• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CES 2017] Samsung and google hits it out of the park with the Chromebook Plus/Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrikan

I wish I could get my OLED Tablet to run ChromeOS. :/

but yeah these Chromebooks can easily run multiple windows, which is the main reason I want them for. Being able to stream multiple stuff from the internet while browsing.

I did a test run on some older Chromebooks at BestBuy awhile back, and they worked fine.

Still curious about other new Chromebook announcements.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I've been eager to get my hands on one of these since the rumors started to fly last year, but that eMMC storage has me worried. It's been an Achilles heel on the Android tablets I've tried so far. I wonder what that means for the performance of Android apps on this thing.

Mindwipe

I don't understand the appeal. How is this better than Windows 2 in 1? And why exactly will this sell like hot cake? lol

It doesn't run Windows and has access to Android apps, so it actually has good tablet software such as temporary downloads from Netflix and Amazon Prime, and downloads on Comixology.

It doesn't run Windows and has access to Android apps, so it actually has good tablet software such as temporary downloads from Netflix and Amazon Prime, and downloads on Comixology.

Exactly. I love my chromebook, but am ready for android apps so I can ditch my windows laptop and go 100% chrome.

oti

Banned
this is what I don't get. 100% chrome and android apps sounds like a nightmare. why would you want that?

Why? The combination sounds perfect for everything that isn't picture or video editing. You get great tablet apps and a light-weight and fast OS for the most important thing, browsing.

this is what I don't get. 100% chrome and android apps sounds like a nightmare. why would you want that?

Instant on, 20 second updates, no windows bloat. My $200 chromebook is lightning fast and has good battery life.

Why would someone want to deal with Windows 10 bullshit anymore?

Maxim726X

And have crap QA/QC with battery, display, cooling issues.

I owned one, and it was shit. Battery life was garbage, and the screen wasn't great either.

Granted, it didn't break the bank... But unless you had it attached to a power source at all times, it's relatively useless.

On topic- I really, really want one of these. Maybe it's time to sell my Flip and use the funds for this. Anyone have reports on battery life?

I've been eager to get my hands on one of these since the rumors started to fly last year, but that eMMC storage has me worried. It's been an Achilles heel on the Android tablets I've tried so far. I wonder what that means for the performance of Android apps on this thing.
Im gonna guess eMMC for ARM snd SATA M.2 for Core M3. Will try to get confirmation first thing today at the show.

LilZippa

ty_hot

Yet another "ohh it cant run Windows, shit device" thread.

Device seems fenomenal. Would buy if USD price -> EUR price is the same.

Looks good. I might give up my old 2012 MBA for this. Honestly can't even remember the last time I opened anything other than Chrome on my Mac.

I know a few people mentioned that Android apps on Chrome OS was awful... can you guys elaborate?

Etzer

This actually looks pretty nice. I'm still not sold on Chrome OS, though. I've used Remix OS and Phoenix OS. What does Chrome do better than those?

Just found out from Korean engineer on the project that the storage is soldered on board eMMC 5.0 (250/90 MB per second seq read/write) on both Plus and the Pro. In fact, the only difference is the SOC and support chips on the mobo. The ARM version is going to have a lot more thermal headroom than the Core M version, that's for sure.

Just found out from Korean engineer on the project that the storage is soldered on board eMMC 5.0 (250/90 MB per second seq read/write) on both Plus and the Pro. In fact, the only difference is the SOC and support chips on the mobo. The ARM version is going to have a lot more thermal headroom than the Core M version, that's for sure.

lol. Samsung being one of the pushers of UFS, and not using UFS on this is really cheap and stupid.

The one thing that sucks about Chrome OS, is if you're browsing and something causes the browser to crash, which does happen frequently enough, your whole system locks up because well that's the OS. It's really annoying.

Friendly reminder that the Android app compatibility has so far been crap on Chrome OS, and I would be hesitating to drop $400+ if web browsing isn't your priority here.

And now I'm no longer interested. I find a Chromebook to be too limiting, plus with the reason above, it would be nice if the browser didn't crash the whole system like on every other OS. Chrome OS and Android apps had me interested because that could expand on the limitations of Chrome OS, but if the compatibility is shit, well that selling point goes out the window.

The one thing that sucks about Chrome OS, is if you're browsing and something causes the browser to crash, which does happen frequently enough, your whole system locks up because well that's the OS. It's really annoying.

I use my chromebook for hours a day and literally never had that happen.

I use my chromebook for hours a day and literally never had that happen.

It'll happen probably once a night or at least once every other night. Something will cause it to lock up like an ad on GAF and then I have to wait for it to fully crash and it ask me if I want to restore from where I left off. That aspect is fine, but the fact that I have to wait for it to recover before I can interact sucks. I've never used Chrome on any platform that didn't crash at some point for one reason or another while browsing the web.

on linux I can install a c compiler and write code that runs on my machine without any hassle. is it possible to do that on chrome os?
as for apps I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to ever run android apps on anything but a phone and even then it's mostly an annoying experience. it's literally the bottom-of-the-barrel of software engineering.

I guess windows would be fine too.

I will never understand posts like this. Yes, you are correct, a Chromebook is not a C compiling development machine. It will also not run VMs. Thankfully, there are a billion computers in the world that will run Linux and you can probably build one for way cheaper than this. That said you could probably install a flavor of Linux onto this and get decent support... There are plenty of "Install Ubuntu on Chromebook" tutorials around. Somebody asks "But Why..." because you could install Linux on virtually anything and there's nothing stopping you from doing that.

A Chromebook is not going for your C compiler developer market. They're not targeting you with this computer. They're targeting somebody who will mostly be writing papers, browsing the internet, doing email, some light spreadsheets, and primarily running web apps or lightweight mobile apps. If you want real budget, you can get one for $250 or so and it'll be very capable at doing all of that, or you can double the price up to $500 and get this and be more capable of doing those things.

ChromeOS is an amazing operating system targeting a budget-friendly browser-first audience, which is why it has become so popular. It's simple to use, simple to understand, safe for people, and has features that most people want in most circumstances. But, no, a Chromebook and ChromeOS is not for doing serious development. It's not for running Logic Pro or Photoshop. It's not for installing VMs. It's (probably?) not for node development. It's not a professional grade computer.

SRG01

There are some third-party RDP extensions, but you are better off using Chrome Remote Desktop if you have the permissions to set it up on the server. It is free and multi-platform.

They can actually

Hmm. I should probably test it out at home before investing in one of these machines.

How's the WiDi screen mirroring in Chromebooks? Is it still through Chromecast or can it interface nicely to WiDi/Miracast modules?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
hmm, so if basically everything else is the same, what's likely to be the greatest merit derived from buying the Pro model for the better CPU?

nampad

So would the Arm version or the x86 version be better for Android apps? I guess the former?

I have to say, these chromebooks do look quite sexy. I don't need one but I always wanted to try a chromebook.

Koyuga

Tempting for the S-Pen alone but I don't think I'm ready for the browser dependent future that is ChromeOS.

thenexus6

Really like the look of this Chromebook. Still using my C720 which is powering along quite nicely.. somehow.

Doubt this will ever come to the UK though, hardly any Chromebooks do.

Red

Weird that these don't have Google Assistant.
I imagine it could be added through a software update. These are the first Chromebooks with access to the play store. Android and ChromeOS are just starting to integrate.

I wonder how much I could get for a 2GB C720 now. $50? $80? I would love the Pro. Wonder if it will break $550.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom