• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's President has urged Trump to show restraint in dealing with North Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

He might want to also give Trump a dictionary so he can look up the word, cause if there is one thing Trump doesn't know the definition to (among a lot of words actually) it's restraint

rpmurphy

Trump doesn't even know that Kim Jong Il has passed away. We should all be telling Trump to fuck off until he actually has basic knowledge.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Trump, China, and NK are like when your new friend meets your family and you have that one crazy cousin always trying to start drama or fights, except your new friend is ready to fight back. That's when China says "chill bro, that's my cousin he's always acting like that, just ignore him" when he should be calling his cousin out on his BS instead.

Real Hero

Is showing restraint really going to be the best outcome ? Another 10 years means NK will just be getting stronger and stronger and its leader doesn't really strike me as someone who will show restraint too if we do. I feel like it's not going to be long before they start their attack.
Attack who and why?

kmfdmpig

Is showing restraint really going to be the best outcome ? Another 10 years means NK will just be getting stronger and stronger and its leader doesn't really strike me as someone who will show restraint too if we do. I feel like it's not going to be long before they start their attack.

North Korea has shown quite a bit of restraint,however, which is why the Korean War has not restarted in 50 years. They do enough to keep others on their toes and give off the appearance of being dangerous, but haven't really done anything that would lead one to believe they're not a rationale actor. That doesn't mean that I am happy that they'll have nuclear weapons, but it does mean that I don't think they would just launch a nuke at the US, Japan or SK for shits and giggles.

TalonJH

Call me crazy but Trump isn't the bad guy when it comes to this situation.

He's not the bad guy. He's just in a situation that requires finesse... and he has none what so ever. China knows NK is a problem(they still need them but Kim is a problem for them as well) and are just reminding him not to do anything dumb.

Darkangel

Of course China doesn't want to lose their "buffer".

It's bad enough that Pakistan was able to develop a nuclear weapons program, let alone North Korea. I'm not qualified to make a statement on what "should" be done, but this could be one of those situations where you look back and wish you had done something while you still had the chance.

proto

Poor South Korea. They must really be panicking. Seoul is 25 miles away from the North Korean Border. If anything goes down: US attack on NK, or botched NK missile test or whatever, South Korea is fucked either way.

BlitzKeeg

Last week NPR mentioned that North Korea has been a problem for the United States for about 50 years now IIRC.

It's been a problem that hasn't been solved and won't be solved in one term. Especially by a fucking idiot that can't go the day without tweeting something stupid with tons of spelling errors.

China is basically saying "please stop, you're stupid and you're going to kill millions if you aren't careful" because they know that Trump has no experience on this.

Besides, as others have mentioned in this thread, the US doesn't experience the fallout from conflict in NK. It falls on the shoulders of SK, China, and Japan, so if anything the US should be working with them to maintain peace as long as possible.

It's time to stop being the world police.

Kerensky

Banned
Same generic message that is sent out on every occassion. China needs to take this one. I hope they called NK and told them to stop threatening Nuclear War and threatening to attack carriers, or arresting US citizens,etc

Worse, they stopped buying korea's primary export product: coal.

My guess is that Beijing is playing the waiting game and get them back on the table when their little tantrum is over.

4Tran

Same generic message that is sent out on every occassion. China needs to take this one. I hope they called NK and told them to stop threatening Nuclear War and threatening to attack carriers, or arresting US citizens,etc
Beijing doesn't have, and never did have, all that much sway over North Korea.

Last week NPR mentioned that North Korea has been a problem for the United States for about 50 years now IIRC.

It's been a problem that hasn't been solved and won't be solved in one term. Especially by a fucking idiot that can't go the day without tweeting something stupid with tons of spelling errors.

China is basically saying "please stop, you're stupid and you're going to kill millions if you aren't careful" because they know that Trump has no experience on this.
To be fair, China would say the same thing no matter who was the US president. It's more needful in this case because of Trump, but their sentiments aren't really affected by that.

enewtabie

They don't quit do they? NK website saying they are going to wipe out the US now. At least they are creative. I do think this will be the time something does go down.

Xando

They don't quit do they? NK website saying they are going to wipe out the US now. At least they are creative. I do think this will be the time something does go down.

They have been saying they'll wipe out SK and the US for the last 50 years. Only this time we have someone who takes their bait in the white house

Timbuktu

Poor South Korea. They must really be panicking. Seoul is 25 miles away from the North Korean Border. If anything goes down: US attack on NK, or botched NK missile test or whatever, South Korea is fucked either way.

I don't quite understand why the SK capital and the majority of the population is still so close to the NK border when there is plenty of space south of the country.

guek

Banned
Xi right now

tenor.gif

Call me crazy but Trump isn't the bad guy when it comes to this situation.

he's not at all

North Korea is a very real threat and really this is the only time to deal with them, however that may be. Once they get the nuclear capabilities they want, which they don't have now but are progressing rapidly, no country on Earth will have any leverage against them

I don't quite understand why the SK capital and the majority of the population is still so close to the NK border when there is plenty of space south of the country.

should they pick up the city and move farther away?

guek

Banned

Nope. SK has other problems at the moment. NK has been beating their chests for decades without anything major to show for it. South Koreans are completely numb to this.

WiseguyMVP

China, one of the largest economies in the world...along with the US. The US trade TONS with them. The WORLD economy and peace depends on these two nations diplomacy.

North Korea, not so much for the trade part. And that's a shame because look at how much South Korea contributes. Imagine if they unified Korea with an open society and got rid of the knucklehead? The west can't be the only ones that sees this family as a world threat, obviously.

And so, why doesn't China tell NK to cool it with the rhetoric? There's has to be some ulterior motives at play of course. Ugh,

4Tran

And so, why doesn't China tell NK to cool it with the rhetoric? There's has to be some ulterior motives at play of course. Ugh,
They did. You do realize that China cut off coal shipments from North Korea for a reason, right?

Ive honestly been wondering where the targets would be in the US but was almost afraid to ask.
There are no targets in the US because North Korea doesn't have an effective delivery vehicle.

Dehnus

So many war mongers in this thread.

Do you really think you guys can just march in and take it? I mean the military they have is bigger than what Iraq and Afghanistan had combined! On top of that they will use poison gas and bio weapons when pressed to defense.

Even if they won't blow up a nuke right under your feet as you invade, they will still gas people. You're looking at THOUSANDS of soldiers dead. Far more than in Iraq or Afghanistan. The land is also not hospitable, and the people living there have Stockholm Syndrome for the Kim Family.

Really this will never go well to invade North Korea by force, they tried before. I know people think Alan Alda has one more season in him, but Mash 2 simply is not going to happen. Just let it go, and try to solve it with a culture war rather than an actual one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom