• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Charlie Hebdo faces 'imminent' attack after publishing image of naked Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other side of the coin i think some think like this about any other race/religion would end up with death threats, right or wrong its not suprising.

Averon

Muslims aren't wild animals, but all this talk about "don't do this and you won't get attacked" sounds a lot like how you'd advise someone dealing with a bear or something. That shit seems more offensive to me than a cartoon of two naked characters.

This.

The implication that Muslims need to be handled with kid glove lest they go into a murderous rage is far more insulting than anything CH has done.

Do people arguing that not know how horrible that sounds?

kinggroin

Banned
Westboro is allowed to exist without fear of violent retaliation.

Charlie Hebdo should too.

Edit: Yes they aren't the same. I know that.

however suggesting that Muslims loosen up by going naked is equally as absurd and does nothing to further resolve the issue. I don't know much about being Muslim but I'm pretty sure if you're required to wear something like a burkini, going naked isn't an option available to you.

The inability to understand something that's been explained numerous times through this thread is fascinating ; the emphasis on "loosen up" is criticizing the idea of the mayor to ban burkinis, which are completely unrelated to terrorism or anything close to it.

It's sarcasm, the thing that internet memers love to misuse 24/7, when it says to muslims to loosen up it's in fact telling idiots like the mayor to chill the fuck down because women wearing burkinis at the beach aren't threatening our country.

You - as in, you gaffers - gotta stop typing nonsense when you have no clue about what you're talking about, just read the thread you want to participate in, there's only 4 pages !

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
No religion is entitled to kid gloves or the right not to offended, period. If you don't like free speech then stay the fuck out of Western democracies and stop threatening people's lives.

You can find it pointless and offensive and still support their right to do it.

Exactly, free speech is a core tenet of Western society and no one is off limits (including Muhammad). You either learn to accept that or you move to someplace where you don't have to.

On the other side of the coin i think some think like this about any other race/religion would end up with death threats, right or wrong its not suprising.

110594947.jpg
NSFW
111373735.jpg

Tiberius

Each week charlie do this for all kind of religions and they got only massive death threats with extremist muslim

Edit you got examples before my post

Yeah, they should self censor and look they other way.
The France is already painted with unfounded fear and hatred of every kind of Muslim; stupid caricatures will only fuel that hatred.

It is the same as defending all the bullshit that Trump spews out.

Freedom of speech that just adds to racism and hatred should be condemned, even if allowed; just like how Trump should be allowed to run for presidency, but should not be voted in [unless you are okay with racism and sexism]

The France is already painted with unfounded fear and hatred of every kind of Muslim; stupid caricatures will only fuel that hatred.

Freedom of speech that just adds to racism and hatred should be condemned, even if allowed; just like how Trump should be allowed to run for presidency, but should not be voted in [unless you are okay with racism and sexism]

WTF?

I think I'll step out of this thread now, can't believe what I'm currently reading.

No.

olag

No, you certainly shouldn't; however that's not the reality of the world we currently live in is it? Hopefully we'll get there in the not-too-distant future and if we do, I doubt this comic will have contributed anything to that victory.

"Dont rock the boat". Every change needs a catalyst, its up to history whether or not that catalyst contributed something not personal convenience.

Translation for the previous drawings :

Drawing 1 : (Charlie Hebdo told you so) "Religion, it's only trouble"

Drawing 3 : Religion. The kippa can save your life !

Drawing 4 : A Mars mission to save humanity "It's a one ticket... But eternal life for you, right?"

*Sigh* It's disgusting that they're receiving death threats for this.

With that being said, I always feel slightly uncomfortable with their portrayal of Muslims. People will quickly jump to their defence by playing the "but it's satire" card, but I remain sceptical that the comics are entirely well-intentioned. It seems like they're doubling down on the Muslim comics to stick their middle finger up at the extremists, and that's awesome. I do want them to be unfazed in the face of extremism, but I'm not sold on their execution. It's okay to mock Islam itself, but when actual Muslims are involved, it becomes slightly shady. Muslims are not a race, of course. But when you consider that the large majority of Muslims are not white, and Islam is largely associated with the Arab world, the line between Muslim mockery and racism isn't as distinct as some like to believe. Yes, I'm aware that it's Charlie Hebdo, and they do it with Jews too. Still doesn't make it cool.

Real Hero

No, see this kind of thing just shows a fundamental lack of understanding

I really hope these threats are unfounded. Those guys have balls to keep doing what they do after what happened, I salute them for that.

Balls, or stupidity? I don't salute them. Sure, they have the right to publish whatever the fuck they want, freedom of speech and all. But I'm not in the habit of saluting and celebrating this kind of mockery and xenophobia whose sole purpose is to stir shit up, target minority groups, and provoke anger, hatred, and frustration. Charlie Hebdo's has a vile history of publishing racist/xenophobic cartoons that are in horrible taste. It does not mean they should be injured or killed for it, but by the same token I don't see it as anything praise worthy or commendable.

Tiberius

"- Stop the ban of the burkini because freedom of religion"

"- Ban charlie hebdo fuck freedom of speech"

Associating charlie and trump show the unawareness of what is charlie

Jebusman

Banned
So how many Charlie Hebdo threads are we gonna have before half of GAF understands what satire is?

I'm sure we've done the rounds enough times before.

Real Hero

Balls, or stupidity? I don't salute them. Sure, they have the right to publish whatever the fuck they want, freedom of speech and all. But I'm not in the habit of saluting and celebrating this kind of mockery and xenophobia whose sole purpose is to stir shit up, target minority groups, and provoke anger, hatred, and frustration. Charlie Hebdo's has a vile history of publishing racist/xenophobic cartoons that are in horrible taste. It does not mean they should be injured or killed for it, but by the same token I don't see it as anything praise worthy or commendable.

The only people who are stupid is people acting like this is some racist cartoon for no reason at all

Oh, perhaps you haven't been following the news:

French city of Cannes bans Burkini on beaches, citing "public order" concerns #1

Stop pretending that these caricatures aren't overtly racist.

I perfectly know what is happening in my country. You saying that "The France" as a problem with "every kind of muslim" and showing me an article about the ban of a piece of clothing no one knew in one city before the "burkina party" in Marseille here shows that you actually don't.

And no those caricatures aren't overtly racist, you just seem to lack the notion of what satire is.

No, see this kind of thing just shows a fundamental lack of understanding
You expect me to accept that I have a fundamental lack of understanding just because you say so?

You have something like 5 pages to read. Thank you.
You mean a post like this, right?
As usual the first page of a Charlie Hebdo thread here on Neogaf reacting to an image without thinking and calling it hateful, racist.

They are just as much mocking the ban and the mayor of Cannes for the ban, as they are mocking the far right beliefs of Muslims.

Reminder- Charlie Hebdo is a far left newspaper.
I like to draw further on my analogy between Trump and Charlie Hebo's caricature. Trump, on numerous occasions, have pointed out that the Media just twists his words, and he has been reminded many times that it doesn't really matter what 'he' means, he should accept the responsibility, as a politician, for how other people 'perceive' his messages.

Now you can go into detail to explain why these caricatures aren't really racist, but unless someone is quite literate in satire and journalism, all they see is a mockery of Muslims. The end result is that Charlie Hebdo is not accepting political responsibility for what they are doing.

---
Let me show you another image; do you think this is racist or not?
http://i.imgur.com/g2ARrZB.jpg

--
"- Stop the ban of the burkini because freedom of religion"

"- Ban charlie hebdo fuck freedom of speech"

Associating charlie and trump show the unawareness of what is charlie
Don't pull words out of your ass; where did I say Charlie Hebdo should be banned? I specifically pointed out that they should be allowed to do whatever they want to do, but it doesn't mean we should support them. It is as if we keep supporting Trump, because freedom of speech allows him to say whatever he says, and so by supporting him we are supporting freedom of speech.

You expect me to accept that I have a fundamental lack of understanding just because you say so?

I like to draw further on my analogy between Trump and Charlie Hebo's caricature. Trump, on numerous occasions, have pointed out that the Media just twists his words, and he has been reminded many times that it doesn't really matter what 'he' means, he should accept the responsibility, as a politician, for how other people 'perceive' his messages.

Now you can go into detail to explain why these caricatures aren't really racist, but unless someone is quite literate in satire and journalism, all they see is a mockery of Muslims. The end result is that Charlie Hebdo is not accepting political responsibility for what they are doing.

---

RUmNZ56.jpg

Real Hero

You should because everything your saying makes it seem like you saw the cover for a second didn't think about the joke decided to was racist and won't back away from that and your now comparing them with trump, the complete opposite of them

I perfectly know what is happening in my country. You saying that "The France" as a problem with "every kind of muslim" and showing me an article about the ban of a piece of clothing no one knew in one city before the "burkina party" in Marseille here shows that you actually don't.

And no those caricatures aren't overtly racist, you just seem to lack the notion of what satire is.
How do you explain this?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-against-Muslims-and-Jews-soar-in-France.html

So the correct thing to do is assume your audience are a bunch of braindead idiots and cannot think for themselves?

Isn't shitposting like what you're doing right now a bannable offense here?
What's the point of this post? What's the link with Charlie Hebdo's cover? What the link with the post you quoted?

What was the point of your last post? How little of the world do you understand to compare Trump to Charlie Hebdo? What was the point of the image you posted?

Get back on topic, or read answers previously written please?

No, I meant my post explaining the thing for you, on page 4 and quoted at the beginning of this page :

A guide to understand satyrical comics

with the last Charlie Hebdo drawing as an example
[...]
I let you find it, or maybe you are not literate in the use of this forum.

Charlie Hebdo never complained about that, they where sued numerous time and won a lot.

Well so just don't talk about what you don't understand ?

One specific religion to be fair. Not ALL.

Christianity was just as bad at one point (I'd argue that it was worse), but thankfully we're long past that time. Many people fought and died to earn the right to speak their mind and discuss new ideas. If Muslims aren't free to criticise their own religion it's going to take a long time for them to break the restrictive hold it has on them.

Tiberius

Don't pull words out of your ass; where did I say Charlie Hebdo should be banned? I specifically pointed out that they should be allowed to do whatever they want to do, but it doesn't mean we should support them. It is as if we keep supporting Trump, because freedom of speech allows him to say whatever he says, and so by supporting him we are supporting freedom of speech.
Well you are more vocal about charlie's cartoon and its pseudo racism than the extremist ideology behind the burkini which is the subject of this cartoon

MisterR

---

--

I don't think satire should be watered down so that idiots can understand it.

MUnited83

For you.

I like to draw further on my analogy between Drumpf and Charlie Hebo's caricature. Drumpf, on numerous occasions, have pointed out that the Media just twists his words, and he has been reminded many times that it doesn't really matter what 'he' means, he should accept the responsibility, as a politician, for how other people 'perceive' his messages.

---

--

Don't pull words out of your ass; where did I say Charlie Hebdo should be banned? I specifically pointed out that they should be allowed to do whatever they want to do, but it doesn't mean we should support them. It is as if we keep supporting Drumpf, because freedom of speech allows him to say whatever he says, and so by supporting him we are supporting freedom of speech.

Satirical magazine which entire business is satire should not do satire because dumbasses don't know what is satire?

Sounds great!

If you don't see the difference between a cartoon about something and Donald Trump running for President while saying those things, I don't know where to even begin.

And guess what! You can condemn the cartoon all you want. Go ahead. Go make flyers, hand them out in the streets. Make a sign and protest in front of their office. No problem! The problem is people making death threads and even following up on those, as has been done before to them.

Oh, perhaps you haven't been following the news:

French city of Cannes bans Burkini on beaches, citing "public order" concerns #1

Stop pretending that these caricatures aren't overtly racist.
What do you think the damn cartoon is about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom