• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFA response to anti-gay alleg. "Guilty as charged." Do NOT gloat about eating at CFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Well, that seems to be the whole issue here. CFA giving money to groups that want to prevent the government giving the same rights to another group of individuals.

She's talking specifically about the idea of supporting gay marriage in legislation but still viewing the couple as unnatural. That is the context of the discussion you just entered.

KingGondo

Banned
I understand and see your point. It is something that I internally struggle with. Heck I have come a long ways since my early years. Gays were I grew up at were hated on and I once shared this same view. My eyes have been opened and to be honest alot of my views have been shaped and aligned with NeoGAF. Been coming here 10+ years.
You just have to ask yourself one question--what negative effect would it have on society if gay people were granted full marriage rights tomorrow?

You just have to ask yourself one question--what negative effect would it have on society if gay people were granted full marriage rights tomorrow?

Lots of states would see some money flowing for weddings, parties, etc. Oh you said bad things, uh God would rain down hellfire or something.

Trey

Separate but equal in this situation seems like it's parity in the eyes of the law but not in the eyes of society. Hypothetical "civil unions" would require a license, allow joint tax filings, and be dissolved like marriages but not carry the same cultural significance that marriage would. The term "marriage" in itself contains a lot of weight; to be in a civil union would be looked at as lesser.

That being said, there's really no reason to make a distinction. As said before, marriage is an idea that supersedes religion.

How is it a poor analogy? Please expound on the differences here.

The issue I have is that with PSU you had a football program where multiple people basically covered up for a criminal (pedophile). Collectively the program was punished by the association they're a member of, for breaking rules.

Chick-Fil-A hasn't committed a crime or done anything illegal, and they are a privately owned business, not a member of a governing body that subjects them to rules or standards. Their owner supports bigoted (and political) views I and many others don't agree with. As I've said before, if people want to boycott CFA it's perfectly within their rights. But those that do eat there can view it as supporting a local business.

Lots of states would see some money flowing for weddings, parties, etc. Oh you said bad things, uh God would rain down hellfire or something.

Well, it would cheapen it for the rest of us. If we're just letting anyone into the elite "marriage" club willy nilly, my wife and I might as well get divorced tomorrow -- an unprecedented move given the current unwavering strength of traditional marriage.

My good friend just told me there's a ton of people at Chik-Fil-A (He's in Jacksonville).

What a fucking shame. How idiotic are we as a country, honestly.

That being said, there's really no reason to make a distinction. As said before, marriage is an idea that supersedes religion.

And other than religious clergy being granted the religious right to sign marriage licenses as a "witness", legally marriage has nothing to do with religion.

Nothing is stopping any "straight couple" from having a gay orgy at their wedding that takes place in a satanic ritual chamber in this country legally.. it's rather obvious that the "sanctity" argument is at the very least, being quite selective in what they believe is going to ruin the so called "sanctity" of marriage.

And other than religious clergy being granted the religious right to sign marriage licenses as a "witness", legally marriage has nothing to do with religion.

Nothing is stopping any "straight couple" from having a gay orgy at their wedding that takes place in a satanic ritual chamber in this country legally.. it's rather obvious that the "sanctity" argument is at the very least, being quite selective in what they believe is going to ruin the so called "sanctity" of marriage.

Henry VIII already shat all over the institution.

ruxtpin

Banned
She's talking specifically about the idea of supporting gay marriage in legislation but still viewing the couple as unnatural. That is the context of the discussion you just entered.

But if her view isn't harming anyone, what's the big deal? She's supporting gay marriage and rights. Agree or not with her view, if it's not harming anyone or denying a groups rights, I guess I don't see an issue. I've seen folks here on gaf make negative generalizations about folks from the deep south (of which I am one) - I often times don't agree with said comments, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over their views. IF, however those same people we're actively throwing money at denying rights to ignorant southerners, I'd have an issue with that.

Cyan

Banned
The issue I have is that with PSU you had a football program where multiple people basically covered up for a criminal (pedophile). Collectively the program was punished by the association they're a member of, for breaking rules.

Chick-Fil-A hasn't committed a crime or done anything illegal, and they are a privately owned business, not a member of a governing body that subjects them to rules or standards. Their owner supports bigoted (and political) views I and many others don't agree with. As I've said before, if people want to boycott CFA it's perfectly within their rights. But those that do eat there can view it as supporting a local business.

The "don't punish Penn St" argument was that in punishing Penn St, you hurt innocent people instead of the actual guilty parties. Students, football players, profs, local businesses. Your argument against boycotting CFA appears to be the same: don't boycott, you are hurting employees, franchise owners, etc more than the person you are aiming at.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Well, it's even strong here in Los Angeles. My wife was at the Northridge mall and said the line wrapped around the building, and cars wrapped around the building and the line of cars went out and up the street.

crazy.

But if her view isn't harming anyone, what's the big deal? She's supporting gay marriage and rights. Agree or not with her view, if it's not harming anyone or denying a groups rights, I guess I don't see an issue. I've seen folks here on gaf make negative generalizations about folks from the deep south (of which I am one) - I often times don't agree with said comments, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over their views. IF, however those same people we're actively throwing money at denying rights to ignorant southerners, I'd have an issue with that.

Supporting rights is certainly better than.. not supporting them.

But you have to think about the fact that gay people, grow up... as children.. and teenagers.

Surrounded by people telling them they are "unnatural" or "sinners" or "wrong".. even if these people say "Well you can have a civil union and get the same rights" it's a mindfuck and leads to all kinds of problems.

Like closeted meth-addicted politicians who campaign against gay rights and then at the end of the day go smoke meth and play tummy sticks with a gay prostitute.

Or people who commit suicide.

Sexuality is at least a part of people's very core identity. This isn't just people saying they disagree with some political stance.. or think some political idea is dumb or wrong.. those things don't challenge someone's identity and self worth.

The line was well over two hours long in the town right next to me. I live in NC. This guy turned controversy and a bigoted opinion into money. The American way. I knew this was going to happen.

Downhome

At lunch on my way to WalMart it was a mad house at the other CFA in town as well. So crazy that the inside was packed with lines out the door and line outside full of vehicles wrapping around the building and into the main road on both sides of it. It was so crazy that they had multiple police there to direct traffic in every direction.

At lunch on my way to WalMart it was a mad house at the other CFA in town as well. So crazy that the inside was packed with lines out the door and line outside full of vehicles wrapping around the building and into the main road on both sides of it. It was so crazy that they had multiple police there to direct traffic in every direction.

Pretty depressing in my opinion, the popularity.

ruxtpin

Banned
Surrounded by people telling them they are "unnatural" or "sinners" or "wrong".. even if these people say "Well you can have a civil union and get the same rights" it's a mindfuck and leads to all kinds of problems.

Just to be clear, I'm saying that they should be able to get married. I'd agree that saying, "you can have a civil union, but not marriage" to be real shortchange and not a real solution.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Mines similar without police. Makes me sick to my stomach and want to punch everyone going there today over an issue they feel strongly about enough to BLOCK MY FUCKING LANE ON MY COMMUTE. :|

The "don't punish Penn St" argument was that in punishing Penn St, you hurt innocent people instead of the actual guilty parties. Students, football players, profs, local businesses. Your argument against boycotting CFA appears to be the same: don't boycott, you are hurting employees, franchise owners, etc more than the person you are aiming at.

I'm not saying don't boycott - I've said multiple times people are free to do what they please. My argument is that I'm not going to withhold my individual money as a customer from a franchise over what their owner says. The problem I'm having with the analogy is that we're discussing support v punishing. If an alum donated money to the program now - would that be in support of the cover up the football program is guilty of? In some cases people are indeed giving the program money with a blatant "fuck the victims" mentality. But there are people giving money to help their alum or college rebound, and there's nothing wrong with that. And I'd also say there's nothing wrong with NOT giving PSU money. Or transferring etc.

JeTmAn81

This thread is really reinforcing for me the idea that NeoGAF as a community is really out of touch with the U.S. Our last president was George W. Bush, folks. That side of things doesn't just disappear.

Wallach

This thread is really reinforcing for me the idea that NeoGAF as a community is really out of touch with the U.S. Our last president was George W. Bush, folks. That side of things doesn't just disappear.

I don't think very many people in this thread are surprised by the success of their shitty campaign today. I'm not sure where you even get the idea, honestly, since most of this thread is talking about how pervasive and accepted bigotry towards homosexuals is in this country.

I think you misconstrue some of the reactions. I think there's more genuine lament that people would so enthusiastically do something like wait in line for hours to get a mediocre fast food sandwich in solidarity with the idea that homosexuals shouldn't have the right to get married than there is legitimate surprise that there are people who feel this way.

No kidding. When this thread was first created you had people saying that this would hurt Chick-Fil-A and all I could do is laugh.

Pocks

I think you misconstrue some of the reactions. I think there's more genuine lament that people would so enthusiastically do something like wait in line for hours to get a mediocre fast food sandwich in solidarity with the idea that homosexuals shouldn't have the right to get married than there is legitimate surprise that there are people who feel this way.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

No kidding. When this thread was first created you had people saying that this would hurt Chick-Fil-A and all I could do is laugh.

I really still think that is pretty inconclusive.

Some people will certainly stop eating there.

Others will eat there less.

You REALLY think the "supporters" are actually going to change their long-term habits and eat at Chick-Fil-A more often than they were before?

I think the Chick-fil-a appreciation day is a great idea! In fact, all the blessed souls going there to eat today should eat there 3 meals a day, 6 days a week.

Our problem would be solved in 5 years tops.

btkadams

this thread is seriously depressing right now. canada has its share of bigots, but very few are actually loud and proud about it because of our smaller population and hate speech laws.

I really still think that is pretty inconclusive.

Some people will certainly stop eating there.

Others will eat there less.

You REALLY think the "supporters" are actually going to change their long-term habits and eat at Chick-Fil-A more often than they were before?

A drop in the ocean. First of all, a lot of people will only temporarily boycott the restaurant. This is inevitable. It's kind of like when people say they're quitting smoking, but they're merely taking a break from it instead. Secondly, the owner has figured out a way to market this and he's going to see periodic spikes in sales. Now that this is a "conservative" chain of restaurants, I can certainly see certain people eating there more. Way more.

remnant

Banned
Pretty depressing in my opinion, the popularity.

It's kind of your fault. You bash the company for weeks for the "crime" of having a CEO admit something everyone knew was the truth prior, and celebrated a ridiculous boycott with great moments such as rallying behind the dumbass mayor of Boston who wanted to overreach his constitutional limits.

You made them a martyr and gave them free advertising.

Views on gay marriage are tightening though. A lot of the CFAs are in the south and other red states, it's not surprising they're being swamped today. And of course, there are tons of people who don't even know about the event and just like CFA because it's good fast food, and they're being mixed in with the folks who actually have an agenda thus inflating the numbers.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

I come from a slightly different perspective, but my exposure to Chick Fil-A was that it was in our campus cafeteria, so I ate it all the time just because it was there. Maybe I just got bored with them, but despite eating them a lot, I never thought they were anything special.

When they started expanding years back, I was legitimately surprised to see excitement for them. Mind you, I did try the new locations a couple of times, and thought the spicy sandwich was all right. But I've never really understood the sentiment that it's somehow a cut above the competition.

And I felt this way before having any idea of what views the owners had.

It's kind of your fault. You bash the company for weeks for the "crime" of having a CEO admit something everyone knew was the truth prior, and celebrated a ridiculous boycott with great moments such as rallying behind the dumbass mayor of Boston who wanted to overreach his constitutional limits.

You made them a martyr and gave them free advertising.

Not my fault, people make their own choices.

ruxtpin

Banned
A drop in the ocean. First of all, a lot of people will only temporarily boycott the restaurant. This is inevitable. It's kind of like when people say they're quitting smoking, but they're merely taking a break from it instead. Secondly, the owner has figured out a way to market this and he's going to see periodic spikes in sales. Now that this is a "conservative" chain of restaurants, I can certainly see certain people eating there more. Way more.

There are people here in GA that - literally - eat this stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner - and go so far as to order extra on Saturday since they can't get it on Sunday.

And I'm hopeful that once the media dies down, it's only the protestors who will stick to their guns.

Chick-Fil-A just simply isn't an option for a whole lot of people.

So either people who weren't eating there before or people will need to increase their habits to make up for it long term.

I'm not saying it's some major big deal for them, but either way, this one day of "support" isn't something they can sustain long term IMO.

And I'm hopeful that once the media dies down, it's only the protestors who will stick to their guns.

Chick-Fil-A just simply isn't an option for a whole lot of people.

So either people who weren't eating there before or people will need to increase their habits to make up for it long term.

I'm not saying it's some major big deal for them, but either way, this one day of "support" isn't something they can sustain long term IMO.

The difference in revenue will be negligible at most. The owner will still be filthy rich and just as bigoted when this is all over with.

cashman

Banned
I view the whole battle on gay marriage a losing cause anyways for bigots. I think if we could get a democratic majority in congress next election we could have some sort gay marriage bill in the near future.

On another note, are there any other places I can get waffle fries at?

The difference in revenue will be negligible at most. The owner will still be filthy rich and just as bigoted when this is all over with.

Either way, as an individual people can feel more comfortable knowing they aren't indirectly funding anti-gay groups.

remnant said:
It's kind of your fault.

"Blame" is a funny thing.. if the backlash over the protest makes Chick-Fil-A more money than the protest costs them.. I still think it's lame to make statements like that though.

"It's your fault how other people reacted."

It might have been expected.. but I also see a whole lot of people here for instance not standing behind the Boston mayor.

There may have been some LOL's and brief support, but upon questioning most people here sided with the ACLU's view on the issue.

In retrospect it's really the actions of these mayors that has been the biggest justification of the "support" for Chick-Fil-A.

So to some extent, their knee-jerk not well thought out action might reasonably share some "blame." But it's still a bunch of immaturity laced with bigotry IMO.

It's depressing to see business boom for Chick-Fil-A recently, I hope the "support" for Chick-Fil-A dies down soon.

remnant

Banned
"Blame" is a funny thing.. if the backlash over the protest makes Chick-Fil-A more money than the protest costs them.. I still think it's lame to make statements like that though.

"It's your fault how other people reacted."

It might have been expected.. but I also see a whole lot of people here for instance not standing behind the Boston mayor.

There may have been some LOL's and brief support, but upon questioning most people here sided with the ACLU's view on the issue.

In retrospect it's really the actions of these mayors that has been the biggest justification of the "support" for Chick-Fil-A.

So to some extent, their knee-jerk not well thought out action might reasonably share some "blame." But it's still a bunch of immaturity laced with bigotry IMO.

FIrst of all, let's be honest. The reason why so many here called bullshit is because no one could spin what they were doing into something constitutionally viable.

The mayors were the biggest story and what actually riled people up. It went from a minor gay issue with a small boycott to a first amendment issue, and CFA was on the right there. I don't think most Americans even care who CFA donates to, and they weren't given much of a reason to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom