• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Lol dude leaves for a little bit and everyone forgets he's batshit. He was saying all kinds of crazy crap after he left the show.

What I mean is depending on how devout he is changes how much of his identity is based on his religion. someone who is devout would probably be more pissed off by trump's comments compared to someone who isn't devout.

I just googled dave chapelle alcohol and dave chapelle drinking and found these

http://gawker.com/detroit-audience-pretty-mad-over-allegedly-drunk-dave-c-1700314729

http://pagesix.com/2016/09/06/tequila-no-laughing-matter-for-dave-chappelle/
damn I really thought he quiet after he converted

Ponn

Banned
It's not hard to understand why people are a little upset that a man with a history of ignorance at best against the LGBT community making a joke like this ain't kosher.

It's possible to understand that he was joking, that the trump bit was a joke, that this was an attempt at a joke, and still not be okay with hit because of his history on the subject.

Like if Eminem was recorded going on a homophobic rant in the booth to test it as a verse, that wouldn't surprise anybody would it?

It's not that its surprising thats infuriating, at least to me. It's that it continually gets ignored and handwaived off with the exact same tactics that those who denounce other forms of oppression would themselves criticize. And its not isolated, its a continual thing, thats why you see so many "I need context like last time" because its not going to come for them, ever. And they are ok with that, just look at this thread. It's pretty disgusting and has always bugged me. It's hypocritical beyond belief. He quit his show because he had an introspective moment about how he was actually hurting the african-american community with his skits, but has no problem continuing to do the same to other minority groups. Why is that?

Ekai

It's not that its surprising thats infuriating, at least to me. It's that it continually gets ignored and handwaived off with the exact same tactics that those who denounce other forms of oppression would themselves criticize. And its not isolated, its a continual thing, thats why you see so many "I need context like last time" because its not going to come for them, ever. And they are ok with that, just look at this thread. It's pretty disgusting and has always bugged me. It's hypocritical beyond belief. He quit his show because he had an introspective moment about how he was actually hurting the african-american community with his skits, but has no problem continuing to do the same other minority groups. Why is that?

Part of me wants to say because the Democrats who secretly don't give a shit about certain minority groups want a person to rally behind. It's funny since I've seen some of the same users in the past (I swear anyway, could be wrong) condemn the same arguments when applied to race. But when it's applied to the LGBT community then it's all "we need more context"....despite all the context/his history being provided.

The oppression olympics on display is depressing. Minorities shouldn't be beating each other down. I know it's a thing since I've seen it first-hand but it bothers me greatly.

IrishNinja

ill say this: bill burr and patrice o'neil both held social views i found disagreeable/sometimes ugly, but i enjoyed their comedy. im sure i'm forgetting other comedians here too - god knows carlin's anti-PC bit gets tossed around by the alt-right plenty.

it's possible i'm more comfortable with this dissonance as a hip hop fan forever now, though.

yeah you guys are right, context doesn't matter. we don't need to know what he said before he said "They should not be having that conversation" we should just assume "That conversation" is referring to is the worst possible thing and judge him based on that. ffs.

"what does context have to do with it", do you guys know what critical thinking is?

Yes. What do you think about the fact that this is one of multiple trans jokes he's made, and a milder joke than he's wont to make? Many people in here are likely more informed on this than you are, which is why they are talking about it.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Look at the people on coins now, and remember some had slaves. Remember what they did to their slaves.

Lol, did you just imply that Hilary deserves to be on a coin because "at least she didn't own slaves".

Maybe I should be on a coin.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lol, did you just imply that Hilary deserves to be on a coin because "at least she didn't own slaves".

Maybe I should be on a coin.

Dennis4k of 2k16. I can get behind that.

Is Transhuman Dennis' new account or what?

That avatar threw me off real bad...

isn't Dave Chappelle a Muslim?

that makes it like the 2nd or 3rd Muslim celebrity who spoke positively about Trump

Dude, it seems like you are always posting stuff that imply Muslim loves doing bad things or that Muslims are bad people, what's up with that? Do you hate Muslims or something? It'd be better if you just say it so, you know, instead of doing all these nudge-nudge wink-wink stuff all the time, it's tiring.

Anyways, considering that Trump is the champion of banning all Muslims in the US rhetoric, it's safe to say that him and anyone supporting him is not a friend of Muslims in any way, shape, or form.

Violater

Went to his show when he became to town, he was neither funny nor entertaining. Then he started defending Bill Cosby.

I'm not trying to defend Chapelle but anyone who has followed his career should not be surprised by him saying stuff like this.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
During what is probably his most famous stand up shows, Killing Me Softly, didn't he actually put Clinton--Bill Clinton--in a good light? I mean, he put up jokes about his sexual activities, true, but I honestly thought he was being affectionate towards Bill.

Kinda hard to imagine he all of a sudden pivoted towards someone like Trump.

This is typical Chappelle. Why is anyone surprised by this. The bulk of his comedy is based on stuff like this. Is he serious in what he says? I highly doubt it. People need to really go back and look at all his old stuff if what he said is a shock to you.

This is typical Chappelle. Why is anyone surprised by this. The bulk of his comedy is based on stuff like this. Is he serious in what he says? I highly doubt it. People need to really go back and look at all his old stuff if what he said is a shock to you.

But I can look back and see that a lot of his humor was not done with the goal of denigration of black people; in fact, the stuff that was made Chappelle so sick that he actually needed to quit the show. Here, I do not get the same impression in his jokes about LGBT people that he is making fun of racism/society/whatever.

Ponn

Banned
So he's cool again? It's hard to keep up.

It's disingenuous as all hell. Yes the OP brought up his defending Trump in a skit, that was just a small part of the problem and if people bother to go back and read the majority of the thread (yea right, like that is going to happen) that wasn't what people were upset about. It was his usual transphobic talk and his oppression olympics comment and putting down LGBT rights as not important. All the TMZ reporter asked was "are you a Trump supporter" Thats it, thats all he asked. It's not really surprising though nor the people that are going to come in and act like hes vindicated and try to sweep this under the rug quickly with nothing at all actually confronted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom