• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

petran79

Banned
He looks awful, especially in this outfit:

ScrIExz.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

DrArchon

And i bet people weren't as nitpicking as with KOFXIV(that looks dated but nowhere near as bad as that abomination)

A lot of the KOFXIV complaining is because it's following up on KOFXIII, which had some of the best looking sprites in any fighting game.

Meanwhile, Injustice was following up on MK9, which had stuff like this.
original.jpg

The standards were much lower for one than the other.

Astral Dog

GEEEZUS!

TWE-whatever has some of the worst designs I've seen. I hated her design.

Yep:

WUT:
92b5ad170aa7c81f6439f686d3efe7291359216209_large.jpg

There are mods to put the original Jill face on though.

That's one thing that always bothered me about Elena, is that she got those asian eyes in U3. The hell?
e1-446x500.jpg

2010145-256px_elena_fisher_render.png

EP79UC5.png

: To everyone who keeps telling me about Ikes "beefier" design. Telling me the origin of his new design doesn't stop it from being terrible. That's the point.
What they did to Jill was horrible, honestly, if they dont want to pay the actress dont use her much.

And the early screenshoots from REV she had a different face too! Now she looks younger.

If she has a different face, other voice, and paper thin characterization is she still Jill Valentine ?

Astral Dog

Embarrassing? Maybe for you. Bayonetta is a great design (IMO) - the exaggerated sex appeal is on purpose.

Her bayonetta 2 design is significantly better though, the short hair makes all the difference.
I think Bayonetta with short hair looks better because her suit design is better and more detailed, less things on her head and more accessories on her neck and hands.

She also looks a bit more "normal" in that suit for some reason (her exaggerated legs/proportions)

Also, her design/character model helped gameplay too apparently.

SystemUser

It's embarrassing because it looks stupid. Her limbs are grotesque, her proportions are way out of whack. I don't really care about her exaggerated sex appeal, though I dont know whats supposed to be sexually appealing about her.

This comment is very one point. Bayonetta looks like a monster trying to be sexy. The game is fun, but the character just looks dumb and goofy. The Aeon Flux cartoons did this way better. The character's body and movement was exaggerated, but she still reads as a human woman. Bayonetta looks like she was made by a robot or an alien that saw a drawing of a human one time.

And i bet people weren't as nitpicking as with KOFXIV(that looks dated but nowhere near as bad as that abomination)

Are you serious right now? Injustice and MK have gotten nothing but well deserved shit over their awful female models

Kof14 looks bad in comparison to kof13, but NR games look like that. You can put down your kof shield

MCN

Banned
Slight digression - but that person actually managed to get the tattoo fixed up by someone with actual talent:

Pretty incredible job, some tattoo artists are freakin' miracle workers.

Hmm, for some reason my eyes appear to be somewhat damper than usual.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Someone modeled this character for the purpose of titilation...

jakii_101003_1.jpg

looks even stranger in motion:
pNJokxh.gif

Straight up terrifying

Xux

Worst artist? Huh? Even if the style doesn't appeal to someone, the detail and shading is amazing on the characters imo.
It's impressive and obviously took a lot of work and talent, it just doesn't look good; Nishimura and Nona's art from the CVS games are way more visually appealing. The goofy samey faces and lacquer skin are so offputting.

I agree with whoever that was about Alex Ross. His work is amazing...but the characters look so creepy with the sprayed on costumes and the broken jaws and staring down their noses.

n64-revenge-11.png

The way the arms are never attached to the bodies of all the characters in all the AKI N64 Wrestling games. Especially when the Smackdown games on the PS1 didn't have this problem
4412953_orig.jpg

retroman

Saturn 3D has an iconic artstyle all its own, and we need more games emulating it for retro nostalgia rather than staying locked to the NES/SNES.

Fight me.

I owned a Saturn. While I greatly prefer 2D sprite-based games, the Saturn was home to quite a few 3D games with charming artstyles like NiGHTS, the Panzer Dragoon series, Virtual On, Last Bronx, Burning Rangers, Die Hard Arcade, Fighters Megamix, Dark Savior, the Virtua Cop series, etc.

Final Fight Revenge isn't one of those. It's just an ugly mess.

Most models in the original Batman Arkham Asylum, but especially Commissioner Gordon

Dude is off. Looks like a sleezy landlord or something. The unreal engine can be great, but it can also create muscular monsters that are unfit for the world.

Okay, here is another one:

Final Fantasy XV's hair is made up of about 20k polygons per character, which is awesome and all...but due to the pretty poor antialiasing solution hair looks really rough and thick like wire...

ffxv-e310.jpg

They even model each eyebrow hair separately instead of using a texture for that. That is also cool...but with some characters with dark and thick eyebrows, like Gladio, this looks imo pretty bad:

28381798655_91ec1c8ac8_o.jpg

Looks like two fat and hairy caterpillars are resting on his forehead. XD

They are not using a solution in a HairWorks/PureHair fashion, that is actually "just" a bunch of 3D planes carefully placed on each character head (and I say "just" since it is not that easy at all to have perfect hair planes positions in every situation...), with a texture applied on them, and I guess they can move and kind of flow in the wind depending on the weather condition, which is at the core the same solution UC4 used for example. Except that UC4 characters's hair are not dithered as hell. The filtering and shader rendering are mainly the reason of such an ugly result.

FFXV VS Uncharted 4

Zubz

Banned
I call this the Alex Ross Effect.

rossgreatestdisplay.jpeg

The costumes look so realistic that they look totally ridiculous imo. Like bad cosplay.

It also doesn't hurt that Alex Ross uses his face as a reference for many of his characters. He's one of my favorite artists, but it's a hard thing to un-notice after someone tells you.

That said, it kinda fits with Injustice recycling models regardless of gender and all...

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Most models in the original Batman Arkham Asylum, but especially Commissioner Gordon

Dude is off. Looks like a sleezy landlord or something. The unreal engine can be great, but it can also create muscular monsters that are unfit for the world.

Haha, even Bruce is looking at him like something's wrong.

domlolz

Banned
Pretty much every updated character model in the kingdom hearts HD remixes. They went from perfect in the original to pure shit
Example:

J7lfGMc.png

Original KH model replaced with garbage from 3D. Literally looks like a different person.

what? it looks exactly the same. in fact they were probably from the same original high resolution model.

edit: layering them over each other the main difference is the hd models face is slightly wider. and the lighter skin obviously.

The WWF and WCW wrestling games on the 64. Really fun games, but a complete eyesore. Especially compared to the Smackdown games on PS1.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
latest

I liked Undertale a lot but wow that poor kids sprite was beaten with the ugly stick relentlessly.

Ninten Looks a lot better for using a lot less pixels
ninten.png

I think it's the eyelashes. If you cover them with your hands, he looks more like a boy.

dnKgxA1.png

vs
9Efdyab.png

Nintendo does this shit in some Zelda games with Link or gives him cat eyes but at least his facial features are more manly to compensate (like nose, eyebrows, mouth, chin).

link_lowres.gif

Here's a funny thing, this observation was made by my mom and resulted in me paying more attention to it, and I concur with her observation - men typically have longer, thicker eye lashes than women do once you remove the makeup.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
A lot of the KOFXIV complaining is because it's following up on KOFXIII, which had some of the best looking sprites in any fighting game.

Meanwhile, Injustice was following up on MK9, which had stuff like this.
original.jpg

The standards were much lower for one than the other.
Low standards sure, but a bad artstyle remains a bad artstyle no matter how worse was before.

Are you serious right now? Injustice and MK have gotten nothing but well deserved shit over their awful female models

Kof14 looks bad in comparison to kof13, but NR games look like that. You can put down your kof shield

Yeah...no, injustice had some hate but nothing comparable to kofxiv

Here's the Injustice announcement thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476232

Kofxiv
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1112384

I'm not the one with the shield :p

Top Bottom