• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Character models that bug you

Loli's. All of them. Not mature females who just don't have a protruding chest, I don't care, but supposedly aged females(1000 year old seems to be the favorite) stuck in the body of a 7 year old girl. No.

I'm a big opponent to censorship, but if we could raise the age of the standard game protagonist and his/her merry band of friends by about 3-5 years, where it makes sense, I would appreciate it. Teenagers are fine in games like Persona, they are high schoolers, but in many other games, particularly in jrpgs, the protagonists could be in their twenties with no issues.

The one thing I can't stand about JRPGS is when they treat someone who is 29 like a geriatric. The heroes in 90 percent of those games are 16 years old. Cloud is practically ancient at 22. I've been playing Stardew Valley a ton lately and one of the things I appreciate is that youre old enough to drink alcohol. It's really annoying in every JRPGS when you go to a pub and everyone is like "You're too young to be here! Would you like some juice?" Lady, I'm 32 years old, I want a fucking gin and tonic.

Umar96

Neo Member
rise_of_the_tomb_raider__lara_confronting_anna_by_gilgameshenkido-d9gpjxn.jpg

Controversial(?) because the graphics were praised to the moon and back, but I hate, hate hate the new Lara model. Christ alive, it's so plain and lacking in character, particularly in game.

When they've nailed it in concept art:

tomb-raider-voice-actress.jpg

Tomb-Raider-Reboot-image-tomb-raider-reboot-36269623-800-449.jpg

The two images posted aren't concept art for Rise of the Tomb Raider though.

The 2nd image was also used for Tomb Raider Definitive Edition box art which has her face closer to this concept art.

CnhJ2PgXYAArSAR.jpg

CnhKU7cXgAEFa4z.jpg

Excuse the quality since I just quickly uploaded two of my older screenshots to twitter from PS4.

Im not a fan of anime qualities (spiky hair, extreme angles on the face) applied to somewhat realistic looking characters, thats why the characters in dmc4 and bayonetta 1 and 2 always looked off to me

UtjcWaN.jpg

She has no ribcage. She's like a piece of celery with a pair of balloons taped to the front.

fWEywKL.png

Seriously though, these look photoshopped, and they aren't. Her model is awful. She's like a snake or something.

Thank you for finding the images I was too lazy to search for. It looks so awful.

Xenosaga 3's art and character designs are far better than anything else from the Xeno franchise.

XC has some nice 2D art, but the actual models are the second worst in the series, only to Xenosaga 1.

I don't know, Episode III feels like the biggest mixed bag to me. Episode II felt a bit off to be back in the day, but now I think it actually looks a little bit better than III for characters that aren't Shion. Especially Jr.

icyurru.jpg

Wolfe

I have plenty of pet peeves about the character models in World of Warcraft. Both the old ones and the revamped ones. Female blood elves for example are so ghastly thin that it really put me off from playing one. Male dwarves had this really terrible clipping issue with capes which would make almost half of the entire cape disappear during certain combat animations.

And with the model revamps, they did something to the male draenei idle stance to make them look more hunched over which really bothers me.

Hell I haven't played the game in years now but it still annoys me that their solution to male UD with the slack jaw sticking through certain helmets was to make all helmets stick our further to accommodate for that extra space the slack jaws take up.

Which was great for my non slack jawed character, made all his full face helmets/masks look fucking stupid as they now stick out much further than previously. I was wearing the T2 set helm at the time and the difference was impossible not to notice for me.

Just felt like such a lazy fucking fix, instead of making it so that certain helms completely remove the jaw (like how it works with hair!) they just make the helmets larger in the face to cover it up...

ActWan

http://img04.deviantart.net/f658/i/2015/318/3/e/rise_of_the_tomb_raider__lara_confronting_anna_by_gilgameshenkido-d9gpjxn.jpg[IM]

Controversial(?) because the graphics were praised to the moon and back, but I hate, hate [I]hate[/I] the new Lara model. Christ alive, it's so plain and lacking in character, particularly in game.

When they've nailed it in concept art:

[IMG]https://loopyrants.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/tomb-raider-voice-actress.jpg[/I]

[IMG]http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36200000/Tomb-Raider-Reboot-image-tomb-raider-reboot-36269623-800-449.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]
I'll go with the Lara model too. So plastic and weird...on Rise especially.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's just Inomata's style. All of his characters look like that.

111187.jpg
7646.jpg
latest
latest

Rich!

Bayonetta: the thread

KIdvmNq.jpg

Embarrassing garbage.

Embarrassing? Maybe for you. Bayonetta is a great design (IMO) - the exaggerated sex appeal is on purpose.

Her bayonetta 2 design is significantly better though, the short hair makes all the difference.

MAtgS

While we're on the subject of missing ribcages:
gFbH4OL.png

vAe20Ze.png

All of TWEWY cast are dangerously anorexic, but
Eri/
Shiki takes it way too far. I could wrap one hand around that torso. & also those hip bones are so pointy I don't know why they aren't puncturing the skin.

At least it's not
her real body, except in the AU where it is...

raven777

While we're on the subject of missing ribcages:
gFbH4OL.png

vAe20Ze.png

All of TWEWY cast are dangerously anorexic, but
Eri/
Shiki takes it way too far. I could wrap one hand around that torso. & also those hip bones are so pointy I don't know why they aren't puncturing the skin.

At least it's not
her real body, except in the AU where it is...

It kinda works in the game with art and sprites since it kinda fits in with the art style. But the 3D model really stands out imo...

onken

Embarrassing? Maybe for you. Bayonetta is a great design (IMO) - the exaggerated sex appeal is on purpose.

Her bayonetta 2 design is significantly better though, the short hair makes all the difference.

Barf. Though I agree B2 design was quite a bit better.

Rich!

So it's accidental in other games? Cool.

Not sure what you're trying to imply. I'm talking about bayonetta's design - her ridiculously overexaggerated proportions are done on purpose.

And sex appeal is fine, I don't know why so many people online are scared of it.

Ricitor

From FFX-2. Everytime I burst out laughing because I forget just how bad it is.

hqdefault.jpg

I don't mind them using the uglier models in the game, I completely understand it helps the budget. Yet why they decided to zoom in this moment, I will always question. It is so ugly in a game that still looks decent, even on the PS2.

Oh and also.
FFX HD Remaster Tidus's face.
I have no idea what the fuck they did. I was worried from the first screenshot of the PS3 version and man was it even worse.

Yuna was also bad, but Tidus got it rough. Was the worst part about the Remaster.

laxu

790455-injustice-gods-among-us-ultimate-edition-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

This should be illegal.

Bwahahaha! I didn't know it was seriously that bad. I have only played Injustice a little bit but noticed the same block shoulder people you see in the Mortal Kombat games but this really takes the cake. Proportions of pretty much every body part are terrible and I have no idea what they were going for with the rather manly face.

18280019534_ba4ac90e1a_b.jpg

Zelda character designs have been almost intolerable to me since OoT. Granted on the N64 some of their hideous human models could be attributed to the limitations of the system, but then they went and apparently decided that the "style" of 3D Zeldas was to populate them with horribly proportioned, occasionally repulsive, alcoholic subhumans.

character_collage___wind_waker_by_indiliel-d4srs3c.jpg

Twilight Princess tried to right the ship somewhat, but you still had someone sign off on these design, among others.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722111237006_640w.jpg

00490.jpg

Then Skyward Sword backslid from what modicum of normalcy we got with TP.

i_31014.jpg

I fucking hate Zelda NPCs from the past 15 years.

Pretty much this! Hate the art direction of every LoZ game from OoT and onward. Don't have no nostalgia attached to them either, considering I hopped to the PS1 and didn't get into N64 until much later. While Breath of the Wild DOES interest me, it's more because of the gameplay and the unique visual style(even though I still think it will have some godawful looking NPCs). Yeah, I'm one of those guys that much more prefers the art style see in in the original manuals and artworks for LoZ-ALttP over everything OoT and on.

Garlador

Pretty much this! Hate the art direction of every LoZ game from OoT and onward. Don't have no nostalgia attached to them either, considering I hopped to the PS1 and didn't get into N64 until much later. While Breath of the Wild DOES interest me, it's more because of the gameplay and the unique visual style(even though I still think it will have some godawful looking NPCs). Yeah, I'm one of those guys that much more prefers the art style see in in the original manuals and artworks for LoZ-ALttP over everything OoT and on.

I still love the Zelda games, but I have been very disappointed at how awesome the concept artwork is and then the reality of the game's artwork by comparison.

Expectation:

Reality:

790455-injustice-gods-among-us-ultimate-edition-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg

This should be illegal.
I'm glad someone found a good example pic. I was google-ing the other day trying to find an example of NRS' terrible model work. Thier characters look fine in artwork, I think, but I have no idea what happens when they try to model and animate them.

DrArchon

Netherrealm's female character modeling in general is really bad. It's really been bad in MK since it moved to 3D in MK4.

To NRS's credit, they really improved in this regard with MKX. The women in MKX look so much better than any of them in MK9 or Injustice 1, so they're clearly working on it and improving.

Speaking of fighting game women though...

Holy hell Orchid looks awful in her classic outfit.

Takuan

Bullet from Guilty Gear. When they revealed her art, I was all "fuck yes", and then they gave her character model that pose.

Controversial(?) because the graphics were praised to the moon and back, but I hate, hate hate the new Lara model. Christ alive, it's so plain and lacking in character, particularly in game.
It's because they modeled her off her (new?) voice actress, Camilla Luddington. The likeness is there, but I also prefer the original reveal look and don't feel they ever really captured that in the first game.

Those are sprites.
They absolutely are, and they're stupid.

To NRS's credit, they really improved in this regard with MKX. The women in MKX look so much better than any of them in MK9 or Injustice 1, so they're clearly working on it and improving.

Speaking of fighting game women though...

Holy hell Orchid looks awful in her classic outfit.
The Orchid model work looks pretty good though.

Jezan

There's something off about Link's face in SSB4 Wii U, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe his hair is too big and his neck is too short? Either way, it's a real shame, as Link is better than he's been in a while.

I think it's the skin color, and the almost white eyebrows, looks like Michael Jackson. Everyone looks pretty in that game but Link is the only ugly one.

And Ganondorf's animation when running is silly as fuck, also he looks too bulky and not tall enough.

Top Bottom