintendo, they shouldn't really be putting out weak hardware when that didn't work for them last time. Can we make it better? Sure, with a emulator that takes people years to build. That's not a credit to Nintendo, none of this a credit to Nintendo. Give it up for the Cemu dev team, but shame on Nintendo for making poor hardware that limits their games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That's kinda like saying don't worry about graphics in Bethesda games we will just mod them. That has a truth to it, but it doesn't excuse the devs for being lazy. The same is true with Nintendo, they shouldn't really be putting out weak hardware when that didn't work for them last time. Can we make it better? Sure, with a emulator that takes people years to build. That's not a credit to Nintendo, none of this a credit to Nintendo. Give it up for the Cemu dev team, but shame on Nintendo for making poor hardware that limits their games.

I'm not saying that nintendo are making weak hardware. I mean that despite the hardware they have they make beautiful games that still hold up today. So Switch which is more powerful, has far more advanced architecture and ability to run modern graphical pipelines doesn't have an issue with its hardware in a vacuum.

Its only when you compare to the other consoles does the disparity even matter.

3DS was able to have something like Revelations which resembled the console RE's in 7th gen so much, it was pretty much ported over with a few graphical tweaks and could have been mistaken as a 7th gen title.

We're talking about a handheld with only a small fraction of the power of those consoles, just because it supported modern shaders that emulated the look of the console titles.

That's what happens when you use the same CPU for 3 gens in a row.

I imagine that it's gonna be a little tougher to emulate the Switch in the future as Nintendo has finally scrapped that older CPU as well as going with gamecards.

And what would you use to read the discs?

I was thinking the PC itself, just like you could use PS2 discs on PC & play games that way using the PS2 emulator that's called PCSX2.

Though I suppose that's not possible.

Vash63

Any plans on open sourcing this emulator? I love Dolphin and the amount of increasingly active development since they moved to Github is exceptional. It also has top notch Linux support and is an early adopter of Vulkan, I was hoping for some WiiU emulators in the vein of Dolphin.

Any plans on open sourcing this emulator? I love Dolphin and the amount of increasingly active development since they moved to Github is exceptional. It also has top notch Linux support and is an early adopter of Vulkan, I was hoping for some WiiU emulators in the vein of Dolphin.

Look up the emulator "decaf" which is already progressing super nicely as well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
OK, I tried both methods for dumping a game.

Assuming you're talking about ddd, the only other homebrew app I could point you to is wudump, which dumps to WUD format which is still supported by Cemu.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wudump-dump-raw-images-from-a-wiiu-game-disc.451736/

This is the easier one, but unfortunately it doesn't dump digital games, so I used one of the few games I have on disc, Mario Kart 8. It took around 2 hours I think.

I just followed this linked from the cemu reddit sidebar labeled how do I rip my games.

http://pastebin.com/WVqrbWg2

It was fairly painless. I am ripping XCX right now. It is digital but I assume discs work the same way. I have a few disc games I might give a try.

This one seems more complicated, but once you have everything in place it works really nice. Too bad it does it over the network I just left Xenoblade X dumping when I left for work this morning. I hope it will be ready by the time I go back home.

Now I can try both games tonight, if the version is out.

I'm salivating over here. Are there easy ways to make a dump of my digital copy of XCX via my WiiU and export it to try it out on my PC in cEmu? Gonna have to look into this :D

See the link just above. Unfortunately it seems to be the only method to work with digital games and it dumps them over the network to your PC.

Since the games are mostly just coloured polygons and not much textures and that, that way the visuals age really well, most Nintendo games hardly use demanding textures and goto more simpler graphics

What could stand out negatively is low polygon count. Nintendo are very efficient with techniques to make games look good on weak slow hardware using simple bright colours and all is good enough and works for them

The problem with just coloured polygons is stuff like per-vertex lighting becomes obvious where it wasn't before. 3DS supports per-pixel lighting though and a few games utilise it, which is nice.

KainXVIII

This emulator always crashes for me in every game that i tried (after title screen with controls in Super Mario 3d World for example)

Luigiv

Seems like it's finally time to give cemu a shot. Does anyone know a good method/app for dumping digital games?

Edit: Never mind already mentioned above.

UltraJay

I guess I'll get at least a 64 GB SD card in order to fully finish installing homebrew on my Wii U (for the duplication of the home menu which helps against bricking) but I'll probably go the other route for now which just requires one of the DS games on the eShop (probably Brain Training as you have to replace the ROM in it).

Anyone can install homebrew on their Wii U's right now. The latest firmware is still capable of installing it.

I just watched a video of XCX benchmark which is posted last week.

The game's running at 25-ish fps on a 4670 & 750ti combo. It's not maxing the cpu nor gpu at all.

Top Bottom