• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Jesus christ. Is this real? This write up sounds really bad, but he still says he voted for Clinton in the end. Being there this was all probably hilarious, but ugh. Reading it is really gross.

Publisher: Jared Kushner
This makes me wary that this might be spun inaccurately.

http://observer.com/2016/11/dave-ch...ps-clinton-shes-not-right-and-we-all-know-it/

Comedian Dave Chappelle has been prepping for his November 12 hosting slot on Saturday Night Live with a series of surprise shows at The Cutting Room in New York. On Friday night, he shocked the crowd with a 60-minute set largely devoted to slamming Hillary Clinton.

He was particularly agitated about what he believes was Clinton’s role in leaking a surreptitiously recorded conversation between Republican nominee Donald J. Trump and TV personality Billy Bush. “What I heard on that tape was gross,” Chappelle said. “But the way I got to hear it was even more gross. You know that came directly from Hillary.” He stated this had put him off a candidate he had already known was “not right.” He likened voting for her to a hypothetical situation of actress Halle Berry breaking wind in his face during sexual relations. “I’m still going to go for it,” he said. “But I wish she hadn’t done that thing.”

Chappelle further shocked the New York crowd by defending Trump. He took issue with the media stating as fact that Trump had admitted committing sexual assault in the recorded conversation. “Sexual assault? It wasn’t. He said, ‘And when you’re a star, they let you do it.’ That phrase implies consent. I just don’t like the way the media twisted that whole thing. Nobody questioned it.”

The comedian stated that Trump’s resilience in the face of the leak had impressed him. Comparing Trump to The Terminator, Chappelle said, “That would have devastated anybody else.” Chappelle added that Trump’s handling of the debate immediately following the controversy had won him over. Referring to Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz’s hostile questioning, he said, “Something about this was backward. A gay white man and a white woman asking a multi-billionaire how he knows the system is rigged and insisting it’s not. Does that sound right to you? It didn’t seem right to me. And here’s how you know Trump is the most gangsta candidate ever. They asked him how he knows the system is rigged and he said, ‘Because I take advantage of it.’ He may as well have flashed his membership card for the Illuminati right then.”

Noting that he voted early in rural Yellow Springs, Ohio before heading to New York, Chappelle said he “didn’t feel good” about voting for Clinton. “She’s going to be on a coin someday. And her behavior has not been coin-worthy,” he said. “She’s not right and we all know she’s not right.”

Chappelle noted that he’d been present at a late October going-away party at the White House, sponsored by BET. “Everyone there was black – everyone except Bradley Cooper,” he said. Chappelle listed attendees including Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayer, singer Usher, DNC chairwoman Donna Brazile, and DJ D-Nice, who performed at the hush-hush soiree. He claimed that, at the end of the night, he grabbed the mic and waxed lyrical about Frederick Douglass, concluding that even though the current election has been “gross,” he still loves the United States of America.

The comedian wasn’t feeling so much love for women’s rights, gay rights, and transgender rights activists, saying, “They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself.” Chappelle still slammed North Carolina legislation stating that transgender people must use the public restroom that aligns with the sex stated on their respective birth certificates. “If you need to show your birth certificate to take a dump at a Wal-Mart in North Carolina, that’s insane.” Chappelle noted he would rather not have “a woman with a dick” stand next to him at a urinal. He also said he wasn’t happy about rumors that Caitlyn Jenner would pose nude for Sports Illustrated. “Sometimes I just want to read some stats.”

Another earlier source confirming similar jokes

Dave Chappelle made sure fans didn’t record a late-night show at the Cutting Room last week.

The enigmatic comic played the Gramercy Theater on Wednesday, then entertained a Cutting Room crowd at 1 a.m. Friday, performing a two-hour set.

Fans were not allowed to record the gig or take pics, and even had their “phones stored in soundproof cases” till the concert was over, spies said.

Chappelle did four nights at the Cutting Room, with his rep telling us: “He’s working on new material.”

New jokes included cracks about the election and Donald Trump’s infamous “Access Hollywood” tape. “He said he was staying at the Trump Soho and grabbed one of the maids by the ‘p—y’ and told her, ‘It’s OK! Your boss said it’s all right,’” a spy said.
http://pagesix.com/2016/10/30/chappelle-tries-out-new-trump-material-in-covert-performance/

Ric Flair

Banned
I don't like that he rated one oppression as more important than the others. That's fucked up Dave. If a gay man wants equality, let him fight for it wherever the fuck he feels it necessary to do so. Otherwise you're no different than those 'all lives matter' hacks.

They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself.
It's not a fucking competition.

Messi

Oh no Dave...

Q0l3InL.gif

O nooo.

You know how like, him hosting SNL was too good to be true and there was no way everything turns out perfectly?

Well there you go.

Chappelle has always done an offensive form of comedy.

I doubt he believes half the things he says, but it makes for good shock value and gets his name in the news.

TheSun

The comeback we've been all waiting for!

Deary me, I remember the thread about his transphobia, so I wasn't surprised at these statements. Shame.

I think he's basically correct that Trump's phrasing in the originally tape could, on its own, imply consent, assuming you understand the "they" he referenced to be the women being grabbed, rather than the authorities, i.e. he's such a rich, famous star that women want him implicitly - and, really, bragging about women wanting you is far more common than bragging about them NOT wanting you - but you cannot really extricate it from your knowledge of Trump's overall attitude toward women which suggested that, yeah, he probably did just grope the shit out of unsuspecting women at least a few times.

Edit: that said, the idea that you need your entertainers to recapitulate your views, even those you believe to be rooted in morality and fairness, in order to enjoy their work is just silly. Chappelle's a funny motherfucker, whether or not you feel "gross" reading like two minutes' worth of an hour bit ("gross", like "problematic", is a term that needs to be taken out back and shot, incidentally.)

Off topic but I really hate that word for some reason. Does anyone else feel like this? It's probably from being bullied in school for years because of a big-ass potter-esque scar across my forehead.

Yes. It's up there with cringe for me.

On topic:

I'm hoping it was said tongue-in-cheek and his delivery brought a laugh, cause what Trump said in indefensible. It says a lot about the people who try.

Derwind

One of those times when you are reminded celebrities are still human and can say shit that makes your head shake.

I'm disappointed.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
You either die exile yourself from comedy as a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I always give a comedian some benefit of the doubt. I can definitely see the last paragraph with his brand of humour not sounding nearly as bad as it does on paper. Comedy is also about playing with the underlying thoughts and assumptions of the audience as well, so I can see the bathroom and Caitlyn Jenner jokes being similar to the way Bill Burr phrases jokes about masculinity. I'm not a fan of taking isolated sentences from a bit at a comedy show and presenting it as a definitive statement that the comedian truly believes.

So he's saying that Hillary's campaign leaked the tape, and not someone from within Trump's camp?

Is there any basis for this claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom