• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Choose 5 Definitive games of a console based on user name.

Archtreyz

Switch
So I guess I'll do games that I already know are great
1. Skyrim
2. Mario Kart 8
3. Disgaea 5
4. I Am Setsuna
5. Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth

Hm, I'm not really sure how to answer this because what does definitive mean in this context? Best games by standards in terms of sales, or production quality...or games that I personally think are great?

my name starts with H, and I guess that means I'd have to do PS3.

If I had to pick 5 titles for the system in no particular order:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 - as much as some people think the ending of this game was stupid, I loved every minute of this game. This game just did everything I wanted it to, and it was pretty awesome in every aspect.

2. Tales of Graces f - This is the only game in the series I have played to completion, and I loved my time with it. I often read on sites like this that people seem to hate the story and characters, but I loved all of that stuff. The fact the combat was great was just icing on the cake, but I thought everyone was likable in their own ways, and I liked where the story went.

3. The Last of Us - I hesitate to put this on the list for PS3, because the superior PS4 version eventually came out. I still played this through on PS3 though, and I just was so damn impressed with every aspect of this game. I don't think much more needs to be said about it, except even with it's lower graphical fidelity on PS3, it still looked amazing.

4. Demon's Souls - Not my favorite entry in this genre of game, but I can't deny the effect that this game had on me, and every other gamer out there. It felt cool discovering this Japanese game we could only import for a while, and then the genre blew up with Dark Souls. Demon's Souls was great, but it's not my favorite in the genre after all this time though.

5. Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Again, not sure if I should have this because it was multiplatform, but for me, it was an important title. Final Fantasy XIII was a major disappointment to me, and many others I think, when it came out. It had somethings right, but a lot of things wrong with it. I felt XIII-2 addressed all of that. It still had some of the baggage from the previous game, but it really did a great job of turning around my opinion on that series. Gave us a chance to actually enjoy the combat that the first game introduced, and gave us a lot more than a narrow hallway to walk down. I thought Serah and Noel were likable characters, and while the story was a bit confusing, that's kinda what I loved about it. It took some bold steps that may have been a bit much for people to digest, but once you wrap your head around it, can be pretty cool. I thought it wrapped up with an awesome end with Lightning Returns, which was also good, but not as good as XIII-2.

P: Dreamcast!

1. Shenmue
2. Jet Set Radio
3. House of the Dead 2
4. Street Fighter 3: Third Stirke
5. Soul Calibur... no wait, Powerstone!... or maybe Crazy Taxi?... Ikaruga? DAMNIT 5 IS NOT ENOUGH!

WhyMe6

I got the Wii, a wonderful console that unfortunately had a weaker lineup than other Nintendo consoles, in my mind. It had so many unique, exclusive "decent" games though, games that had glaring flaws but still presented the player with a unique experience. I didn't include those sorts of games in this list though, I included my personal "definitive" list of games for the Wii (there really isn't much competition though, poor Wii and it's weak library).

1. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Metroid: Other M
5. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Can I group the Mario Galaxy games together? Then I can fit Xenoblade in ;)

SMD

Just a simple game: You will pick 5 definitive games for a console based on the first letter of your NeoGAF user name

Oh WILL I? The Saturn would've been more fun but oh well.

Playstation:

Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 7
Tekken 2
Gran Turismo
ISS Pro Evolution

It's hard to pick just 5 titles because of the volume of games that you could say really define the platform. Grand Theft Auto, Castlevania, TOCA, Wipeout 2097, Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk's, Syphon Filter, Crash, Spyro, Rayman, Time Crisis... There are so many.

So why those five? I guess it's because those were the games that give the Playstation its identity, both then and now.

Metal Gear is one of those games that absolutely exploded in popularity and endured. Games had ambition to deliver that sense of blockbuster and MGS was definitely huge.

Final Fantasy 7. You might not think it's the best or the most impressive but what it represents means it has to be on the list. I don't remember a JRPG being so big worldwide before this. People who never played them or since were swept up in the hype. Obviously the PC version was better but it always belonged to Sony in the hearts and minds of the masses.

Tekken and Virtua Fighter was pretty much the new Mario vs Sonic. You couldn't not have a version of this and Tekken 2 vs Virtua Fighter 2 was probably the most heated debate just before Sony crushed the life out of Sega.

Gran Turismo was a behemoth like no other. A 3D driving simulator on console to that level of fidelity? It absolutely smashed it.

ISS Pro Evolution was the game football fans dreamt of having on console, it thoroughly dismantled FIFA with its approximation of how football feels. Being Sony exclusive as well meant that to get the best football, driving, fighting and RPG titles on console, you had to go Sony and these were the go to titles.

Fuck, what a generation.

Banned
I start with two digits lol. Guess I'm k.

So Nintendo DS?

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Ace Attorney
The World Ends With You

Gartooth

G. Nintendo Wii

This Nintendo console I had the biggest love/hate relationship with. I absolutely love my top 5 games, but then consider a ton of the games in the system's library to be a huge disappointment. (Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Brawl, Mario Kart Wii)

1. Super Mario Galaxy
This is in my top 3 favorite games of all time. Playing it for the first time felt like pure magic and to this day it still has the greatest presentation and wonder in a Mario game. The gravity mechanics blew my mind and the sky wasn't even the limit for this game.

2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
A game that's level design manages to surpass that of the first. It is more of Super Mario Galaxy, and coming from a game of that caliber it easily lands in as the second best.

3. Xenoblade Chronicles
A hidden gem that I am so glad I got to play in North America. It has to be the best surprise I have had from a JRPG in years. A perfect swan song for the system.

4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
I have a ridiculous amount of nostalgia with Donkey Kong. The original DKC was one of the earliest gaming memories I had, and Retro brought back the return I was looking for.

5. Metroid Prime Trilogy
One of the best gaming collections ever made. A loving tribute from Retro Studios to the Prime trilogy and the series as a whole. Prime 3 alone would have made it to #5 but introducing the definitive versions of Prime 1 and 2 is the cherry on top.

I'm W obviously. *Twitches at GB/GBC being counted as one system.*

1: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
2: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
3: Wario Land
4: Pokemon Yellow
5: Pokemon Crystal

Xscapist

Sega Master System

1. Phantasy Star
  2. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
  3. Ys: The Vanished Omens
  4. Wonder Boy In Monster World
  5. Alex Kidd In Miracle World

Seik

Banned
S: Playstation! (Yeah!)

-Final Fantasy VII
-Vanguard Bandits
-Crash Bandicoot 2
-Thunderforce V
-Mega Man X4

aadiboy

Switch

-The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Metroid V
-Donkey Kong Country: K.Rool Returns!
-Pokémon Stars

Aru

Switch. Probably the games I'd buy for it:
- The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
- Fire Emblem Heroes
- Fire Emblem 2018
- Super Mario Odyssey
- Shin Megami Tensei Switch

A: Nintendo Switch (wheee)

1 - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2 - Super Mario Odyssey
3 - Uhh...
4 - Uhh...
5 - Oh God...

Still getting mine at launch.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I got the Nintendo DS, which I never owned. So from the outside looking in, here's what stands out to me:

1. New Super Mario Bros: A big deal when it came out -- a new (controversial) visual style for the series and established an embarrassing precedent in naming games
2. Elite Beat Agents: the buzz around this game and/or Osu Tatakae Ouendan was immense. A clever implementation of touch controls in a rhythm game, which was a relatively new concept if I'm not mistaken
3. Dragon Quest IX: A major home console series takes a hard left turn and goes all-in on a handheld. To this day, that's pretty nuts.
4. The World Ends With You: Again, clever implementation of the hardware. I might have the timing off, but I seem to recall this game setting the tone for (or establishing the DS as) a destination for RPGs
5. Kirby Canvas Curse: I seem to remember this game effectively proving the concept of the DS as a whole. I recall people being legitimately impressed with the touchscreen integration and how fun the game was

I recently got a 2DS and several of these games are on my short list of games to play

F: Nintendo 3DS

Pokémon Sun and Moon
Animal Crossing New Leaf
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS

I got the Wii fucking U....

Never even owned one...

No particular order

1. Mario 3D World
2. Smash Wii U
3. Bayonetta 1+2
4. Nintendo Land
5. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Skipped MK8 cus its on Switch now.

Playstation 4

DmC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition
Bloodborne
Alien Isolation
The Evil Within
Guitar Hero Live

I don't even like TEW and I have GHL on Xbox, but I feel that they're just so... special that they have to be on the list. TEW for its unforgettable, yet charming, atrociousness and Guitar Hero Live for being the most immersive game I've ever played since Silent Hill 2.

grimmiq

G: Nintendo Wii

1. Xenoblade Chronicles
2. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Smash Bros Brawl
4. Wii Sports
5. LoZ Skyward Sword

Edit: Totally forgot that NeoGAF is the only thing on the internet where I have a different user name. Oh well.

OG Xbox:

Halo 1 and/or 2
Ninja Gaiden
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Jade Empire
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Special shoutout to Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay for just missing the cut. This was both hard, because there are some great OG Xbox games missing, but easy because literally the first 5 (or technically 6) games that I thought of were ultimately what I think were the best on the console.

I got the best console: Xbox 360

1. Ninja Gaiden II
2. Mushihimesama Futari
3. Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra
4. Akai Katana Shin
5. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Super Nintendo......SEGA GENESIS WHEN I WAS DEAD BROKE MAN I COULDN'T PICTURE THIS....sorry, force of habit every time someone says "Super Nintendo".

My Picks:

1. Super Mario World
2. Street Fighter II
3. Donkey Kong Country
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time
5. Super Mario Kart

wvan13

Gameboy/Gameboy Color? In no particular order:

1 - Pokemon Yellow - Chose Yellow because of course Having a Pikachu follow you around? Awesome.
2 - Oracle of Ages/Seasons - Lumping them together. Because c'mon.
3 - Kirby's Dream Land - I loved Kirby so much as a kid that I made little Kirby dolls out of paper, staples, and toilet paper stuffing.
4 - Super Mario Land -At least when I was a kid this game was really important to me, even though I never managed to beat it.
5 - Tetris - The only game on this list for definitive reasons. The rest are all personal choices.

As I went on I realized this was more a "personal top 5" rather than definitive games.

Goldboy

Nintendo Wii, this should be easy.

In no particular order,

1. Super Mario Galaxy
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
5. Escape from Bug Island

Zasa

Z) PC

Oofta, this is a tough one. No order:
1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Diablo 2
3. Overwatch
4. Age of Empires 2
5. Civilization 5

I'm sorry Heroes of Might & Magic III :(

B) Xbox One
Goddamnt it the one system I don't own XD

Ok let's see

1. Forza Horizon 3
2. Ori and the Blind Forest
3. Sunset Overdrive
4. Halo 5
5. Gears of War 4

Dad

1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
2. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
3. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
4. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
5. Pikmin 3

Lupo

Neo Member
L) Gamecube

1. Metroid Prime
2. Super Smash bros. Melee
3. Resident Evil 4
4. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
5. Can't decide between Pikmin 2 or Metroid Prime 2

requiem02

Banned
Saturn

1. Virtua Fighter 2
2. Nights Into Dreams
3. Panzer Dragoon Saga
4. Radiant Silvergun
5. Guardian Heroes

Shout-out to some very solid ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D.

Playstation Vita:

1.) Persona 4 Golden
2.) Danganronpa 1+2
3.) Gravity Rush
4.) Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
5.) Killzone: Mercenaries

Top Bottom