• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CES 2017] Samsung and google hits it out of the park with the Chromebook Plus/Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun-drop

going to try installing the samsung mail APK from the S8 ... maybe the best email client i've used? see how it compares to outlook but the threaded view toggle FTW imo

dcll

Banned
I just picked up the Plus used off letgo and when I opened Chrome it took me to an offers page and gave me $20 in credit on Google Play! This thing is awesome so far, the only thing I dont like is no back light on the keys, other than that it is more than sufficient for my computing needs

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
After about 7 months of using my Plus, it has developed a "phantom touch" issue. Meaning the window you are using my minimize on it's own, apps will open randomly, and links on screen will be clicked without any intervention from the user. This is a known problem, Samsung is aware and will "fix" your device if you send it back. This is supposed to take 1-2 weeks (sure). I use my Chromebook daily, so not sure what I am going to do. Reading the Samsung support forums, the "fix" seems to only work for a short time anyway, so I think I am going to jump ship to the Asus.

It seems every single Samsung device I have bought has failed on me in one way or another. TVs, washer, dryer, now this.

After about 7 months of using my Plus, it has developed a "phantom touch" issue. Meaning the window you are using my minimize on it's own, apps will open randomly, and links on screen will be clicked without any intervention from the user. This is a known problem, Samsung is aware and will "fix" your device if you send it back. This is supposed to take 1-2 weeks (sure). I use my Chromebook daily, so not sure what I am going to do. Reading the Samsung support forums, the "fix" seems to only work for a short time anyway, so I think I am going to jump ship to the Asus.

It seems every single Samsung device I have bought has failed on me in one way or another. TVs, washer, dryer, now this.

OMG. Mine has exactly the same thing. I can't use touch screen or the phantom touch will click the uppper left screen like a mad man. I regard I switch from Asus to Samsung chromebook.

ty_hot

My Plus just got updated. The inverted scrolling wheel on my bluetooth mouse finally works yay! There is a new 'welcome screen' (The one where you log in to your account) and a new 'menu' to open your apps (both are much more beautiful).

The Play Store is not marked as "Beta" anymore, and it seems that android apps are a little bit more responsive than before.

Looks like Google Assistant isn't enabled yet, but it is coming soon.

No idea if they fixed the WPA issue already...

My Plus just got updated. The inverted scrolling wheel on my bluetooth mouse finally works yay! There is a new 'welcome screen' (The one where you log in to your account) and a new 'menu' to open your apps (both are much more beautiful).

The Play Store is not marked as "Beta" anymore, and it seems that android apps are a little bit more responsive than before.

Looks like Google Assistant isn't enabled yet, but it is coming soon.

No idea if they fixed the WPA issue already...

The Play Store going out of beta fixed all remaining issues I've had with Android apps. They all work perfectly for me now. In the past I've had some issues with not being able to use touch/click action on some objects for example.

The newest update that I got yesterday is pretty slick too.

I will note that in the 6 months since I got mine the touchscreen completely stopped working. Like no touch works any more. Pen still works which... honestly I almost prefer it this way since I was getting tired of doing unexpected things if I touched my screen and when I need to I can still use the pen. It's just two finger touch actions aren't possible which kinda sucks for some apps.

I can't even send it in for a fix since I ordered mine from the US and I'm in Canada, and the system isn't even for sale in Canada (still!).

Other than that I'm pretty happy. I'm still really impressed with the performance considering it's an ARM chip, and because I can run Android apps I'm getting better perf in some cases than my wife is seeing on her Macbook w/ Core M3 since web HTML5 video seems to be more resource intensive than an Android app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom