• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard this line of thinking before. It absolutely does not, Dave. "They let you do it" is from Donald's perspective, not the person he's acting upon. Letting Trump touch you could just as easily mean "too afraid to do anything about it" or "just rolling with it because it's not worth saying no."

A percentage of these instances may, potentially, be invited. But in no way does it imply universal consent.

If you take the "they" as meaning the women, themselves, rather than the authorities, and "let" as implying that they actively wanted him to do it - which, using just the words, themselves, and divorcing them from the source, is a pretty easy interpretation to come to - it could easily imply consent. It's external knowledge of Trump's whole being that tipped people off to Trump being a serial sexual predator.

heh, need to see it on video before I judge.

stand up comedy doesn't work when transcribed out of context. for instance, Bill Burr is my favorite comedian and, even though his head is in the right place, a lot of the jokes he makes sound vile if you write and spin them into an article like this.

If you transcribed his bit about the Houston rapist it'd be the most disturbing thing in the world.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt now

Not surprised at all about this. I've been warning you guys for months in a few different threads that he's a douche now. Saw him live in November and he had this weirdo authoritarian approach to live comedy: no phones out and no buying drinks while he's performing. The majority of his subject matter was complaining about his wife and kid while chain smoking cigarettes. Waste of $90.

JCizzle

I'm 100% with what he says. The audio was a prepared strike that they had in their belts since the beginning of the election, knowing that and withholding it for political benefit is foul.

I'm also concerned with how everything Clinton is buried under a rug just because Trump is nut job.
It's true. There only one out there reporting that she's a lizard demon is Alex Jones. If only the liburl MSM would do some real reporting

Madness

I don't like that he rated one oppression as more important than the others. That's fucked up Dave. If a gay man wants equality, let him fight for it wherever the fuck he feels it necessary to do so. Otherwise you're no different than those 'all lives matter' hacks.

Others rate their oppression against others all the time though. How many times does it happen where people say it is the civil rights issue of our time or 'imagine if someone did this to a black guy blah blah'.

Comparing Dave Chappelle to All Lives Matters folks? Please.

New jokes included cracks about the election and Donald Trump’s infamous “Access Hollywood” tape. “He said he was staying at the Trump Soho and grabbed one of the maids by the ‘p—y’ and told her, ‘It’s OK! Your boss said it’s all right,’” a spy said.

This joke in particular is whatever, it doesn't bother me, but it's the LGTBQ stuff that look really, really bad. (if quoted verbatim)

I don't admire Dave so my disappointment in him for revealing such opinions is a bit more lukewarm than others'

That being said, I don't think he should be defended as anyone else would get lambasted on social media for saying stuff like this

Nutter

I'm 100% with what he says. The audio was a prepared strike that they had in their belts since the beginning of the election, knowing that and withholding it for political benefit is foul.

I'm also concerned with how everything Clinton is buried under a rug just because Trump is nut job.

Comments like these make no sense.

Like another poster asked, what coverage are you watching?

I may also not agree with Clinton on several things, but as minority in this awesome country I simply cannot support a candidate like Trump that embodies everything wrong with human behavior.

Lowmelody

Fucking dumb ass

no

They "let" you get away with the initial unwanted contact. Just because some girl or woman goes into shock or is too afraid to stop a powerful man from groping her does NOT mean she consented.

Fucking twisted shit. Every ounce of respect I had for this man just went up in flames.

norm9

Not surprised at all about this. I've been warning you guys for months in a few different threads that he's a douche now. Saw him live in November and he had this weirdo authoritarian approach to live comedy: no phones out and no buying drinks while he's performing. The majority of his subject matter was complaining about his wife and kid while chain smoking cigarettes. Waste of $90.

Why would you have your phone out during a comedy show?

SoulUnison

Banned
The comedian wasn’t feeling so much love for women’s rights, gay rights, and transgender rights activists, saying, “They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself.”

Wow, this...actually really hurt me.
As a gay man whose had his share of -phobias and -isms in his life, screw you for telling me I should be ashamed for standing up for myself.

MMFA-emails-Bohelert.png

uh huh...

Why would you have your phone out during a comedy show?
I didn't, nor did I plan to, but we were threatened several times in several different ways about using our phones. It was off putting. I also had a newborn at the time and it was one of the first times we had a babysitter, so thanks to Dave I had to worry about the babysitter texting me and getting thrown the fuck out if I got caught responding. We saw a few people get thrown out just in our area that night.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Odds that this is taken out of context? Also lol at people complaining they cant use their phones.

I bet those rape victims coming forward were prepared strikes too. /sarc

johnsmith

remember me
Is the bolded supposed to be bad? It's a joke. No different from a Louis CK rape joke. He wasn't actually in the hotel assaulting women, and he's not pro-assault.

I bolded it to note that he'd made similar sexual assault jokes week ago, so it's not just the observer making stuff up.

And this is literally defending Trump's sexual assault, how is that not pro-assault.
Chappelle further shocked the New York crowd by defending Trump. He took issue with the media stating as fact that Trump had admitted committing sexual assault in the recorded conversation. “Sexual assault? It wasn’t. He said, ‘And when you’re a star, they let you do it.’ That phrase implies consent. I just don’t like the way the media twisted that whole thing. Nobody questioned it.”

norm9

I didn't, nor did I plan to, but we were threatened several times in several different ways about using our phones. It was off putting. I also had a newborn at the time and it was one of the first times we had a babysitter, so thanks to Dave I had to worry about the babysitter texting me and getting thrown the fuck out if I got caught responding. We saw a few people get thrown out just in our area that night.

Ahh okay. I can see how being told not to do something even when you're not doing it can be annoying.

Ponn

Banned
I love the Chapelle Show like most everyone else but if you have been paying attention to the stuff Dave has said and done on and off stage for years now then this shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. And every time it happens you have the same fans trying to spin it.

Boney

Banned
I don't fully (only mostly) disagree with stuff dave is saying but to say that hillary stuff has gotten swept under the rug is flat out wrong. Her dirty laundry has been aired for decades.
I don't mean those flamboyant accusations of email incompetence and wanting to cover it up. But things like how her cabinet is going to look like and the such. I mean, I get it, if I were in the states I would do everything to minimize any chance of Trump winning.

There's nothing prepared about the audio. It's 100% verbatim and unedited.
Oh I don't mean it like that. The audio must've been known for years but not aired for lawsuits concerns and Clinton staff must've known about it since 2015 and had it so it aired before the second debate. That's what I mean about exploiting this situation for maximum damage/ boosting oneself

shoelacer

Banned
I've been warning you guys for months in a few different threads that he's a douche now. Saw him live in November and he had this weirdo authoritarian approach to live comedy: no phones out and no buying drinks while he's performing.

Oh man, he didn't want to be needlessly interrupted during his set? What a douche

Nosgotham

isnt that pretty normal for a comedy show? all of them ive been to

royalan

If this comes as a shock, you ain't been paying attention.

It has been CLEAR from day 1 that Dave Chappelle is dumb as shit.

He has always bee dumb as shit.

He probably gonna die dumb as shit.

entremet

Being a long time Dave fan, I think he's just trolling the shit out of everyone. Dude isn't a dummy.

Sounds like his version of "PC Culture run amok" tirades but done as a comedy set for shock value.

So instead of complaining about he makes an irreverent set about it. It's not comedy for everyone. He's not Jeff Foxxworthy.

He's also rich enough not to care about the fall out.

diaspora

Fucking dumb ass

no

They "let" you get away with the initial unwanted contact. Just because some girl or woman goes into shock or is too afraid to stop a powerful man from groping her does NOT mean she consented.

Fucking twisted shit. Every ounce of respect I had for this man just went up in flames.
19b885c1c397f2424b98cdfb89da246a.jpg

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Reading the transcripts of a comedy show, especially one of Dave Chapelle might not be the best way to grab context.

This was on stage at a comedy show correct? I just wanna make sure cause this would be a really shitty thing to say otherwise.

Luschient

He likened voting for her to a hypothetical situation of actress Halle Berry breaking wind in his face during sexual relations. “I’m still going to go for it,” he said. “But I wish she hadn’t done that thing.”

“If you need to show your birth certificate to take a dump at a Wal-Mart in North Carolina, that’s insane.”

He also said he wasn’t happy about rumors that Caitlyn Jenner would pose nude for Sports Illustrated. “Sometimes I just want to read some stats.”
giphy.gif

cordy

Banned
Might just be me but I think they were just jokes. Chappelle's good at the "lemme try to turn a bad situation into something funny on it's ear" thing before and it just feels like this might be one of them. That's just me.

Who woulda thunk that sometimes even reverred celebs say dumb shit. Not gunna crucify him for having an opinion I don't agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom