• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

cordy

Banned
I mean, this: “They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself." is a terrible "joke", if true.

"implies consent" and "woman with a dick" seems impossible to make funny as well, certainly in 2016, but I guess the other stuff is whatever?

Yeah I agree with you, it's a bad joke if it's true because overall sexism, homophobia, transphobia, racism, I mean it's all bad overall. I wouldn't say one's worse than the other given they're a negative.

But reading that all I could imagine was Chappelle's crazy voice with a fake "anger" attached to it if that makes any sense. It just seemed like one of his jokes. If it's not then shit, that's fucked up.

Alienfan

Comedians are allowed to be critical when making jokes ffs

It's a comedy set, ffs

I don't know if he did say those things,but comedy is not some armour you can just slip in and out of to make sexist,homophobic and transgender jokes. Unless you're coming from one of those minority groups, you shouldn't even attempt to talk about them in such a negative light. Making jokes at the expense of others like that isn't "comedy".

sonicmj1

This isn't a Kramer situation so I'm not going to judge a comment based on cherry picked out-of- context quotes from a comedy show.

This.

You can see why that's a bad idea by comparing the comments in the OP about consent with the punchline in the New York Post story. It assumes a horrible viewpoint and then carries it to its logical, absurd conclusion to show why it's wrong. But if you only pick out the setup, you get the exact opposite impression.

Give me context or don't bother.

Brinbe

But doesn't make it right.

I wouldn't go to any of his shows because he says the fucked up shit, that is my point.
If that's your litmus test, I'd say avoid most if not all comedy shows lmao. But that's fine.

And I'm not saying comedians have free reign for hateful opinions. But idk, Dave's not some crazy and hateful dude.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I saw him last year and he did a whole segment that was pretty transphobic so I'm not terribly surprised. It bummed me out it wasn't particularly hateful or anything, just ignorant, but it did put a damper on me finally seeing him live.

megalowho

No.

NBC News first became aware of the footage late Monday after receiving notice from producers at “Access Hollywood,” a syndicated entertainment-news program owned by NBC. The program’s producers had combed their archives for interviews with Trump after reading an Associated Press account of crude remarks he had made about female contestants on “The Apprentice,” the NBC reality program that Trump had starred on for 14 seasons.

They found the 2005 segment, in which Trump and “Access Hollywood” co-host Billy Bush banter crudely about women while traveling to a studio taping.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...c6850e-8db9-11e6-875e-2c1bfe943b66_story.html
Thanks for reposting this. I'm cool with jokes about Clinton, taking politicians down, Chappelle doing his Illuminati thing, whatever. But we have reached peak obfuscation of facts lately and throwing more "something's going on" bs on the pile when the story isn't even being hidden is exhausting and irresponsible. That's not a joke, that's paranoia in the face of reality.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm 100% with what he says. The audio was a prepared strike that they had in their belts since the beginning of the election, knowing that and withholding it for political benefit is foul.

I'm also concerned with how everything Clinton is buried under a rug just because Trump is nut job.
This "people aren't hard enough on Democrats" victimization is some la-la land bullshit. You really think that if a Democrat had disrespected veterans the same ways that Trump did, that the media and the party wouldn't have blasted them clear off the face of the election then and there? If a Democratic candidate took the stage with kids from multiple ex-wives that they wouldn't have instantly been vilified and deemed unelectable for it? Nevermind the sexual assault tapes and allegations.

Pages of incidents that would have absolutely sunk a Dem campaign have just slid off Trump's. If Donald was nailed on every terrible behavior he's absolutely displayed with anywhere near the same tenacity that Hillary's been dragged through the streets for every sorta sketchy behavior she might have been involved with, Trump's campaign would be a smoking crater.

But yeah, people are just too tough on Republicans, a bloo hoo hoo.

Kreed

I personally don't like news stories on comedians and the jokes they tell because an important part about jokes and comedy is how the jokes are told, the context, and the delivery. Example, Dave Chappelle did a comedy skit years ago about Elizabeth Smart "not being very smart at all". If he had done that joke today and that was the headline with no context about the joke, we'd have a 10 page thread in the OT saying Comedy Central needs to end the Chappelle show based on the article. Until we see the jokes in context, IMO, we should wait before criticizing the jokes.

Damerman

the video itself isn't sexual assault, but the video is evidence for the women who accuse him of sexual assault.

He also clearly said that the north caroline laws are wrong, so how is this trans phobic? it's harder to interpret the line about not wanting a woman with a penis to piss next to him at a urinal but it heavily suggests that if a woman considers themselves a woman, they should be able to use a woman's bathroom... so i'm not seeing how this is trans phobic?

the line about Jenner might be crass, but it a joke and i would hardly call that transphobic either.

here is what i said in the other thread. this is getting blown out of proportion imo.

Alucrid

Banned
If this comes as a shock, you ain't been paying attention.

It has been CLEAR from day 1 that Dave Chappelle is dumb as shit.

He has always bee dumb as shit.

He probably gonna die dumb as shit.

Being a long time Dave fan, I think he's just trolling the shit out of everyone. Dude isn't a dummy.

Sounds like his version of "PC Culture run amok" tirades but done as a comedy set for shock value.

So instead of complaining about he makes an irreverent set about it. It's not comedy for everyone. He's not Jeff Foxxworthy.

He's also rich enough not to care about the fall out.

huh

If his career wasn't dead before, you can stick a fork in him now for good.

What a sellout.

Not even gonna waste my time watching SNL now.

Total disappointment.

LordKasual

Banned
There's some context (or something) probably being missed here. He could be speaking from personal experience.

Donald Trump's tape of him admitting those kinds of things aren't really surprising because he's butt fuckingly rich, and the dynamic is likely completely different. I would never condone clearly explicit sexual assault like Trump described in that tape. But the idea that many women who work in the business and know who he is wouldn't throw themselves at him willingly is a bit naive. So in that sense, Trump saying that tape was "locker room speak" is actually accurate. Whether or not he actually is that brazen is another discussion entirely. Now, Trump himself gave the impression that he does it not because women throw themselves at him, but because he throws himself at them, and for whatever reason they just go along with it. Which is pretty gross. But if Trump didn't blatantly imply that he just gropes women without them even asking because he's so ridiculously rich that they just let him take the panties, then it would at least make sense.

At least, i'm pretty sure (before the election), Donald Trump could probably approach women my age and pull them significantly easier than I could without ever touching their bodies. I think that's what Chappelle is alluding to here.

However:

The comedian wasn’t feeling so much love for women’s rights, gay rights, and transgender rights activists, saying, “They should not be having that conversation in front of black people. You go ahead and feel something about your rights. But if you’re putting sexism and homophobia and transphobia in front of racism, you should be ashamed of yourself.”

This is some charged ass reporting if i've ever seen it.

It's a comedy show, he's not pushing a political agenda, he's there to setup jokes and make you laugh. This is the same Dave Chappelle who is legitimately weary of the Illuminati, however much truth that holds. The fact that he had some jokes for Clinton isn't at the least surprising, at least he actually VOTED for her instead of being one of those "my vote doesn't even matter" people. This article is so obviously using rhetoric that's meant to enrage sensitive people that i dont know why you guys are taking it so serious.

You guys really think Dave Chappelle condones sexual assault? Do you think homo/transphobic jokes are off-limits to a comedian, or that saying them somehow provides their stance on actual, real-life issues?

Ponn

Banned
The same repurcussions we give to other people who come out as racist. Public shame.

While racism is still very much a thing, LGBT hate is still several rungs under that on the "outrage" meter. Just look at this thread and the responses and hand waiving "its just a joke", for several years now, just one big ongoing joke.

theecakee

What are repurcussions then?

This sounds Gestapo like.

I mean obviously the police aren't going to go arrest him for saying his opinion. Nobody is suggesting that, but his reputation is going to take a hit.

See Michael Richards laugh factory incident.

entremet

I mean obviously the police aren't going to go arrest him for saying his opinion. Nobody is suggesting that, but his reputation is going to take a hit.

See Michael Richards laugh factory incident.

No remotely comparable at all and I have no idea why it's being brought up.

Air

Banned
I went to one of the shows back in September. I think it's important that people realize that a lot of what he said could be taken out of context and that he tried to explain himself without simply just going off. It was something he was worried about with my group and even expressed that he was glad we couldn't record because while he could understand that some of the stuff he was saying could be seen as bad, at least we let him go through his set without judging.

That said, none of the jokes that's written here were said in the set I was in.

Ekai

Given how he's been bigoted in the past in regards to trans-issues, I'm not all that surprised.

I'm more surprised at people's being surprised about it.

There might be some additional context that we're missing and I would wait before criticizing him. That having been said, I don't like the attitude many here have that you should get a free pass from all criticism because you're a comedian. Comedy being apolitical is a myth, tons of comedians try to influence people as well as make them laugh. If the ideas they're spreading suck, I'm going to say they suck.

theecakee

No remotely comparable at all and I have no idea why it's being brought up.

Micheal Richards said terrible things during a stand up, then his reputation and career was pretty much over.

That's the repercussion, not some Nazi Germany situation that you suggested of arresting a stand up comedian for saying tasteless remarks or opinions. That's not what anybody is suggesting.

smurfx

get some go again
i would probably be more upset at dave if he hadn't basically gone awol for years. i didn't even get all that excited to hear he was touring again. if this is the start of dave 2.0 then i'll continue not paying attention to him.

entremet

People in this thread have already provided their own anecdotes that confirm his bigotry. Doesn't seem like a stretch.

How many more accounts of his sets do you need? None of this is any surprise to anyone who has been keeping tabs on him.

I read people posting that they know where he stands there, but I didn't see footage or sets posted.

Micheal Richards said terrible things during a stand up, then his reputation was pretty much over.

That's the repercussion, not some Nazi Germany situation that you suggested of arresting a stand up comedian for saying tasteless remarks or opinions. That's not what anybody is suggesting.

Michael Richards used the N word on two black hecklers. That wasn't part of his set or jokes. Not that he would've been able to make a joke of that either.

I'm fine with public shame or whatever repercussions, but I'm going to need better evidence. Richards was taped and very clear.

Apparently he doesn't understand discrimination.

He's prioritizing racism over bigotry and sexism.

They're all fighting the SAME BATTLE.

While a lot of what he said was inappropriate, are we really thinking Dave was defending Donald Trump? Like come on the dude would never defend Donald Trump he represents everything Dave hates.

There might be some additional context that we're missing and I would wait before criticizing him. That having been said, I don't like the attitude many here have that you should get a free pass from all criticism because you're a comedian. Comedy being apolitical is a myth, tons of comedians try to influence people as well as make them laugh. If the ideas they're spreading suck, I'm going to say they suck.
Yep.

GAF has this thing where we're like "you can't even tell jokes anymore" despite thousands of comedians saying whatever the fuck they want daily. Comedy + commentary/criticism of the comedy has alllllways been how it is. You guys just never saw it because marginalized groups never had a mainstream voice until social media and inclusion got big around 2009.

I see a strong correlation between being a hasbeen and being out of touch when it comes to comedians. Seinfeld, Chappelle, John Cleese, Chris Rock etc. I mean I'm sure Cleese knows he's old hat but if you're not funny anymore then maybe stop using your dwindling fame to blame society for your personal failures.

entremet

Yep.

GAF has this thing where we're like "you can't even tell jokes anymore" despite thousands of comedians saying whatever the fuck they want daily. Comedy + commentary/criticism of the comedy has alllllways been how it is. You guys just never saw it because marginalized groups never had a mainstream voice until social media and inclusion got big around 2009.

I agree with most of these points. No art is immune from criticism, but do we have the set available in question? Seems like a big deal to have it before making a judgment.

I still love Chappelle despite what hes saying, the calls for him to be held "accountable" are ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/Kth0UOU5a_M?t=1m51s

With all the Michel Richard parallel attempts from people I think this clip reflects the public reaction to the Richards clip is different then the people in the clubs reaction.

An offensive flop bit will get a reaction and the performer will not be invited back to the club, when the same set hits the public they become a social pariah.

The environments are completely different so if this was a set its a little better but in the end hes a comedian no one should base political beliefs on what he says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom