• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

belvedere

Junior Butler
What I buy at an individual franchise/business supports that individual franchise/business' first, from payroll to whatever else. This isn't about "supporting" bigotry, which is a ridiculous charge that labels people bigots who aren't.

Do the franchises you speak of financially sponsor organizations that are tied to hate groups?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
West side

IIRC, there's one on 103rd, there's one on Normandy, there's a bunch in Orange Park. OPMall has one in the food court as well last time I was in the area. Only issue is the traffic getting to one.

Andrew54

Neo Member
Don't know how many people see this everyday but this is the first time I have seen it in the area I live in, panhandle of FL. Sickening.

Hahaha I'd bet a hundred bucks that the cow dude is trolling. I know that the fight for gay marriage is no where near as bad as the fight for racial equality decades back, but the way southerners are reacting to their plea for equality is eerily similar. Half the people on my friends list on facebook are like "Thank God for Chick Fil A :))) Gay marriage is a sin" when I know that they fucked like half the dudes at my old high school lol. The hypocrisy really bothers me.

Starting to think the anti-Chick Fil A thing is actually having a reverse effect. My aunt went there today and there were 250-ish people in line. I'm pretty sure it's because on Facebook people keep saying "Chick Fil A is fucking delicious but I'm not going anymore!" so people are like "Delicious... you say?" and want to nom on their chicken.

JeTmAn81

Your position on this puts you in a category of second classing citizens. You make them unequal by doing this.

As an aside, do you feel that single/unmarried people are also being treated as second-class citizens, since they cannot receive the tax breaks and other benefits given to married people?

mernst23

If it was ironic, it'd say "HATE MOR GAYZ"

Well, considering the Phelps clan is despised by pretty much everyone. Unless that is someone they bussed down from the compound; the visual imagery is supposed make patrons think that chik-fil-a associates with WBC views; casting them in a negative light.

It's sorta clever but the problem is it's not being clear.

That's just my opinion, I have no idea.

It's a simplification that, while logically true, is practically disingenuous.

There are some unsavory people who are eating at CFA for no reason but to spite a suppressed demographic, though

I agree with this, and I wouldn't eat there today simply due to this ridiculous support protest of Huckabee's.

IIRC, there's one on 103rd, there's one on Normandy, there's a bunch in Orange Park. OPMall has one in the food court as well last time I was in the area. Only issue is the traffic getting to one.

If I go out again I'll look to see how theyre doing.

I fully expect them to be packed.

Cyan

Banned
Starting to think the anti-Chick Fil A thing is actually having a reverse effect. My aunt went there today and there were 250-ish people in line. I'm pretty sure it's because on Facebook people keep saying "Chick Fil A is fucking delicious but I'm not going anymore!" so people are like "Delicious... you say?" and want to nom on their chicken.

I'm pretty sure it's because people are doing a "Chik Fil a Appreciation Day" today.

I don't understand why the government doesn't just recognize all forms of "marriage" as civil unions and leave the "marriage" title to the religious side of things. Seems to me that this would solve some of the issues that people seem to have with it.

Let the government see all forms as "unions" and the various churches/temples/etc. can call it what they'd like and/or choose to acknowledge or not acknowledge the marriage based on their beliefs.

Also, the sea of people out buying CFA today in order to spite the gay population is sickening.

All through Pennsyvania and the part of Jersey I live in Chik-Fil-A's are packed.

I keep some right-wing nuts on my friends list, for shits and giggles, they are going estatic over today. All week theyve been posting shit about supporting Chik-Fil-A..

Disgusting people in this country..

As an aside, do you feel that single/unmarried people are also being treated as second-class citizens, since they cannot receive the tax breaks and other benefits given to married people?

I'm not sure if I follow what you're getting at. What benefits and tax breaks do you think married people take advantage of that would even be applicable to one person who has nobody/isn't looking for someone to enter into a partnership with?

I don't understand why the government doesn't just recognize all forms of "marriage" as civil unions and leave the "marriage" title to the religious side of things. Seems to me that this would solve some of the issues that people seem to have with it.

Let the government see all forms as "unions" and the various churches/temples/etc. can call it what they'd like and/or choose to acknowledge or not acknowledge the marriage based on their beliefs.

Also, the sea of people out buying CFA today in order to spite the gay population is sickening.

Because marriage is what we practice as a society and changing it to suit a bunch of bigots is absurd.

marrec

Banned
All through Pennsyvania and the part of Jersey I live in Chik-Fil-A's are packed.

I keep some right-wing nuts on my friends list, for shits and giggles, they are going estatic over today. All week theyve been posting shit about supporting Chik-Fil-A..

Disgusting people in this country..

Man, if this was Popeye's the right wing would have a serious conflict of interest over this.

CDX

What I buy at an individual franchise/business supports that individual franchise/business' first, from payroll to whatever else. This isn't about "supporting" bigotry, which is a ridiculous charge that labels people bigots who aren't.
You keep bringing up the franchise argument, and trying to keep them separate from corporate
wikipedia said:
Chick-fil-A uses a model significantly different from other restaurant franchises, notably in retaining ownership of each restaurant. Chick-fil-A selects the restaurant location, builds it, and pays the rent, while retaining ownership. Where as franchisees from competing chains need about $2 million to operate a franchise, Chick-fil-A franchisees need only a $5,000 initial investment to become an operator. The company gets 10,000-25,000 applications from potential franchise operators for 60-70 slots they open each year. Chick-fil-A gets a larger share of revenue from its franchises than other chains, but the formula works well for operators — franchisees make an average of $190,000 per year.

Anecdotally, I've also heard that corporate HEAVILY screens franchise owner applicants to ensure ONLY the "right" type of Christian is a franchise owner

You keep bringing up the franchise argument, and trying to keep them separate from corporate

Anecdotally, I've also heard that corporate HEAVILY screens franchise owner applicants to ensure ONLY the "right" type of Christian is a franchise owner

This does not address the point I continue to make: an individual franchise didn't make anti-gay comments, and their employees shouldn't be punished for the stupidity of Cathy. When you buy McDonalds, stuff at Game Stop, wherever, you are buying from a franchise.

I'm not suggesting their money doesn't go to the corporation - that would be a ridiculous argument ignorant of basic business.

Cyan

Banned
This does not address the point I continue to make: an individual franchise didn't make anti-gay comments, and their employees shouldn't be punished for the stupidity of Cathy. When you buy McDonalds, stuff at Game Stop, wherever, you are buying from a franchise.

I'm not suggesting their money doesn't go to the corporation - that would be a ridiculous argument ignorant of basic business.

So basically, the "don't punish Penn St" argument.

Trey

People have every right to boycott CFA. I don't see an argument that can rationalize condemning a peaceful protest.

Holy crap. Never seen a longer line for Chick Fil A. There's two huge ass lines coming from opposite directions. Guys are outside directing traffic. This is worse than fucking Disney World.

Eh, it's their stereotype, I'm just making fun of them.

I really hope I get home and some nut has posted something on Facebook about supporting Chik-Fil-A so that I can have a nice, cathartic discussion.

I did this last night and I got this..

yohSv.png

I knew it was directed at me lol :)

I do feel what they personally believe is their own business. The problem is when they funnel customer's money into causes that a customer may not support. If the CEO of CFA had rotten views but otherwise the company only concerned itself with the restaurant business, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Corporations should not meddle or give finances on social matters like this be it Chick Fil A or Amazon's Bezos. They should keep their corporate profit or funded money out of this.

I'm not surprised. I've eaten at a Chik Fil A a few times. It's weird. The service is a bit... overly enthusiastic, and the staff randomly breaks into song. It's like if a fast food restaurant was run by a church.

CDX

But who cares about comments specifically? The comments just made Chick-Fil-A's opinion clear for anyone that doubted it the years before.

It's Chick-Fil-A's unapologetic financial support of of not only just anti-gay marriage causes but outright anti-gay causes that has people upset.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Think about what you just typed.

The label is important. Creating a separate-but-equal classification for same-sex couples does not mean that these couples are equal in the eyes of society.

I understand and see your point. It is something that I internally struggle with. Heck I have come a long ways since my early years. Gays were I grew up at were hated on and I once shared this same view. My eyes have been opened and to be honest alot of my views have been shaped and aligned with NeoGAF. Been coming here 10+ years.

So basically, the "don't punish Penn St" argument.

That's a poor analogy in part due to the differences between a corrupt university and a business with an asshole for an owner.

How is it a poor analogy? Please expound on the differences here.

ruxtpin

Banned
Your position on this puts you in a category of second classing citizens. You make them unequal by doing this.

I'm still not seeing this. If you're in support of gay rights and want them to be treated just like yourself... How is that making them unequal?

ruxtpin

Banned
You're refusing to levy a title of "married."

No. heh - Okay, so I didn't use the term "marriage" in my first post.

Person A supports gay rights.
Person A is in support of and wants gay marriage to be legal and protected.
Person A is in support of and wants gays to be considered the same as everyone else.

I'm not seeing the segregation in that.

Edit: Okay moop. I misread the post you were responding too. I thought the post was in support of gay marriage. Looks like it's not.

Person A is in support of and wants gays to be considered the same as everyone else.

Separate but equal isn't equal, you're singling them out for being gay.

Cyan

Banned

The discussion was about SSGMUN's stance, which is pro-gay rights, pro-civil unions, anti-gay marriage.

ruxtpin

Banned
Separate but equal isn't equal, you're singling them out for being gay.

Not sure what you're trying to communicate. I'm saying I'm supportive of gay marriage and gay rights, yet because I'm singling them out I'm not being equal? How else am I suppose to say I'm in support of gay rights and gay marriage without using the term "gay" ?

Cyan

Banned
Not sure what you're trying to communicate. I'm saying I'm supportive of gay marriage and gay rights, yet because I'm singling them out I'm not being equal? How else am I suppose to say I'm in support of gay rights and gay marriage without using the term "gay" ?

We aren't talking about you. :p

Wallach

Not sure what you're trying to communicate. I'm saying I'm supportive of gay marriage and gay rights, yet because I'm singling them out I'm not being equal?

You support the government viewing them as equal in status. You don't support them actually being equal because you view their existence as unnatural - obviously if you do not view heterosexual marriage as unnatural, you don't view the two states as equal. There are two distinct ideas at play here.

ruxtpin

Banned
You support the government viewing them as equal in status. You don't support them actually being equal because you view their existence as unnatural - obviously if you do not view heterosexual marriage as unnatural, you don't view the two states as equal. There are two distinct ideas at play here.

Well, that seems to be the whole issue here; CFA giving money to groups that want to prevent the government giving the same rights to another group of individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom