• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

televator

I guess Joe Rogan, Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle -- all very funny people -- all disagree with you.

People can be funny, until they aren't. I've enjoyed Chappelle before, and Rogan was the center of attemtion in another thread recently for similarly unfunny resons too.

While I would like to wait for some context for the majorty of the stuff said, I really wish you guys brings some countrs to either part of the "Racial based oprresion is more sever(urgent/widespread/dangurous) hence it requires a bigger more focused platform/attantion" argument, insted of just being outraged.

Makai

I don't understand why people are surprised when a celebrity expresses a view like this. Reactionary commentary on current events is the backbone of any standup act. Most people aren't even social progessives, let alone in lockstep with all ideological planks.

Ekai

While I would like to wait for some context for the majorty of the stuff said, I really wish you guys brings some countrs to either part of the "Racial based oprresion is more sever(urgent/widespread/dangurous) hence it requires a bigger more focused platform/attantion" argument, insted of just being outraged.

So many posters have commented on Dave's Oppression Olympics logic.

I don't understand why people are surprised when a celebrity expresses a view like this. Reactionary commentary on current events is the backbone of any standup act. Most people aren't even social progessives, let alone in lockstep with all ideological planks.

I don't think people are surprised. At least the majority of them are not. I'm frankly just surprised by the few people who didn't know Dave is transphobic, sexist, etc. etc.

People are, however, critical. Dave's comedy has a history of this kind of stuff and when he starts to play Oppression Olympics, it's going to get called out even harder for what it is. He's not doing a comedy bit. He's belittling the struggles of other minorities and repeating trite and overused 'jokes' from decades yesteryear about them. It'd be like if a white comic used a 'joke' from the 60s that made an interracial couple the butt of the situation. It's not funny, it's not clever. It's ridiculously insulting, old-fashioned, and shows numerous levels of a lack of self-awareness.

Chapelle has been saying transphobic shit on stage for a while. A few years back he was caught saying something like, "To what point should we support your delusion?" about trans people. Like other people have said in his thread, even if you ignore his despicable opinions, he's way past his prime and I wouldn't see him live these days just based on the quality of his comedy.

Keri

He's basically telling other minorities and oppressed groups to shut up, because their problems aren't important, when compared to the problems that personally effect him. They've heard enough of that over the years, they don't need it from Chapelle too.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Noting that he voted early in rural Yellow Springs, Ohio before heading to New York, Chappelle said he “didn’t feel good” about voting for Clinton. “She’s going to be on a coin someday. And her behavior has not been coin-worthy,” he said. “She’s not right and we all know she’s not right.”

I don't get why this part was highlighted. This is not a controversial point

Ekai

Chapelle has been saying transphobic shit on stage for a while. A few years back he was caught saying something like, "To what point should we support your delusion?" about trans people. Like other people have said in his thread, even if you ignore his despicable opinions, he's way past his prime and I wouldn't see him live these days just based on the quality of his comedy.

He's basically telling other minorities and oppressed groups to shut up, because their problems aren't important, when compared to the problems that personally effect him. They've heard enough of that over the years, they don't need it from Chapelle too.

Basically these posts in a nutshell.

If you aren't going to bother reading the thread I can't help you.

Devil

I'm trying, but I simply can't imagine a way where that stuff about racism vs sexual discrimination couldn't be considered extremely stupid. Really disappointed.

Though I also can't see how criticizing media portrayal on Trump outright means he is defending him as a person or what he says (not stating he's right here). Trump says enough shit by himself, there is no need to twist it to be even more negative. By doing so though you give Trump supporters another reason to hate 'biased media', you play into their hands. Still far from a good way to portray this argument if this is even what he meant. Letting him do what he want because he's famous is not necessarily 'consent' man..

does anyone have actual audio from this event? it would be interesting to hear his comments in original context rather than clickbaity articles.

wouldn't be the first time social media condemned someone at the drop of a hat.

Beefy

does anyone have actual audio from this event? it would be interesting to hear his comments in original context rather than clickbaity articles.

Why do people keep on saying "it's all about the context", why does he have to say shit like this in the first place?

RedHill

Banned
Dave Chapelle: Gay and trans people need to stop "activism" because black people have struggles too that are more important.

Half of gaf: what the fuck

Other half: stupid PC liberal, he is a COMEDIAN. This is a form of comedy that your PC brain can't appear to handle.

yeah you guys are right, context doesn't matter. we don't need to know what he said before he said "They should not be having that conversation" we should just assume "That conversation" is referring to is the worst possible thing and judge him based on that. ffs.

"what does context have to do with it", do you guys know what critical thinking is?

Ekai

Dave Chapelle: Gay and trans people need to stop "activism" because black people have struggles too that are more important.

Half of gaf: what the fuck

Other half: stupid PC liberal, he is a COMEDIAN. This is a form of comedy that your PC brain can't appear to handle.

This is pretty much my take on the topic at this point.

There is literally video of him in the past saying highly transphobic shit. And in what "context" is his belittling of other minorities struggles anything but abhorrent? He's literally arguing for oppression olympics and saying other minorities don't matter. Not to mention he's used constant trite decades old 'jokes' about trans-individuals tricking others/making us out to be sexual deviants. Not to mention his comments about not wanting to participate in "our delusion". The guy has a history. I don't give a shit about the "context" here. There's no context in which this looks like anything but what it is.

Permanently A

devout or not he's a Muslim. what indication is there that he drinks?

What I mean is depending on how devout he is changes how much of his identity is based on his religion. someone who is devout would probably be more pissed off by trump's comments compared to someone who isn't devout.

I just googled dave chapelle alcohol and dave chapelle drinking and found these

http://gawker.com/detroit-audience-pretty-mad-over-allegedly-drunk-dave-c-1700314729

http://pagesix.com/2016/09/06/tequila-no-laughing-matter-for-dave-chappelle/

I can't judge until I actually hear the joke in full context. Especially these days where sensitive folks can't take political humor if it dares goes against "my team!"

I've seen my share of live stand-up this year (Chappelle in LA, Louis CK twice, Ali Wong, Laugh Factory Las Vegas), and with their kind of comedy you have to listen to their whole dialogue and delivery to really get what's being said. Pick-and-choosing choice quotes will always be taken out of context.

One thing I can say about Dave's recent stand-up: when I saw him do his show in LA he had a bit about social justice warriors...what he criticizes about them is that they keep having hyperbolic knee-jerk reactions to everything. He emphasizes for them to simply 'pace yourself.' Take a step back and think about it. Pick your battles. It was a common theme in his show back in March.

That said, for now I can give Dave the benefit of the doubt and take The Observer's original report with a grain of salt.

Ekai

I can't judge until I actually hear the joke in full context. Especially these days where sensitive folks can't take political humor if it dares goes against "my team!"

I can't even with posts like these anymore. Seriously, read the topic. The dude has a history of negativity surrounding the LGBT community.
Particularly with trans-individuals.

Ponn

Banned
Isn't this the equivalent of saying "his best friend is black!" except to say his best friend is all of the things he maligned, so he can get a pass?

Well actually in this context (which everyone seems to love that word when they want to ignore bad news) it isn't even that. The political Trump stuff was really the only thing there that could be handwaived off as a joke. The transphobic, anti-LGBT and oppression olympics stuff doesn't necessarily mean shit in that context. There have actually been threads on GAF showing feminist groups being against the transgender community. Saying "I'm liberal!" is not some shield.

Conservatives and racist have been doing it for years for now and it seems to work for them so hey, there you go.

i just can't believe the guy who's big catchphrase is "I'm Rick James, bitch!" and joking about R Kelly peeing on people would say something offensive

Ekai

Well actually in this context (which everyone seems to love that word when they want to ignore bad news) it isn't even that. The political Trump stuff was really the only thing there that could be handwaived off as a joke. The transphobic, anti-LGBT and oppression olympics stuff doesn't necessarily mean shit in that context. There have actually been threads on GAF showing feminist groups being against the transgender community. Saying "I'm liberal!" is not some shield.

You're speaking of terfs and they're fairly right-wing, to my knowledge.

However, you are certainly right about "I'm liberal" not being a shield. Have seen some Democrats, and even others in the LGBT spectrum, go after the trans community and then act all innocent when confronted on the matter. It's why I don't like Democrats too much but am forced to go with them.

It seems like GAF is only on board when Dave makes jokes about race. Because from what I'm reading here it doesn't sound like he's changed all that much. Stop wanting celebrities to mirror your thoughts and opinions. You'll die happier.

I doubt he's devout at all since it seems like he drinks
There are levels of devout. Many Muslims I know are ambivalent on drinking and do it regularly. Their excuse is that Mohammed drank (apparently). They won't eat pork and really hate gay and trans people though. I doubt Dave will ever confirm it one way or the other, but it's not impossible his transphobia is linked to his religion.

Ekai

No I totally get it, if the hate speech doesn't effect you its not worth your time.

The fact he's ignoring the topic and Dave's history on the matter is enough for me.

Guy can post whatever he wants but he's certainly not being too genuine if he refuses to see what people are discussing.

Democrats continue to disappoint me.

kmax

Considering that Kushner is Donald Trump's son in law that is a staunch supporter and the owner of The Observer, I'm not going to take this piece at face value.

If he joked about Clinton, he most certainly made fun of Trump as well.

It seems like GAF is only on board when Dave makes jokes about race. Because from what I'm reading here it doesn't sound like he's changed all that much. Stop wanting celebrities to mirror your thoughts and opinions. You'll die happier.

If your point here is that people don't like when he says hateful, bigoted shit, then...yes? I'm not sure that's really much of an observation.

Being a comedian isn't a free pass that forever exempts anything you say from criticism.

And to be clear, this isn't just about him "not agreeing". This is about him dehumanizing and demeaning people who actually post on this board. To be honest, I'm surprised he even knows the word "transphobia" given his track record.

EDIT: Though his bit about Trump and consent is...not great, either.

Ekai

If your point here is that people don't like when he says hateful, bigoted shit, then...yes? I'm not sure that's really much of an observation.

Being a comedian isn't a free pass that forever exempts anything you say from criticism.

And to be clear, this isn't just about him "not agreeing". This is about him dehumanizing and demeaning people who actually post on this board.

This is why "mere difference of opinion" as a defense for him disgusts me. He's insulted my humanity and the humanity of every other minority who struggles for even basic human rights. It's ridiculous. Especially when one considers he has a history of this in his "comedy". It's not like we're painting this picture of him out of nowhere.

Plus he uses trite decades old "jokes" that are neither clever nor funny on top of that. If we even try to humor the approach of "he's just a comedian", he isn't contributing anything new to that brand of "comedy" either. He's just being vile.

Alienfan

yeah you guys are right, context doesn't matter. we don't need to know what he said before he said "They should not be having that conversation" we should just assume "That conversation" is referring to is the worst possible thing and judge him based on that. ffs.

"what does context have to do with it", do you guys know what critical thinking is?

Aside from the election stuff, everything else,even if it was incorrect,can be replaced with almost identical statements he's been recorded saying in the past

Aside from the election stuff, everything else,even if it was incorrect,can be replaced with almost identical statements he's been recorded saying in the past

This is exactly why I can't understand this outrage. It's like people have been wilfully ignorant for a whole decade and now they're angry they can't keep up the charade. Like come on.

It's not hard to understand why people are a little upset that a man with a history of ignorance at best against the LGBT community making a joke like this ain't kosher.

It's possible to understand that he was joking, that the trump bit was a joke, that this was an attempt at a joke, and still not be okay with hit because of his history on the subject.

Like if Eminem was recorded going on a homophobic rant in the booth to test it as a verse, that wouldn't surprise anybody would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom