• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Louis CK Comedy Special "Sorry"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Available on his website

Bitter Pearl-Clutching Lady said:
During last weekend’s broadcast of Saturday Night Live, some viewers received an unpleasant surprise as the words “LOUIS C.K. IS BACK” appeared in giant font across their screens. It was both an ad for his latest stand-up special, Sorry, and an odd declaration considering that the disgraced comedian has hardly vanished from public view since admitting to a string of sexual misconduct allegations made against him in 2017. Not to mention that this sort of announcement set to upbeat music implies the return of someone or something good, like ABBA or The Matrix. To make things creepier, the promo ran right before a re-airing of the famous Lonely Island and Justin Timberlake sketch, “Dick In A Box.”

Despite some of the disgust this ad garnered on social media, there isn’t a better time for C.K. to reassert himself into people’s homes. Since The New York Times reported on his predatory behavior toward up-and-coming female comics, most notably masturbating in front of them, the comedian’s #MeToo backlash has mostly manifested in a loss of television gigs while still being embraced at comedy venues and festivals like the legendary Comedy Cellar, Skankfest and Madison Square Garden’s Hulu Theater, where his new special was taped in August, and using those profits to distribute exclusive content on his website, which earns him more money. Last month, he also received a Grammy nomination for Best Comedy Album for a recording of his 2020 standup special at Warner Theater, Sincerely, Louis C.K., proving, much like his industry comrade and fellow transphobe Dave Chappelle, there isn’t a better time to be “canceled.”

Likewise, C.K.’s latest project relishes in the myth of “cancellation” that has become one of the most widely and incorrectly appropriated terms in the public lexicon in the Trump age. Sorry, currently available on his website, carries an overt smugness and unapologetic-ness throughout its hour-long runtime, from the ironic use of a giant “SORRY” marquee sign in the background to a 15-minute opening bit on pedophilia to a closing rant on the feminization of straight men, in which he says the F-word several times with gleeful abandon. Like most of C.K.’s goading comedy, he attempts to humorlessly rationalize and empathize with the most repulsive behavior, like suggesting pedophiles have access to child sex dolls to prevent them from abusing actual children, and balks at reasonable human tendencies, like our collective shock over the massive amount of COVID-19 death

This special is a noticeably less bitter and resentful performance than the mean-spirited soundbites from his comedy shows over the past two years, including hackneyed digs at Asian men, non-binary people and Parkland shooting survivors. At his most acute, C.K. still manages to underscore the ridiculousness of our collective flaws as a species in a casually hilarious way that unfortunately made me chuckle a few times, including when he lampoons our apathy toward isolated tragedies that’s recently been upended by a global pandemic or society’s cruel treatment of fat people. However, like most straight, male comics who think queer people have too many rights, he has to pit fat people against trans people, suggesting we’re kinder to the latter group (as if those two groups can’t overlap). Additionally, he can never seem to flip this critical lens onto himself, only mentioning his past transgressions for a moment of pity by comparing his short-lived exile to being in quarantine.

Jokes? In current_year? Not allowed.

trickybiff

bold-strategy-dodgeball.gif

forgiveness and moving on shouldn’t be the exception to the rule for people who show genuine contrition as he has.
Has he, though? Calling his new special "Sorry." seems like a pretty flippant unapolegetic attitude to take.

That being said, CK's specials are so good that "cancelling' him and refusing to watch his specials feels more like a self-punishment than it does a punishment for CK. At least, that's the excuse that I'm telling myself.

trikster40

I’m still not sure why exactly people feels he needs punishment? From what I gathered at the time, he would ask women if he could masturbate in front of them, they consented, later they felt gross, and then accused him of forcing them to watch (maybe not forced, but they felt some sort of obligation to or something, who knows)? Still not sure where the punishment fits in between two consenting adults when one party later goes “ewww”.

Did I miss something, or was the story all wrong? He was never criminally charged with anything, no civil suits, nothing.

Mistake

Has he, though? Calling his new special "Sorry." seems like a pretty flippant unapolegetic attitude to take.

That being said, CK's specials are so good that "cancelling' him and refusing to watch his specials feels more like a self-punishment than it does a punishment for CK. At least, that's the excuse that I'm telling myself.
As some people said, he did his time and it shouldn’t be a life sentence.

Thaedolus

He owned up to it right when it came out and apologized and basically self-exiled for a while. I’m not sure what else he’s supposed to do to appease people upset by it; if he just ignored it completely then I’m sure people would call that erasure or some new made up shit to be mad about and slag him for that. I think still acknowledging it and making self deprecating jokes about it is the only way he can really make lemonade out of the situation.

GloveSlap

I’m still not sure why exactly people feels he needs punishment? From what I gathered at the time, he would ask women if he could masturbate in front of them, they consented, later they felt gross, and then accused him of forcing them to watch (maybe not forced, but they felt some sort of obligation to or something, who knows)? Still not sure where the punishment fits in between two consenting adults when one party later goes “ewww”.

Did I miss something, or was the story all wrong? He was never criminally charged with anything, no civil suits, nothing.
Its weird behavior for sure, but i remember "at least he asked" being my main reaction at the time. As long as he didn't retaliate if they refused.

I hope this is funny. The idea this guy lost everything he did because he was a little bit weird sexually is fucking bonkers. The same people that got out the torches and pitchforks for Louie cheer for every stupid weird thing other people do. Louie was damaged just to satiate the egos of a bunch of Twitter addicted assholes.

GeekyDad

Love Louis CK. I over-consume his comedy like he overeats. But I think he's wearing thin for me. Would love to see him take a bit of a hiatus.

MastAndo

That Good Will Hunting bit is pretty damn funny. Louis CK is one of the handful of stand-up acts I genuinely enjoy. I'm going to have to check this out.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I saw it the other night, it was funny. “How’s everyone enjoyed living like me for the last year and a half???”

he’s completely leaned into his own situation for comedic purposes, and I like that. A great comedian finds humor in even the most grim of subjects.

Blackage

Really enjoyed this special. He was in good form.

The title "Sorry" is because of the absurdly offensive things he says in his act not a commentary on cancel culture or his past transgressions.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I always found him very funny but he did get way too political preachy right before his scandal so meh.

Winter John

Gold Member
Generally I'm sympathetic to the more progressive side of things. What I cannot stand is the lack of empathy, or chance of redemption, I often see from that side when it comes to people they've labelled as bad. Louis was clearly in the wrong. He admitted he was wrong. It's been years. The guy deserves a chance.

ShadowNate

It was funny and good seeing him continue doing what he does best without holding back (not noticeably much anyway).
I agree, not as strong as the previous one.
Still quite good though.

Hari Seldon

The left cannot stand that they have completely lost comics with their lunacy. I will buy this off his website like the last one.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Another great set. The Boy Scouts bit went a little too long, the final bit about how gay men are now more manly than gen z men was hilarious.

DeaDPo0L84

I enjoy this guy's comedy, for me he's up there with Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr, the latter which I'll be seeing live before end of year.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
My favorite type of comedy/comedian honestly. I dunno what it is about him but ever since I saw some clip of him with some late night host years ago his style really spoke to me. I think it's really about his delivery, I think it's great.

Was the crux of his cancelation based solely on the fact he'd jerk off in front of women? And that while they may have been weirded out, they did indeed give their consent?

If so, that's really sad. If there's more, I stand corrected but at the end of the day...

cancel culture can piss off.

Last edited:

The Skull

My favorite type of comedy/comedian honestly. I dunno what it is about him but ever since I saw some clip of him with some late night host years ago his style really spoke to me. I think it's really about his delivery, I think it's great.

Was the crux of his cancelation based solely on the fact he'd jerk off in front of women? And that while they may have been weirded out, they did indeed give their consent?

If so, that's really sad. If there's more, I stand corrected but at the end of the day...

cancel culture can piss off.
That's all I've ever heard about it and he did address it in his last special. They made him out to be like a Harvey Weinstein when in reality it seems he asked consent, it was given and then at the height of the me too movement, it was retroactively taken away.

Top Bottom