• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Chromebook Pro leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
a Chromebook with an S Pen ... wow

You can use Android Apps on some Chromebooks now. I'm pretty sure Samsung will install some of its note taking apps and it seems to feature the same OS Stylus integration the Note 12.1 does. You can take screenhots and take notes immediately for instance.

I think any "pro" Chromebook should have 8GB of ram at this point.

Looks nice but man, I will never use ChromeOS again. The lapyop I got was a waste of time, it sucks beyond really basic stuff. Even watching videos I had to spend ages converting them to different formats.

I got a Chromebook recently because I'm currently living in two different places and don't always have access to my desktop, but I think it makes a great compliment to a desktop, if that's all you need it for. It's far more useful than the Nexus tablet I used to own.

Though I mainly use it for basic browsing when away from my desktop and looking up info while playing games like Bloodborne.

DizzyCrow

Damn Google can make a killing with these, simple,cheap and with access to the Play Store. They can have the cheap notebook market for themselves

I'll eventually have to get rid of my bulky gaming laptop in favor of a chrome book/netbook.

I wish that the Microsoft surfaces weren't so god damn expensive that'd be perfect. A tiny sexy laptop. I'm assuming Chrome books open the mobile version of browsers?

Really loving my SP4, aside from some software weirdness. Glad I splurged the $1500.

TVexperto

Is it possible to install Windows on chromebooks? Never had one but Im thinking about getting this one cause it looks pretty good !

CHC

Looks beautiful. Have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 and I couldn't be happier, love the OS. The price for this seems reasonable considering how high end some of the specs are.

Hope it doesn't explode or massively malfunction though. My trust for Samsung is kind of at an all time low, though I'm sure I'm not the only who feels that way.

Do all Adobe CC Apps work on Chrome OS now? I see it has Lightroom (LR) in it's dock.

It's the Android version of Lightroom. I haven't used it but the Android version of Photoshop is a joke.

And there are other superior raw converters on PC/Mac anyway.

Better hardware at the same/lesser price point (which usually means better battery life, better performance, better mouse/keyboard, etc). Don't have to install Windows updates. Don't need anti-virus. Virtually idiot-proof. Boots almost instantaneously.

This. Windows is awful, Chrome OS does everything I need, and I would like to have a nicer machine than what the $200 Chromebooks provide.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Serious question, what are these for instead of a full fledged laptop? Or a much more capable laptop in the same price range?

They do(at least on the R11 and pixel), but you have to switch to developer mode to install apps not on the play store and a lot of apps have some functionality problems (word doesn't work properly for instance).

It's available on the standard normal firmware of Asus Flip.

Red

What pen-supported software does a Chromebook have?
I imagine the stylus is meant to be used in Android apps. Maybe Samsung will provide its own suite of pen-enabled apps, like with the Note.

This looks like a very nice machine. My C720 still does well, but if I were to upgrade, I'd almost certainly get this.

just built a desktop for gaming/other uses so i was thinking about picking up a chromebook to replace my dying laptop since i really only use it for browsing the internet anyway. this one looks really nice, but idk if i want to spend another $500 rn lol

Somnid

This looks nice but the software just isn't there for it. Chromebooks are in an awkward place in terms of apps, and as cool as stylus support is, nobody makes web apps that support them, same with Android.

Chromebooks are one of those things that I can recommend to other people, but I can never find one that is for me. Most of them don't allow for ram upgrades. That would be most important to me with how Chrome is such a hog. The really cheap one's specs are too low for me. I want an Intel Processor and at least 4GB's of RAM. The only Chromebook's that would interest me are too damn expensive for the limited functionality such as the Chromebook Pixel.

oti

Banned
This looks nice but the software just isn't there for it. Chromebooks are in an awkward place in terms of apps, and as cool as stylus support is, nobody makes web apps that support them, same with Android.

... Samsung has (had?🔥) a whole line centered around the stylus. The Note 12.1 has stylus functionality baked into the OS. This seems to be the case here as well.

Timeless

If I got this, I'd install Ubuntu on it to get actual work done. Chromebooks are nice for passive browsing and basic papers and note-taking. The hardware looks really sleek, especially for the price.

Somnid

... Samsung has (had?🔥) a whole line centered around the stylus. The Note 12.1 has stylus functionality baked into the OS. This seems to be the case here as well.

As far as I know the core Chrome OS UI can't be customized. I makes sense that they would load their S-pen suite of apps on this thing but that's really about all you're gonna be able to do with it outside of normal touch events.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Looks nice. I had the original Samsung Chromebook and loved it for what it was. Right now I'm using a little Levono touch screen laptop in place of the old chromebook but it's getting a little slow.

Zackat

I might be interested in this. Is there anywhere I can see what you can and cannot do on the chrome OS?

Would be good for reading comics as well.

oti

Banned
As far as I know the core Chrome OS UI can't be customized. I makes sense that they would load their S-pen suite of apps on this thing but that's really about all you're gonna be able to do with it outside of normal touch events.

In the link I posted in OP there's a very short video. It shows the very same functionality tablets and phones have. You remove the stylus -> a window with quick actions pops up. Like take a screenshot and annotate etc.

https://chromeunboxed.com/kevin-is-the-samsung-chromebook-pro-up-for-pre-order/

Dynomutt

I'm surprised by the explosive reactions to what might be a dynamite product. If sales detonate right out the gate then this thread may erupt.

Somnid

In the link I posted in OP there's a very short video. It shows the very same functionality tablets and phones have. You remove the stylus -> a window with quick actions pops up. Like take a screenshot and annotate etc.

https://chromeunboxed.com/kevin-is-the-samsung-chromebook-pro-up-for-pre-order/

Right but that's not anything like, say Windows 10 having native first-class stylus support. It's just launching a menu on an event. It's slight worse than Apple Pencil and Apple Pencil Support is terrible.

ty_hot

I love/hate how in every chromebook thread there are numerous people complaining about it - for things that it is just not supposed to do well. 2 minutes in google and you will know it is made for web browsing and lately some Android app support. But there are always many complaining about 'only 16/32gb...' 'I need to convert videos to watch on it...' and so on.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Looks great. I love my ASUS Chromebook 11' flip.

If this gets good reviews I may upgrade

Biggest threat to Windows dominance right here.

What's funny is OEMs hate making these products with incredibly small margins, but Microsoft pushed them to it by getting into their bread and butter business; hardware.

The next 5 years is gonna be super interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom