• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[CES 2017] Samsung and google hits it out of the park with the Chromebook Plus/Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
on linux I can install a c compiler and write code that runs on my machine without any hassle. is it possible to do that on chrome os?
as for apps I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to ever run android apps on anything but a phone.

I guess windows would be fine too.

you are so gangsta

norm9

I'm tempted. I have an older 15 or 17 inch laptop with a full keyboard that needs a fan cooler under it to keep from overheating. Something smaller would hit the spot for me. Can this play games though?

Caelus

Price sounds reasonable with that nice screen resolution, wish these came in black, would make a nice gift.

Friendly reminder that the Android app compatibility has so far been crap on Chrome OS, and I would be hesitating to drop $400+ if web browsing isn't your priority here.

lenovox1

Chuwi tablets already dual boot Windows10 & Android for under $200

I have a Chuwi tablet. I like it, but it is not pro grade.

The pen is shit. There isn't enough storage space or memory for Windows. Driver and software support is also completely non-existent. And everything is sold separately, so the prices for all their tablets come closer to $350 once you get a keyboard and pen.

A good option for a second, highly portable PC, but the Chromebook should outclass it in some ways.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't understand the appeal. How is this better than Windows 2 in 1? And why exactly will this sell like hot cake? lol

tokkun

on linux I can install a c compiler and write code that runs on my machine without any hassle. is it possible to do that on chrome os?
as for apps I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to ever run android apps on anything but a phone and even then it's mostly an annoying experience. it's literally the bottom-of-the-barrel of software engineering.

I guess windows would be fine too.

A lot of previous Chromebooks have allowed installing Linux. To be honest, though, I think you are going at it all wrong. These things are designed to be remote terminals. Use a cloud-based IDE or use SSH / CRD to connect to a workstation / server. Installing Linux locally is the caveman approach.

as for apps I can't imagine a scenario where I'd want to ever run android apps on anything but a phone

Wait until you get more Internet of Things stuff. It is such a pain in the ass to use my Chromecast Audios with Windows, but they are seamless with Android. My Hue and Lifx lights both have way better support on their mobile apps than the desktop. Ditto for my smart scale.

Desktop OS is an afterthought for a lot of new products.

btrboyev

I don't understand the appeal. How is this better than Windows 2 in 1? And why exactly will this sell like hot cake? lol

If you have never used a chromebook, then you wouldn't understand. But ease of use and no maintenance needed is something Chrome OS will destroy windows on.

Windows does not make a strong mobile OS. It's too vulernable to malware and windows updates are a huge pain in the ass.

Mailbox

Man, if I didn't have a cube i7stylus I'd get one of these in a heartbeat. If my cube craps the bucket I might get one or it's successor (or maybe the cube mix plus' successor)

Skinpop

Wait until you get more Internet of Things stuff. It is such a pain in the ass to use my Chromecast Audios with Windows, but they are seamless with Android. My Hue and Lifx lights both have way better support on their mobile apps than the desktop. Ditto for my smart scale.

thanks for real answers. looks like this isn't for me. as for IoT it's not something I want in my presence unless I can run it fully locally.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Man, the stylus will be GREAT for taking notes in my engineering classes and it's not too expensive. I usually install Linux on my PCs but this is the better solution for my current needs. Buy buy buy.

SRG01

I would love this for teaching, but much of my students' work is on Windows-specific applications :( Can Chromebooks handle RDP well?

tokkun

A lot of people just use their laptops as internet terminals, and Chromebooks are better for that than Windows (or OSX). It is simpler, faster, more secure, and requires less maintenance.

If you want to play Steam games or run Photoshop, then you are better off with a Windows laptop. But I have a desktop for that stuff.

I would love this for teaching, but much of my students' work is on Windows-specific applications :( Can Chromebooks handle RDP well?

There are some third-party RDP extensions, but you are better off using Chrome Remote Desktop if you have the permissions to set it up on the server. It is free and multi-platform.

Looks great, especially dat 3:2 screen.

Does Chrome OS have a local folder structure for saving/editing/transferring files and can you window android apps to allow for some simple multitasking?

Yet another great piece of hardware that is brought down by ChromeOS. WTF I am going to use the pen for in ChromeOS? Like 3 apps in the Samsung bloatware and nothing else.
Also good luck getting a lot of these android apps to run on this .
It's like that Chromebook that had an i7 on it. What's the point?
oozm79d.jpg

That thing with 4 extra gigs of RAM and Windows would absolutely slay.

3N16MA

Banned
32GB of storage = I continue to wonder who this is for.

For people who just browse, youtube, netflix, google docs, light photo editing, play the odd game from the play store, perhaps some spotify.

There are plenty of people who don't do much more than that on their computer. Many students don't do much more than that.

This is NOT better than a Windows 2 in 1. I would not sell my Miix 700 to get this for instance. But it is great for those who Windows are too complicated or gets them in too much trouble. And for them, this is perfect.

That thing with 4 extra gigs of RAM and Windows would absolutely slay.

There is always great 2 in 1 like Miix 700 with 8GB of RAM and 128/256GB SSD still selling for less than $600 new. Get that instead if you need/want Windows action.

I want one but will wait for the eventual student fall pricing.
My Samsung Chromebook 2 is my most heavily used machine.
If I needed any windows stuff I just VDI to my campus instance.

What's the specs on the M3. I recall not being really impressed with these mobile processors. Enlighten me techGAF.

Core M3 is basically a ULV Core i5 that can clock down to reasonable/usable speed (~1GHz) while throttling down thermally to 4.5W. Normal ULV Core i5 does 15W. This means Core M3 can last a hell of a lot longer on batteries if the tasks are not demanding.

But it is still a Core i5 U at the core, so if the task demands it, it will clock and throttle all the way up to 15W like a normal Core i5, until it hits the thermal threshold of the enclosure and cooling rig. Most devices running Core M are fanless, so it won't maintain full clock/15W as long as Core i5U will active fan cooling. But in that short burst mode, it is as fast/powerful.

Vyer

Don't see any real reason that Android apps on a bigger screen is much of a selling point

I'd be buying for the Chromebook, in which case there are cheaper and still good options.

Alchemy

I would have picked one up if this released a year ago but I already grabbed an iPad Pro :< This also happened when I got my MacBook and then after the Surface Book was announced a few months after. Ugh.

sarcastor

Can I edit photos on that glorious high res screen ?

Can I paint a 4000x6000 pixel drawing ?

Can I remove the Samsung bloatware?

3N16MA

Banned
Here in Canada the sub $500 market is not getting you any lightweight Windows laptop with decent specs and a nice screen. You're stuck with stuff like the HP Stream or Dell Inspiron 11 which use hardware no better than a $300 Chromebook but trying to do it with Windows (horrible). Or you get stuck with a 15 inch 5+ pound beast with a horrible screen and shoddy build.

Chromebooks fill the need for something decent for users who do light tasks and nothing more. You can get the Asus Flip or Acer R11/R13 which have convertible IPS touch screens and are either partially or completely aluminum. I'm guessing the Samsung Pro model will run at least $650 Canadian and at that price you start getting into the Acer Switch territory which could be had for $750 Canadian (12" QHD Touch Screen, i5-6200U, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD).

trixx

Friendly reminder that the Android app compatibility has so far been crap on Chrome OS, and I would be hesitating to drop $400+ if web browsing isn't your priority here.

I have an acer r11 and I agree. Never use android apps. Chrome os is good just for bare basic computing.

Chromebook should be the go to essay typewriter for university kids. Virtually silent and extremely fast. Only can reccommend an expensive windows laptop namely dell, thinkpads, surface or a macbook.

If cheap, chromebooks are way to go imo, but I'm talking like ideal price is 200-300 us.

^Yep purchased my r11 for 350 Canadian. It does what I need, well. Basic browsing, videos, lots of tabs, documenting. Extremely fast and extremely quiet. Sometime os lags and crashes if too much is happening though. 32 gigabytes is perfect for this and it has the drive of course.

It maybe 10 seconds to boot, just log and do your thing. Also some of the most lightest laptops available at the price rance

bloatware on chrome os? The bad part is the lack of applications I don't know what photo editor has good compatibility and would suit your needs.

I'm sure there are decent photo editing apps on Playstore.

Probably not. On Galaxy Tab A with S pen with 3GB of RAM, you can get to about 3000x2000 canvas IIRC.

This is Chromebook so I don't know how much Samsung apps will come with it. But also this is Google/Sammy venture so good chance it will be minimum.

I'll buy one as long as they don't suddenly catch on fire.

It doesn't run Android. It runs Chrome OS. With android apps. If you're gonna bother with Linux becuase Android and Chrome OS apps are not good enough, you might as well go all the way and install Windows.

I mostly like using chrome os on my chomebook but there are some stuff that is just not possible to do without a full linux os/chroot.

I'll buy one as long as they don't suddenly catch on fire.

Speaking of which, they were suppose to announce the official reason for the fires soon. Did I miss it? It's gotta be a doozy of an explanation lol. I'm betting on EMR board somehow making the battery go bad via electro magnetic waves. DUN DUN DUUUUUN~

I mostly like using chrome os on my chomebook but there are some stuff that is just not possible to do without a full linux os/chroot.

Another gangsta. Respekt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom