• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charles Randall on why game developers aren't more candid with public

Ladekabel

Whenever toxicity comes up about "gamers" I wonder how much fault lies with the publishers of this industries. Did any publisher condemn the actions of Gamergate? How long did Nintendo think about firing that woman that was bullied by Gamergaters because she was responsible for the missing boob slider in XCX according to them? To me it always feels like these people feel enabled by the lack of response from bigger publishers. I might be totally wrong though.

On the other hand there can be no culture of sharing production developed if no one is starting it. I know it must be hard to do this if there are a fair bunch of shitheads online harassing, insulting and knowing it better. Maybe this could be changed but there will always be idiots.

It's a shame that we rarely get insights because some assholes ruin the fun for everyone.

DunpealD

That's a big loss for everybody. I love to hear devs talk about their development experiences and adventures.

A developer passed this note on to me, and asked to be anonymous for obvious reasons:

Jesus, that's messed up. How is that even a thing?

I...what...

You are overthinking this way too much

Like are you completely serious that you actually justify game-related stuff like this to yourself? I find it hard to fathom that kind of mindset. Do you do the same with movies?

I kind of understand what he means.
Like children who have limited funds and have to stick to one console. At some point they try to to convince themselves, that what they don't have is pure garbage, just to make them feel they did the right decision when choosing the platform.

I also see that mentality when it comes to fighting games. It's not enough for their own game to be successful, others need to fail. Especially the top dog hogging the spotlight.
With Capcoms failing on SFV it has become even more apparent than ever before.
Not even mentioning other franchises, it even happens within the franchise itself. The latter happens probably, because of the big changes between new iterations. This might also fit other franchises like Final Fantasy.

In terms of movies. It's a difficult comparison, because a) they are less expensive and b) you spend less time on them.
Games, especially multiplayer games, are more like playgrounds.

sn00zer

Of you want to understand how little onli e communities know about an industry they arent directly involved with, look up any comment section or thread on an article about an industry you are apart of. Seriously people dont known shit and arent willing to put in the effort to actually learn about an industry via industry talks/seminars. Easiest example os gaf doesnt talk at all about gamasutra or GDC talks, only whatever dumb little new blurbs that a developers spends 3 seconds to mention in a 1 hour talk.

EGM1966

While pretty much every medium can be toxic - from literature to music to film and art - I do find the gaming medium to be particularly virulent, or at least to utilize internet and social channels far more readily and far more aggresively that with most other mediums.

Not sure why but there does seem to be less interest in the "why" behind games creation. For all the toxic reactions other mediums can generate there's a decent interest in music production, film production, artistic technique, etc. that seems to balance it out better.

While there's clearly a similar demographic in gaming it feels - may just be perception vs reality of course - that it's smaller in ratio and often gets drowned out by hyperbolic overreaction and ranting.

While say with films "piling on" to a creative team feels fairly rare - BvS feels like a recent (and even arguably somewhat warranted) example - in gaming it feels like it happens much more regularly.

Shame as I love the production process for games as I do with film and while - thankfully - there is a fair amount of info available if you go looking it does feel it's a little more curated in terms of how its released and through what channels. GAF thankfully often points the way to good presentations and intel releases from developers at least IMO anyway.

Budi

By the way, this criticism extends far beyond developers and towards other gamers. It's the main reason I stopped frequenting these forums. You're struggling to beat a boss in Dark Souls? GIT GUD NOOB. Trying to explain why you prefer Heroes of the Storm to Dota 2? HotS is a no-skill game LOL enjoy playing with grandmas and children *dota2emoji* It's just non-stop insult after insult by immature people who think they're superior for preferring one game over another.
I'm absolutely not denying that there's plenty of elitism around the games you mentioned. But I've also seen people taking offense when someone describes games like Hots and Overwatch "casual". Being more casual game or even let's say "noob friendly" isn't inherently a bad thing. Hots is definitely deliberately designed to be less complex, more forgiving, less about invidual skill than Dota 2. And these are all valid reasons to prefer Hots over Dota 2. It's not always someone trying to disparage you, unless it's done in a way you phrased ofc. There should be no stigma in preferring the more relaxed variation of the game over the "hardcore" one. This is one aspect where gaming community needs to grow up. Just like people here were arguing against easier difficulty setting to the next Ori game, luckily the devs were already working on it.

Edit: I think this thread is related to the discussion too, Rime Creative Director: "Reading Neogaf made me cry for two days".

OceanBlue

Both Unity and Unreal are available to the public and have plenty of documentation to get you started.
I was looking around to see if I can find a more newbie-friendly thing but it's hard to find stuff that avoids jargon.

This was an article I found interesting: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Mar...th_Unity_in_creating_an_arcade_style_game.php

It's true that the guy had a lot of complaints about Unity, and to be honest despite not being very experienced with game dev I can sympathize with his complaints about the inability to customize things in Unity (a friend of mine was complaining about Unity shaders at some point). That said, he said he would still use Unity because the time it takes to get something out to production was really important to him. He would be willing to tradeoff these pains or quirks later in the process for ease of development earlier. Thinking about the tradeoffs people are making helps me try to understand why people make decisions, even if it's just something like familiarity.

In the end, to me it's about finding articles like this and learning about people's friction points with engines versus what they like. I've seen a lot of articles of indie devs talk about unity's simplicity and how the asset store is better.

Cheerilee

Jim Sterling
and most of GAF
in a nutshell. Creating a culture of constant negativity, criticism, harassment and abuse is ruining gaming more than any questionable business practices or shitty Steam devs ever could.

I wonder how much of gaming's toxicity owes itself to "games journalism", which got it start in corporate propaganda (Nintendo Power), before evolving into fanboy-reporters sucking the corporate teat for their daily livelihood, while hoping for an all-too-frequent promotion into becoming an employee for the people they just flatteringly reported on. With reporters who step out of line, like Jim Sterling, being blacklisted by companies like Konami or sued by Digital Homicide, or Jeff Gerstmann being fired from a major games journalism site because his literal bought-by-the-publisher positive review didn't sound positive enough coming out of Gerstmann's lips.

Which isn't to say that constant negativity is right, but the relationship between developers and fans has never been normal.

Deeke[VRZ];249949779 said:
Reminds me of today's Eurogamer interview with Monolith; essentially the Shadow of War design director wants more feedback on new features but loot boxes steal the conversation at every turn.

It's sad tbh. Imagine how open the industry would be if things were different. Imagine how many games would exist and how much competition there'd be, and how confident devs would be in their games and creations.

There's a difference between talking about why design decisions are made and inserting a pretty universally hated "hook" designed to milk the consumer. Especially when you have companies who have changed gameplay loops to incentivize paying money to get the game to actually function properly, such as candy crush, where you can't even finish some levels until you pay money. If WB removed loot boxes then people would actually talk about the gameplay and gameplay systems rather than what gameplay and gameplay systems the loot boxes are effecting.

Rayis

A lot of gamers are entitled children, plus add the toxicity, racism, misogyny and homophobia also present and you get the present gaming community. GAF does do a good job of moderating a lot of that though which is why is the only gaming place I can stand posting in.

luulubuu

I think the problem is gamers get totally screwed over by publisher intentions to maximise profits that people don’t understand the difference with what developers want and want publishers want.

It’s lead to this toxic environment we have now.

I don’t think any other medium gets so screwed over by every decision.

Only decent people seem to be CD Projekt with Witcher 3.

There’s also the practice that they like to deserve target renders for reveals, how about you stop that? Then we won’t have to do the whole downgrades come release and people won’t poke fun at the fact.

There’s a lot of sins that has lead to us this point.
You need to calm the fuck down and seek help

The ghosts I called, I can't get rid of now.

The AAA industry has for over a decade cultivated a fanatical and one track minded fanbase, pampered them and fired them up constantly... Putting fans on pedestals, delineating fandoms and creating the hardcore gamer lifestyle as opposed to the filthy casuals...

Forgive me if I won't shed a tear now that they reap the fruits of all that labour.
They poisoned the well themselves and now complain about toxic responses... go figure.

I dunno, isn't like 99% of this due to the fact that game developers don't tell the general gaming public how hard this stuff is? If no one ever spreads the information about how costly it is to implement multiplayer or switch engines, why would you expect the average joe to realize how damn hard/expensive it is?

There was an article about this a few years ago actually (Eurogamer?). Dumbing down technical jargon makes the audience think that implementing new features is a minor thing. Explaining why your new lighting system, AI routines, or multiplayer modes run the way they do goes a long way to dispelling the "lazy dev" shitpost.

MoonFrog

Note that in this medium at the worst of times there are entire communities dedicated to harassing developers, like KiA and gamergate, and the things that are considered benign are the complete overreactions for some of the most ridiculous things to overreact about, for instance, the recent cuphead debacle for instance, or that story someone posted awhile back about a woman getting harassed for the crime of working as an artist on a video game. I genuinely can't think of any community that reacts to things like the gaming community.

Yeah. I step into the GAF threads on this stuff, but don't tend to be in the places it happens.

The worst I tend to see is console wars, mostly pro- and anti-Nintendo stuff because of where I haunt. And that's incredibly tame and localized compared to what you describe. It also has a non-human target.

It makes me glad that I never got sucked into the internet growing up and even still have no social media. It also disturbs me.

It also ruffles my feathers because it brings, without necessarily meaning to, support to "sit down, shut up, and consume mindlessly," which is a strain of thought here as well as hyperbolic, toxic negativity, by problematizing negative critique. It makes me want to point out that consumers should be thinking about what they consume.

'Critique is fine' as in it is permissible is not how I'd put it. I think critique, as in full on critique, not necessarily just a list of complaints, should be encouraged. I think it is a good thing. I think effort should be expended towards it.

I also think enlightened discourse is the best way to make gaming "grow up."

I get that I'm focused on hoping for better discourse from a safe place where I don't experience how bad it is let alone be a victim myself. But I still think that's where our end-game should be--good discussion.

El Sloth

Banned
Remember the shit show when the Skullgirls dev talked about how much it costs to make a character?

It started off REALLY bad. Just assumptions and declarations of fact with no basis out the wazoo. However... it eventually turned into something really good and educational by the end. Thanks in no small part to one of the devs themselves going everywhere to challenge people on what they were saying and dropping firsthand knowledge of how things are like. One of the most informative and eye opening things I've seen on here actually.

That said, that's a pretty unreasonable thing to ask of most people especially after an initial reaction like the one the Skullgirls character info ignited.

Until something changes about the culture and norms that engender that sort of reaction, I can't see why most devs would look at the above situation and go, "that seems like a fun thing, let's give it a whirl."

The AAA industry has for over a decade cultivated a fanatical and one track minded fanbase, pampered them and fired them up constantly... Putting fans on pedestals, delineating fandoms and creating the hardcore gamer lifestyle as opposed to the filthy casuals...

Forgive me if I won't shed a tear now that they reap the fruits of all that labour.
They poisoned the well themselves and now complain about toxic responses... go figure.
Game developers are more than the “AAA industry” or publishers

rackham

Banned
Gamers piss me off. I hate that term. I refuse to be apart of it and it's my biggest hobby. Overwatch community is an example of a shitty community.

And honestly BLIZZARD is partly to blame. There was a post from Jeff Kaplan about how some guy had over 2000 reports (when Jeff tried shitting on the guy about something related) that only ended up showing that you could be reported over 2000 times with no real ramifications (perma ban). Like, why? Is it because of money?
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758687468?page=4#post-72

yeah real funny Jeff. Not all gamers. Not all devs. etc. etc.

thumb

Banned
Remember the shit show when the Skullgirls dev talked about how much it costs to make a character?

It started off REALLY bad. Just assumptions and declarations of fact with no basis out the wazoo. However... it eventually turned into something really good and educational by the end. Thanks in no small part to one of the devs themselves going everywhere to challenge people on what they were saying and dropping firsthand knowledge of how things are like. One of the most informative and eye opening things I've seen on here actually.

That said, that's a pretty unreasonable thing to ask of most people especially after an initial reaction like the one the Skullgirls character info ignited.

Until something changes about the culture and norms that engender that sort of reaction, I can't see why most devs would look at the above situation and go, "that seems like a fun thing, let's give it a whirl."

I remember that thread as well. I think that one piece of the puzzle does involve educating the fan base, and I think the people on the front lines should be delivering that education: the community managers. They should be empowered by devs to go into their respective communities and lay down some hard science about how things are actually made. Even if they have to interview devs to deliver it. Basically, getting your community to understand what goes into making a game is part of managing expectations.

Budi

Not sure that I follow, for a long time I've heard complaints of AAA games being "dumbed down" and "pandering to the casuals". And this really contradicts what you are saying. Also look at the reactions from "core gamers" during E3 when pubs dedicate time to sports and party/casual games.

El Sloth

Banned
I remember that thread as well. I think that one piece of the puzzle does involve educating the fan base, and I think the people on the front lines should be delivering that education: the community managers. They should be empowered by devs to go into their respective communities and lay down some hard science about how things are actually made. Even if they have to interview devs to deliver it. Basically, getting your community to understand what goes into making a game is part of managing expectations.
I'm totally with you. It's definitely not going to be easy as that though. I feel the past year and a half should be proof enough that occasionally even hard facts aren't enough for some folks. What's more, this might be especially tough for any company that's seemingly tied up with old school Japanese cultural business norms, like Capcom USA + Capcom Japan.

Then you have to consider that something like that would only add on to the total development cost and some companies might not see quick enough return to justify this extra openness (not including potential harassment of employees because of the new policy).

Game developers are more than the ”AAA industry" or publishers

I realize that, and I wanted to add to my statement and clarify:

Even if my observation is true, and without any extensive data it remains that, an observation; even if true, it wasn't intended to excuse the toxicity that permeates gaming fandoms. It's absolutely despiccable how some deranged morons act like petulant entitled little shits.

I also don't fault any developer for not wanting to interact with these fanatics, and don't get me started on GG and the rest of that filth. It royally sucks that devs have to deal with this behaviour, but it doesn't come from nowhere and just pointing at fans while washing their hands in innocence is hypocritical at best. Because again it's only hurting those most vulnerable in the first place.

Not sure that I follow, for a long time I've heard complaints of AAA games being "dumbed down" and "pandering to the casuals". And this really contradicts what you are saying. Also look at the reactions from "core gamers" during E3 when pubs dedicate time to sports and party/casual games.

Look at how gaming was marketed: Hardcore vs casuals. If you own a Wii, you're a filthy casual, real gamers get that Dorito flavoured Xbox 360, and for the players... now that's the true gamers.

It's marketing talk, calculated and insidious. While targeting mass market appeal, they tell their audience that they are special snowflakes with superior taste.

Just look at all the Sony shills coming to defend poor Sony for not being part of the Minecraft cross play update. That's what you get. People actively working against their interest to cheerlead for a fucking company that fed them some condescending bullshit about protecting their playerbase.

Walled gardens are what got us into this mess. Susceptible fans starting to believe the constant Mt Dew drip feed of being better because they like a product or line of products.

Budi

Look at how gaming was marketed: Hardcore vs casuals. If you own a Wii, you're a filthy casual, real gamers get that Dorito flavoured Xbox 360, and for the players... now that's the true gamers.

It's marketing talk, calculated and insidious. While targeting mass market appeal, they tell their audience that they are special snowflakes with superior taste.
I really haven't seen this from the pubs and devs. Can you give me concrete examples? I've seen this from the consumers for sure, not denying that. I actually adressed this in my earlier post where I said that this is one aspect where gamers need to grow up.
Honestly the response that luulubuu replied to wasn't even bad..wtf? talk about toxicity.
Eh, I love CDPR too but this "Only decent people seem to be CD Projekt with Witcher 3." is awful and hyperbolic thing to say. And exactly something we shouldn't be saying.

RedSwirl

What still sticks out for me is EA repeatedly winning "worst company in America." EA "beat" banks that people blamed for the financial collapse just for making some possibly mediocre video games.

Deeke[VRZ];249949779 said:
Reminds me of today's Eurogamer interview with Monolith; essentially the Shadow of War design director wants more feedback on new features but loot boxes steal the conversation at every turn.

It's sad tbh. Imagine how open the industry would be if things were different. Imagine how many games would exist and how much competition there'd be, and how confident devs would be in their games and creations.

It sucks that he can't get the feedback he needs because of the publisher's bullshit but should anyone really be able to expect it to not dominate the conversation when we're talking about the biggest push for microtransactions in a full priced single player game ever?

rackham

Banned
I really haven't seen this from the pubs and devs. Can you give me concrete examples? I've seen this from the consumers for sure, not denying that. I actually adressed this in my earlier post where I said that this is one aspect where gamers need to grow up.
Eh, I love CDPR too but this "Only decent people seem to be CD Projekt with Witcher 3." is awful and hyperbolic thing to say. And exactly something we shouldn't be saying. If he really thinks that every other dev/pub isn't a decent human being they really should get help, since it's paranoia to think that everyone else is here to exploit them. If they didn't mean it, they shouldn't say it.

CDPR is a great company and that's Daffy's opinion. It's hyperbolic but being told to "calm the fuck down and seek help" is just as disingenuous.

I realize that, and I wanted to add to my statement and clarify:

Even if my observation is true, and without any extensive data it remains that, an observation; even if true, it wasn't intended to excuse the toxicity that permeates gaming fandoms. It's absolutely despiccable how some deranged morons act like petulant entitled little shits.

I also don't fault any developer for not wanting to interact with these fanatics, and don't get me started on GG and the rest of that filth. It royally sucks that devs have to deal with this behaviour, but it doesn't come from nowhere and just pointing at fans while washing their hands in innocence is hypocritical at best. Because again it's only hurting those most vulnerable in the first place.
You're right. It doesn't come from nowhere.

It comes from whiny cunts on message boards who, instead of just letting a game, developer or publisher die by making sure they are associated with dirty deeds and thus lose money, they attack individuals, females, track down addresses, etc of developers busting their ass to put food on the table for families they barely see because the AAA industry sucks.

Instead of making sure that the face of the problem is the company pulling the strings, the cogs in that wheel who often are just following their workload for a paycheck are attacked, not the company. They find individuals who have literally had nothing to do with what their grievance might be - just to attack something because that's groupthink, that usually will trigger a reaction they can pile on. Attack a the symbol of a company? You're met with dead air or shitty PR. Attack an individual and now you're drawing blood. That sweet, red, thick velvet fluid shitbags can't seem to get enough of. NOW you're fucking up someone's life, forcing them into hiding, forcing them to quit, because goddammit - SOMEONE has to pay and you can't make the company bleed as easily as you can one person caught by circumstance.

So, yeah. It starts somewhere alright. Theres a way to deal with shitty companies. Finding and attacking individuals who may or may not play any part in your grievance isn't one of them.

KageMaru

I'm happy Charles said something as the problem exists just about everywhere. I wouldn't say GAF is toxic, but there have been threads or conversations where people show a willful ignorance towards game development. Sometimes it seems like people only want to know what can be used for ammunition to support or bash something. I know some publisher practices and higher cost of some games don't help, but the gaming community as a whole needs to learn that developers are not the enemy.

Hopefully this opens some eyes to what developers sometimes have to deal with.

Syril

The author of a webcomic I read answers anonymous hate messages on his personal blog occasionally, and it's crazy shit like:
lmao watching you lie about viewer count and patreon money is hilarious. Keep justifying your laziness you fucking fraud.

Ansatz

"next time you don't like a game, maybe consider just... moving on?"

"dwelling on something you don't like isn't healthy. spend your time on what matters instead"

Are you saying that I shouldn't bother with video games then, isn't that equivalent to giving up? You criticise a person you love because you know they can be a better person than they are. The moment you stop doing that is when you don't care about them anymore, and that's a much worse state, no?

I don't know what exactly he's refering to with toxicity but blizzard and the like deserve to be called out for how shit their games have turned out lately. Who in their right mind thinks the legendary drop system in Legion is acceptable? How on earth can you even begin to defend the amount of time and/or money you need to spend on Hearthstone before you can get a competitive deck? Sorry but this is horseshit. Move on.. to what? I love those games, all they need is a tiny tweak that's extremely easy to implement. It's a matter of adjusting parameters such that they reduce profit and increase enjoyment. That's it.

El Sloth

Banned
The author of a webcomic I read answers anonymous hate messages on his personal blog occasionally, and it's crazy shit like:
The classic. I don't think I'll ever understand what motivates people to be so shitty to someone else they've never met.

Budi

CDPR is a great company and that's Daffy's opinion. It's hyperbolic but being told to "calm the fuck down and seek help" is just as disingenuous.
Sure, the bad thing wasn't praising CDPR. The bad thing was bringing everyone else down on the expense. "Only CDPR are decent people" isn't just talking about CDPR, but condemning everyone else to be something less than decent people.

And CDPR had their own "downgrade" debacle too, that seemed to be one of the things making devs/pubs less than decent to Daffy.

KageMaru

You're right. It doesn't come from nowhere.

It comes from whiny cunts on message boards who, instead of just letting a game, developer or publisher die by making sure they are associated with dirty deeds and thus lose money, they attack individuals, females, track down addresses, etc of developers busting their ass to put food on the table for families they barely see because the AAA industry sucks.

Instead of making sure that the face of the problem is the company pulling the strings, the cogs in that wheel who often are just following their workload for a paycheck are attacked, not the company. They find individuals who have literally had nothing to do with what their grievance might be - just to attack something because that's groupthink, that usually will trigger a reaction they can pile on. Attack a the symbol of a company? You're met with dead air or shitty PR. Attack an individual and now you're drawing blood. That sweet, red, thick velvet fluid shitbags can't seem to get enough of. NOW you're fucking up someone's life, forcing them into hiding, forcing them to quit, because goddammit - SOMEONE has to pay and you can't make the company bleed as easily as you can one person caught by circumstance.

So, yeah. It starts somewhere alright. Theres a way to deal with shitty companies. Finding and attacking individuals who may or may not play any part in your grievance isn't one of them.

This right here.

"next time you don't like a game, maybe consider just... moving on?"

"dwelling on something you don't like isn't healthy. spend your time on what matters instead"

Are you saying that I shouldn't bother with video games then, isn't that equivalent to giving up? You criticise a person you love because you know they can be a better person than they are. The moment you stop doing that is when you don't care about them anymore, and that's a much worse state, no?

I don't know what exactly he's refering to with toxicity but blizzard and the like deserve to be called out for how shit their games have turned out lately. Who in their right mind thinks the legendary drop system in Legion is acceptable? How on earth can you even begin to defend the amount of time and/or money you need to spend on Hearthstone before you can get a competitive deck? Sorry but this is horseshit. Move on.. to what? I love those games, all they need is a tiny tweak that's extremely easy to implement. It's a matter of adjusting parameters such that they reduce profit and increase enjoyment. That's it.

I'm not sure it really is that easy. Not that I'm advocating anti-consumer practices but in the end we do have to keep in mind these are businesses. I would hope that any changes that negatively effect profits wouldn't lead to layoffs.

The point is more about how vicious gamers can be to individuals who open up about their careers or place of employment. Raising concerns about nickel and diming is one thing, several ding death threats over a delayed game is an entirely different matter.

Van Bur3n

I'm no doubt guilty of this as well, but most of my criticism is taken out on the publishers because of terrible business practices more so than the developers.

In the end, most of us are just arm chair game designers who like to think we know the ends and outs of designing a good game and what should be the exact solutions to the problems for which developers face just because we play them when it reality we know fuck all.

Nevertheless, there are games out there that are bad. So poorly developed that you don't need to be a developer to know it. You just play it and know it's just not fun or clearly poorly made. Those are the times for which I see hard criticism is necessary, as it can be rather insulting to waste money on such a bad product.

There is also, as I mentioned earlier, the terrible business practices of this industry that do put people in a nasty attitude when they have to deal with them, and as a result they have less respect for those behind the games. Which should be the publishers, but a lot of the time people can't differentiate publisher from developer.

Overall, I think Randall is right to a degree, but the conniptions consumers can have are not entirely unjustified, and it has only evolved into the toxic behavior that is so prevalent among consumers, as unfortunate as that is.

Budi

Isn't Legion really well received by the fans and they are having their highest player numbers in a long time? I haven't bought Legion, so what is wrong with the legendary drops? You don't like how common those have become? Not really a fan of that change myself either tbh. But I don't see how that negates everything else the game does well, making it "shit". And aren't people in HS constantly playing to Legend rank in few days on f2p decks?

Great insight and I never realized that more than reading the thread about vitriol from GAF making a developer cry, and an actual common response was 'deal with it'.

Laiza

Of you want to understand how little onli e communities know about an industry they arent directly involved with, look up any comment section or thread on an article about an industry you are apart of. Seriously people dont known shit and arent willing to put in the effort to actually learn about an industry via industry talks/seminars. Easiest example os gaf doesnt talk at all about gamasutra or GDC talks, only whatever dumb little new blurbs that a developers spends 3 seconds to mention in a 1 hour talk.
Yeah, we have all this material from Gamasutra, Siggraph, GDC, etc., and yet the discussion threads for those never go on for very long purely because the majority of consumers actually don't give enough shits to educate themselves.

We have the means for people to educate themselves on how modern game dev works, but people would rather lazily and blindly spew hate rather than put in the work to actually have anything resembling a strong foundation for productive discussion. Dunning-Kruger effect in full swing here. Ultimately, I feel like a significant part of this is just runoff from an overall toxic culture that rewards anti-intellectual laziness as opposed to solid effort. Too many people actually outright revel in their ignorance to a degree that is stultifying.

I don't know how to fix this, but it needs fixing. If only publishers would push back more against this kind of bullshit somehow...

Ansatz

Isn't Legion really well received by the fans and they are having their highest player numbers in a long time? I haven't bought Legion, so what is wrong with the legendary drops? You don't like how common those have become? And aren't people in HS constantly playing to Legend rank in few days on f2p decks?

The legendary drops are completely random and have a huge impact on your performance level. The droprate is low, but that's offset by the "luck protection" system which means the chance of getting a drop from increases every time you don't receive one.

If you exhaust the game's content every weekly reset you get about 1 legendary drop per two weeks in my experience, which only applies to 1 spec on 1 class. So if you want to maximize just 1 spec on your main you need essentially all of them because many of them are useful depending on the circumstances. They also want you to go back to previous raids and spend hours clearing them on each difficulty every single week to get legendaries, which is boring and a huge waste of time as you can imagine.

Then there's the titanforge system on regular gear. Any gear you get in Legion has a chance to proc higher item level, so the way competitive PvE works nowadays is that besides maximizing your main you need to have multiple alts for so called split runs in order to farm titanforges for your guild's mains. I wouldn't call this an ejoybable experience, although granted most people play the game casually as a kind of glorified chat program so they aren't really affected by these things. The game is extremely time consuming and players in top guilds say they have to literally grind 24/7 as to not fall behind.

Regarding Hearthstone, idk I just remember coasting to rank 20 and having a blast until I hit a roadblock (some guy used legendary card after legendary card even though I had control all game, and I eventually lost). It's supposedly a bottleneck because everybody deranks to 20 at the end of the month or something like that. Yeah you can win games but that's mostly because of the RNG factors and the asymmetric daily quest system, the latter meaning that to get your daily coins you need to say "play 30 warrior class cards" while you get "win 3 games as a paladin" and if you main paladin then you're gonna have an easier time against people who're playing a class they're less familiar with in that day aka higher chance of winning. It's stuff like that which bothers me.

UberLevi

Yep, when the general public participates in misconduct they quit getting a seat at the table. People want to be quick to judge and harsh with words then wonder why they're not being let in on the conversation, usually resulting in a further display of poor behavior.

In response to your points

1) fair enough. I don't care much about super hero films so I don't follow them much

2) DmC in its original form received critical acclaim. Yeah the DE fixed a bunch of stuff, but there's no way the original game could have been worth the anger. And I'm not saying long times series fans couldn't have been critical about it or disliked it, I'm talking about the anger directed at Ninja Theory.

One of the things that hasn't been brought up enough is, to borrow Jim Sterling's pronunciation, con-TROV-ersy.

Side A has within its ranks people who would have no qualms about setting off on an internet vendetta against ANYTHING Ninja Theory or Capcpom for the BETRAYALTON that was DmC. None.

Side B has within its ranks people who would have no qualms about setting off on an internet Helm's Deep to defend Ninja Theory or Capcpom against ANYTHING for the ONSLAUGHT against their fair Devil may Cry reboot.

Here's the thing: how did this go from a very shaky business move hooking NT up with Character Action darling DMC that had some success but a host of problems to "MY ONE LIFE I GIVE FOR THEE, DmC!!!" or "FROM HELL'S HEART, I STAB AT THEE, CAPCPOM!!!", and how are we still hashing on this five years later?

Con-TROV-ersy. That din from those two crowds constantly sneak attacking and launching diatribes against each others' extreme faction led to a warped understanding of what happened, how did it happen, what would come of it, the development, actual strengths and weaknesses, what happens when a base isn't tendered to, what didn't attract enough of a new base, etc.

We need less NERDRAGE and more tasteful, understated nerdrage to control the remembered narrative.

Poking my head into that thread probably gave me the deepest douche-chills of that year. Oy vey.

It doesn't contradict it, it's another facet of fallow markets of Gen 7. Now, how long did it take to satisfy them? How many were shit-flinging nerdragers, and how many were just quietly bitter after saying their peace? How many were cocky Haves flinging shit back at those nerdragers, from the safety of numbers and attention from industry trends? Just who are these factions? How many? How numerous?

There is a ton of nuance here that Us vs Them cannot encapsulate, and like KS reinvigorating Grognard-Ass Grognard Games, the solutions seem oddly obvious in retrospect even though the problem remains shrouded by itself.

Budi

huge waste of time as you can imagine.
Yeah I definitely can, which is why I don't play anymore =P The game has always been about grind in my eyes, I just realized it very late after spending hundreds of days in-game time. But I do feel that they have been doing better to accomodate those who aren't there for the grind and top end-game challenge. But they haven't forgotten those either who want to put in the effort and want to be challenged, there's more difficulty options for different kind of players than ever before. Thanks for the great explanation btw, it was interesting to read.

But to HS, legendaries aren't really a requirement for climbing the ranks. https://i.imgur.com/uAOw6eK.png this deck reached Legend rank just a month ago. It's mostly common cards, only 2 epics and 3 rares even.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's also not a reason for death threats or hate or anything, really. Ruining a country, persecuting an ethnic group, starting a war or two, kidnapping a couple of hundred schoolgirls for years of slavery, that makes for a pretty damn good reason to hate someone (and even then I wouldn't normally make death threats).

Making a game console that costs $100-200 more than expected... not really.

I mean, i wasent referring to the price, tho im sure it added to it, Sony was front and center in putting "gameplay videos" of games where the graphics clearly wasent representative of the final product, in some cases using full on CGI movies and calling it gameplay that the PS3 could do, I wouldnt say I'd hate sony for this, but im pretty sure a ton of people sued sony for misrepresenting a product.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Bollocks.

He's deliberately obfuscating GameFAQs-level stupidity with valid criticism to deflect blame. I don't care how hard he thinks his job is, his industry absolutely should be called out by the consumer for loot boxes and selling broken games.

This is a prime example of what he mean.

Top Bottom