• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

jtb

Banned
Quays/Canals plus a little bit of modding should make sunken highways really easy to create, right"?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
yessss...

the only downside to this update is now I have to take full advantage of all these new features..... by starting a new city from scratch :D

That's what I'm doing too. Last night I played around in a few of my current cities just to see what the new stuff was, and I'm liking this patch! The canal and quay interface is done wonderfully, but the new placeable rocks and water walls are great too. I'm thinking of making a poop canal in my new city that carries the waste far away from the population and empties it way out to sea!

Ranger X

That's what I'm doing too. Last night I played around in a few of my current cities just to see what the new stuff was, and I'm liking this patch! The canal and quay interface is done wonderfully, but the new placeable rocks and water walls are great too. I'm thinking of making a poop canal in my new city that carries the waste far away from the population and empties it way out to sea!

I'll go even further and create "Poop Lake" !
I wonder if the lake would fill up completely at some point.

Mengy

I'll go even further and create "Poop Lake" !
I wonder if the lake would fill up completely at some point.

The answer is yes it does!

I put all of my waste into a large far off lake in my one city, the water turned a horrible color but things went fine for awhile, but eventually the water level did slowly creep up and spill over, allowing waste to flood all over my industrial sector. It was not a pretty sight, turns out the citizens do not love swimming in raw sewage....

Ranger X

The answer is yes it does!

I put all of my waste into a large far off lake in my one city, the water turned a horrible color but things went fine for awhile, but eventually the water level did slowly creep up and spill over, allowing waste to flood all over my industrial sector. It was not a pretty sight, turns out the citizens do not love swimming in raw sewage....

Nice! This game is really well done then.

jtb

Banned
What happens when you hit the max number of simulated cims? not cars (which, if you're not careful, would grind all your cities services to a halt), but like actual cims... I think the number is ~600k or something like that? Your city would have to be around 1 million in population.

Mengy

What happens when you hit the max number of simulated cims? not cars (which, if you're not careful, would grind all your cities services to a halt), but like actual cims... I think the number is ~600k or something like that? Your city would have to be around 1 million in population.

I have no clue, I've not gotten much above 100K population in a city yet to be honest. I tend to make a lot more suburbs and "small town" areas than going for max pop everywhere.

Ranger X

I don't know if I had hit the limit but I have a town where I was trying to max out everything (vanilla though -- so I don't have all the terrains). I am oscillating between 550 and 600k. Th demand for residential zones simply dies.

Syroc

Tarsier Studios
The update motivated me to play this again. Was in the process of building a tourist district when I noticed that the sun sets almost right behind the cathedral.

1cbez.jpg

There is something nice about planned cities. Usually I try to build more organic cities and hide all big roads underground.

The update motivated me to play this again. Was in the process of building a tourist district when I noticed that the sun sets almost right behind the cathedral.

1cbez.jpg

There is something nice about planned cities. Usually I try to build more organic cities and hide all big roads underground.

This is absolutely beautiful TT_____TT!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Beautiful. All my cities end up being organically grown chaotic clusterfucks.

mine's organically grown too really. the secret imo is that you have to be not scared to bulldoze a couple of blocks to build a roundabout or highway junction if you need to. it started on the far side of the river (pearl hills) and has spread down and to the right over time.

the two roundabouts just above the highway, to the right of the centre, for instance, took me literally hours of trial and error to get right. i had to knock down about five blocks and completely redo the roads in that area to get the traffic from tailing back all the way down the big highway in the centre.

i think i'm done now, i need to uninstall before i spend the next week doing nothing but play, rip

lEVG7lF.jpg

pCP856Q.jpg

included the first image to show you what i meant about knocking down a few blocks if you think you need to. i had perennial, non-stop problems with traffic in the big 'downtown' area until i eventually said 'fuck it' and build the major highway system into the heart of the city, on the right-hand side in this shot that i posted last week:

MykJ4oJ.jpg

if i was going to do it again i'd have made it raised to make it look more 'natural' but eh. and ofc when i take a screenshot i manage to get a big tailback in it which makes it looks like a failure, a mess.

spiritfox

New patch!

We got the proofread localization files and managed to fix some other bugs last week. QA also had the time to go through the patch and verified the fixes. This means the patch is going live today! See the full notes below.

The team continues their normal work this week, except for Karoliina who is attending Quo Vadis conference in Berlin as a speaker and on Thursday I will be attending the Finnish Game Awards where Cities: Skylines is nominated in two categories. It's rather exciting!

Just to be sure I ordered cakes for next week so we can either celebrate the win or drown our sorrow in delicious and unhealthy sweets. I think that's only fair, right?

Cheers,
Mariina

1.4.1-f2

Fixed: Assets editor ignores vertex colours when a mesh is imported
Fixed: Buses can enter and exit bus stations located at highways with sound barriers
Fixed: Rocks, Trees, and Shrubs can clip through elevated roads and paths when terrain is elevated with Shift Tool
Fixed: Building a Cargo Hub also add weekly Train expenses
Fixed: Expansion 1: Text: The default names of the Souvenir Shops have the word "Souvenirs" misspelled.
Fixed: Text overlap in New Game panel when using Polish language
Fixed: Text goes out of bounds in Load Game panel in several languages
Fixed: Road maintenance pickup has misplaced headlights
Fixed: Placing a Six-Lane Road to the edge of a Train Track cause it to clip through it
Fixed: Map Editor: Environment props could be sorted in different tabs.
Fixed: Asset Editor: UI: Map Editor Environment assets could be sorted in a different tab of the Building Asset Importer.
Fixed: custom water normalmap issue
Added newly proof read and fixed strings
Fixed: localization issues
Fixed: Hovering / floating cars going across map
Fixed: Changing elevated pedestrian path to ground level near elevated road causes visible path level issue
Improvement: Added confirmation window when unsubscribing Steam Workshop items from Content Manager

Perhaps not a surprise, but Cities: Skylines won Finnish Game of the Year in the Finnish Game Awards :)

(I think this photo is from "Big Screen Game of the Year" category, they got an actual statue for the big prize)

LordAmused

Anyone playing this game on a laptop with i5 6200u with 940m? How's the performance?

Thanks

Should run it at low but I wouldn't hold my breath. The game is really not well optimized.

I though I would post some pictures of my city. Only big areas so far, I'm still working on details in Downtown area. Very much a WIP, but please, if any of you have suggestions, I'm all ears.

View from the West

cities_2016_04_28_13_xpkxl.png

From the East, Downtown Area

cities_2016_04_28_13_vrjpo.png

From the Mountains, North.

cities_2016_04_28_13_z5jt6.png

And finally, the red light district, sitting high in the Northern Mountains of the region.

cities_2016_04_28_13_dxkjr.png

cities_2016_04_28_13_6njyt.png

I bought snowfall and never had any snow hit my city. I tried different maps to see which ones would have the mechanic and came up dry every time.
Also does everyone play with money mechanics on or just sandbox it? I like the cash restraint to make situations interesting but it really limits the strategy game of building effective routes.

e90Mark

I bought snowfall and never had any snow hit my city. I tried different maps to see which ones would have the mechanic and came up dry every time.
Also does everyone play with money mechanics on or just sandbox it? I like the cash restraint to make situations interesting but it really limits the strategy game of building effective routes.

Snow is only available on the actual snow maps. And it's snowy all the time. I wish there was a season system in place, including the snow.

I personally play with money mechanics.

Can anyone recommend a good UI overhaul mod? I don't think the modding thread is still active unless there's another one I'm not aware of.

how are your electricity sources laid out? it could be that they aren't connected and so the game sees it's got enough but what's connected to that block isn't.

Ranger X

Just bought After Dark for £6 on Humble Bundle store but apparently this Snowfall is a bit of a let down?

In my humble opinion no. It gives as much stuff as After Dark does + there are entirely new systems that are added to the game like trams and snow cleaning services.

Firebrand

I should get around to playing this... how's the economic bit? I tend to get a bit bored by city builders that gives you heaps of cash and it's more playing with models than trying to manage the city.

samn

Anyone playing this game on a laptop with i5 6200u with 940m? How's the performance?

Thanks

runs poorly (and looks bad, especially since they changed the lighting model last year) on my desktop GTX 660.

I should get around to playing this... how's the economic bit? I tend to get a bit bored by city builders that gives you heaps of cash and it's more playing with models than trying to manage the city.

In terms of the 'manage an economy and deal with crises and pressures strategically', it's worse than Simcity 2013. There's a hardcore mode that makes things more expensive but you can just fast forward to earn more money to pay for it. It's definitely more of a sandbox creative type game.

Ranger X

It think the game is doing a decent job on this. If you build typical cities you'll have some nice challenges to overcome. If its too easy anyways, the hardcore more should be your pick.

Ostinatto

That shouldn't be hitting any limits. try downloading this mod and see if you're hitting any limits.

Object Type [#maxsize] | [#defaultLimit]: #In Use [ | #itemCount]
Net Segments [36864]] | [36352]: 12628 | [12629]
Net Nodes [32768] | [32256]: 11797 | [11798]
Net Lanes [262144] | [258048]: 262143 | [262144]
Buildings [49152] | [48640]: 5771 | [5772]
Zoned Blocks [49152] | [48640]: 7066 | [7067]
Vehicles Active [16384] | [16384]: 5399 | [5400]
Parked Cars [32768] | [32767]: 2877
Citizens [1048576] | [1048575]: 95713
Citizen Units [524288] | [524287]: 90793
Citizen Instances [65536] | [65535]: 38894
Transport Lines [256] | [249]: 51
Path Units [262144] | [262143]: 95630
Areas [25] | [25]: 25
Districts [128] | [126]: 1
Trees [262144] | [262139]: 220289
User Props [65536] | [65531]: 5414

What can i do with these?

spiritfox

CO word of the week #11 - 22/2016

So you know last week when I said that we'll take our time with the next expansion, but would try to push a small patch out before we go on summer vacation? Well it's all true. We'll be focusing our efforts to bringing you something massive later on and have started to work with the modders on a new tool today. I'm so excited about this one! However there's much work to be done and not yet any news to share, so I'll stop teasing you about it for the time being.

Luckily there's a small patch coming out soon that will not only include bugfixes but nice content for everyone to enjoy. There will be more news about the content shortly as we plan to get this patch out by the end of next week!

What I can tell you is that the patch will mostly have localization bugs fixed (so nothing major) and the full patch notes will be revealed when the patch is ready. However since the game has done so well we felt that it's time to give something back to you guys. So we are adding the pre-order content to the base game, which means that everyone can have a dog park or a carousel in their city! Those are my favourites, but there's also a basketball court, botanical garden and a bouncy castle available.

While we wait for the patch to be ready to go out, please take a look at the devs behind the game :)

So a small patch soon, but more importantly, another expansion after summer-ish. I hope they take a look at the economic part of the game and do something more interesting with it.

Ranger X

My wishes would be more like revamping the building AI.

- Business would check for citizen availability BEFORE building their business. If there's not enough peeps, just don't build.
- More realistic number of people in buildings and business (that might not be possible due the sims limit but even "fake" numbers would be nice.

Ostinatto

i'm kind of tired of the same type of buildings on my map, if i download new buildings, can i replace the old ones on a existing save file? or i will have to start new game?

spiritfox

i'm kind of tired of the same type of buildings on my map, if i download new buildings, can i replace the old ones on a existing save file? or i will have to start new game?

You don't have to restart to see the new buildings, but they don't replace the old ones. The only way to block the base buildings from growing is using custom building themes, but you're limited to what is linked to that theme.

I wish there's a way to just stop certain base buildings from growing. Some of them are just ugly.

Lkr

All of my buildings look bad. I tried downloading some district themes from workshop but a bunch of my buildings disappeared after enabling it lmao

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
how the hell do I connect electricity? I have power lines near my homes and a windmill near those powerlines

The game is absolutely awful at teaching a new player

how the hell do I connect electricity? I have power lines near my homes and a windmill near those powerlines

The game is absolutely awful at teaching a new player

Is your wind turbine producing enough electricity (check your Electricity Availability)? Is your power line within the blue zone around the homes AND the wind turbine?

ala

C82EE1A7AC2D7B60FC8CA81D4260A7E06360A49E

vs.

2BC6AB938516F2D20DEDA6D21E410FBBE358158C

Reszo

Hey this game has really caught my eye but not sure if it will run properly on a laptop? and dont want to waste the money. Is there any news on the Xbone release?

Top Bottom