• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| Cheap, Calm, and Carry On

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone from England used HMV Ireland before? I'm considering getting the Darth Vader PS4 bundle from there as it works out at £308 instead of the £385 Game and Amazon want. Are there any extra charges or anything for ordering from outside Ireland?

GRW810

Captain Toad finally arrived from Amazon Italy but the text on the back of the box is in Italian. Stupidly assumed it would be English. Is there an easy way to get an English sleeve replacement? I don't know if it is OCD but I can't cope with this minor grievance.

TheMoon

Captain Toad finally arrived from Amazon Italy but the text on the back of the box is in Italian. Stupidly assumed it would be English. Is there an easy way to get an English sleeve replacement? I don't know if it is OCD but I can't cope with this minor grievance.

Could've told you that beforehand.

No replacements unless you print one yourself.

Volotaire

eBay for a box only, but this could take up to a few months for a listing because there are few Wii U games on eBay relative to other game console listings and even fewer Captain Toad listings.

Decider

Just return it.

Just get over it, jeez louise. This is the epitome of first world problems. Just enjoy the brilliant, gorgeous game that you scored for hella cheap.

8bit

Knows the Score

What did you expect when ordering from Amazon Italy? if you want to replace it, you can either try and find a scan of an English language copy and print it, or steal it from a shelf.

Either way, it's never really going to be quite right, is it?

GRW810

Could've told you that beforehand.

No replacements unless you print one yourself.
I was thinking the printing option.

eBay for a box only, but this could take up to a few months for a listing because there are few Wii U games on eBay relative to other game console listings and even fewer Captain Toad listings.
Or this, but I thought it was unlikely or not cost effective.

Just return it.
Nah, because...

He'd have to pay for shipping (both ways) and it doesn't seem like it'd be worth it.
...this.

Just get over it, jeez louise. This is the epitome of first world problems. Just enjoy the brilliant, gorgeous game that you scored for hella cheap.
I love it when it people overreact to a stranger's post on the internet for no apparent reason. Cam down Beyonce, it's not a big deal. I was just enquiring.

What did you expect when ordering from Amazon Italy? if you want to replace it, you can either try and find a scan of an English language copy and print it, or steal it from a shelf.

Either way, it's never really going to be quite right, is it?
I expected it to be the same because someone earlier in this thread asked if a European box was any different and someone else replied no. Which it isn't really, they were correct. Just a different language. I saw DS games in Spain the other year with completely English boxes so I just assumed it was the same across Europe.

Foolish and naive in hindsight but there was some sort of weak, misguided logic/precedent.

Jucksalbe

Banned
For the future: The only boxes from Nintendo that are multilingual are the Special Editions. They are usually the same everywhere (that's why they all have that horrid USK rating).

AerialAir

Banned
I expected it to be the same because someone earlier in this thread asked if a European box was any different and someone else replied no. Which it isn't really, they were correct. Just a different language. I saw DS games in Spain the other year with completely English boxes so I just assumed it was the same across Europe.

Foolish and naive in hindsight but there was some sort of weak, misguided logic/precedent.

Most discs/cartridges are all the same through the EU. The box however is usually translated. This happens with all the 5 systems.

oldmario

are there any websites that are uk based that usually sell pre-order bonuses? i'm after that MGS5 steelbook but i don't want to pre-order the regular edition of the game because i have the CE pre-ordered

wormania

are there any websites that are uk based that usually sell pre-order bonuses? i'm after that MGS5 steelbook but i don't want to pre-order the regular edition of the game because i have the CE pre-ordered

This is not something that can happen from main sellers. They give their preorder numbers to the publisher who then sends them enough of the pre-order goodies to cover their orders. The only way you can get preorder stuff seperately would be to buy 2nd hand after it's released.

Hasney

Honestly though, looking at ShopTos prices, it probably wouldn't cost much to get the game with the case and just flip the extra game at CEX or eBay for more.

Godan

Anyone know where i could pick up a cheap MGS:V Ground Zeros for for the PC don't want to pay £10 for it when i have seen it cheaper in the past.

UK or rest of Europe Gaffers: is anyone interested in buying a new copy of Mario Maker for £27 posted (UK price, Euro TBC)? I'm receiving it from the Nintendo UK store at release as a friend of mine wants the T-Shirt. He has a NTSC-U Wii U, so can't play the game, so has asked me to sell it on for him since he's based in Australia.

I don't have the game yet, obviously. It's released on September 11th, so I should get it then or shortly after. Total bargain for a new game, PayPal gift only please.

PM me if you're interested.

NHale

So we Europeans can't "cheat" PSN by using a VPN like Hola to link a Canadian PayPal account to a Canadian PSN account anymore?

It was easy to do until recently but since March I can't anymore. PSN allows linking the account but doesn't permit the transfer of money saying the credit card is invalid (it's not). So I'm guessing they implemented a system that checks if the credit card is European... with the Canadian exchange rate I can see why.

Does anyone know any other way to take advantage of Canadian great prices? Right now Amazon US seems the only option but USD-EUR exchange rate isn't as great as CDN-EUR.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So we Europeans can't "cheat" PSN by using a VPN like Hola to link a Canadian PayPal account to a Canadian PSN account anymore?

It was easy to do until recently but since March I can't anymore. PSN allows linking the account but doesn't permit the transfer of money saying the credit card is invalid (it's not). So I'm guessing they implemented a system that checks if the credit card is European... with the Canadian exchange rate I can see why.

Does anyone know any other way to take advantage of Canadian great prices? Right now Amazon US seems the only option but USD-EUR exchange rate isn't as great as CDN-EUR.

Is it not possible to buy CDN prepaid cards like the US ones?

Also, are games $60 on the Canadian market? I've been using the US market but may switch to the US one if thats possible

NHale

Is it not possible to buy CDN prepaid cards like the US ones?

Also, are games $60 on the Canadian market? I've been using the US market but may switch to the US one if thats possible

Not anymore. They are increasing prices on the store since late last year. Now it's 70 CDN and in some cases 80 CDN like Madden.

Full retail games are not an advantage but digital games/sales are the same price on the CDN store and the US store, which is a big difference.

I believe that Amazon.ca only sells physical codes and even then they are out of stock. Other stores sell them at an exorbitant price.

Lashley

Not anymore. They are increasing prices on the store since late last year. Now it's 70 CDN and in some cases 80 CDN like Madden.

Full retail games are not an advantage but digital games/sales are the same price on the CDN store and the US store, which is a big difference.

I believe that Amazon.ca only sells physical codes and even then they are out of stock. Other stores sell them at an exorbitant price.

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buy/PlayStation-Network-50-Card-CANADA/

Decent for Brits

might use the CDN PSN for sales and just leave retail games for US PSN

Lashley

Strange because at PayPal checkout it still appears the same price as advertised. 50 CDN card for . Now I'm afraid of advancing with the purchase.

if it states the price on the paypal checkout that is what you'll be charged

NHale

if it states the price on the paypal checkout that is what you'll be charged

Confirmed that just now. I bought a PSN Card from PC Games Supply and only paid what they advertise on their website which is exactly the current exchange rate from Canadian Dollars to Euros. Great deal.

illusionary

Code name: STEAM on Amazon UK continues its slow crawl to the £10 sweetspot. Currently £11.20.

I'm waiting patiently....

With The Shepherd's Crown out imminently, I think those two might make a good combination to beat the £20 free postage threshold - I'll see that as a nice excuse for the pickup!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Code name: STEAM on Amazon UK continues its slow crawl to the £10 sweetspot. Currently £11.20.

This game will be pretty expensive in the future, so I am caving in now. Even though I was supposed to wait for next month salary before buying new games. Oh well.

Eolz

This game will be pretty expensive in the future, so I am caving in now. Even though I was supposed to wait for next month salary before buying new games. Oh well.

Do you think so? These prices seem like Nintendo also badly overstocked it...

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Do you think so? These prices seem like Nintendo also badly overstocked it...

Ok maybe you are right. I was under the impression that they wasnt stocking as much on games like this thanks to their rising eshop numbers, but im sure this particular game, no matter how bad it was stocked, was still overstocked a bit considering its weak sales. Anyways, I just got it. Hope its decent!

TheMoon

Ok maybe you are right. I was under the impression that they wasnt stocking as much on games like this thanks to their rising eshop numbers, but im sure this particular game, no matter how bad it was stocked, was still overstocked a bit considering its weak sales. Anyways, I just got it. Hope its decent!

It's more than just decent. It's one of this year's most criminally overlooked and underrated games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom