• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicken Wings - Drums or Flats?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I like a ratio of two thirds drum for taste and meat and one third flats for mouthfeel and stripping experience. However I have recently become addicted to boneless thighs thanks to my Philips air fryer which is the wings messiah - crispy golden fried wings with no oil, just sorcery.

Faiz

no, a chicken nugget is chicken breast puree which is then breaded and fried. a boneless buffalo wing is a short chicken tender, meaning cut only once. it's the difference between a steak and ground chuck.

There are plenty of chicken nuggets on the market which are not ground/puréed.

Ernest

Banned
I like them both equally, but there's a wings place that doesn't chop the wings in half, and you get both a drum and a flat in the same piece, and they're "pieces" come out to the same price as other places "half" pieces, so it's a great deal!

nullref

Flats, for the skin, which is the whole point of chicken wings. My wife prefers drums, so that works out pretty well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
to clarify:

1. boneless -- for speed of consumption and most sauce-holding ability. also highest guarantee of a good product regardless of the outlet. drawback: you can't get them unbreaded / higher carbs.

2. flats -- dem crispy edges! drawbacks: that there's no great way to hold them, easier to burn them, and i'm not sure if there's something worse than burned flats.

3. drums -- i love that big chunk of meat around the top and the stick for holding make for a great dip. drawbacks: that gristle is nasty. i've had more bad drums ruined by the fat-to-meat ratio than anything.

gatling

If you want crunchy wings without frying them, after marinating them (if you choose to do that) coat them in butter, season them well, then pop them in an oven for 50 minutes at 425 on mid to top rack. (oven temps can vary) To get even crisp on both sides, elevate the wings on a rack with a pan beneath it to catch drippings. If you make mashed potatoes or rice or anything as a side, use the drippings in it.

If you're on a diet please ignore.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I am from the UK. What on earth is a flat?

xykllU6.jpg

Basically the not-drumsticks

daviyoung

Banned
Drums every time. Getting the meat out from between the two bones in a flat is a hassle if the meat isn't falling off the bone.

MastAndo

Drums. It's more meat per bite and just seems, and I'm all about that. I'm certainly not going to turn down wings because they aren't drums though...but I usually eat them like this and scarf them down, rather than nibbling at it;

483.gif

Dereck

For the people who think that boneless wings taste better than drums or flats, I'm embarrassed to be posting in the same thread as you tbh

smoothj

I get these salt and pepper chicken wings from this Chinese spot.... GOD DAMN SON! This thread has made me decide what I want for dinner.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Flats all day, every day. My favorite thing about WingStop, whose wings aren't fantastic but are serviceable, is that you can specify all flats in your order. Also, their Louisiana Rub flavor is pretty good.

I used to be a drum guy. But its just cause they were easier to eat. Now I find the flats have nore meat on them and are more fun to eat. Conseider me converted.

Top Bottom