• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

Manu

I feel like making them look realistic is the opposite effect for me. They look kind of terrible as it makes the ridiculousness of their costumes and design really clash with the fact they look like mostly real humans.

I call this the Alex Ross Effect.

rossgreatestdisplay.jpeg

The costumes look so realistic that they look totally ridiculous imo. Like bad cosplay.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
True, but Elena got a nose job. That or she's a pod person

KeKk817.png

My only issues with Sully are that his mustache is unkempt and he lost his five-o-clock shadow that used to accentuate his heroic jaw. Other than that, he just looks older. Saggier, more wrinkled. It happens. There are better angles of comparison though.

mao2

It's embarrassing because it looks stupid. Her limbs are grotesque, her proportions are way out of whack. I don't really care about her exaggerated sex appeal, though I dont know whats supposed to be sexually appealing about her.
TmE0GtM.png

This. Her head is small, her torso is huge and her limbs are way too long and thin. It's especially obvious when she's wearing the Nintendo themed outfits.

Sasha from Anarchy Reigns also has this problem, though to a lesser degree.

Durante

After looking through this thread, I really wonder what happened with SO3-5's characters.

That's not an art style disagreement or technical limitations (at least in the later 2 games) or anything like that, it's really just bad modeling.

xealo

Also seconding Cortana (her face just is weird), Young Ciri a little bit too, but my personal vote goes to

1329382986942pok84.jpg

Bioware probably meant to make her the first on-screen female uruk-hai but it was copyrighted.
Imo, bioware should just have kept the femshep face from the first 2 games.

It may look good on concept art, but the in game model is just bad.

karasu

TmE0GtM.png

This. Her head is small, her torso is huge and her limbs are way too long and thin. It's especially obvious when she's wearing the Nintendo themed outfits.

It's called Mannerism.

retroman

Let's pour one out for the 2D characters who were horribly disfigured when they attempted to enter the third dimension.

Simon the Sorcerer

From this:
209575-simon3.png

To this:
41101-simon-the-sorcerer-3d-windows-screenshot-huh.jpg

Gabriel Knight

From this:
gabriel-knight-hd-announced-2.jpg

To this:
10088-gabriel-knight-3-blood-of-the-sacred-blood-of-the-damned-windows.jpg

What's really weird about RE Revelations 2 is that Moira and Natalia obviously had the most work done on their character models and faces, while every other character seemed rushed out the door. I guess it kind of makes sense given they both had debut roles and Capcom wanted to show them off.

Powerpuff

Every single character in Street Fighter 4 and 5. Drives me crazy.

The ridiculous muscles, the bad faces, the animation. It's not Street Fighter to me.

SNK had the right idea with the more realistic designs:

capcomvs-1.jpg

Shinkiro's realistic art style often lands in the uncanny valley to me.

For the Capcom VS SNK series illustrated above, I do prefer the Kinu Nishimura's approach.
(Illustration hidden because too beautiful for this thread)
kinu04.jpg

kiuo

tswmY4I.jpg

Miki from Star Ocean 5

^
Played 20hrs worth until I had to give up. And you would think after 20hrs, I would get used to her but nope, she stil looks fugly and weird as fk even after that long.

Didn't help that the game was terrible in everything ranging from combat to it's poor story.

D.Va

Neo Member
rise_of_the_tomb_raider__lara_confronting_anna_by_gilgameshenkido-d9gpjxn.jpg

Controversial(?) because the graphics were praised to the moon and back, but I hate, hate hate the new Lara model. Christ alive, it's so plain and lacking in character, particularly in game.

When they've nailed it in concept art:

tomb-raider-voice-actress.jpg

Tomb-Raider-Reboot-image-tomb-raider-reboot-36269623-800-449.jpg

She looked great in the original reboot, and then they messed with her face in the definitive version, which was horrible. She looks really boring and eh in Rise, I agree. I don't know why they changed her face from the reboot to the definitive edition.

Edit: The new character models in Uncharted 4 bother me. They looked great in 1-3.

jdstorm

Banned
Is this the thread where it's ok to say that you like the less detailed Lara Croft from tomb raider 2013 more then the one from the remastered edition

V06vuez.jpg

Daethtrap Dungeon
GEEEZUS!

While we're on the subject of missing ribcages:
TWE-whatever has some of the worst designs I've seen. I hated her design.

Jill in Rev2
Yep:

WUT:
92b5ad170aa7c81f6439f686d3efe7291359216209_large.jpg

There are mods to put the original Jill face on though.

True, but Elena got a nose job. That or she's a pod person
That's one thing that always bothered me about Elena, is that she got those asian eyes in U3. The hell?
e1-446x500.jpg

2010145-256px_elena_fisher_render.png

EP79UC5.png

: To everyone who keeps telling me about Ikes "beefier" design. Telling me the origin of his new design doesn't stop it from being terrible. That's the point.

Mr_Zombie

SNK had the right idea with the more realistic designs:

capcomvs-1.jpg

There's something off with characters' proportions, though. Heads, especially on male characters, are too big compared to their torsos. Look at Guile and Ken, the length between the chin and nipples should be about the size of head's height, and yet in their cases it's much shorter.

Kinyou

TmE0GtM.png

Bayonetta is inspired by fashion sketches. I guess not everyone has to like it but I think it creates an interesting look and fits in with the over the top game

TrueBlue

*images*

Such a good game. Well made. Brilliant. Best Smash. It deserves to be at EVO mainstage.

What does having, in your opinion, slightly tetchy models have to do with EVO mainstage? Particularly when Street Fighter IV and V have both dominated that stage over the last few years?

Nothing. It was just a bitter cheap shot.

EDIT: The crowd IS awful though, I'll give you that.

Tyaren

There's something off with characters' proportions, though. Heads, especially on male characters, are too big compared to their torsos. Look at Guile and Ken, the length between the chin and nipples should be about the size of head's height, and yet in their cases it's much shorter.

As someone who tutors figure- and nude drawing in uni, I can tell you the proportions are overall fine. They are actually very realistic. The hair volume might give you the idea that the heads seem a little large or simply the fact that fighting game characters, especially men, are usually portrayed with the idealistic/heroic 9 heads per total height instead of 7 and a 1/2 to 8 heads of normal grown-up human beings. ;) Shinkiro, the artist, was back then known for his almost photo realistic illustrations. He did also work with photographs

RSB

Banned
Lol how can you two bring up Jill, but completely ignore Claire. Now that ones far worse. :0
I know many people didn't like Tobey Maguire's sister starring in Rev2, but it didn't really bother me. Then again, Claire's never been one of my favorite characters or anything, so I've never been especially attached to any version of her.

But yeah, losing Jill's classic character model (Julia Voth) was a real tragedy. I really hope Capcom brings back the real Jill Valentine.

Mr_Zombie

Lol how can you two bring up Jill, but completely ignore Claire. Now that ones far worse. :0

Because Claire simply matured. Last time we saw her in Code: Veronica (DSC) she was 19. In Revelations 2 she's 32. (I'm gonna ignore her Degeneration face, because that one, with those huge lips, looked like a botched up plastic surgery).

Jill, on the other hand, had the same face in both RE3 and RE5 (well, they slightly changed her face in RE5, but not as drastic) and then suddenly in Revelations, that takes place between those two games, she's a completely different person.

As someone who tutors figure- and nude drawing in uni, I can tell you the proportions are overall fine. They are actually very realistic. The hair volume might give you the idea that the heads seem a little large or simply the fact that fighting game characters, especially men, are usually portrayed with the idealistic/heroic 9 heads per total height instead of 7 and a 1/2 to 8 heads of normal grown-up human beings. ;) Shinkiro, the artist, was back then known for his almost photo realistic illustrations. He did also work with photographs

Ok, I stand corrected. Although, in those two cases (Ken and Guile) especially, their heads really do look big.

Ok, I stand corrected. Although, in those two cases (Ken and Guile) especially, their heads really do look big.

I think the other thing that might be throwing you off is that those two characters are superimposed amongst characters who either aren't cut & paste exactly to the same scale, or have heads which appear smaller by comparison due to the perspective shifting from illustration to illustration. The heads are fine in comparison to their own bodies.

We're all too conditioned to exaggerated hulking pea-head characters these days too.

Embarrassing? Maybe for you. Bayonetta is a great design (IMO) - the exaggerated sex appeal is on purpose.

Her bayonetta 2 design is significantly better though, the short hair makes all the difference.

The proportions or Bayonetta are fucked the length of her arms and legs are incredibly unrealistic.

tanooki27

Every characters face in MGS1. They all look like burn victims.
Hated in 1998, hate it now.
Glad Kojima changed his mind about trying to Shinkawas style again for MGS2.
I think with today's machines, you could really do it justice...but on the PS1 its a mess.

it was a way of working around the tech. brilliant stylistic solution if you ask me

Yvette from NBA 2K16's story mode didn't seem to make the digital transition from actress to character model all that well.
eUILO5Z.jpg

actress Anya Engel-Adams
GGDReFJ.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

This thread is basically just one continuous nightmare o_O

Slight digression - but that person actually managed to get the tattoo fixed up by someone with actual talent:

Pretty incredible job, some tattoo artists are freakin' miracle workers.

This actually makes me really happy.
Never knew the story, but it was always clear the guy was trying to honor someone he cared deeply about by getting her image tattooed on his body. A shitty tattoo for the internet to laugh at, based on someone that had passed, always just made me feel sad.
The reworked version looks great. Good for both the guy and the tattoo artist that fixed it.

Wavebossa

Embarrassing? Maybe for you. Bayonetta is a great design (IMO) - the exaggerated sex appeal is on purpose.

Her bayonetta 2 design is significantly better though, the short hair makes all the difference.

I think he's talking about her lengthy, slendermanish porpotions.

Its weird that the most normal looking iteration of bayonetta is in Sm4sh

I think it's the eyelashes. If you cover them with your hands, he looks more like a boy.

http://i.imgur.com/dnKgxA1.png[IMG]
vs
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/9Efdyab.png[IMG]

Nintendo does this shit in some Zelda games with Link or gives him cat eyes but at least his facial features are more manly to compensate (like nose, eyebrows, mouth, chin).

[IMG]http://www.benjones.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/link_lowres.gif

Yeah, it's the mascara/eyeliner look like I said.
Link suits it though, 100%. It's a feature of his design. Twilight Princess was one of the best models, as were OoT3D's and Hyrule Warrior's.

Can't say I've ever been bothered by Link's models in the actual Zelda games. I guess his lips were weird in SS but that's it.

Speaking of SS, I always felt the enemy design was hit or miss. In particular, bosses like Tentalus or Scaldera bothered me in how they were host to very cool ideas for battle settings but the overtly-simple/goofy designs turned me off. I guess that's more the character design than the actual models, though.

What does having, in your opinion, slightly tetchy models have to do with EVO mainstage? Particularly when Street Fighter IV and V have both dominated that stage over the last few years?

Nothing. It was just a bitter cheap shot.

EDIT: The crowd IS awful though, I'll give you that.

That's his shtick.

Man I can't get behind the ZTD mentions. Especially for the budget I think the models themselves look great and do a good job painting initial impressions of each character, the animation just needs some work.

Vaan's character model in FFXII is just bad. It's got this weird flatness to it that they tried to compensate with those godawful looking shadow textures. It wasn't as big an issue with other characters because they at least wore clothes. With Vaan it was hard to tell what was just suppose to be him looking suitably dirty for a kid who lives on the streets and what was compensating for a lack of polygons.

Edit: Forgot to second the mention of Tales character models from Xillia onward. Zestiria and Berseria are getting better with it, especially the latter, since they learned to animate them properly but how they interact with lighting and shaders still looks pretty off at times.

Top Bottom