• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger DS! Read first post for information.

Aeana

It definitely sounds like it's going to be a nearly simultaneous release ("winter 2008" in the scan, "holiday season" in the press release). That's cool.

rhino4evr

1 new dungeon
touch screen support (duh?)
dual screens (duh duh)

Purchase?

No.

Would rather buy on the Wii Vc then a 39.99 port of an old SNES game in the DS.
If they remade the graphics, maybe.

asa

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST NEWS EVER MEGATON! GAF MELTDOWN!

edit...

just one new dungeon.. duh.. oh well, it's still Chrono on the go.. coolnes.

I hope no one got their hopes up that the added content was anything more than one new dungeon; that's about par for the course for the FF Advance series, for example.

Everyone who's like "added dungeons, not enough for me!" Well, right. The game's coming out for all the people who can't play it now, not you. :lol

Diablos

A brand new dungeon and a Wireless Play mode adds exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic
Is it the unfinished Singing Mountain that still made it onto the cart, unable to be seen without using cheats/hacks? (Link has some spoilers about the game if you've never played CT when it speculates what this area would have been used for.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
James Power said:
Folks. Wouldn't it be easier to just play the SNES version if you're so desparate to play Chrono Trigger? How in hell can someone look forward to a fucking port anyway? Great, I'll play this again! :lol Give me a fucking worthy sequel or bust.

people give me funny looks when i bring my snes with me in public places :( :( :( i don't mind though i just say "screw you man, if you're not going to wind my crank-powered generator so i can defeat magus-sama with froggu, you're of no help at all! 立ち去りなさい gaijin!!!"

and then i normally hum the black omen music at them!!!

Ranger X

charlequin said:
Everyone who's like "added dungeons, not enough for me!" Well, right. The game's coming out for all the people who can't play it now, not you. :lol

Exactly. I'm gonna play FF4 and DQ4 remakes anyways.
The only thing i don't like with Chrono release is that it isn't a remake and there's no sequels. A new Chrono Trigger would have been exciting for everyone while this port is not.

rhino4evr

yeah, to be fair the reason im not interested is becuase Ive played the original about 5 times. For folks that have never played this, I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Once dungeon and DS features isn't enough for me

I will be buying FFIV, because it's actually a remake.

Tobor said:
Is everyone ignoring the fact that Squeenix could be using the port to guage interest in a proper sequel?

Are you ignoring the fact that this possibility accounts for a large part of the excitement in this thread ?

I've never actually finished this (got to Lavos's final form but didn't beat him). In fact, I didn't finish most of the RPGs I played on the SNES. I'm fine with one new dungeon.

kay

I wonder what Square-Enix is going to be doing a couple generations down the road, porting their ports?

Oh well, at least the series isn't fully dead.

Tobor

Holy Order Sol said:
Are you ignoring the fact that this possibility accounts for a large part of the excitement in this thread ?

I was referring to the "won't buy" crowd. I would buy this if it were a simple rom dump,if it meant a possibility of a sequel.

Tobor said:
Is everyone ignoring the fact that Squeenix could be using the port to guage interest in a proper sequel?

I think it's less likely that the port is there to gauge interest for a proper sequel (I mean, what, Square-Enix, you need to sell a port in order to determine whether people still care about Chrono Trigger? Really?) and more likely that a real sequel was already discussed at S-E, and if it's happening, that CT DS is intended as the palette-cleansing lead-in for it.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Was it wrong of me to think that this was Matrix's next project?

Oh well, I had hoped for a portable Chrono even since the SNES FF trilogy was announced for the GBA.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Egh, no sale unless it's like $20. I'll stick to my SNES cart unless the extras are more epic than the ones in the GBA "enhanced" ports.

charlequin said:
I think it's less likely that the port is there to gauge interest for a proper sequel (I mean, what, Square-Enix, you need to sell a port in order to determine whether people still care about Chrono Trigger? Really?) and more likely that a real sequel was already discussed at S-E, and if it's happening, that CT DS is intended as the palette-cleansing lead-in for it.

So what happens when this game bombs?

Tobor

charlequin said:

This makes sense, and is presumably what they did on PS1 before Chrono Chross, right?

Tobor said:
This makes sense, and is presumably what they did on PS1 before Chrono Chross, right?
Trigger was re-released for the PSX around the same time as Cross, it was just a quick cash-in opportunity for both old fans and new fans who were getting aboard with Cross.
This is just another cash-in like the other remakes they've been doing.

Prime crotch said:
This is just another cash-in like the other remakes they've been doing.

1) 'Other' remakes? This isn't a remake in any sense of the word.

2) Their 'remakes' have been very, very far from being 'cash-ins'. All of them have shown significant work and effort went into the titles.

Pureauthor said:
1) 'Other' remakes? This isn't a remake in any sense of the word.

2) Their 'remakes' have been very, very far from being 'cash-ins'. All of them have shown significant work and effort went into the titles.
They're still cash-ins, very good ones and I'll get their Dragon Quest ones but that's what they are. And even if this isn't a remake and more of a port it's still in line with their current strategy for the NDS.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
What was the price of the FFVI GBA enhanced port when it was released? Square Enix tax, the usual price of a new GBA game or budget price?

robor

Holy Order Sol said:
Missing the point of a handheld FTW.

Sorry dude, I don't buy it. Why would I want to pay more for something that should be less for someone who does not own a DS? I already know the answer, it's where the fortune ball has foreseen this proposition; totally Wadafied.

Pureauthor said:
So what happens when this game bombs?

Squeenix isn't Namco; I doubt they're setting any sort of "1m for the Chrono and 1m for the Trigger"-type ridiculous estimates for a (slightly) enhanced port.

LiK

Tobor said:
I was referring to the "won't buy" crowd. I would buy this if it were a simple rom dump,if it meant a possibility of a sequel.

yea, even if there's no actual direct sequel, any potential game involving the CT universe would be possible if this game sells well.

Tobor

robor said:
Sorry dude, I don't buy it. Why would I want to pay more for something that should be less for someone who does not own a DS? I already know the answer, it's where the fortune ball has foreseen this proposition; totally Wadafied.

So if they released it on VC for 3900 points at the same time, you would have no issues. Got it.

Amneisac

Man, this is going to devalue my SNES cart. I've kept it preserved like the smithsonian in the box with all the manuals, the map and official strategy guide.

This port had better be worth it!!

LiK

robor said:
So why isn't it coming to VC then? Oh wait, stealth-rape.

cuz square makes more money by selling their ports via retail, genius. ex: all the FF games. it's been discussed on 1up and Retronauts before.

MoxManiac

charlequin said:
Squeenix isn't Namco; I doubt they're setting any sort of "1m for the Chrono and 1m for the Trigger"-type ridiculous estimates for a (slightly) enhanced port.

I think this could sell well though. CT has a pretty rabid fanbase, and just seeing CT on the shelves for DS will catch their eye, even if they don't follow the news. I hope they use the original snes cover.

Barrett2

Amneisac said:
Man, this is going to devalue my SNES cart. I've kept it preserved like the smithsonian in the box with all the manuals, the map and official strategy guide.

This port had better be worth it!!

You should honestly look into selling the SNES cart before its value goes down.

sennin

I'm worried about this remake. First, FF IV Advance while fixing 2 bugs from prior versions, introduced slowdown and the notorious "double attack even when ATB bar is empty" bug. Next, FF VI on the PS One had slowdowns in combat. Even VP:Lenneth and FFT:WotLs had slowdowns, but offered new anime scenes and a much better translation to make up for it, hence I tend to be rather forgiving about the technical faults as a result. Music quality was sacrificed for FF VI advance, and in exchange there is a brand new dungeon.

I think the only port most FF fans can agree that did get respect is FFV advance. For most of their other titles, old school SNES is the way to go. While I'm keen, I'm definitely not buying this one day one, I'm waiting for CAG to show me which retailers are having discounts/price drops before picking it up.

Top Bottom