• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS! Read first post for information.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Red Scarlet said:
I'll be waiting to see what will be added. If they throw in stuff like Singing Mountain and some other new areas, then I'll be interested. Otherwise, I think 4 versions of the game is enough for me.

I hope they add a explorable 1999 timezone myself! That would be amazing...

Why do I get the feeling the people who are against this being a port is not even a fan of the game at all? It's been over 10 years, about time this game is back in all its glory untouched as it is.

Tenbatsu

I dont mind the same old look, but adding more key frames to the sprites will be fantastic. Doubt Square will ever do that thou.

ZeoVGM

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Why do I get the feeling the people who are against this being a port is not even a fan of the game at all? It's been over 10 years, about time this game is back in all its glory untouched as it is.

Nah, I'd rather it be a remake.

sonicmj1

I do love Chrono Trigger, but I hate how Square-Enix releases games that are a decade old at full retail price with minimal changes, and people eat it up.

You are the reason why Final Fantasy and CT will never hit Virtual Console. Square never has to settle for selling those games at $8 when they can sell them at $40.

robor

Tobor said:
So if they released it on VC for 3900 points at the same time, you would have no issues. Got it.

No, you don't. There is no reason for that amount of points. It is a SNES game and there for it should be treated as such, so it should have the same points as most of the other SNES ports. Hence if I had my way, there would be no DS port. I know why they're doing this and I don't support it, much like anything Square has done since the merge.

EDIT

LiK said:
cuz square makes more money by selling their ports via retail, genius. ex: all the FF games. it's been discussed on 1up and Retronauts before.

No shit. I'm aware of that and therefor I don't support it.

Zoe

BishopLamont said:

My beef with that is if it's pretty much only a port, it might as well have gone up on the VC. SE has already shown they're open to direct ports through the PSN.

After all these no-so-spectacular extra dungeons in the GBA FF enhanced ports, there had better be a "classic" mode to this.

Either way, Day 1...no doubt.

Tobor

robor said:
No, you don't. There is no reason for that amount of points. It is a SNES game and there for it should be treated as such, so it should have the same points as most of the other SNES ports. Hence if I had my way, there would be no DS port. I know why they're doing this and I don't support it, much like anything Square has done since the merge.

I get what you're saying, but software is worth what people are willing to pay. There is no law saying SNES games are worth $9 now.

Beisdes, I would rather have this on the DS anyway. Portability trumps price for me, every time.

Tain

Jiggy37 said:
What would be compromised about it?

Firestorm said:
Well it's on better hardware with double the amount of screens and more input options so it's obviously compromised in some way or another. Right?

I'll admit that the screen resolution difference isn't huge. Still cropped/scaled. Or, hey, compromised. If the game gets a great retranslation or the music sounds better through the DS's hardware or something (not that I think the game needs either), that's of some merit.

Great for those that haven't played it. Not as great as a VC release unless someone absolutely cannot play a game without it being in their pocket.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Zefah said:
Enhanced port, whatever that means, sounds a lot better than remake to me.

A remake at Square Enix would probably mean that Nomura would be in charge. I really don't need my Crono to be covered in belts and zippers and be strangely solemn at all times.

So very true, Teru Zefah.

fatty

SabinFigaro said:
Let's keep this lovefest going:

Official Art

343j4fa.jpg

k21eoi.jpg

Music: Soundtrack

Battle with Magus
Brink of Time
Chrono Trigger (Theme)
Corridors of Time
Determination
Memories of Green
Sealed Door
Undersea Palace
Wind Scene

Music: Live

PLAY! (Trigger/Cross)

Music: Remixes

'600 A.D. in Piano'
'Blue Minded God'
'Blue Skies Over Guardia'
'DreamofZeal'
'Green Amnesia'
'Requiem for a Green Revolution'
'Song of the Mountain'
'The Frontier'
'Through the Dark'
'Time Management'
'Town Life in Piano'
'Winds of Time'

And of course, Chrono Symphonic.

How could you forget time chill? Can't leave that one out! :D

Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger - Corridor of Time
Time Chill (remix by mv)

v0yce

What are the chances that the new dungeon would actually be set in a new time period? That would be really neat.

And a translated Radical Dreamers should be on there as a bonus. And a Kid or Lynx cameo would be neat.

Oh wishful thinking.

So y'all's position is that Square-Enix should throw money in the garbage because $8 is now some sort of objective standard for the value of an SNES game (even though this particular SNES game sells for $50+ on the open market)? That sounds like a great plan. :lol

This is a rerelease of a popular game on a new popular system at a standard price, something that has been totally normal for like forever.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just the idea of a new Chrono anything is such a novelty. I can't believe it's been 8 years since the last title. I'm glad SE is finally cashing in on something amazing.

Zoe

charlequin said:
So y'all's position is that Square-Enix should throw money in the garbage because $8 is now some sort of objective standard for the value of an SNES game (even though this particular SNES game sells for $50+ on the open market)? That sounds like a great plan. :lol

They're perfectly fine with tossing $6 PS1 games out there.

sonicmj1

charlequin said:

This is a rerelease of a popular game on a new popular system at a standard price, something that has been totally normal for like forever.

Who releases a decade old port for $40 besides Square?

At least other developers have the decency to bundle their titles.

Zoe said:

When they put FF7 up there, then I'll be surprised. Mostly, Square will put there lesser know titles on PSN/VC and save all there big name titles for re-releases that the fans will gobble up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I hate these threads...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE UPDATE THE OP WITH ANY FACTUAL INFO. I DON'T WANT TO SCOUR THROUGH 20+ THREAD PAGES FOR REVEALED FACTS. THKS!

antiloop

Brandon F said:
I hate these threads...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE UPDATE THE OP WITH ANY FACTUAL INFO. I DON'T WANT TO SCOUR THROUGH 20+ THREAD PAGES FOR REVEALED FACTS. THKS!

The truth.

Anyway, MEGATON!

Dascu

Brandon F said:
I hate these threads...

Chrono Trigger DS has been confirmed. Enhanced port, much like the GBA ports of FFIV, V and VI; Same graphics but a few extras like a new dungeon and such.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Dascu said:
Chrono Trigger DS has been confirmed. Enhanced port, much like the GBA ports of FFIV, V and VI; Same graphics but a few extras like a new dungeon and such.

So it's going to just be the ROM with added dual screen battle/map info and stylus menu control or such? For Squeenix tax of $40+

Meh...
sigh...I'll still buy it

mr_nexus

Banned
Best news I've heard in months. I hope they don't mess with the music like the FF DS games.

Here is a wallpaper I made up awhile back. I hope you like it.

Zoe said:

Are those games Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or any other huge series that people will happily pay $30-40 for rereleases of?

No. They're fucking EINHANDER and shit. So why did you post this comeback that demonstrates that you missed my point, that the reasonable price is based on what game it is and not what system it was released for?

sonicmj1 said:
Who releases a decade old port for $40 besides Square?

Nintendo charged $30 for one-fourth of a port when they brought the components of Super Mario All-Stars over on GBA.

The real question is, who else has games that could command $40 for a port? Many of the classic NES and SNES games are really short, so they get packaged together and you get four ports for $40 or whatever, but RPGs are a different story.

Pojo

Banned
CHRONO TRIGGER, CHRONO TRIGGER, CHRONO TRIGGER.

I may have to turn in my gamers license, but I never played it on the SNES and couldn't stomach the horrible PSX port...but lo, here it is. As long as it's optimized and not slowed down like the DS FF remakes, consider me excited.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Awesome news, but still kinda a missed opportunity.
I didnt even think of the price really till I kept reading here "$40 for 12 year old port" is a bit excessive, heh.

"one dungeon" in itself doesn't seem very appetizing; but I guess I'm glad they arent MESSING with CT though, considering how amazing it is. I just hope they at least up the presentation and maybe fix the translations.

The ideal situation would be a FFT:WoTL-type port, but this doesnt seem to be the case.

rhino4evr

up until now, its made sense for Square to re-release these games on DS.

FFIII was never released in US had updated graphics
FFIV was gimped in the US, this has updated graphics FMV
DQ remakes weren't released in US. has updated grpahics

This just doesen't compute. They have to add more then just 1 dungeon.

A Square Two Pack with Secret of Man and Chrono Trigger would make much more send to me.

No reason we should pay retail for something we could be playing on the VC for $8

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
square needs to pull their heads out of their asses and start putting this shit on VC and PSN (for PS1 games)

Chrono Trigger deserves to be played on a couch, with perfect emulation.

ms-07

Banned
Big letdown. It would be worth it if they updated the graphics and still kept it 2d, but this spells laziness all over it. There's no reason they waited this long and passed up releasing it on the GBA, back then it would of been acceptable. This had a lot of potential as a remake. instead of a shitty extra dungeon we could of gotten some expanded story, maybe some Chrono Cross tie-in.

sonicmj1

charlequin said:
Nintendo charged $30 for one-fourth of a port when they brought the components of Super Mario All-Stars over on GBA.

The real question is, who else has games that could command $40 for a port? Many of the classic NES and SNES games are really short, so they get packaged together and you get four ports for $40 or whatever, but RPGs are a different story.

I honestly don't think any port should be commanding that kind of price point.

If people are willing to pay, I can't stop them, and it's clearly working for Square. It just bothers me that everyone here seems to be tripping over themselves to hand over their wallets when the pricing is so far out of line with everyone else.

Top Bottom