• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's President has urged Trump to show restraint in dealing with North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe both spoke with Trump by phone on Monday amid concerns Pyongyang might carry out another nuclear test this week, in defiance of UN sanctions.

According to a statement from the Chinese foreign ministry, Xi told Trump that China opposes any actions that run counter to UN Security Council resolutions.

"[China] hopes that all relevant sides exercise restraint, and avoid doing anything to worsen the tense situation on the peninsula," Xi was paraphrased as saying.

"We agreed to strongly demand that North Korea, which is repeating its provocation, show restraint," Abe told reporters Monday, adding that he and Trump also agreed China should play a larger role in dealing with Pyongyang.

More here

http://m.dw.com/en/china-calls-for-restraint-as-us-carrier-group-nears-korean-waters/a-38557381

Lock if old

Because if Trump knows anything, it's restraint.

Those in Hawaii, Alaska, and on the West Coast of the US...I'd recommend starting to evacuate.

GeeTeeCee

Another week, another foreign leader having to remind Trump to try and act like a diplomat and not an unruly child demanding to sit at the big boy's table.

He's going to do the exact opposite, isn't he?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Now that we have covered history in our last lesson, young Donald, today's lesson is all about restraint and patience.

enewtabie

Same generic message that is sent out on every occassion. China needs to take this one. I hope they called NK and told them to stop threatening Nuclear War and threatening to attack carriers, or arresting US citizens,etc

Snaku

Banned
China's been enabling their bullshit for decades. There's going to be a point where they can't walk this back.

DeSo

Banned
Nothing will happen as long as NK doesn't instigate anything. And they won't because they know they'll be annihilated as soon as they do.

Call me crazy but Trump isn't the bad guy when it comes to this situation.

Attacking NK can lead to new problems that would hit China and South Korea the most.

So yeah, bombing your problems from far away where you don't feel the afthermath as much as others does make him a bad guy in a way. (or lets say a crazy one)

NK is a terrible place and the people are suffering and it needs to be dealt with, but I doubt a trigger happy manchild is the right person to do it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
China's been enabling their bullshit for decades. There's going to be a point where they can't walk this back.
Yup. China is bullshitting everyone. They use NK and Pakistan as proxies to annoy other countries while acting as the good guy and enjoying benefits of trade.

Nothing will happen as long as NK doesn't instigate anything. And they won't because they know they'll be annihilated as soon as they do.

Yes but the definition of instigate is what?

If that happens to be to continue to advance their nuclear capabilities then they will continue to instigate.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. China is bullshitting everyone. They use NK and Pakistan as proxies to annoy other countries while acting as the good guy and enjoying benefits of trade.
But eventually they will get their ass bit, either by NK going way out of line, or militants hitting their logistics hubs in Pakistan or wherever. China will learn that trade has a price and you cant always be the good guy. And if they fail in any area, at a geopolitical risk, then questions will be asked in the CPC aboug his leadership and policies.

yes, let an insane dictator promising the united states' destruction through nuclear weapons demonstrate the capacity to do so. how close does he expect the US to let NK get? wait until the missiles start making their way across the ocean?

as depressing as it is, this is not a situation where you can afford to look back and wish you had done something earlier. trump is an egotisitcal cheeto with dog shit for brains but he's not the bad guy in this situation. China telling the US to be patient and "wait and see" is bullshit as if the strongest military in the world will bend to them while risking the potential for their own nuclear destruction.

China has sat on NK for way, way too long and wagging their finger at the US for maybe having to step in for self preservation is ridiculous

LordOfChaos

Yep. You enabled this shit, China, I really dislike Trump but I'm half glad he seems so insane that Chinas betting a bit nervous.

Last time they turned back coal shipments (which made global press) businesses were still working with North Korea, so it's been a lot of managing international media to make it look like they're the good guys but with the other hand still keeping the regime afloat.

It's complicated, I understand, they don't want 25 million refugees, but the nuclear program and ICBMs enabling the continual enslavement of their people is just evil.

Majine

Banned
Well, if anything, maybe China and Japan can build better relations as they help eachother to cool down Trump.

MarveI

Is showing restraint really going to be the best outcome ? Another 10 years means NK will just be getting stronger and stronger and its leader doesn't really strike me as someone who will show restraint too if we do. I feel like it's not going to be long before they start their attack.

Tovarisc

Is there even plan for dealing with humanitarian crisis that will follow leveling of NK?

It already is one, but removing leadership would force world actually deal with North Korean people and help them.

Xando

Is there even plan for dealing with humanitarian crisis that will follow leveling of NK?

It already is one, but removing leadership would force world actually deal with North Korean people and help them.
Of course there isn't. Just look at this thread and all the warmongering posts that show complete ignorance of the consequences such an attack would have for east asia.
Why care though there is a whole ocean between korea and the US.

Yep. You enabled this shit, China, I really dislike Trump but I'm half glad he seems so insane that Chinas being a bit nervous.

Last time they turned back coal shipments (which made global press) businesses were still working with North Korea, so it's been a lot of managing international media to make it look like they're the good guys but with the other hand still keeping the regime afloat.

It's complicated, I understand, they don't want 25 million refugees, but the nuclear program and ICBMs enabling the continual enslavement of their people is just evil.

Neither of those things enable the latter. What does that is an autocratic government with a particular ideology and a "strong" military.

Aint just china that's being a bit nervous either. People in Seoul are most likely shitting bricks since, yknow, they're the ones that are most likely to die due to a US military stunt.

Of course there isn't. Just look at this thread and all the warmongering posts that show complete ignorance of the consequences such an attack would have for east asia.
Why care though there is a whole ocean between korea and the US.

A-yurp. "we gon take out the propped up boogeyman that's been a sane actor for decades and fuck the consequences. but we the good guys rite?".

Is showing restraint really going to be the best outcome ? Another 10 years means NK will just be getting stronger and stronger and its leader doesn't really strike me as someone who will show restraint too if we do. I feel like it's not going to be long before they start their attack.

He has been doing exactly that for half a decade now. Far more restraint than The Don has managed to show in his 100 days in power. Low standards, i know, but that's wot the situation is.

danowat

Banned
Call me crazy but Trump isn't the bad guy when it comes to this situation.

Yet.

This is China and Japan's backyard (as well as South Korea obviously), they are the ones that'll have to deal with the fallout (sic) if Trump decides to wade in balls out.

If a nuclear program is such a bad thing, why are Israel, India and Pakistan allowed to have them? (amongst others)

ChryZ

We have a president that literally needs babysitters.

eOoBIoG.jpg
Latest cover of German Mag "Der Spiegel" :S

LordOfChaos

Neither of those things enable the latter. What does that is an autocratic government with a particular ideology and a "strong" military.

Aint just china that's being a bit nervous either. People in Seoul are most likely shitting bricks since, yknow, they're the ones that are most likely to die due to a US military stunt.

Working nukes and ICBMs assure the north korean regime that no one is going to step in against their human rights abuses, i.e thousands in work camps over political disagreement.

From what I've seen people in Seoul are the most "oh, this shit again? Time to go shopping" about this. If there was military action, of course, they would be a lot more nervous, but dick waving has been going on for decades.

I don't know, Trump might listen. For some reason he seems to actually listen to foreign leaders who he has positioned himself in a needlessly antagonistic manner toward, despite not listening to actual allies, compatriots, third parties, or children espousing basic common sense.

Tovarisc

Working nukes and ICBMs assure the north korean regime that no one is going to step in against their human rights abuses, i.e thousands in work camps over political disagreement.

They have barely working nukes and only dreams about ICBM's, but world has done shit. No one wants to deal with humanitarian crisis that will follow of removing NK leadership.

Not surprised if US just grinds NK into dust and leaves region to deal with following crisis alone.

From what I've seen people in Seoul are the most "oh, this shit again? Time to go shopping" about this. If there was military action, of course, they would be a lot more nervous, but dick waving has been going on for decades.

Holding seoul hostage is what has done that and continues to do that.

Working nukes and icbm's are just additional assurance that fuckstupid countries don't enact fuckstupid plans to create fucked up scenarios for no clear gain. Is standard MAD escalation. Precisely for the case where a foreign actor is so god damn fuckstupid that they think that yknow what, fuck seoul, KJU must be removed, and fuck the costs since we aint the ones that gon have to bear them.

But eventually they will get their ass bit, either by NK going way out of line, or militants hitting their logistics hubs in Pakistan or wherever. China will learn that trade has a price and you cant always be the good guy. And if they fail in any area, at a geopolitical risk, then questions will be asked in the CPC aboug his leadership and policies.
You should send this post to the Chinese government. I'm sure they have never considered the risks.

Yep. China is full of shit on this topic. The last thing they want is NK to stop being a pawn for them to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom