• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chess wunderkind Trump threatens Comey on Twitter

I bet there are tapes. They are of Comey refusing to pledge his loyalty to Trump. Trump is just so far up his own ass that he thinks that makes Comey look bad. The tapes will be released and Trumpers and Republicans will still defend him. Hopefully that will be the point where most rational people finally come to the conclusion that Republicans aren't just the other side, they are fascists.

cakely

I find myself hating Trump less with time because the man is almost beast-like in his inability to think anything through or to treat anybody with decency for non-narcissistic reasons. It's like getting mad at a gorilla because it ripped somebody's arm off. I hate the GOPers that are going along with him and embracing his various obliterations of truth far more.

The gorilla in question would be immediately caught, checked for infectious diseases and then put to death.

jstripes

Banned
I bet there are tapes. They are of Comey refusing to pledge his loyalty to Trump. Trump is just so far up his own ass that he thinks that makes Comey look bad. The tapes will be released and Trumpers and Republicans will still defend him. Hopefully that will be the point where most rational people finally come to the conclusion that Republicans aren't just the other side, they are fascists.

I think most rational people are already at that point.

DrkSage

Hahahah, ok, ok...

So first you fire the man...

Cancel a trip to the FBI cause they're not gonna greet you with hugs snd kisses...

And then you go on twitter and threaten the same man you fired saying there are "tapes" with dirt on the said man.

I'm sorry trump, but there are no tapes, you're just making those up to undermine comey

s6JUvma.png

Ah, the smartest of presidents. The smartest!

He makes W look like a genius.

commedieu

Banned
Maybe they aren't physical tapes.

But trumps own documents of meetings. Minutes if you will, scrawled in crayons and stained with juice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Of course there are. Why else do you think he'd write this specific a Tweet?
He wrote an equally specific tweet about being wiretapped by Obama but, when pressed on his source for that info, wound up saying it was just his opinion (CBS Dickerson interview). He tweets whatever feels true to him and being recorded is just, like, an opinon, man.

Zips

All this damage being done to the United States government, and all because the right-wing party decided to jump into bed with Trump once he seemed to gain popularity.

I hope the people of the United States never forget that it was the Republican party as a whole that was willing to destroy the country and the lives of many people within it to grasp power.

DOWN

Banned
This is also my reading of the tweet. It isn't an actual threat, it's a 'I've got tapes that will contradict you!' warning.

Ridiculous tweet, though.
How is that not a threat? A warning to someone that you can damage their credibility or blackmail them is a threat

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm sure when the time comes to evaluate these tapes, his law firm will send a certified letter asserting their authenticity with choice quotes from the tapes of Comey pledging his loyalty, with few exceptions.

We know Trump doesn't have shit on Comey. He is a known habitual liar and only hears what he wants to hear. Remember when Elijah Cummings said something to the effect of "Mr, president, you can be a great President IF you discontinue this divisive and harmful path your currently on". All Comrade Trump heard was "great president" and he ran with that quote saying Cummings was calling him a great president.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW if Trump doesn't tweet about Comey's refusal then ironically that shows he's relieved. But honestly he's so dumb there's no point applying the "what would I do in this situation?" thinking unless you're actually a potato.

eof7y9i.png

For people still confused if this means Trump has tapes that contradict Comey and that Trump is threatening Comey, or if this means Trump thinks Comey has tape and is threatening Trump...

Trump is accusing Comey of taping only if 1) he allowed Comey to tape openly, in which case why wouldn't Trump also make a record, 2) Comey was secretly taping, which means Trump was not aware of Comey taping, in which case, what a weird statement to make based on no actual knowledge (unless we want to believe Comey makes secret tapes to later threaten people with).

There is also the weird phrasing that "Comey better hope there are no." "Hope" implying that any potential release of tapes are out of Comey's control.

Finally, Trump saying the Comey better "hope" "before he starts leaking to the press" implies that Trump believes any leaks Comey makes would be contradicted by tape. If Trump does not possess tape, he implies Comey would release tape that contradicts himself.

There is another option, that Trump was taping and Comey didn't know, and whatever was said on the tapes would contradict what Comey is saying now. Thus Trump would be using it as a threat, "I hope you don't start leaking shit cause I have tapes that go against what you're leaking".

But yes all around a fucking weird thing to say

Jeremy

A lot of his voters are already saying this.

Yep. This is exactly how my parents feel and other people in my community. They think that we should find peace with Russia (and that Democrats are actively trying to make them an enemy), they think if Russia did interfere it was to prevent Hillary Clinton from leading us further into destruction post-Obama, and they're completely okay with how the Russian society functions and operates. I imagine they see Russia as a last strict, conservative, white haven.

He really can't help himself can he?

We're truly not far off from "so what if I worked with the Russians, is that really so bad? We all know how crooked Hillary was, and Putin just wanted to help!"

...and Hannity will concur.

I've honestly been waiting for that for a while. His base would likely agree with that sentiment anyway based on polls regarding Putin and Russia.

Jeremy

Yep. This is exactly how my parents feel and other people in my community. They think that we should find peace with Russia (and that Democrats are actively trying to make them an enemy), they think if Russia did interfere it was to prevent Hillary Clinton from leading us further into destruction post-Obama, and they're completely okay with how the Russian society functions and operates. I imagine they see Russia as a last strict, conservative, white haven.

To add even more to this, if you remember during Obama's terms, the right liked to use Putin as the antithesis of Obama, a strong, commandeering, lawful old white man who was the definition of bravery and honor. There's no way his base would not accept this without hesitation.

FyreWulff

it's still so goddamn weird and crazy how the Republicans went from "fuck dem ruskies" to "#1 PUTIN MEGAFAN" in like. a few years.

Nerazar

Buy them a flight ticket and let them explore the country. Or at least suggest a big nice family vacation there. People should move to Russia instead of trying to turn their own country into Russia.

Oersted

And? Control the narrative, don't parrot theirs.

I'm alarmed by the extent of faith many seem to have of republican voters. Trump could have demanded loyalty, and his base would applaud it. He could call for the arrest for Barack Obama tomorrow and they'd defend and rally for him.

How is it that you people expect anything remotely rationale from the group that to this day believes the 44th to be a Kenyan Muslim? How?

But we need to talk to these people.

MIMIC

Banned
I didn't read the tweet as a threat. I read it as a bluff. Trump knows that no tape exists, and is acting like one DOES exist, suggesting that if it comes out, it would exonerate him.

"You better hope there are no tapes [because they would show that you're lying]."

But I definitely see how it could be interpreted as a threat. I just didn't read it like that.

Mullah88

I didn't read the tweet as a threat. I read it as a bluff. Trump knows that no tape exists, and is acting like one DOES exist, suggesting that if it comes out, it would exonerate him.

"You better hope there are no tapes [because they would show that you're lying]."

But I definitely see how it could be interpreted as a threat. I just didn't read it like that.

how I see it too, drumpf being drumpf

epmode

I love how so much of what Trump says is open to interpretation because he's too much of an idiot to speak or write clearly.

The GOP might be even worse than Trump. They know better.

Top Bottom