• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the ACLU often argues from principles and law. I also think corporations having human rights is stupid.

It's not really about that.

It could be a single-owner business attempting to get the same license. The issue is "Can you deny a business a license based on your own views of morality, rather than anything illegal they've done?"

It's a tough situation. IMO, the ACLU is probably right, under the law, and those laws exist for a reason.

However.. there are many precedents where businesses are denied licenses.

I've seen numerous stories about strip clubs being denied a license, loosely based on "morality" grounds.

It's not really about that.

It could be a single-owner business attempting to get the same license. The issue is "Can you deny a business a license based on your own views of morality, rather than anything illegal they've done?"

It's a tough situation. IMO, the ACLU is probably right, under the law, and those laws exist for a reason.

However.. there are many precedents where businesses are denied licenses.

I've seen numerous stories about strip clubs being denied a license, loosely based on "morality" grounds.

Yeah, and I generally like to be on their side as well, hence the apprehension about the mayor's response. I like it for it's gumption though. also that jm dude is now my favorite "victim" on gaf.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yeah, and I generally like to be on their side as well, hence the apprehension about the mayor's response. I like it for it's gumption though. also that jm dude is now my favorite "victim" on gaf.
Is there a reason you're being so antagonistic and finding his posts in other threads and continuing to bring the guy up? He made a stupid comment and apologized for it; it's time to drop it.

mrbagdt

Is there a reason you're being so antagonistic and finding his posts in other threads and continuing to bring the guy up? He made a stupid comment and apologized for it; it's time to drop it.

that guy is the only person on neogaf who is on my ignore list

If people want to continue eating there that's their business; it does not make them bigots, or bad people. However I would argue those that actively support CFA just to show support for the owner's opinion is different, and worthy of derision. I've never been to a CFA, in fact I'm not sure there are any in my area of Michigan. I would have no problem eating there, regardless of my personal view that their corporate position is bigoted. I don't believe in punishing individual franchises for the views of corporate management. Actively rooting for businesses to close, and people to lose their jobs, isn't constructive.

And if we're going to get really technical, my (and your) tax dollars and dollars spent at other places have financed other forms of nonsense as well.

Wilsongt

If people want to continue eating there that's their business; it does not make them bigots, or bad people. However I would argue those that actively support CFA just to show support for the owner's opinion is different, and worthy of derision. I've never been to a CFA, in fact I'm not sure there are any in my area of Michigan. I would have no problem eating there, regardless of my personal view that their corporate position is bigoted. I don't believe in punishing individual franchises for the views of corporate management. Actively rooting for businesses to close, and people to lose their jobs, isn't constructive.

And if we're going to get really technical, my (and your) tax dollars and dollars spent at other places have financed other forms of nonsense as well.

More likely than not, individual franchises are probably not going to be hurt one bit by this boycott. Especially not when the right is energizing their base to get out and support Chick-Fil-A.

I'm not saying people should lose their jobs because they choose to work at Chick-Fil-A. However, sending the message that there are people out there who do not agree with where customer's money is going is important.

More likely than not, individual franchises are probably not going to be hurt one bit by this boycott. Especially not when the right is energizing their base to get out and support Chick-Fil-A.

I'm not saying people should lose their jobs because they choose to work at Chick-Fil-A. However, sending the message that there are people out there who do not agree with where customer's money is going is important.

It depends on where the franchise is located. A CFA in the south will probably do well regardless, for instance. But in more liberal areas of the country, businesses could be hurt.

remnant

Banned
You live in Moreno Valley? Rock on. I live all the way over in Beaumont, so it's quite easy for me to not go. I was always curious about them, hearing how good they were (from here on GAF actually), but now definitely not even going to try them, not when I can spend my money elsewhere.

lol holy shit. I thought Day St would be such a vague street name no one would guess. Yeah my family lives in Moreno Valley.

Wilsongt

It depends on where the franchise is located. A CFA in the south will probably do well regardless, for instance. But in more liberal areas of the country, businesses could be hurt.

It's a possibility. Looking at the bigger picture, though, I highly doubt this is going to do anything to change Chick-Fil-A's values or beliefs. They will probably just stay quieter about their beliefs from now on, and will probably be just a bit more careful on where their money flows.

However, I will continue to stand by my boycott. Whether it is effective or not.

I don't believe in punishing individual franchises for the views of corporate management. .

I don't believe in giving money to the organizations that CFA gives money too.

It's about the knowledge that part of my money that I'd be giving to CFA would go to said organizations.

It's the same reason I sometimes buy certain products.. "Proceeds go to so and so org".. "Hey cool, I think I'll choose to buy this."

CFA essentially advertised that "Part of the proceeds from CFA purchases go to so and so org".. and my reaction is.. "Oh, OK, I will choose NOT to buy this."

It's really just that simple, it's not a "punishment" so much as it's "I'm not giving money to these organizations, sorry CFA."

You are literally the first person ever in this 66-page topic to have made that point.

I'm sure I'm not - and I'm sure your opinion has been repeating multiple times over the course of this 66 page thread as well. I'm not here to play games or trade sarcastic comments, I'm simply giving my opinion. Which ultimately is what this issue is about - choice and opinion. If people want to eat there, they can while also supporting gay rights. And if people don't want to eat there, they can do so as well. I'm not willing to punish one company due to their owner's stupidity while ignoring others in the very same boat.

Downhome

Zaxby's always used to give me the shits. And they were a ripoff of Guthries. But still good.

I love Zaxby's, but over the years I've had more and more stomach problems. One day I got Zaxby's as normally did, and it made me sick as a dog, for days. I wrote it off as a coincidence and went back a week or so later, and it happened again. I think I tried once more and then I gave up, and went at least a few years without it at all. That was a big deal, I loved their chicken fingers and Zax sauce.

Fast forward a bit to when I got married this past October. My wife loves Zaxby's, and I decided to try it again. This time I didn't get the sauce, thinking that was the problem. Nope, it happened yet again. I decided to try ONCE MORE, this time eliminating the only other thing I thought could be the problem - the seasoning on the fries.

I discovered that the seasoning is so high in MSG, it was setting off an awful allergic reaction in me. My body can not tolerate such levels of MSG, and it turned out that the seasoning they use for their fries is the worst for me out of just about anything.

Since I eliminated the seasoning on the fries, I ask for them without any of it at all, I haven't felt sick a single time, so I am once again able to enjoy one of my favorite fast food joints. It seems to be that way for lots of others as well, as Zaxby's makes batches of fries both with the seasoning, and also without for people like me.

So if any of you have problems eating at Zaxby's, try it without any of that seasoning on their fries next time.

On a side note, I did cook that Chick Fil A sandwich using that recipe in the video from earlier in the thread last night and even bought a bag of waffle fries to go with it. It turned out fantastic, just delicious, and my wife wouldn't stop raving about it. So give that a shot guys, have it be because of a boycott or maybe you just want a CFA-like taste on a Sunday or some other time you just don't want to drive off to the store. I highly recommend it, and next time I'm going to try nuggets or strips.

I'm sure I'm not - and I'm sure your opinion has been repeating multiple times over the course of this 66 page thread as well. I'm not here to play games or trade sarcastic comments, I'm simply giving my opinion. Which ultimately is what this issue is about - choice and opinion. If people want to eat there, they can while also supporting gay rights. And if people don't want to eat there, they can do so as well. I'm not willing to punish one company due to their owner's stupidity while ignoring others in the very same boat.

The thing is that this was one of the first points of debate that was brought up since very early in the topic, has been shot down, has been brought up by other people waltzing in not reading the topic, has been shot down once again, and the cycle has repeated about 10 times already. It adds nothing to the discussion because that particular point has been debated to death and back.

That said, I'm not playing armchair mod and telling you you're not allowed to post it. I'm just saying it's extremely old and won't exactly strengthen your point.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
lol holy shit. I thought Day St would be such a vague street name no one would guess. Yeah my family lives in Moreno Valley.
I was gonna quote you but he did it before me. I've only been to that Chick-fil-A a couple times but Buffalo Wild Wings next to Sport Chalet is the spot. Ono's Hawaiian BBQ too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
So in that Chick-Fil-A copycat video she mentions marinating the chicken in pickle juice. In the follow up Q&A video she says you can't really taste the pickle juice, though. Is this true? I don't really like the taste of pickles. If it's just a bit I can handle it.

Think I'm gonna try it soon.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So in that Chick-Fil-A copycat video she mentions marinating the chicken in pickle juice. In the follow up Q&A video she says you can't really taste the pickle juice, though. Is this true? I don't really like the taste of pickles. If it's just a bit I can handle it.

Think I'm gonna try it soon.
I certainly wouldn't have been able to tell you pickle juice was used in the recipe. I think you'll be alright.

I wanted to some Chic-Fil A so bad today but I went with my heart and got 5 Guys instead.

Someone should put some of replacement recipes in the OP. I would love to know what seasoning they use in their breading and how to make Polynesian sauce.

So my mom was telling me about an email she got today that said August 1st is National "Support Chick-Fil-A day". I think the purpose is to help Chick-Fil-A make up for lost sales from the boycott.

CDX

Someone should put some of replacement recipes in the OP. I would love to know what seasoning they use in their breading and how to make Polynesian sauce.

Code:
[B]Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce Recipe[/B]

Serves: 1 cup
Start-to-Finish: 25 minutes
Recipe By: Todd Wilbur

Ingredients:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 TBSP Grey Poupon Dijon mustard (you can substitute any Dijon mustard but to get the closest to Chick-fil-A sauce it apparently needs to be the Grey Poupon kind, I used one with horseradish sauce in it because I liked the zippiness and it is what I had in my fridge. Let's face it, if I have to go out to buy new mustard I might as well stop by Chick-fil-A and get some packets of sauce instead.)
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
2 1/2 TBSP white vinegar
1/2 tsp concentrated hickory liquid smoke flavoring (I substituted with 1 tsp of plain ole BBQ sauce because, seriously, who has liquid smoke flavoring just laying around?)
1/4 tsp lemon juice
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water
1 TBSP cornstarch 

Directions:

1. Combine oil, honey, mustard, ketchup, sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small saucepan over low heat until boiling.
2. Stir until it becomes jelly-like and well incorporate.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
4. While the sauce is cooling, whisk egg yolk with water in a small bowl for about 2 minutes or until color is pale yellow.
5. Then, whisk in cornstarch until dissolved.
6. Once sauce has cooled, add vinegar, smoke flavoring (or BBQ sauce), and lemon juice.
7. Drizzle in the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream while rapidly whisking. (This will create a thick, creamy emulsion that will prevent the oil from separating.)
8. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

[B]Alternate Honey Roasted BBQ Sauce Recipe[/B]

Hey... I just figured out a MUCH easier way to make it. I didn't take exact measurements but the ingredients are:

Marzetti brand Honey Dijon Dressing (The brand is very important for this, and I found it in the produce section by the bagged salads)
    Ketchup
    Liquid Hickory Smoke Flavoring

The ratio is ABOUT 10:2:1, or maybe less ketchup and smoke flavor, but just add a little of each till it tastes right, as that is what I did instead of measuring. It tastes and looks exactly the same and there's no raw egg in it. Keep it refrigerated because of the dressing though.
Code:
[B]Polynesian sauce recipe[/B]

1/2 cup Pineapple juice
1/4 cup Honey
3 tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. Ground ginger
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. garlic Powder

How to Prepare Sweet and sour polynesian sauce
1. Combine all ingredients and use to brush over ribs, chicken or pork during the last 15 minutes of cooking (makes one cup sauce).

[B]Alternate Polynesian sauce[/B]
The owner/manager of a local Chick-Fil-A told me the polynesian sauce [U]is actually Marzetti Honey French dressing.[/U]  Hope this helps!

Compare:

Polynesian Sauce
Nutritional information 

Ingredients: High fructose corn syrup, soybean oil, corn-cider vinegar, distilled vinegar (grain source varies), tomato paste, salt, paprika, modified food starch (from corn), spices, honey, beet juice concentrate, natural flavors, xanthan gum, onion*, garlic*, propylene glycol alginate.
*dehydrated

Marzetti Honey French Dressing

High Fructose Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Corn-Cider Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Paprika, Spices (Including Mustard Seed), Honey, Beet Juice Concentrate, Onion*, Natural Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Garlic*. *Dehydrated.

Code:
[B]Chick-fil-A Sauce[/B]

Serves: 1 cup
Start-to-Finish: 5 minutes
Recipe By: [url]www.food.com[/url]

Ingredients:

1 cup Ken's honey mustard dressing (no brand substitutions or lite versions here, it makes a difference)
2 tsp smoky barbecue sauce

Directions:

1. Combine ingredients.
2. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Some Google searching found these. ^

Never been to Chic-Fil-A so I can't tell you if those are close enough matches or not.

My friend told me about Polynesian Sauce and Marzetti brand Honey French Dressing thing years ago, at the time she swore it was the same thing. I've never tried it myself though.

Wilsongt

Had some Chick-Fil-A before I left Texas the other day. It felt good damn it.

Da5xn.gif

Sanjuro

Yeah, yeah, I know. I wasn't making a political statement by doing so, I was just hungry. It's one of the only fast food options that doesn't make me feel terrible after a night of drinking.

We only have a couple of them in MA, so don't get chances to go very often.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that the "damn it" at the end was because he was cursing his weakness in supporting the greater good by giving into fried chicken.

Right guys? o_O

Sanjuro

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that the "damn it" at the end was because he was cursing his weakness in supporting the greater good by giving into fried chicken.

Right guys? o_O

That's how I intended it to be interpreted. I got the chargrilled sandwich though.

teiresias

Yeah, yeah, I know. I wasn't making a political statement by doing so, I was just hungry. It's one of the only fast food options that doesn't make me feel terrible after a night of drinking.

We only have a couple of them in MA, so don't get chances to go very often.

And obviously this is the absolutely most appropriate thread in which to post such a thing? Can you be anymore transparent in trying to save yourself?

Sanjuro

And obviously this is the absolutely most appropriate thread in which to post such a thing? Can you be anymore transparent in trying to save yourself?

Actually, it is the most appropriate thread. If I was looking to start a fight, I would be bringing up some sort of silly oil argument again.

Sanjuro

There was an argument about oil...? What?

I can't recall the specific companies involved, but it was the argument "would you stop using gas?". Which is foolish because then you delude it to the next step featuring all the companies that use that gas to operate daily.

Problem is that you can't really compare that to chicken sandwiches.

The thing is that this was one of the first points of debate that was brought up since very early in the topic, has been shot down, has been brought up by other people waltzing in not reading the topic, has been shot down once again, and the cycle has repeated about 10 times already. It adds nothing to the discussion because that particular point has been debated to death and back.

That said, I'm not playing armchair mod and telling you you're not allowed to post it. I'm just saying it's extremely old and won't exactly strengthen your point.

I haven't seen a single argument in this thread that "shot down" the basic argument that tax dollars and dollars sent to the private sector "finance" a host of things most people don't agree with. CFA isn't the only business with an owner who has questionable views. I'm not a fan of Papa John's conservative views, but I still order pizza there.

If someone eats at CFA it does not make them a bigot or a supporter of bigotry. Franchise owners should not be held responsible for the views of corporate management/ownership

Sanjuro

I haven't seen a single argument in this thread that "shot down" the basic argument that tax dollars and dollars sent to the private sector "finance" a host of things most people don't agree with. CFA isn't the only business with an owner who has questionable views. I'm not a fan of Papa John's conservative views, but I still order pizza there.

Better ingredients is never a "questionable" view....except I can't find them in the pizza. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom