• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Chromebook Pro leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
pdp_feature_06_1280-1024x512.jpg

pdp_feature_08_02_1280.jpg

pdp_feature_03_00_1920-1024x896.png

pdp_feature_03_01_1280.jpg

pdp_feature_kv_1920-1024x320.jpg

https://chromeunboxed.com/kevin-is-the-samsung-chromebook-pro-up-for-pre-order/

The new Chromebook comes with a variety of impressive features: a 12.3 inch 2400x1600 resolution touch screen that can rotate 360 degrees, minimal bezels, 32GB of storage, 4GB of RAM, a stylus, an all-metal 12.9 mm-thick body and 10 hours of battery time. The hardware seems to be designed with Android app support in mind.

The device is currently listed for pre-order on Adorama with a $499 price tag. There’s no official release date listed, but ChromeUnboxed reported that the since-deleted B&H product page listed October 24th for availability.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/15/13293294/preorder-samsung-chromebook-pro-tech

This sounds like the perfect machine for me. I love Chromebooks, I love a good stylus and I use an OP3. I really hope this comes to Germany.

[insert joke about explosive new design or something here]

I'll eventually have to get rid of my bulky gaming laptop in favor of a chrome book/netbook.

I wish that the Microsoft surfaces weren't so god damn expensive that'd be perfect. A tiny sexy laptop. I'm assuming Chrome books open the mobile version of browsers?

dc89

That looks nice. I have a HP Chromebook and it does what I need it to do. They've come on leaps and bounds since I bought that though.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
fuck this holiday season is getting expensive. chalk this up to another gadget i don't need that i want.

SMattera

Why spend $500 for a Chromebook? I thought the appeal was that they were cheaper than Windows laptops.

Better hardware at the same/lesser price point (which usually means better battery life, better performance, better mouse/keyboard, etc). Don't have to install Windows updates. Don't need anti-virus. Virtually idiot-proof. Boots almost instantaneously.

oti

Banned
32GB notebook for $499?

There's an SD card slot anyway.

Why spend $500 for a Chromebook? I thought the appeal was that they were cheaper than Windows laptops.

I do agree that it's a bit pricey for me usually but since this is a Galaxy Note Tablet and a Chromebook in one with a great resolution and 10h battery life it would replace two devices for me. I'll sell my Galaxy Note 12.1 and my Chromebook and buy this instead.

And I don't think a Windows laptop for 500€ is really that great tbh. It would be more annoying than helpful. This Chromebook also supports Android Apps so it's more flexible than just a Chromebook.

Looks nice but man, I will never use ChromeOS again. The lapyop I got was a waste of time, it sucks beyond really basic stuff. Even watching videos I had to spend ages converting them to different formats.

Blackhead

Redarse
Looks nice but man, I will never use ChromeOS again. The lapyop I got was a waste of time, it sucks beyond really basic stuff. Even watching videos I had to spend ages converting them to different formats.

Same here but the hope is that with Android apps available you'll be able to do a lot more. Certainly there are Android apps that can play every video format that my Chromebook Pixel couldn't

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Can't you install linux on a chromebook? I mean this chromebook looks really great and would be pretty awesome as a super portable linux laptop..

oti

Banned

I don't have any digital media lol. Everything is just streamed off Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. Never even thought about this problem tbh.

Hmmmmm I am tempted. I'd love a surface pro but just can't afford it.

This is a Chromebook. I don't think you can compare these two unless you're talking about the stylus. Hopefully it will be as usable as it is on the Galaxy Note 12.1 thanks to the Android integration.

Ryan_09

This looks great! I've been looking into getting a smaller Chromebook for portable working to complement my Acer 15's desktop use. Right now I'm looking at an Acer 11, but if this Samsung either comes in a smaller size (11 or lower would be ideal) or has a better quality screen than my Acer (the IPS is surprisingly high quality considering the $220 I spent) I'd be all over this. The metal chassis is a huge plus as well. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes on this.

Whoa, if that stylus even has a bit of pressure sensitivity to it, this would be a no-brainer for me. Using this + LayerPaintHD would effectively replace my Chromebook Flip and tablet.

trixx

Better hardware at the same/lesser price point (which usually means better battery life, better performance, better mouse/keyboard, etc). Don't have to install Windows updates. Don't need anti-virus. Virtually idiot-proof. Boots almost instantaneously.

this fits the description of my acer r11. Paid $400 CAD, worth ittt. I call it the essay/browser book. So fast, and virtually silent at all times

chrislowe

Can't you install linux on a chromebook? I mean this chromebook looks really great and would be pretty awesome as a super portable linux laptop..

I had ubuntu installed on mine. You can even run ubuntu and chromeos at the same time and tab between them.

But I have never found the need to convert videofiles on my chromebook.
I used vlc for playing videos, but nowdays only use videosites like netflix etc.

500 Dollars for a pro product? Things like this is what is making the moniker of "pro" more useless than it already is.
I think Apple will run away from Macbook Pro and Ipad Pro in their brand names. If botique value products are named the same, they will seek another entitled moniker to separate the higher end model from the common models.
Apple still hasn't embraced the 360 degree hinge stylus design. An Ipad Pro and a Macbook in one. With how the feature sets talk more and more between OSX and OSi I just don't understand why they don't get it over with.

My concern is that I want a workstation/gaming laptop -15 inch with the 360 hinge design. Something that runs a powerful GPU, CPU, lots of expandability but which also has a 6 hour+ battery life when not gaming/using workload.

The stylus is a great tool for artists and productivity and I'd like a 15-inch wide pad to really be able to draw and consume video content in tablet mode.
the problem is making a machine that is light and durable enough.

Might be time to embrace having 3 m2. SSD Slots over a 2,5 inch SSD so they can get more battery in there.
Ion lithium batteries are holding every mobile device back. From phones, to tablets to laptops to smartwatches. We really need a battery tech revolution with regards to batteries.

danthefan

This is a Chromebook. I don't think you can compare these two unless you're talking about the stylus. Hopefully it will be as usable as it is on the Galaxy Note 12.1 thanks to the Android integration.

I know they're totally different machines but it's the form factor I'm after really, something for the house that I can pick up and use as required, watch shows in bed, etc etc.

They really need to keep this thing affordable, just got the R11 and while I like I think it was a bit pricey for a Chromebook.

jwk94

My only concerns are if this thing has a fan (I hope not), how it handles 1080/60 YouTube playback, and how fast it is.

Huh... This looks pretty good. I've been meaning to upgrade my Chromebook since I don't know when it's getting Android support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom