• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating-GAF: Share your stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

Ever since humanity invented the social (and somewhat evolutionary) construct of an agreed-upon relationship, there has been cheating. Having sexual relations with multiple partners is something that we are all driven to do, should we listen to our basest instincts. Pledging faithfulness to another person is a high-level human behavior, demonstrating our unique ability to go against inbuilt urges and desires. The reality is, of course, that people oftentimes do succumb to those primal urges and forsake the trust that they've worked to earn from their significant other. Due to the complex nature of human relationships, there are almost an infinite amount of situational factors that can result in infidelity.

cheaters_320x240.jpg

A lot of my friends think that I am a moral absolutist when it comes to cheating, and I'd have to agree with them. While I have thankfully never been cheated on, I can imagine what it would feel like. To me, it's one of the most hurtful things one person can do to another, especially if the cheating occurs within a serious relationship (as opposed to something casual). I'm not saying that it is wrong to be tempted. After all, we do have those desires before and after we've entered into a relationship. Acting on those urges, however, shows absolutely zero regard for the feelings of the person your with. I've always wondered, "How can someone do something so terrible to a person that they care about?"

Given my stance on cheating, all of my friends know that if they cheat and I find out, they have one week to confess before I rat them out. My loyalties lie to whomever is in the right in most situations, and I will always side with the victim of cheating rather than the perpetrator, even if my friend is the guilty party. This even applies when I barely know the person who's being cheated on. I feel that everyone deserves to know, and I don't care if someone gets mad at me for breaking the news. If my friend cheats on his or her significant other, they know that I simply won't let it slide. Period. And yes, I have put this policy into practice with my best friend before.

Edit: Due to all the backlash, I want to make it clear that the situation with my friend never necessitated me intervening. He understood my position, realized that what he did was wrong, and came clean himself. Read on to find out why this edit was necessary.

In our society, we tend to label the act of cheating as being a "mistake." To me, that is a misnomer that has led to the further proliferation of the heinous act. A mistake is a bad decision that you unknowingly make and come to regret in hindsight. Cheaters know what they are doing is wrong from the get-go and then choose to do it anyway.

So I realize that I am very black/white on this issue, but I'm interested to hear your stories. Have you ever cheated or been cheated on? If so, what were the circumstances? I'm not here to judge (although I will be silently for some), but rather I just want to canvass for some of that "gray area" that I seem to be missing. Is it possible for cheating to ever be justified? I'm curious to find out.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
ScOULaris said:
Given my stance on cheating, all of my friends know that if they cheat and I find out, they have one week to confess before I rat them out. My loyalties lie to whomever is in the right in most situations, and I will always side with the victim of cheating rather than the perpetrator, even if my friend is the guilty party. This even applies when I barely know the person who's being cheated on. I feel that everyone deserves to know, and I don't care if someone gets mad at me for breaking the news. If my friend cheats on his or her significant other, they know that I simply won't let it slide. Period. And yes, I have put this policy into practice with my best friend before.

While I don't like cheaters, that is fucked.

I was cheated on way back in highschool. I dated this girl who had feelings for her ex. They hooked up, I found out and re-arranged his nose for good. He had tubes stuffed up his nose and had to sleep with a bib because of all the fluids expelling from his nostrils for almost a month. No regret, no remorse. I tell my gfs that if you cheat on me, you'll be on a milk carton. I've never cheated on any gfs.

EDIT: To clarify for the neck beards that aren't reading the thread, the milk carton thing is a joke.

Tapiozona

Banned
ScOULaris said:

Glad you're not one of my friends. You want to be the Knight in Shining Armor for someone you don't know. Get yourself involved in something that doesn't apply to you, while showing 0 loyalty to your closest friends. Mind your own damn business

KJTB

lethial said:

I was cheated on way back in highschool. I dated this girl who had feelings for her ex. They hooked up, I found out and re-arranged his nose for good. He had tubes stuffed up his nose and had to sleep with a bib because of all the fluids expelling from his nostrils for almost a month. No regret, no remorse. I tell my gfs that if you cheat on me, you'll be on a milk carton. I've never cheated on any gfs.

That's kind of a douche thing to do man. It's hardly his fault that they hooked up. It was up to her to not cheat on you, not him to not let her cheat on you.

ScOULaris said:

Thats messed up. You must only have 2 friends.

lethial said:

"Cheating is unforgiveable, we should know better than to be slaves to our base urges...and I'll brutally attack you if you do it to me"

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Dipindots said:
That's kind of a douche thing to do man. It's hardly his fault that they hooked up. It was up to her to not cheat on you, not him to not let her cheat on you.

We were buddies and I was at a different stage in my life.

lethial said:

Um, ok then.

Bread

Banned
lethial said:

tumblr_lefszqdQgZ1qf8yek.gif

usea

crimzonflame said:
Thats messed up. You must only have 2 friends.
I disagree. Nobody is perfect, but loyalty to a person who shits on others like that is wholly misplaced. I would definitely rat out a friend to his SO if I knew he was cheating. That shit is fucked up; people deserve better. If the friend ends our friendship over it, then they weren't a worthwhile friend to begin with. They're the one who fucked up; taking it out on me would be juvenile.

This is as dumb as the "don't snitch" shit.

ShOcKwAvE

Two years ago, I moved in with my GF of 4.5 years. She started cheating a month later with a coworker. She broke up with me a few weeks after they started, but she tried to hide the real reason (even though I suspected).

I found out the truth a week after that by going through her phone texts - this was the ONLY time I ever invaded her privacy, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

Get'sMad

never cheated on a gf but have been the dude a few chicks have cheated on with on multiple occasions. I didn't know they were cheating on someone with me in some instances and knew in others.

usea

modernkicks said:
never cheated on a gf but have been the dude a few chicks have cheated on with on multiple occasions. I didn't know they were cheating on someone with me in some instances and knew in others.
I'm not sure how I feel about this (assuming you don't know the person who is being cheated on). I feel that the blame lies on the cheater, not the facilitator. But regardless I don't think I could be with a person who is cheating to be with me. There's like, no long term prospects at all.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've never cheated, but have been cheated on.

It sucks and hurts, but I understand why it happens and never faulted the person for doing it. I've also never stayed in the relationship after because obviously I can't trust them and I'm not giving them something they're missing.

OP is a dick.

usea said:
I disagree. Nobody is perfect, but loyalty to a person who shits on others like that is wholly misplaced. I would definitely rat out a friend to his SO if I knew he was cheating. That shit is fucked up; people deserve better. If the friend ends our friendship over it, then they weren't a worthwhile friend to begin with. They're the one who fucked up; taking it out on me would be juvenile.

Relationships are complex and why a person cheats is never a simple answer either. Sometimes its best just to mind your own business.

esbern

some of you are absolutely insane. and probably even more won't ever admit that they've cheated before.

ScOULaris said:
I got douche chills.

ScOULaris

usea said:

This pretty much echoes whatever response I was about to type regarding the "loyalty to friends who cheat" issue. To be honest, I am not friends with the type of people who would cheat habitually, let alone expect me to keep their secret. All of my friends know this about be from the get-go, so they know what to expect.

In the case of my best friend, he understood my stance on the situation and told his girlfriend the next day. She rightfully dumped him and moved on. He knows to this day that I think he was a scumbag for doing it, but it's not like I completely condemned him as a friend.

I worked with too many drop-out thugs during my time as a valet attendant who had the "don't snitch" mentality. To them, having sex with women other than their girlfriend was just something that men do. Of course, if their girlfriend ever hooked up with someone else, there would be hell to pay. They were frequent reminders that your average, undereducated person is borderline human garbage.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Stay out of other people's business, OP.

ScOULaris

crimzonflame said:
Relationships are complex and why a person cheats is never a simple answer either. Sometimes its best just to mind your own business.
So what would be an "acceptable" reason for cheating? Being that it is incredibly hurtful, I could compare it to punching your significant other in the face. Would you justify socking your bf/gf in the mouth because they weren't meeting some kind of need in the relationship? Or would you just be a decent human being and break up with them?

I cheated once. I was out of the country, got drunk with some friends for my birthday, and ended up banging some hot Montreal chick I met.

I kept up with the lie for about two months, but then I found some msgs in her computer that imply she was recently unfaithful as well. So, I confronted her about it, yelled at her, wanted to kill her... But then I asked myself "why am I being a hypocrite?", and came clean. Tears were shed on both our parts, and we tried to work it out for a few months after that, but the damage was already done and we decided to part ways.

So yeah, I'm the perpetual bachelor now. No reservations about banging someone new because I'm avoiding relationships for now. Win/win!

As for the whole "if you don't tell them I will" shit, it really isn't any of your business and you need to get a life if you think it is. It's not your duty, White knight.

AcridMeat

Banned
Do you then rip a ripe one as you tell them you ratted them out? Circling around your friend, planting ass seeds which then erupt in a mushroom cloud of horrible odor?

abuC

ScOULaris said:

Damn bruh, I don't cheat and don't condone it, but at the same time I couldn't snitch on a friend. You better get your hand and ground game in order, cause someday someone is going to come at you like the bell just rang.

ScOULaris said:
So what would be an "acceptable" reason for cheating? Being that it is incredibly hurtful, I could compare it to punching your significant other in the face. Would you justify socking your bf/gf in the mouth because they weren't meeting some kind of need in the relationship? Or would you just be a decent human being and break up with them?

Where did I say it was acceptable? Im just saying sometimes its not your call to meddle in relationships of others. You seem to think cheating is something uneducated and poor (your words) people do.

RotBot

lethial said:
We were buddies and I was at a different stage in my life.
I'm glad you've moved to a new stage in your life, where you tell your girlfriends you'll murder them and hide their bodies if they cheat on you. Unless in your country, they put cheaters instead of missing persons on milk cartons. If that's the case, then that's kind of a weird thing to do.

ScOULaris

abuC said:
Damn bruh, I don't cheat and don't condone it, but at the same time I couldn't snitch on a friend. You better get your hand and ground game in order, cause someday someone is going to come at you like the bell just rang.
I've only ever had one friend in my entire life that has cheated, and I didn't go behind his back. He told me about it, knowing my stance on cheating, and then he confessed to his girlfriend himself.

I also don't have friends that would "come at me, bruh" for pretty much anything. I just want to reiterate that I generally don't make friends with scumbags.

OP, I feel like there is something you are not telling us. Did your Dad cheat on your Mom and you now hate all cheaters? Did your highschool sweetheart cheat on you with the captain of the lacrosse team? What is your real issue?

lethial

Reeeeeeee
RotBot said:
I'm glad you've moved to a new stage in your life, where you tell your girlfriends you'll murder them and hide their bodies if they cheat on you. Unless in your country, they put cheaters instead of missing persons on milk cartons. If that's the case, then that's kind of a weird thing to do.

I say that as a joke. ;) My gfs have said things way worse, again, all in good fun.

WJD

Never cheated and never been cheated on, but I've had to comfort friends that have been cheated on and then talk things through with friends who have cheated.

OP sounds like a self-righteous prat.

Ri'Orius

ScOULaris said:

Apparently I'm in the minority here, but I'd say this is an entirely reasonable policy. Props, bro.

My only remotely relevant story: I dated a girl for about a month and was extremely pleased with the relationship. She was cute, funny, outgoing, smart--it was wonderful. We weren't exclusive, but I had high hopes.

One night we're at my place. Chinese take-out, watching The Princess Bride. I get a phone call. I don't recognize the number, so I ignore it, but the same number calls back, so I pause the movie to answer it. Guy on the other side asks for the girl by name; I'm confused, and ask who he is. He says he's her boyfriend.

I hand the phone off to her, they talk for a while. She says there's been a misunderstanding, her ex has decided they're back together, and she better go find him before he beats my ass. When she leaves my apartment, he's standing right outside my door.

He shoves me around a bit. In his defense, he could have really hurt me, but didn't. His goal was clearly to scare me, and he was certainly successful. They leave and I call the police. Guy gets caught, spends the night in jail. The girl then tells me that she was lying: there wasn't a misunderstanding, she and the guy were still together, she just cheats on him regularly. She'll cheat, get caught, apologize, he takes her back, repeat. She knew it was messed up and apparently had been trying to break the cycle, but... yeah.

ScOULaris

Okay, I'm a prick/douche/asshole for thinking that CHEATING IS WRONG?

And no, nobody in my family has ever been (to my knowledge) a victim of cheating, nor have I.

I made this thread for people to share their stories as a means of shedding some light on situations in which people cheat. If there were more posts like that, maybe I might understand how there could be a circumstance where a victim of cheating doesn't deserve to be notified.

Get'sMad

Ri'Orius said:
He shoves me around a bit. In his defense, he could have really hurt me, but didn't. His goal was clearly to scare me, and he was certainly successful. They leave and I call the police. Guy gets caught, spends the night in jail. The girl then tells me that she was lying: there wasn't a misunderstanding, she and the guy were still together, she just cheats on him regularly. She'll cheat, get caught, apologize, he takes her back, repeat. She knew it was messed up and apparently had been trying to break the cycle, but... yeah.

she wanted you to kick his ass to win her over to prove your manhood

and you failed by snitching to the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom