• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo faces 'imminent' attack after publishing image of naked Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far-left, anti-religion cartoonists

But I'm guessing that's not what jiji has in mind

They're not even anti religion, more like anti extremist.

I am not saying they can't say this stuff. But to me it's more of a question of why does them doing this shit garner so much respect? Yeah use your free-speech, but like don't do it to be a hateful asshole.

Did you happen to read at least one issue of CH or are you basing your point of view just with the drawing of the cover?

Real Hero

What's funny is when you people say this cover is "hateful" or that the paper is "racist" you just show to the rest that you have absolutely no clue about what the cover is about or who's behind this paper.
Yep, its usually someone wanting appear above it all but ends up looking clueless

EmiPrime

Some of Charlie Hebdo's favourite punching bags include the National Front and Marine LePen, Daech, the Catholic Church, Francois Hollande and French nationalism.

I am not sure if Islamism would make the top 10.

This is a newspaper that has drawn cartoons of Zidane head-butting Marine LePen.

Maybe the editors aren't afraid to die, but if some night janitor who doesn't know or care about anything being published there just happens to be cleaning the office when someone decides to toss a grenade in through the window, you know... that's kinda irresponsible on the editor's parts.

There comes a point when you need to be conscience of the people surrounding you, not just your own personal agenda.

By "people" Do you mean the terrorist who raise havoc in a democratic, free country, where people are allowed to draw, social and political cartoons?

Audioboxer

Some of Charlie Hebdo's favourite punching bags include the National Front and Marine LePen, Daech, the Catholic Church, Francois Hollande and French nationalism.

This is a newspaper that has drawn cartoons of Zidane head-butting Marine LePen.

Precisely. The issue though is which topic when it comes about produces the death threats and/or actual killings as we have seen?

I don't think it's been the Catholic Church threatening them...

The other stuff, possibly ridiculed more often by them passes by us all with barely a word. People come out of the woodwork in masses though when they do a cover on Mohammed or Islam to say they should stop.

Do you know the biggest irony about it all as well? Some of the Islamic countries who go apeshit over satire against them constantly produce their own satire targeting the Jewish/the Holocaust.

This is why in free countries a level playing field is paramount and has to be supported.

Kurita

Yup.
Not sure why people go crazy whenever they mock Muslims.
I don't find Charlie Hebdo funny but more power to them. It's just a drawing. If you're legit shook by that well, get your head checked.

The threats shouldn't be handed out but at the same time, why take Charlie Hebdo serious. I think they're idiots and have no quality to them but to give them attention is pointless.

The threats shouldn't be handed out but at the same time, why take Charlie Hebdo serious. I think they're idiots and have no quality to them but to give them attention is pointless.
They are getting attention because of the threats. If those weren't there, we wouldn't be reading about them.

XOMTOR

Because we shouldn't live in a world where violence/death threats restrict our speech. As I said above not many other media outlets will touch Islam equally so people like that Charlie Hebdo do.

I completely agree; however our world is subject to cause and effect relationships. It's sad and unfortunate that making fun of a particular religion can paint a target on your back but that's pretty much where were at. Again, it shouldn't happen but it does and to blatantly mock a whole group of people, especially after your offices were the target of an attack in the past, does seem a bit irresponsible. I applaud their conviction and dearly hope nothing bad comes of it but like someone else said earlier, it's like kicking a hornets nest.

Kelthink

It isn't their shtick to "kill with kindness". They approach every topic of religion and belief with the same bombastic ridicule and mockery.

Why would "a moderate of any religion" be looking to Charlie Hebdo for inspiration? lol. My parents are pretty devout Christians and think Charlie Hebdo is crude and offensive but the difference is my parents wouldn't then go and threaten them in ANY manner. Just ignore it and never seek it out.

What?

I didn't say their shtick was that. Killing with kindness is how you reduce extremist behaviours. You ignore, you discuss, you invite, you hug, hold hands. Ridiculing doesn't get anybody anywhere, it's just a few cheap sales. Like the Daily Mail or the Express blaming immigrants, for example.

And a moderate wouldn't look to Charlie Hebdo, don't be dumb. But the rag pushes tired stereotypes to the forefront of peoples' minds, creating a hostile environment.

But fuck it, in an age where Donald Trump thrives I'm not surprised.

SystemBug

Because we shouldn't live in a world where violence/death threats restrict our speech. As I said above not many other media outlets will touch Islam equally so people like that Charlie Hebdo do.

Think of it as shock therapy. One would hope the more it becomes normalized to mock Islam like everything else the more the extremists will be outweighed and their reign of terror and fear dismantled. What doesn't help is pandering to their request with all the apologetics suggesting "Islam should be off the table, that is mean, leave them alone". That does not help.

Anyone who cares about freedoms has to hope we will reach that place one day. Where offensive cartoons/comics/satire can be ignored/criticised if not your tastes, not people killed over it.

Okay I get that. Mock religion, that's fine. But why mock the right being taken away for Muslims to wear what they want to wear at a beach? I wish Charlie Hebdo didn't get threats over this. But I don't understand the joke that is being made here.

What?

I didn't say their shtick was that. Killing with kindness is how you reduce extremist behaviours. You ignore, you discuss, you invite, you hug, hold hands. Ridiculing doesn't get anybody anywhere, it's just a few cheap sales. Like the Daily Mail or the Express blaming immigrants, for example.

And a moderate wouldn't look to Charlie Hebdo, don't be dumb. But the rag pushes tired stereotypes to the forefront of peoples' minds, creating a hostile environment.

Must be nice living in your world. Because that stuff does not work with extremist people who already have their minds made up. You don't hug it out and hold hands with people wanting to kill you and making death threats.

I think they're idiots and have no quality to them but to give them attention is pointless.

XI2Ywk2.jpg

Okay I get that. Mock religion, that's fine. But why mock the right being taken away for Muslims to wear what they want to wear at a beach? I wish Charlie Hebdo didn't get threats over this. But I don't understand the joke that is being made here.

Clearly. They're literally doing the opposite to what you think they're doing.

Audioboxer

I completely agree; however our world is subject to cause and effect relationships. It's sad and unfortunate that making fun of a particular religion can paint a target on your back but that's pretty much where were at. Again, it shouldn't happen but it does and to blatantly mock a whole group of people, especially after your offices were the target of an attack in the past, does seem a bit irresponsible. I applaud their conviction and dearly hope nothing bad comes of it but like someone else said earlier, it's like kicking a hornets nest.

I can agree with that sentiment for sure, but it's what they do and I think everyone employed there even pre-attack understands they aren't going to give in to violence/threats. I doubt you take a job there expecting a batch of cookies sent in the post from fans everyday. You should expect a ton of criticism and mockery coming back at you from offended and upset people. You should not expect death threats and/or violence though.

What?

That's the problem of the behaviour of the individual if they create a hostile environment. It's not up to Charlie Hebdo to be the parents of human beings that cannot behave or act civil and like humanity should because they are offended and can't handle that inner offence in a productive way (voicing concern/mocking back/ignoring/etc).

They are satire as well. The Daily Mail doesn't report as satire, it tries to be a "real newspaper". Not a great comparison. Trash British newspapers trying to peddle themselves as fact tellers are in a league of their own.

From my understanding CH is partly mocking the stupid ban here as well. They have apparently targeted the Mayor or place responsible for it before.

Even if that isn't entirely true, as a satirical rag covering yourself head to toe on a beach is going to get mocked anyway. It is by all means rather stupid in the eyes of most (unless for medical reasons), not to mention unpractical in such heat. Most however would still fight for your freedom to dress as you please.

marrec

Banned

It's pro-Burkini in the end, satirically saying that muslims should "loosen up" when faced with not being able to dress how they'd like on the beach, showing an absurdist example of just how loose they should get under these new regulations.

They aren't mocking muslims, they're mocking the absurd law.

SummitAve

Banned
Must be nice living in your world. Because that stuff does not work with extremist people who already have their minds made up. You don't hug it out and hold hands with people wanting to kill you and making death threats.

Considering that, reacting with kindness would only be that much more important.

Kurtofan

What?

The hostile environment is created by the people with the aks.

Threads on Charlie Hebdo always make me think the paper is super right wing, racist and fascist.

I've only seen the cover, but based off of that and their views in the past, I'd assume they're against the cities in France that are banning the burkinis and thus are on the same side as Muslims on the issue. Am I wrong?

A guide to understand satyrical comics

with the last Charlie Hebdo drawing as an example :
charlie-hebdo-naked-muslims-2.png

This comic, drawn by the artist Riss, depicts a Muslim couple running naked on a French beach.
Printed in the Charlie Hebdo issue 1255 of the 08/10, it is important to understand the context and the messages it is trying to convey. It echoes many themes of the French/world actualities.

The topics
- first, the very fresh debate about the interdiction of the burkini on the beach of Cannes, which is a very hot topic since the very disputed decision was finally accepted by the tribunal of the city. Since then, two more cities are trying to do the same (for a total of three medium or small cities in the whole country). The interdiction is - from the words of the mayor - not supposed to target especially the Muslim community, since veils are still allowed (as kippas and crosses) but well, from a right mayor looking for fresh votes, no one is really blind.

- an other theme linked to the first one is the approach of the religion in the country. The burkini is worn by a very low percentage of the French Muslim population, those few people being considered by many to have a radical vision of the religion (which is not very well perceived since all the events in the country). It shows the problem of integration in the country, where the "vivre ensemble" concept of secularism is showing some limits, and where the justice is trying to set some standards and examples.

- More casually, it echoes the august vacations through the whole country when nearly half of the french workers take some days, mainly to go to the beach. French Muslim included. Old naked ladies burning in the sun also included.

- finally, it can be seen as a proof of the determination of Charlie Hebdo to keep its tone after the well known shooting, since many writers/artists of the journal died that day. It is not the first Une since the shooting, but the first to generate so much hate mail. It is well known that all topics related to religion are not well perceived (I dont know if any American criticized this one) , and they are still continuing that.

The messages
Now that we know what is it about, we can try to see the messages of the drawing.
- the sentence can be seen as a quote from a far right activist -> come on guys, stop doing stupid un christian things (critic of the mayor of Cannes for example)
- the sentence can be seen as a quote from a far left activist -> come on guys, stop being so religious (critic of people religion)
- the sentence can be seen as a quote from a normal french who just doesn't care about some electoral tricks -> let's enjoy the beach all together (a widely shared fed up feeling)
These are examples, I'm not here to explain how you exactly need to see it.

General facts
You have to keep in mind that if the drawing is supposed to look very simple, it is to allow the reader to go past the art and read the message behind the lines. It is also linked to the reactivity of the artists, often asked to produce such drawings hours before printing.
The cartoonish and grotesque faces are a standard in French satirical pieces, and a signature that allows to directly recognize the artists. There is no racist simplification of their faces or bodies, it's just the style of Riss (oh my god he is drawing white men with pig noses, that's an insult).
This piece is also, usually, linked to an article in the journal. It is a cover, supposed to catch your eye as you are walking by. The choice is difficult for the artists and authors, I recommend you to watch this short video about the famous work around the "it's hard to be loved by dickheads" une, filmed before the attacks, with the old team of Charlie. Here it is, in french (eh :/).

Finally, it's just a drawing of two naked people happily running around, don't take it too hard.

Averon

So, what do you all think is going to happen if extremists see that their violent attacks work? You think they are just going to stop?

They got Charlie Hebdo to "shut up" and they will move on to another target they feel "wronged" them in some way.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Exactly. Religious, political and social norms are ripe for parody and satire. It's a normal thing to do in a free society.

The one thing I could find offensive is the generalizing language that might feed into prejudiced people's biases.

That said it might be meta. Makes fun of people making such generalizations and also the laws for expecting Muslims to simply loosen up.

Offensive? Probably.
Hateful? No sure.

Worthy of violence? Fuck no.

Be careful not to oppose entitled opinions too harshly, it has been said for 4 pages now but it seems some guys are confident they understand the matter better than the people explaining it to them !

Tiberius

They don't moke that at all !
the message to the muslim is that they should chill out about showing skin at the beach

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Muslims aren't wild animals, but all this talk about "don't do this and you won't get attacked" sounds a lot like how you'd advise someone dealing with a bear or something. That shit seems more offensive to me than a cartoon of two naked characters.

Maz

Threads on Charlie Hebdo always make me think the paper is super right wing, racist and fascist.

I've only seen the cover, but based off of that and their views in the past, I'd assume they're against the cities in France that are banning the burkinis and thus are on the same side as Muslims on the issue. Am I wrong?

First time I ever hear about burkini, Googled it and that's a very interesting work around for covering the head. Why is it banned though?

Kurita

First time I ever hear about burkini, Googled it and that's a very interesting work around for covering the head. Why is it banned though?
Cause some people can't handle ONE person wearing something they don't approve of

Why can't they ban old men with gigantic guts hanging out from the beach? Shit's more offensive than a burkini

Condom

I think it's a dumb magazine with a bad sense of humor but my solution is not to give them any attention, not give their page extra hits and threaten them. Those idiots are just making them more popular.

Amalthea

Banned
How can anybody blame the magazines staff?

What kind of person becomes murderous after having their feelings hurt? The kind of people you should respect?

Or do some people just want to blame the cartoonists and excuse those who threaten and act out violence because of fear wich is exactly what terrorism aims for in the end?

Maz

Thank you for the link, so banned because it a symbol of "extreme religion" which I find hilarious. I feel sorry for those women getting targeted by law from one side and actual extremist that probably think those women are violating Islam.

Do they not realize that extremist don't want women to go to the beach, instead of reaching out to Muslims that want to change they are slapping them in the face. I find that fucking sad.

Btw I don't know much about French law, but how can a mayor pass law?

Edit: on topic, no one should fear physical harm because of that. I hope the death threats are just that and nothing comes of it, I mean I've seen people send death threats to companies that delay a game. The cartoon is crass but the message behind it seem good, but that's the way they do business so meh

Tiberius

Cause some people can't handle ONE person wearing something they don't approve of

Why can't they ban old men with gigantic guts hanging out from the beach? Shit's more offensive than a burkini
Burkini is banned from several beaches because of the risk of public disorder after the attack of nice, and with the recent incident in corse, i think more mayors will do it

Real Hero

I think it's a dumb magazine with a bad sense of humor but my solution is not to give them any attention, not give their page extra hits and threaten them. Those idiots are just making them more popular.
You should be more concerned with the threats rather than the popularity of the magazine

XOMTOR

I can agree with that sentiment for sure, but it's what they do and I think everyone employed there even pre-attack understands they aren't going to give in to violence/threats. I doubt you take a job there expecting a batch of cookies sent in the post from fans everyday. You should expect a ton of criticism and mockery coming back at you from offended and upset people. You should not expect death threats and/or violence though.

No, you certainly shouldn't; however that's not the reality of the world we currently live in is it? Hopefully we'll get there in the not-too-distant future and if we do, I doubt this comic will have contributed anything to that victory.

It's pro-Burkini in the end, satirically saying that muslims should "loosen up" when faced with not being able to dress how they'd like on the beach, showing an absurdist example of just how loose they should get under these new regulations.

Wearing a Burkini to a beach seems absurd to me as does the supposed law to ban them; however suggesting that Muslims loosen up by going naked is equally as absurd and does nothing to further resolve the issue. I don't know much about being Muslim but I'm pretty sure if you're required to wear something like a burkini, going naked isn't an option available to you.

Wearing a Burkini to a beach seems absurd to me as does the supposed law to ban them; however suggesting that Muslims loosen up by going naked is equally as absurd and does nothing to further resolve the issue. I don't know much about being Muslim but I'm pretty sure if you're required to wear something like a burkini, going naked isn't an option available to you.

And therein lies the problem, you're taking the drawing at face value.

Tiberius

Well that's the concept of a satirist cartoon

Almost there.

Muslims aren't wild animals, but all this talk about "don't do this and you won't get attacked" sounds a lot like how you'd advise someone dealing with a bear or something. That shit seems more offensive to me than a cartoon of two naked characters.

This is something that always sticks out to me in these discussions.

Like, you guys know that Muslims are aware of the concept of civil discourse, right? Freedom of Speech is a two way street, and there's nothing stopping the Muslim community from speaking out against things they find offensive, and they have. No excuses should ever be made for the few extremists that want to escalate into violence. Doing so not only makes a mockery of free speech, but it feeds into this idea that Muslims are somehow incompatible to reason, which is bullshit.

marrec

Banned

They...

Okay, so it's satire right? We have to understand that first. You aren't supposed to take the image at face value... that's the point. They aren't literally suggesting that muslims go to the beach naked, they are using an extremely absurd image to lampoon the law and show just how absurd the law is. Adding the "loosen up" to drive home the sarcasm of the image.

Audioboxer

No, you certainly shouldn't; however that's not the reality of the world we currently live in is it? Hopefully we'll get there in the not-too-distant future and if we do, I doubt this comic will have contributed anything to that victory.

Can't agree with that. The people that lost their lives at the very least catapulted how bad this "issue" is in the world to the forefront of many of our thoughts.

As I've said before they are also one of the very few outlets treating all ideologies equal in the media these days. I mean if that is the future you seemingly want, why wouldn't an outlet, however small, not be credited with helping us get there? Especially if they were one of the first going at it with no censorship at all. Also quite clearly no fear either. Extremism cannot be allowed to capture us through fear.

A guide to understand satyrical comics

with the last Charlie Hebdo drawing as an example :
charlie-hebdo-naked-muslims-2.png

This comic, drawn by the artist Riss, depicts a Muslim couple running naked on a French beach.
Printed in the Charlie Hebdo issue 1255 of the 08/10, it is important to understand the context and the messages it is trying to convey. It echoes many themes of the French/world actualities.

The topics
- first, the very fresh debate about the interdiction of the burkini on the beach of Cannes, which is a very hot topic since the very disputed decision was finally accepted by the tribunal of the city. Since then, two more cities are trying to do the same (for a total of three medium or small cities in the whole country). The interdiction is - from the words of the mayor - not supposed to target especially the Muslim community, since veils are still allowed (as kippas and crosses) but well, from a right mayor looking for fresh votes, no one is really blind.

- an other theme linked to the first one is the approach of the religion in the country. The burkini is worn by a very low percentage of the French Muslim population, those few people being considered by many to have a radical vision of the religion (which is not very well perceived since all the events in the country). It shows the problem of integration in the country, where the "vivre ensemble" concept of secularism is showing some limits, and where the justice is trying to set some standards and examples.

- More casually, it echoes the august vacations through the whole country when nearly half of the french workers take some days, mainly to go to the beach. French Muslim included. Old naked ladies burning in the sun also included.

- finally, it can be seen as a proof of the determination of Charlie Hebdo to keep its tone after the well known shooting, since many writers/artists of the journal died that day. It is not the first Une since the shooting, but the first to generate so much hate mail. It is well known that all topics related to religion are not well perceived (I dont know if any American criticized this one) , and they are still continuing that.

The messages
Now that we know what is it about, we can try to see the messages of the drawing.
- the sentence can be seen as a quote from a far right activist -> come on guys, stop doing stupid un christian things (critic of the mayor of Cannes for example)
- the sentence can be seen as a quote from a far left activist -> come on guys, stop being so religious (critic of people religion)
- the sentence can be seen as a quote from a normal french who just doesn't care about some electoral tricks -> let's enjoy the beach all together (a widely shared fed up feeling)
These are examples, I'm not here to explain how you exactly need to see it.

General facts
You have to keep in mind that if the drawing is supposed to look very simple, it is to allow the reader to go past the art and read the message behind the lines. It is also linked to the reactivity of the artists, often asked to produce such drawings hours before printing.
The cartoonish and grotesque faces are a standard in French satirical pieces, and a signature that allows to directly recognize the artists. There is no racist simplification of their faces or bodies, it's just the style of Riss (oh my god he is drawing white men with pig noses, that's an insult).
This piece is also, usually, linked to an article in the journal. It is a cover, supposed to catch your eye as you are walking by. The choice is difficult for the artists and authors, I recommend you to watch this short video about the famous work around the "it's hard to be loved by dickheads" une, filmed before the attacks, with the old team of Charlie. Here it is, in french (eh :/).

Finally, it's just a drawing of two naked people happily running around, don't take it too hard.

Great post, and that final line really is sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom