• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Trump asked Xi Jinping to help intervene after UCLA players arrests in China

JettDash

Why would I use the word "allegedly" if I make a general statement? And what has that even to do with China's legal system?

It doesn't matter what I think as I'm not a citizen of that country. Therefore, I don't whine about or meddle with it. If some country punishes shoplifting by cutting off the offender's hands, then that's their thing.

I don't care in the slightest about him.

Congrats on managing to care less about American citizens than Donald fucking Trump. Quite an accomplishment.

Lucumo

Congrats on managing to care less about American citizens than Donald fucking Trump. Quite an accomplishment.

Trump is the president of the US while I have no connection whatsoever to the US...so, uh? Didn't realize narcissism is this strong these days...

Link1110

The main purpose of the United States government is to protect its citizens. If the President can save three Americans from facing gross injustice at the hands of a foreign government merely by asking its leader to intervene, I would argue he has the moral obligation to do so.

And yes spending up to ten years in a Chinese prison for shoplifting is a grossly unjust punishment. I mean, you'd probably get a slap on the wrist in the US if you didn't have a record and we don't exactly have the most just system in the world.

Are some of you really so authoritarian that you believe 3-10 years in prison for shoplifting is a just punishment simply because that's what the Chinese government decided it is?

Anyway, Trump did the right thing. He may well have saved these kids from having their lives completely ruined over shoplifting. He probably only did it to make himself look good but so what.
As an American living in China, yes it is. As long as I'm living here in under their rules. If I don't like that I can go back to America. Helps that I'm not such an insane klepto and I can actual control myself whenever I go into a store.

Of course, I guess it's not just Trump that can get away with shooting someone in the middle of fifth avenue anymore. For anyone with a conscience, this is just OJ for a new era.

JettDash

Trump is the president of the US while I have no connection whatsoever to the US...so, uh? Didn't realize narcissism is this strong these days...

My mistake.

If they were citizens of your country, would you rather them rot in a Chinese prison or for government to help them? If the former, you still manage to be worse than Trump, so congrats.

As an American living in China, yes it is. As long as I'm living here in under their rules. If I don't like that I can go back to America. Helps that I'm not such an insane klepto and I can actual control myself whenever I go into a store.

I guess good for you if you never impulsively made a bad decision as a teenager. Somehow In doubt that your authoritarianism is so strong that if an American that you care about was facing prison for something minor (by sane standards) that you would rather them rot than the US government intervening. If I am wrong, well I'm glad I'm not friends with anyone like you.

Of course, I guess it's not just Trump that can get away with shooting someone in the middle of fifth avenue anymore. For anyone with a conscience, this is just OJ for a new era.

So not being harshly punished for shoplifting is the same and getting away with murder? Because they are both crimes? LOL. I've gotten with countless crimes (mostly drugs). I guess that's the same level of injustice as if I got away with murder. More so given the frequency.
Maybe I should buy a bunch of drugs and take them to the cops so I can be sent to prison where I belong.

BANGS

Banned
Trump was going to grant one wish to the African-American community and freakin LiAngelo Ball wastes it. Trump will keep pointing to this pardon whenever he is criticized on race going forward.

Yeah that... and all the his inner city funding...

I was in voice chat last night playing D2 with some randoms and some young man brought up the topic about this and was all "it's good Trump did something." and he also follow it up with "we can't have an American citizen sit in jail for 5 years in another country." I kinda lectured him about how Chinese isn't North Korea and in no point through out the whole incident would the kid be in serious danger of being put in jail. I hate this whole thing.

If I were the coach of the UCLA team.. I would be pissed with my players for doing something so stupid. In another country on top of that. Those 3 kids are idiots. There is no way you can build a case for the 3 of them unless you use the "they are kids and made a stupid mistake."

Probably lucky that Trump was there, because I don't see them coming home that quick if he was not.

On a side note... I would sit the players for several games as there needs to be a punishment.

aaronsan

Banned
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!

Sorry, Altered Beast reference, dates me....

I just wanted to say that I change my position since they admitted they DID shoplift. My distrust of China's legal system was behind my support of "rescuing" them. What the fuck were they thinking?

More evidence not to treat athletes as role models....

Ubername

Banned
I just wanted to say that I change my position since they admitted they DID shoplift. My distrust of China's legal system was behind my support of "rescuing" them. What the fuck were they thinking?

More evidence not to treat athletes as role models....

What the fuck were they thinking for shoplifting or for admitting shoplifting?

Top Bottom