• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 announced: "better in nearly every way" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've given up on Edge entirely, not just on my SP4 but on my desktop as well. Used that browser for well over a year and still never managed to feel stable and often chugged, ran the fans high, and had a bunch of UI bugs.

What amazes me is that Firefox runs better and has less bugs than Edge on the Surface. How is it still this bad?

heyf00L

Yeah I thought Edge was designed to be mobile friendly with the new Windows universal API. But background tabs eat up a ton of CPU doing apparently nothing.

Chrome on my SP4 uses too much RAM, and Firefox also uses too much CPU.

gamz

I've given up on Edge entirely, not just on my SP4 but on my desktop as well. Used that browser for well over a year and still never managed to feel stable and often chugged, ran the fans high, and had a bunch of UI bugs.

What amazes me is that Firefox runs better and has less bugs than Edge on the Surface. How is it still this bad?

Really? I dropped Chrome entirely and have used Edge for a month since the CU. I actually really love it. Stable and quick as hell.

I haven't touched Chrome since.

edit: Wait. I did use Chrome a few days ago because I didn't remember the password of a site I use. It looked old and dated.

GreyWind

Yeah I thought Edge was designed to be mobile friendly with the new Windows universal API. But background tabs eat up a ton of CPU doing apparently nothing.

Edge becomes unresponsive for me whenever I go to youtube or Tumblr, so annoying. I had a Surface 2 RT and IE Metro worked better than Edge, performance wise.

Microsoft Word and some other office apps are lagging a bit. I'll find 3-4 second pauses while I'm typing and it's driving me insane. Is there anyway I can return my 4gb model for an 8gb and pay the difference?

I would be very surprised if it were the difference between 4GB and 8GB causing stuttering. Have you run task manager to see what's going on? And is the machine new? Have you let it run untouched overnight etc.?

Yeah, I was willing to forgive the teething issues of Edge, but after the Creators update and their advertising that this was a new and improved version of Edge, and after trying it for 5 minutes and still getting the same stupid UI bugs that have been there, (tabs detaching from the window and making new windows for no reason, disappearing tabs) I just said fuck this and went to Firefox.

Like you said, FF uses a lot of CPU but surprisingly still runs better and hasn't run my fans at all, even when streaming YouTube at 1080p60.

Really? I dropped Chrome entirely and have used Edge for a month since the CU. I actually really love it. Stable and quick as hell.

I haven't touched Chrome since.

edit: Wait. I did use Chrome a few days ago because I didn't remember the password of a site I use. It looked old and dated.

That hasn't been my experience, I've used it since Windows 10 launched.

I regularly get, across 3 devices (my old Surface Pro 2, my desktop, my new Surface Pro 4):
-Disappearing tabs
-Tabs detach and form new windows way too easily. This happens regularly when switching between tabs with my mouse, Edge is way too sensitive in thinking any kind of stray movement from me switching between the two tabs mistaking it as trying to detach the tab
-A thick gray border across the top of the page randomly appears when making new tabs. No rhyme or reason.
-I can't middle click on back/forward/refresh to go back/forward/refresh on a new tab.
-Window preview when hovering over tabs simply doesn't go away sometimes
-Completely unresponsive tabs. Sometimes I click on a tab and nothing happens, I don't switch to it at all.
-Sometimes tabs don't update their tab with the page icon and title, instead just displaying "New Tab" indefinitely

And this isn't a bug but:
-Saving your tabs in between sessions and not being able to turn off that functionality is infuriating. I never want my tabs to be saved in between sessions. If I want them saved I keep my browser open before putting the thing to sleep.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

I ran Edge for a while, after Windows10 went RTM. It was pretty damn good, my only problem was if and when it crashed it loses all my tabs.

Firefox, I have to kill the process for several times a day, i have usually 15+ tabs open and it just starts chugging. But at least it remembers the tabs i had open.

I occasionally use Edge now, and it seems to be much faster. But i havent thrown more than 10 tabs at it in a while.

dLMN8R

Yeah, I was willing to forgive the teething issues of Edge, but after the Creators update and their advertising that this was a new and improved version of Edge, and after trying it for 5 minutes and still getting the same stupid UI bugs that have been there, (tabs detaching from the window and making new windows for no reason, disappearing tabs) I just said fuck this and went to Firefox.

Like you said, FF uses a lot of CPU but surprisingly still runs better and hasn't run my fans at all, even when streaming YouTube at 1080p60.

That hasn't been my experience, I've used it since Windows 10 launched.

I regularly get, across 3 devices (my old Surface Pro 2, my desktop, my new Surface Pro 4):
-Disappearing tabs
-Tabs detach and form new windows way too easily. This happens regularly when switching between tabs with my mouse, Edge is way too sensitive in thinking any kind of stray movement from me switching between the two tabs mistaking it as trying to detach the tab
-A thick gray border across the top of the page randomly appears when making new tabs. No rhyme or reason.
-I can't middle click on back/forward/refresh to go back/forward/refresh on a new tab.
-Window preview when hovering over tabs simply doesn't go away sometimes
-Completely unresponsive tabs. Sometimes I click on a tab and nothing happens, I don't switch to it at all.
-Sometimes tabs don't update their tab with the page icon and title, instead just displaying "New Tab" indefinitely

And this isn't a bug but:
-Saving your tabs in between sessions and not being able to turn off that functionality is infuriating. I never want my tabs to be saved in between sessions. If I want them saved I keep my browser open before putting the thing to sleep.
I had many of these issues while using preview builds of the creators update, but in the last couple of weeks since it officially launched Edge has been rock-solid for me.

dock

I switched to Opera a while ago and I've been really impressed with how great the performance is on my 4GB SP4. I run Opera alongside Blender, Unity and Clip Studio Paint without any problems with it eating CPU and RAM.

Windows Creator Update seems to be running okay on my SP4 so far.

I have the option of a SP4 or Surface Book for my work laptop.

The portability of the SP4 really appeals to me - but I'm worried about the trackpad and keyboard. How good are they under regular daily use?

Blablurn

I have the option of a SP4 or Surface Book for my work laptop.

The portability of the SP4 really appeals to me - but I'm worried about the trackpad and keyboard. How good are they under regular daily use?

I'm using the SP3 since almost 3 years. Every day, at work and at home. And it never annoyed me once. And I heard the keyboard of the SP4 is even better than the one from the 3. Don't worry about this at all.

The trackpad is good, but not as good as the one from the MacBooks obviously. But I'm also using a bluetooth mouse with my SP3.

dock

A few times my keys become 'soft' because there's some fluff or similar trapped under them, which can be a pain to remove. I'm always worried about breaking the keys when I remove them.

Otherwise the keyboard is amazing.

Day one: My wife absolutely loves hers. She is slightly concerned about the screen though. Anyone out there using a tempered glass protector? If so, has it impacted the stylus use?

My dad for some reason got be a samsung galaxy tab s3. Its pretty sweet, but probably woulda just wanted a laptop. Does anybody know if the keyboard attachment is good? Wanna send it back, and get something like the Surface Pro, but might stick with this. Wanted an ultra thin type thing, to type and do art work on.

Micael

Day one: My wife absolutely loves hers. She is slightly concerned about the screen though. Anyone out there using a tempered glass protector? If so, has it impacted the stylus use?

Outside of the feeling of the pen it should not be an issue, since the pen is a completely different system from the touch, to the point you can have the touch not working (broken) while the pen still works.

JCX

My Surface keyboard broke - half of the keyboard connected is still plugged into the bottom of the surface, while the connectors on the keyboard are exposed. It still kind of works, but I'll likely need a new one.

antyk

Has there been any rumours of a Surface Pro 5 coming out?

It is being rumoured that it might be announced (& maybe released?) on #MicrosoftEDU on 2nd of May. Read more about it + expected changes to the specs here: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...ce-pro-5-release-date-news-and-rumors-1316294

BTW, anyone here is using Surface Pro 4 for music production? I'm not interested in how it fares with touch interfaces, etc., but in general as a portable DAW host for Ableton Live or Studio One.

antyk

My dad for some reason got be a samsung galaxy tab s3. Its pretty sweet, but probably woulda just wanted a laptop. Does anybody know if the keyboard attachment is good? Wanna send it back, and get something like the Surface Pro, but might stick with this. Wanted an ultra thin type thing, to type and do art work on.

Well-specced Surface Pro 4 can be 3x as expensive, so for taking notes and drawing it might be a bit overkill unless you'd go for cheaper (e.g. i5, 4Gb RAM, 128GB SDD) option. If you don't need to run full-on Win10 apps, then maybe iPad Pro 9.7 is the way to go?

LoneWolf-92

Neo Member
Im really hoping that if a Surface Pro 5 comes out and has a way better Stylus than the Pro 4 that its backwards compatible because thats the only upgrade i would miss on my Pro 4. I dont care about the 7-10 % performance boost of the Kaby-Lake CPUs at all, nor do I care about it being thinner, higher resolution etc. but a significantly better drawing experience on the Pro 5 would make me want one...

dock

Any news about the new Wacom pen that was supposed to be released with SP4 compatibility?

Im really hoping that if a Surface Pro 5 comes out and has way better Stylus than the Pro 4 that its backwards compatible because thats the only upgrade i would miss on my Pro 4. I dont care about the 7-10 % performance boost of the Kaby-Lake CPUs at all, nor do I care about it being thinner, higher resolution etc. but a significantly better drawing experience on the Pro 5 would make me want one...
Wacom have spent a year saying they'll make a SP4 compatible pen, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

I often think I'm the only artist that has been happy with their SP4 experience :) It's the only thing I've used to draw pictures in the last 20 months or so.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It is being rumoured that it might be announced (& maybe released?) on #MicrosoftEDU on 2nd of May. Read more about it + expected changes to the specs here: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...ce-pro-5-release-date-news-and-rumors-1316294

BTW, anyone here is using Surface Pro 4 for music production? I'm not interested in how it fares with touch interfaces, etc., but in general as a portable DAW host for Ableton Live or Studio One.

I haven't done any heavy production on it but I've used Cubase 9 with it and it works fine, as well as any high end laptop.

This guy has a whole bunch of videos with the Surface Pro and various music software.

Microsofts event is in 5 days, any good leaks or rumors?

UdRIkpm.gif

lol

i need a new PC, i need more ram than the surface pro offers. I want a new surface book/microsoft laptop, literally shut up and take my money. Otherwise dell gets it.

It's an education centered event, don't think they're going to have what you're looking for.

captive

It's an education centered event, don't think they're going to have what you're looking for.
I understand that. But in the announcement thread i said , in my opinion its not a microsoft hardware event without surface. Also education centric doesnt mean that much, surfacr is very popular in the education sector.

Word is that there won't be new Pro or Book models. Hopefully their Chromebook competitor will be decent.

With this weeks earnings report, not everyone is enthusiastic about the state of the Surface business. Less than 500k devices sold last quarter.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...urn-its-surface-business-into-the-next-nokia/
Not surprising given the rumours of new hardware for months now.

gamz

Microsofts event is in 5 days, any good leaks or rumors?

I don't think Panos is even doing it? I think Joe is doing it and it'll focus on the Ed market. So cheap Surface running cloud.

If they release a cheap surface with a pen....I imagine it will be HUGE for students.

gamz

I still remember how they tried to sell the smallest Surface 3 with the keyboard cover and no pen for 749€ here. Completely insane pricing.

It's a premium product and they price it accordingly to not piss off their OEM's. The Surface was created as a showcase to it's OEM's. Before the Surface most windows laptop were fucking boring and cheap as hell. Now everyone has a really nice premium laptop line.

ty_hot

I hope they can surprise me with a Surface that is in the 400-500 price range. Intel 7y processor, 4gb ram (8 would be optimal). Attachable keyboard under 100.

I don't think it will happen.

For 450 I can get the Chromebook Plus that is beautiful, well built, great screen, pen, keyboard and has android apps on top. They cant do like apple and charge more for the same (or worst) hardware, unless they have an awesome solution for windows cloud (otherwise they need extra storage).

I honestly dont expect anything great, but wouldn't be completely surprised at the same time.

I hope they can surprise me with a Surface that is in the 400-500 price range. Intel 7y processor, 4gb ram (8 would be optimal). Attachable keyboard under 100.

I don't think it will happen.

For 450 I can get the Chromebook Plus that is beautiful, well built, great screen, pen, keyboard and has android apps on top. They cant do like apple and charge more for the same (or worst) hardware, unless they have an awesome solution for windows cloud (otherwise they need extra storage).

I honestly dont expect anything great, but wouldn't be completely surprised at the same time.

That price range is not where MS lives in. That's for the 3rd party ODMs. Surface line is a halo product line with halo product prices.

But ODMs are already providing $600~700 Surface Pro clones with Core U/Y and 8GB of RAM with keyboard these days. Miix 510 and 700 can be had with 8GB of RAM for less than $700 easily. Miix 510's KB is almost as good as SP4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
After using a Surface for a bit, the iPad OS needs a solid retooling.

After using a Surface for a bit, the iPad OS needs a solid retooling.

If I was Apple, I wouldn't fuck too much with iOS simplicity. It has most of its fans due to its simplicity.

I would however, either start retooling OSX to deal with touch and pen, OR, just make the iPad Pros with Thunderbolt 3 connectors so you can use them as Cintiqs with OSX devices. The latter would be easier and also ensure AND sales of Macs and iPad Pros, instead of OR purchases.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I was Apple, I wouldn't fuck too much with iOS simplicity. It has most of its fans due to its simplicity.

I would however, either start retooling OSX to deal with touch and pen, OR, just make the iPad Pros with Thunderbolt 3 connectors so you can use them as Cintiqs with OSX devices. The latter would be easier and also ensure AND sales of Macs and iPad Pros, instead of OR purchases.

I agree with you regarding simplicity. iPad Pro needs a serious retooling. I'm not sure why anyone would get the Pro over the normal iPad. I get that it's "better" but the software doesn't show it. Here's hoping iOS 11 is a big leap forward, considering iOS 10 wasn't a big shift on iPads.

I agree with you regarding simplicity. iPad Pro needs a serious retooling. I'm not sure why anyone would get the Pro over the normal iPad. I get that it's "better" but the software doesn't show it. Here's hoping iOS 11 is a big leap forward, considering iOS 10 wasn't a big shift on iPads.

Let's be real. "Pro" there is just Apple talk for active pen and higher price due to more expensive parts. They have no real intention of making it really professional anything. It requires too much change to the base functionality of the OS. For instance, I don't know if they can skip a real functioning cursor with mouse support on productivity apps.

What you are asking for is easier to accomplish by adding touch and pen functionality to OSX IMO. Adding all those things to iOS would be throwing out the baby with the bath water. Most of their revenue and profit is from iOS, and that's because most ppl like it simple as F.

CDX

Doesn't the app "Astropad" basically already do this for the iPad Pro and Macs? Turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq for Macs? And they advertised the "Astropad Studio" version as getting rid of the wireless lag or something.

I don't have a Mac so I've never used it.

But I'm assuming it would probably work a lot nicer if Apple built in that sort of functionality right into both iOS and MacOS natively, instead of having to use 3rd party apps.

Doesn't the app "Astropad" basically already do this for the iPad Pro and Macs? Turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq for Macs? And they advertised the "Astropad Studio" version as getting rid of the wireless lag or something.

I don't have a Mac so I've never used it.

But I'm assuming it would probably work a lot nicer if Apple built in that sort of functionality right into both iOS and MacOS natively, instead of having to use 3rd party apps.

If you are into 1024x1024 Mac window displayed on iPad Pro screen with enough lag and dithering to make you feel slightly drunk, then yeah you already get this functionality with Astropad. Don't you think it would be much better to get native resolution second screen with full 32bit color and 60Hz refresh rate? Me too.

dock

The Enter key on my £110 Surface Pro 4 keyboard has been spongy and unresponsive for a while. It now doesn't work almost at all. 18 months of light usage does not seem like reasonable lifespan for a £110 keyboard. I'll contact support and see what they say.

edit:
Microsoft say my keyboard is out of warranty so I would have to pay them £110 for this to be replaced. They won't repair keyboards, or offer any discount for a defective keyboard.

captive

The Enter key on my £110 Surface Pro 4 keyboard has been spongy and unresponsive for a while. It now doesn't work almost at all. 18 months of light usage does not seem like reasonable lifespan for a £110 keyboard. I'll contact support and see what they say.

have you popped it off and cleaned it? its possible there may just be dirt or something in there.

ty_hot

That price range is not where MS lives in. That's for the 3rd party ODMs. Surface line is a halo product line with halo product prices.

But ODMs are already providing $600~700 Surface Pro clones with Core U/Y and 8GB of RAM with keyboard these days. Miix 510 and 700 can be had with 8GB of RAM for less than $700 easily. Miix 510's KB is almost as good as SP4.

They are supposed to realease soemthing to compete with the Chromebooks, that's why I said those prices. There are Chromebooks for 199, the best ones cost 500. MS can do a 500 Surface Cloud to compete with those, and let OEMs do the cheaper, not premium ones.

CGIopcj.jpg

Shit just got real. Who is making the event thread?

Look beautiful, but the reason I want a surface is due to the 2-in-1 design and being able to draw on it. I get this is a budget laptop, but I hope they are not throwing in the towel.

Convertibles is the way forward. They just need to get price and performance into the sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom