• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromecast |OT|

Welp. Day one.

There goes my Ouya and any other Android device out there that's being used for video, audio and music streaming.

EDIT: Buy now and get 3 months of Netflix included!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ndQ7eOI.png

I have more than enough streaming devices but being able to stream a chrome tab would be fantastic, even more so if I can stream an open tab I'm not currently viewing.

e_i

Let me get this straight, a HDMI dongle that works with practically every Android phone, tablet, iPad, or computer? And it's only $35? HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

BOUGHT.

Welp. Day one.

There goes my Ouya and any other Android device out there that's being used for video, audio and music streaming.

EDIT: Buy now and get 3 months of Netflix included!

Why? If you use the Ouya for XBMC then it still is better as the Chromecast doesn't *Currently* support streaming from local content (servers, NAS, external drives).

Bentendo

No, it's not even a full media box, only supports Google apps and Netflix.

For now. They are hoping for more support in the future. Pandora already a confirmed partner. Once this thing is released I wouldn't be surprised to see most major content providers such as Spotify and Twitch supporting this.

JordanKZ

Nice to see Google still believes that America is the centre of the universe. No confirmed date for the Nexus 7 in the UK and no release at all for this.

I want to buy your products!!

Rengoku

I need to know how this thing works overseas and in hotels.... Unblock-us doesn't always work in a hotel environment...

Why? If you use the Ouya for XBMC then it still is better as the Chromecast doesn't *Currently* support streaming from local content (servers, NAS, external drives).

XBMC support on Ouya is shit. I got it mostly for stuff like Twitch.TV and even that is bad. This looks far more promising, and if the SDK is as simple as they stated it'll be, I won't be surprised if shit loads of app support this by the time I get my hands on it.

Somnid

For now. They are hoping for more support in the future. Pandora already a confirmed partner. Once this thing is released I wouldn't be surprised to see most major content providers such as Spotify and Twitch supporting this.

The problem I have is everything already supports those now with no external device (tablet, phone) required. It's another proprietary device in a sea of proprietary media devices. It's the Google equivalent of an Apple TV but less functional.

You'd think they'd get onboard something like Miracast and make a dongle for that that actually does work with most devices and is industry standard. Instead we have an awkward cloud-based solution that only works with internet enabled media streaming on a per service basis.

gcubed

The problem I have is everything already supports those now with no external device (tablet, phone) required. It's another proprietary device in a sea of proprietary media devices. It's the Google equivalent of an Apple TV but less functional.

You'd think they'd get onboard something like Miracast and make a dongle for that that actually does work with most devices and is industry standard. Instead we have an awkward cloud-based solution that only works with internet enabled media streaming on a per service basis.

well your in luck. Since everything supports Chrome, everything supports this. Magic

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

You'd think they'd get onboard something like Miracast and make a dongle for that that actually does work with most devices and it's industry standard. Instead we have an awkward cloud-based solution that only works with internet enabled media streaming.

Well I think in terms of internet media streaming, the functionality of the device along with the fact that the SDK is open makes it very appealing - especially if you're someone like me and has basically no media stored locally. All my shit I watch on Netflix, all my Music on All Access.

I feel like that's also the majority of people going forward - Netflix is popular for a reason, it's simple and offloads a lot of the hassle of storing media locally.

edit: Further, if it's as easy as they make it seem - what's stopping anyone from streaming android games to your TV, using your device/a bluetooth controller as a remote? Basically sidestepping Ouya altogether?

edit2: When I think about it, I'm less sure it's possible... hmmm

Top Bottom