• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chess wunderkind Trump threatens Comey on Twitter

Mahonay

Banned
I honestly doubt there are 'tapes' of any sort. I think Trump just threw that out there more to discredit Comey in the public eye. Sort of a; 'Hey this guy is totally dishonest, I had good reason to fire him, this is the real news wink wink.' All the while not realizing that he was basically threatening/blackmailing Comey with his tweet. Basically Trump being stupid putting his foot in his mouth while laughing up his sleeve as usual.

If there actually ARE tapes; in that unlikely event they probably don't even depict what Trump is suggesting. More than likely he probably remembers conversations wrong or mishears people, or just flat out doesn't comprehend what they are saying. If he asked Comey if he's investigating him, and Comey said something like; 'I wouldn't be allowed to talk about it if I was.' Trump probably took that to mean Comey wasn't investigating him.

If these Tapes exist they probably go to proving Trump wrong and more than likely will have Trump saying something else really stupid and self-incriminating on them. So in a way I hope there are tapes and that he foolishly releases them thinking they say one thing when they really say another.
A reporter during this press conference asked if the president was recording conversations in the Oval Office. Spicer was unable to deny the allegation.

A reporter during this press conference asked if the president was recording conversations in the Oval Office. Spicer was unable to deny the allegation.

i really think they are just trying to give non-answers so they dont call trump a liar and they dont paint themselves into a corner

Mahonay

Banned
i really think they are just trying to give non-answers so they dont call trump a liar and they dont paint themselves into a corner
It's a pretty huge allegation and to not be able to just say "no" to is significant.

I know it was Spicer's overall strategy to try to "no comment" and "I don't know!" questions today, but that one in particular holds a lot of weight.

Ow_the_edge.jpg

My head hurts.

Spicer: I think the president has been very clear. The tweet about X speaks for itself. X is just a statement of fact. X is just a manifestation of the president's dismay at the press looking for gotchas instead of talking about jobs. We have nothing further to add about X. That question has been asked and answered.

Sanders: I won't get into a back and forth about X.

Conway: I'll tell you what's X, why don't you care about Hillary/Obama/Dems doing Y that rhymes with X? This is just another example of the media missing the point. People don't care about X.

Lord: There is no X. But X is actually a good thing. America has a great tradition of X. Some of our greatest heros have X'd. Not X'ing would be just like appeasement to the Nazis.

CNN: BREAKING NEWS -- X! Here with us tonight is X and Not-X

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You tell me. He fired the man that's investigating him and thought that there would be no blowback.

He actually thought democrats would be HAPPY about it. The reaction caught them completely off guard. Which is one of the craziest things about the whole story. Who is he listening to? I think in some ways he's probably isolated himself from everyone except yes men so he's telling them his communication ideas and they're telling him those ideas are great.

It's the only explanation. A child could predict the Comey blowback.

He actually thought democrats would be HAPPY about it. The reaction caught them completely off guard. Which is one of the craziest things about the whole story. Who is he listening to? I think in some ways he's probably isolated himself from everyone except yes men so he's telling them his communication ideas and they're telling him those ideas are great.

It's the only explanation. A child could predict the Comey blowback.

Looks like it didn't

RinsFury

This is insanity, even for Trump. The President is actually threatening the ex-FBI director on twitter. How did we fall so hard?

commedieu

Banned
This is insanity, even for Trump. The President is actually threatening the ex-FBI director on twitter. How did we fall so hard?

Both sides are the same.

Bernie or bust.

No point to voting.

Jill stein will send a message to those fat cats!

Lol, I wrote in Harambe!!!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think we just need a, "Please proceed, Mr. President" tweet from Comey to cap off this week properly. My weekend would be made.

Of course they are. They think the whole Russia scandal is a liberal and mainstream media conspiracy cooked up to try to get Trump out of office.

It's amazing to me that the same idiots who buy into conspiracies like chemtrails don't see one unraveling right in front of their eyes. Just goes to show you they never cared about finding "the truth" they don't care unless their favorite pundits endorse a conspiracy theory.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Both sides are the same.

Bernie or bust.

No point to voting.

Jill stein will send a message to those fat cats!

Lol, I wrote in Harambe!!!

Yep, this about covers it. I'm almost as pissed off at purity test liberals as I am GOP voters, almost.

The writers have really outdone themselves in this season's House of Cards.

I can't wait to see how this season is going to wrap up. Will it be a cliff hanger or the big pay off that the audience is anticipating?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I believe it is, even with single party notification, it's probably a given in all meetings - but the point is that if Trump says Comey said something and confirms there's a tape of it, he'll have to produce that tape to confirm his story. And he probably doesn't want to do that.

This whole thing is astounding.

Yea I get it from that perspective. Like I said I just have always assumed it's standard procedure to record and/or otherwise document all the activity in the white house. Turning around and making threats with that information is insane though.

weekev

Banned
A tape that could be LEAKED about Trump? Sorry, I assume this joke has been made a bazillion times, gonna front up, I'm too lazy to read 20 pages to see how many times it's been made.

1484539427517.jpg

RinsFury

I have never hated anyone as much as I hate Trump, every day I wake up to his disgusting orange ass still living in the White House makes me seethe with rage. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope that this fucker will soon pay for everything he has done in full.

Dr.Acula

Banned
eof7y9i.png

For people still confused if this means Trump has tapes that contradict Comey and that Trump is threatening Comey, or if this means Trump thinks Comey has tape and is threatening Trump...

Trump is accusing Comey of taping only if 1) he allowed Comey to tape openly, in which case why wouldn't Trump also make a record, 2) Comey was secretly taping, which means Trump was not aware of Comey taping, in which case, what a weird statement to make based on no actual knowledge (unless we want to believe Comey makes secret tapes to later threaten people with).

There is also the weird phrasing that "Comey better hope there are no." "Hope" implying that any potential release of tapes are out of Comey's control.

Finally, Trump saying the Comey better "hope" "before he starts leaking to the press" implies that Trump believes any leaks Comey makes would be contradicted by tape. If Trump does not possess tape, he implies Comey would release tape that contradicts himself.

I have never hated anyone as much as I hate Trump, every day I wake up to his disgusting orange ass still living in the White House makes me seethe with rage. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope that this fucker will soon pay for everything he has done in full.

Thing for me is I hate him but hate everyone surrounding him even more. They aren't just letting a maniac run free, they're letting a maniac run free and doing their best to make sure no one stops him. I consider them worse for actually intellectually knowing better and doing nothing for the sake of their own gain. From the WH to the local government, I consider every Trump-supporting politician an irredimable human being

Socreges

Banned
eof7y9i.png

For people still confused if this means Trump has tapes that contradict Comey and that Trump is threatening Comey, or if this means Trump thinks Comey has tape and is threatening Trump...

Trump is accusing Comey of taping only if 1) he allowed Comey to tape openly, in which case why wouldn't Trump also make a record, 2) Comey was secretly taping, which means Trump was not aware of Comey taping, in which case, what a weird statement to make based on no actual knowledge (unless we want to believe Comey makes secret tapes to later threaten people with).

There is also the weird phrasing that "Comey better hope there are no." "Hope" implying that any potential release of tapes are out of Comey's control.

Finally, Trump saying the Comey better "hope" "before he starts leaking to the press" implies that Trump believes any leaks Comey makes would be contradicted by tape. If Trump does not possess tape, he implies Comey would release tape that contradicts himself.
This is also my reading of the tweet. It isn't an actual threat, it's a 'I've got tapes that will contradict you!' warning.

Ridiculous tweet, though.

I find myself hating Trump less with time because the man is almost beast-like in his inability to think anything through or to treat anybody with decency for non-narcissistic reasons. It's like getting mad at a gorilla because it ripped somebody's arm off. I hate the GOPers that are going along with him and embracing his various obliterations of truth far more.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Absolutely incredible that this many one a billion opportunities, one after another, fell into the lap of a man this incompetent, petulant and idiotic.

Just what a monumental waste of luck and opportunity. Think about what nearly any other human on Earth could have done with his inherited wealth, television celebrity, real estate connections and now presidential power. All of that squandered on this unqualified, undeserving buffoon.

If the stars were to align in just this way for just one life, why his?

Top Bottom