• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| With Or Without EU

You didn't think you could put the £s in the wrong place and get away with it, did you? :)

You English-speakers and your weird currency marker placement. How does that even make sense? "This game costs pounds twenty five". "Your burguer will be dollars four point ninety five, sir". Almost as asinine as your imperial units...

You English-speakers and your weird currency marker placement. How does that even make sense? "This game costs pounds twenty five". "Your burguer will be dollars four point ninety five, sir". Almost as asinine as your imperial units...

You're supposed to put the euro sign in front of the amount as well.

E.g. €30 rather than 30€.

Not just "English-speakers and their weird currency marker placement". ;-)

8bit

Knows the Score
Thank you! Any palce where I can get prepaid cards for amazon.es? Don't have a credit card.

As amazon.es is euro powered, my guess would be that the prepaid cards you can get in Edeka, Rewe or Mueller etc. would work as credit (I assume you're in Germany because of your username). HOWEVER, don't trust only my opinion.

Phinor

Actually it is something English speakers do specifically. For example in Finland the official way is to put € after the number, same with all currencies as long as you are doing things "in Finnish". My source for other languages is a bit dated but the same goes for French, German and Spanish languages, although how mandatory it is varies. As of 2002 in all official EU documents every language had the symbol after the number except English speaking countries. A more recent document I found states that there are couple of other languages within EU that now use symbol before number: Maltese, Latvian and Irish.

Personally I always put £ and $ before the number, € after the number regardless of the language I'm using. Just something I've picked up over the years.

pswii60

It's the same in the Netherlands.

Actually it is something English speakers do specifically. For example in Finland the official way is to put € after the number, same with all currencies as long as you are doing things "in Finnish". My source for other languages is a bit dated but the same goes for French, German and Spanish languages, although how mandatory it is varies. As of 2002 in all official EU documents every language had the symbol after the number except English speaking countries. A more recent document I found states that there are couple of other languages within EU that now use symbol before number: Maltese, Latvian and Irish.

Personally I always put £ and $ before the number, € after the number regardless of the language I'm using. Just something I've picked up over the years.

Wiki says the following:

Placement of the sign also varies. Partly since there are no official standards on placement,[9] countries have generated varying conventions or sustained those of their former currencies. For example, in Ireland and the Netherlands, where previous currency signs (£ and ƒ, respectively) were placed before the figure, the euro sign is universally placed in the same position.[10] In many other countries, including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Latvia[11] and Lithuania, an amount such as €3.50 is often written as 3,50 € instead, largely in accordance with conventions for previous currencies and the way amounts are read aloud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_sign

So it's not something English speakers do specifically, if Wikipedia is to be believed. And since there are apparently no official standards, I doubt there is an "official way" in Finland. It's, as the Wiki article states, probably largely a convention.

Famassu

Wiki says the following:

Placement of the sign also varies. Partly since there are no official standards on placement,[9] countries have generated varying conventions or sustained those of their former currencies. For example, in Ireland and the Netherlands, where previous currency signs (£ and ƒ, respectively) were placed before the figure, the euro sign is universally placed in the same position.[10] In many other countries, including France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Latvia[11] and Lithuania, an amount such as €3.50 is often written as 3,50 € instead, largely in accordance with conventions for previous currencies and the way amounts are read aloud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_sign

So it's not something English speakers do specifically, if Wikipedia is to be believed. And since there are apparently no official standards, I doubt there is an "official way" in Finland. It's, as the Wiki article states, probably largely a convention.
I've never seen € in front of a price in Finland. Never.

pswii60

I never saw the € before the amount. Well here in Germany. Looks stupid and would sound stupid if you say it like this.
We don't say 'pound ten' for £10 you know! We say ten pound(s). I suppose the £ goes first so that you instantly know what follows is a price. I'm sure there will be some anorak somewhere who knows the actual history behind this stuff, but not on GAF.

Interestingly we put the pence after though.

So...

£50
50p

I don't know why we put the £ symbol first, but we fucking do alright. So I was right to correct that post :p

Edit: My friend (in accounting) says the placement is historically due to cheques and fraud, to stop people putting additional numbers before the amount.

Eg:

2.00£ and you can turn that in to 222.00£ if you like, but £2.00 and you're stuck there.

Although technically I reckon you could turn the '.' in to a ',' and make it £2,000.00 maybe :)

And all this ignores the fact that you also have to write the amount in words too in order to stop tampering.

So maybe that is the historical basis but it doesn't change much.

Not in Spain, France, Italy, Portugal, Greece or really any other euro country I bothered to check.
Source: check any international online shop, e.g. www.toysrus.com and www.toysrus.co.uk (currency before amount), www.toysrus.es, www.toysrus.fr, www.toysrus.pt (currency after amount). Actually France places the euro sign between the whole amount and the cents, which I'll admit makes the most sense ("five Euro with ninety nine").

Edit: I see the horse has been thoroughly beaten, sorry for the derail and I hope everyone learned something today. I also want to think foobarry81 is being parodical in his stubbornness. :D

Adryuu

Never saw Persona below 45€. Yakuza 0 is 25€ though already (Amazon.es and game.es), but that seems to be about £22. But for a game that launched at 59 or even 69€ and still costs that on psn I'd say it's good enough. Thinking of buying it myself.

Uncharted Lost Legacy is not gonna drop anytime soon, right? I guess it's doing well as it is. But I can't justify that on a short game nowadays, is 30€ a good deal on a physical copy of Gravity Rush 2?

ty_hot

Horizon is probably keeping the Uncharted 4 price strategy, not going under 30 euros (or equivalent in pounds) till after the expansion is released. Any price close to that is already a good deal.

Top Bottom