• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicken Wings - Drums or Flats?

Flats all the way, especially when it comes to cheap pre-made bags at the grocery store. Drummies are just too fatty and have too much cartilage.

MazeHaze

Banned
I like em all, but the best way is to get a bunch of legs from the store and slather them in your favorite sauce or dry rub.

Flats. The meat tends to be tastier, as well you get all that surface area for sauce or rub.

Damn... Now I really want some hot honey mustard wings.

nomster

If you want crunchy wings without frying them, after marinating them (if you choose to do that) coat them in butter, season them well, then pop them in an oven for 50 minutes at 425 on mid to top rack. (oven temps can vary) To get even crisp on both sides, elevate the wings on a rack with a pan beneath it to catch drippings. If you make mashed potatoes or rice or anything as a side, use the drippings in it.

If you're on a diet please ignore.
Just to add to this - this simple recipe works really well for "oven frying". Just have to do some prep a day in advance.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/02/the-best-buffalo-wings-oven-fried-wings-recipe.html

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Flats.

Drums have a problem where they dry out faster.

Drums.

And boneless doesn't compare. Is it easier to ingest? Yes. It's just a flavored chicken nugget. But the way the skin on the drums gets fried, crisps, and provides flavor is unmatchable.

DJ_Lae

Flats. They're like little chicken thighs with the perfect ratio of meat to skin to bone.

Drums are like eating gristle.

Thankfully some companies are now starting to sell just the flats, though you pay more for the superior choice.

Flats.

Drums always have that little nub of rubber at the end and they seem more prone to having all those big blue and red veins and what not in them.

Even if they didn't, flats are just easier to eat. You can even do that one handed "picked clean" maneuver. Flats all day.

I would normally say boneless but for a while now it seems that boneless make my day-after-wings ass burn way worse. Must be the breading.

Viewt

Both have their advantages. In terms of the quality of the meat, it's flats. The extra bone in there gives it a juicier taste, no question. But drums usually have a little char on them to add a satisfying crunch, and if you've never been properly taught to eat flats, drums are easier to work through.

Both are great, though. Really, wings in general are great.

EDIT: Also, boneless wings aren't wings - they're tenders. Which is fine - I like tenders. But they're not wings.

Top Bottom