• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sruckus

Anyone see The Daily Show last night? Both disappointed and extremely pissed at Jon for basically implying that those who are boycotting Chik-Fil-A are dumb and should be boycotting Apple, etc. for their "labor issues". Yes, totally comparable. Screw trying to improve anything.

Anyone see The Daily Show last night? Both disappointed and extremely pissed at Jon for basically implying that those who are boycotting Chik-Fil-A are dumb and should be boycotting Apple, etc. for their "labor issues". Yes, totally comparable. Screw trying to improve anything.

I think it's what people try to improve or ignore that becomes the issue. This is am important issue but it's in thier own country and it won't cause them any inconvenience to boycott a fastfood place.

I think how American companies outsource to explotive jobs with bad conditions is important too, but boycotting cool technology is never something people will rally around.

Loudninja

Yeah that really annoyed me.

Very disappointing.

Gaborn

I think it's what people try to improve or ignore that becomes the issue. This is am important issue but it's in thier own country and it won't cause them any inconvenience to boycott a fastfood place.

I think how American companies outsource to explotive jobs with bad conditions is important too, but boycotting cool technology is never something people will rally around.

By what standards? People in the US tend to have a really screwed up view and don't understand why sweatshop labor is so extremely beneficial to the countries you're saying are "exploiting" people. For that matter this. I know it "sounds" right to oppose them, but the actual effect is very positive for the people who work there.

Mr. Krugman blames American self-righteousness, or guilt over Indonesian women and children sewing sneakers at 60 cents an hour. ''A policy of good jobs in principle, but no jobs in practice, might assuage our consciences,'' he said, ''but it is no favor to its alleged beneficiaries.''

KtSlime

By what standards? People in the US tend to have a really screwed up view and don't understand why sweatshop labor is so extremely beneficial to the countries you're saying are "exploiting" people. For that matter this. I know it "sounds" right to oppose them, but the actual effect is very positive for the people who work there.

Yeah, I'd be worried if their wages weren't steadily increasing, and if they were hoarding what little money they had rather than put it back in the world economy, but this isn't this case at all. China will develop over time, and at some point companies will have to move to another place to get cheap labor, which too in time will develop.

Frankly, I thought the segment was just poorly done and lazy, but it was a Monday episode. Mondays are always like that.

Gaborn

Apparently they have a replacement for the Muppets by the way:

Our publisher, HarperCollins, is marketing several of their Berenstain Bears titles through a kids’ meal program at Chick-fil-A scheduled for August. This program was in development for over a year. We were unaware of any controversy involving Chick-fil-A until July 25th.

The Berenstain family does not at this time have control over whether this program proceeds or not. We hope those concerned about this issue will direct their comments toward HarperCollins and Chick-fil-A.

Sincerely, The Berenstain Bears

I saw it here

ivedoneyourmom - agreed

Gaborn

lol what a lame statement. Pick a side, wusses.

It sounds like they had a pre-existing agreement. They also sound a LOT like they would do anything to get out of it and avoid the controversy, lol. I don't honestly blame them, they're fairly harmless as companies go, but they're going to be drawn into this whether they like it or not it sounds like.

Jon Stewart has a segment criticizing the political/religious views of Chic-Fil-A and their owners, and users here commend it.

Jon Stewart has a segment pointing out the shortsightedness, somewhat hypocritical logic some of the protesters have been demonstrating, and all of a sudden it's a lazy, disappointing segment. Are some of you that transparent?

I understand the reasoning behind it.

But I feel for all of the Chick-fil-A employees who have done nothing wrong who are going to get harassed beyond belief tomorrow.

Jon Stewart has a segment criticizing the political/religious views of Chic-Fil-A and their owners, and users here commend it.

Jon Stewart has a segment pointing out the shortsightedness, somewhat hypocritical logic some of the protesters have been demonstrating, and all of a sudden it's a lazy, disappointing segment. Are some of you that transparent?
What do these two things have to do with each other? They aren't mutually exclusive viewpoints.

KtSlime

I hope my stance on gay marriage is transparent, kind of what I am aiming for.

Korey

Because Jon Stewart is right 100% of the time, right?

Just because you agree with Jon Stewart on one thing doesn't mean you have to agree with him on everything.

Kind of like how just because you boycott one thing doesn't mean you have to boycott everything.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

We don't blindly follow Jon Stewart's thinking? Is that a bad thing?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wait, what is happening at this place tomorrow? I thought it was odd cause someone i know asked me if i wanted an order from them tomorrow.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Mike Huckabee sponsored Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day! Woohoo!
Apparently these people i know are organizing something for lunch, i heard them mention its for a good cause. I do live in the south though, ignorant bigots abound. I assume this is a anti-gay message?

This is argument is so fucking tired its more transparent of the users who keep using it. It's extremely easy to boycott a fucking fast food chain giving money to despicable people. If you want to boycott people for bad labor practices you pretty much have to abandon technology and clothing along with it. Does that entitle us to do nothing? No, we should definitely be aware of the situation in other countries (although the people working making iPhones are much better off than mant people in the rest of China), but to compare them is pure idiocy. You can't blanket apply logic to every singe issue. Fuck this is annoying having to do this so many times.

We don't blindly follow Jon Stewart's thinking? Is that a bad thing?

Not at all, but there is a very loud and vocal majority of people on here with atheist beliefs that are so angry/annoyed with religion that any argument presented that has the slightest sense of defending that side is met with ignorance.

Not at all, but there is a very loud and vocal majority of people on here with atheist beliefs that are so angry/annoyed with religion that any argument presented that has the slightest sense of defending that side is met with ignorance.
Stewart hasn't been attacked for having an argument. He's being attacked because it's a shitty one. It's the classic straw man / do it all or do nothing at all.

Dem Atheists!!! And please respond to my post.

KtSlime

Wait, what is happening at this place tomorrow? I thought it was odd cause someone i know asked me if i wanted an order from them tomorrow.

I believe tomorrow is National Support Chic-Fil-A's Freedom of (hate) Speech Day. You are encouraged to spend money at their franchises, so that they can continue funding organizations like The Marriage and Family Foundation, who's goal is to educate people on why gays can't marry nor should they raise children, and when education fails legislate.

Shamrock7r: What are atheist beliefs?

MVP: He is allowed to have any beliefs he wants, but you should know that if you give money to his company that a portion of it will go to organizations spreading lies and legislating against the rights of homosexuals.

MVP

Banned
I haven't read this whole thread, but isn't Chik-Fil-A a hardcore Christian business, even closed on Sundays? Why is this a surprise to anyone, and why do they not have a right to their religious beliefs? I don't believe in God or religion but I don't get why there's a big uproar over this. I respect the man for sticking to his guns and giving his opinions, he didn't say gay people were banned from Chik-Fil-A.

qcf x2

that's how it works around these here parts, boy.

I haven't read this whole thread, but isn't Chik-Fil-A a hardcore Christian business, even closed on Sundays? Why is this a surprise to anyone, and why do they not have a right to their religious beliefs? I don't believe in God or religion but I don't get why there's a big uproar over this. I respect the man for sticking to his guns and giving his opinions, he didn't say gay people were banned from Chik-Fil-A.

Why should I give a fuck that he is sticking to his digusting beliefs. The whole entitled to an opinion argument goes both ways. They are entitled to keep donating money to disgusting companies and we are entitled to not eat there and think its horrible. Also before this I knew they were a Christian company. I have no problem with that and being closed on Sunday's is actually somewhat admirable if he believes that strongly. Donating money to these groups is something I found out now.

There's having an opinion and then there's donating millions in hopes to control the freedoms of others.

Korey

Maybe you should read the first post in the thread then - or, even better, the article linked

Fantastical

Death Prophet

You guys, stop having an opinion about Chick-Fil-A. Let them have their opinions.
And give money to anti-gay groups!

MVP

Banned
Why should I give a fuck that he is sticking to his digusting beliefs. The whole entitled to an opinion argument goes both ways. They are entitled to keep donating money to disgusting companies and we are entitled to not eat there and think its horrible.

There's having an opinion and then there's donating millions in hopes to control the freedoms of others.

And again I say, bitch and moan all you want, but we live in a country that's based on freedoms, religious freedom being one of them. You're free to eat there or not eat there, and they are free to have their opinions. I'm on your side of the whole gay marriage argument, and I don't even eat there to begin with, but I'd still hate to live in a country where people can't have religious beliefs.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
And again I say, bitch and moan all you want, but we live in a country that's based on freedoms, religious freedom being one of them. You're free to eat there or not eat there, and they are free to have their opinions. I'm on your side or the whole gay marriage argument, but I'd still hate to live in a country where people can't have religious beliefs.

Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? No one is saying anyone can't have religious beliefs or freedom of speech. Please stop.

And again I say, bitch and moan all you want, but we live in a country that's based on freedoms, religious freedom being one of them. You're free to eat there or not eat there, and they are free to have their opinions. I'm on your side of the whole gay marriage argument, and I don't even eat there to begin with, but I'd still hate to live in a country where people can't have religious beliefs.
Who is saying no one is allowed to be religious?

Have you taken time to consider what you want to say? Right now, what's coming out is "they can say whatever they want, and you guys can't."

Whoever said they couldn't? You are the one who came in here to try and make some stupid conflation between boycotting CFA and boycotting every other company. You sound like Sarah Palin and O'reily looking for the infamous WAR ON CHRISTIANS.

MVP

Banned
Seriously, what the fuck are you talking about? No one is saying anyone can't have religious beliefs or freedom of speech. Please stop.

Who is saying no one is allowed to be religious?

Have you taken time to consider what you want to say? Right now, what's coming out is "they can say whatever they want, and you guys can't."

Then I don't get what the controversy is about. That they donate to an organization that supports their belief?

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Has the man been sent to jail, executed, or even punished at all for his beliefs? No.

Then I don't get what the controversy is about. That they donate to an organization that supports their belief?

And the donations go to groups who want to stop me from marrying. So yeah, I'm gonna make a little noise. And I'm completely allowed to do that. And you are allowed to tell me I'm wrong for doing that. And I'm allowed to look bewildered at my monitor at your argument.

Korey

State your point, please.

1st post: "I don't get the uproar."
2nd post: "You're free to eat there or not eat there"

Thank you?

KtSlime

Who said anything about taking his freedoms away? Where's the disconnect? This thread is about informing people about where the money goes after they buy that chicken. No one is trying to limit Chic-Fil-A's speech, even if it is vile.

Simple question: If they were donating money to the KKK, would we still be having this discussion?

This is argument is so fucking tired its more transparent of the users who keep using it. It's extremely easy to boycott a fucking fast food chain giving money to despicable people. If you want to boycott people for bad labor practices you pretty much have to abandon technology and clothing along with it. Does that entitle us to do nothing? No, we should definitely be aware of the situation in other countries (although the people working making iPhones are much better off than mant people in the rest of China), but to compare them is pure idiocy. You can't blanket apply logic to every singe issue. Fuck this is annoying having to do this so many times.

I have no problem with you picking and choosing who you want to boycott based on how convenient it is for you to do so. Seriously. I don't think it is stupid to compare the two at all. Really though I am speaking more about the overall negative and dismissive attitude on here when it comes to any religious debate. I think that it is a little hypocritical that people on here can be so damn rude, hateful and negative towards people who follow Christianity, yet really they are fighting to correct very similar biased viewpoints from the other side.

The fact is Chic-Fil-A can keep pouring money into these anti-gay companies and it's not going to change a thing. The wheels are already in motion and gay marriage will be legalized everywhere in the US within the next decade. I think it's great that people are taking a stand, and not eating at Chic-Fil-A to make a statement. I think it's annoying that it continues to garner this much attention from people on here who have a blind hatred towards anything religious related.

Kusagari

That we don't want to support a company that donates to organizations like that?

Is this so hard to understand? They have a right to their opinions, and people have a right to want nothing to do with them because of it.

MVP

Banned
Has the man been sent to jail, executed, or even punished at all for his beliefs? No.

Oh ok, so you guys don't really believe he did anything wrong, and you simply want to complain and voice your equally valid and opposing opinions. That's fine. There's no controversy here, then. You guys disagree with someone. Cool.

Is this the first debate you have ever seen? I'm totally lost on what you want to say.

I think it's annoying that it continues to garner this much attention from people on here who have a blind hatred towards anything religious related.
You are making the biggest assumptions possible here.

Well what do you expect? People on this board try and make arguments based on logic and all Christians do is use a 2000 year old book filled with contradictions. Is it a surprise that people can be rude? Also, I've seen a lot of good discussions happen between religious and non religious people when both sides are open minded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom