• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines - Snowfall |OT| We Build This City on Mods and Poo

Kabouter

I agree.

CO is a company of only 15 people i believe who are time and budget constraint
Compare that to the 1000s of mod authors throwing content out there as mods ( ranging from to trash to amazing ) for free .

The only way CO can compete with that is to make content and systems that the mod authors can't implement like bdisasters or cities in space .

Yep, exactly. Can't be easy to think of stuff that is feasible to put in but not covered by mods already. They did hint at something regarding working with mod creators iirc? I don't know what that's all about, but it would be nice if they would actually add some mods to the base game (just like the three 'cheat' mods the game ships with by default) that are as polished as the game itself. Or better yet, just integrate some things into the game full stop :p

I'm pretty sure they expanded their staff after the game's success, they have to be over two million copies sold at this point but it looks like they had the Steam Spy data hhidden.

I'm also one who isn't interested in disasters and always disabled them.

Steejee

That and PLEASE DEAR JESUS changing the business AI at the level where they shouldn't build their damn building at all before making sure there are enough workers available looking for a job damn it.

So simple and would reduce abandoned buildings ALOT. I wasn't passing time at erasing buildings in SimCity4...

I never bothered to bulldoze abandoned buildings or do anything about workerless buildings. Only burned down ones got any direct focus from me.

Abandoned buildings sort themselves out fairly well so long as you don't get an epidemic of them in one spot. Typically I'll have a few scattered about but they're usually reoccupied within a few minutes so long as I don't have some sort of other issue with my city going on.

Workerless ones are are slightly less ignored in that I'll either try to set up the education system somewhere to compensate (such as having residential areas that aren't fully covered by all education levels) or I'll tear them out and put something more appropriate in for my population levels. I figure it's a problem that mirrors real life, so I enjoy dealing with it in game.

I think a big part of it is that the fantastic mod support has made it harder for them to add stuff without, well, basically just integrating mods into the game. Love Snowfall though, but yeah, disasters I can't get excited about.

I agree.

CO is a company of only 15 people i believe who are time and budget constraint
Compare that to the 1000s of mod authors throwing content out there as mods ( ranging from to trash to amazing ) for free .

The only way CO can compete with that is to make content and systems that the mod authors can't implement like bdisasters or cities in space .

Yep, exactly. Can't be easy to think of stuff that is feasible to put in but not covered by mods already. They did hint at something regarding working with mod creators iirc? I don't know what that's all about, but it would be nice if they would actually add some mods to the base game (just like the three 'cheat' mods the game ships with by default) that are as polished as the game itself. Or better yet, just integrate some things into the game full stop :p

Compare that to PDS, who doesn't really care whether mods already cover stuff that their new expansions do.

Jintor

This is a bit of a side question, but are there any metro-handling style games around these days? I kinda want to load up Transport Tycoon or something

Hip Hop

Any mods out there to replace all base buildings?

The commercial buildings are pretty bad, specifically the stores.

The hotels and clubs are alright I guess.

spiritfox

Any mods out there to replace all base buildings?

The commercial buildings are pretty bad, specifically the stores.

The hotels and clubs are alright I guess.

There's nothing replacing the base buildings, but you can get themes to limit growables to whatever you want to grow.

Jintor

Am i crazy, or did there used to be a mod that converted Chirper into a SimCity 3k news-ticker sort of thing that was way easier to keep track of than this dumb pop-up and now it doesn't exist anymore? There's a "3k Chirper" mod on the store but it just ads the 3k bank of newsticker stories to Chirper instead of converting it into a newsticker.

spiritfox

Am i crazy, or did there used to be a mod that converted Chirper into a SimCity 3k news-ticker sort of thing that was way easier to keep track of than this dumb pop-up and now it doesn't exist anymore? There's a "3k Chirper" mod on the store but it just ads the 3k bank of newsticker stories to Chirper instead of converting it into a newsticker.

Huh, I can't find it. I might have been taken down.

Tanston

This is a bit of a side question, but are there any metro-handling style games around these days? I kinda want to load up Transport Tycoon or something

I haven't checked it out yet but there's the new open source transport tycoon project. It's supposed to be pretty good, i've been meaning to download it for awhile now. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but a quick google search for sure brings it up.

I haven't checked it out yet but there's the new open source transport tycoon project. It's supposed to be pretty good, i've been meaning to download it for awhile now. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but a quick google search for sure brings it up.
Yeah openttd is great. I have spent countless hours on it.

Figured I might as well pick this up after seeing Chris Livingston's article on his city and since I'm at a point where my main mega-prison in Prison Architect is stagnating into a World of Silence with no exciting incidents to manage after months of running it in autopilot.

I can't really afford to splurge on all the DLC, but I figure this is one of the games that probably shouldn't be played vanilla. If I had to choose between one for the time being until I feel like dropping money on the other should I go with After Dark or Snowfall?

Figured I might as well pick this up after seeing Chris Livingston's article on his city and since I'm at a point where my main mega-prison in Prison Architect is stagnating into a World of Silence with no exciting incidents to manage after months of running it in autopilot.

I can't really afford to splurge on all the DLC, but I figure this is one of the games that probably shouldn't be played vanilla. If I had to choose between one for the time being until I feel like dropping money on the other should I go with After Dark or Snowfall?

Woah diggity, vanilla Cities is awesome and totally great on its own. In fact, I heard a lot of people complain the DLCs were just glorified skin packs (dunno if I agree with that). IMO they don't add anything that is crucial to the experience.

Vanilla is fine. Look into getting some mods that help with some of the more boring parts of the game design (auto-bulldoze for instance) and just start playing.

Woah diggity, vanilla Cities is awesome and totally great on its own. In fact, I heard a lot of people complain the DLCs were just glorified skin packs (dunno if I agree with that). IMO they don't add anything that is crucial to the experience.

I don't mean it that way - I mean I was under the impression that it was one of those games where the vanilla experience starts to feel small, or the meta (mods, discussion, etc) around the game radically shifts once expansions come out - It's a general rule I've experienced with similar games.

spiritfox

Unfortunately the 2 DLCs right now don't really add anything substantial to the game. The base game (with mods) is solid enough that you can skip the DLCs for now, and maybe pick them up later if you want to.

I don't mean it that way - I mean I was under the impression that it was one of those games where the vanilla experience starts to feel small, or the meta (mods, discussion, etc) around the game radically shifts once expansions come out - It's a general rule I've experienced with similar games.

You actually get a decent amount of the DLC's content without paying for them, so yeah I'd say vanilla is certainly fine. The DLC stuff is largely stuff that you would want to focus on your 2nd time through anyway, as learning to manage traffic + snow + public transport + nightlife would have been completely overwelming on my first go. That's just me though, to answer the question of "if it had to be one which?" I'd say after dark, because it's new features are universal across all maps, you're only getting the real benefit of snowfall if you are playing on a snowy map.

The natural disasters DLC sounds like it might be the most must have of them all though if it lives up to it's potential. Good luck though, I'd say the biggest beginners mistake is in bad road placements, be considering traffic congestion constantly in your high activity areas.

Good luck though, I'd say the biggest beginners mistake is in bad road placements, be considering traffic congestion constantly in your high activity areas.

Yep. This is probably the number 1 way to get frustrated with this game. It's the biggest strategic problem you will have to solve, so keep that in mind from moment 1.

After the first two expansions I don't have my hopes up for the disasters one since the underlying game will still be deep as a puddle and it'll just end up being another exercise in traffic management with bad AI and limited options. I hate that you have to use mods to do things that should've been there if not at release at least in the months after.

Ranger X

I never bothered to bulldoze abandoned buildings or do anything about workerless buildings. Only burned down ones got any direct focus from me.

Abandoned buildings sort themselves out fairly well so long as you don't get an epidemic of them in one spot. Typically I'll have a few scattered about but they're usually reoccupied within a few minutes so long as I don't have some sort of other issue with my city going on.

Workerless ones are are slightly less ignored in that I'll either try to set up the education system somewhere to compensate (such as having residential areas that aren't fully covered by all education levels) or I'll tear them out and put something more appropriate in for my population levels. I figure it's a problem that mirrors real life, so I enjoy dealing with it in game.

The problem I see with the game is that people are out of job but they don't want to take a cheap job. They however can cross the entire town in order to go to school which is completely crazy. If you don't put any schools in a part of your town but that there's still enough place accross town in other schools, your peep will get educated anyways and as they go up in levels, they will refuse cheap job. So basically, when you zone new industrial and commercial because the game tells you that you should, if you don't plant new residential (that are therefore lowly educated or not at all) those new industries and commerce will go "not enough workers" and get abandoned even if there's a ton of educated people without a job. This is where the game is unbalanced.

And by the way, if the game was more realistic, commerce and industries would actually check if there are workers before building. No business in real life starts somewhere they didn't check about potential workers and clients before starting. Another point that would be realistic is for educated people to accept more cheap jobs.

Steejee

And by the way, if the game was more realistic, commerce and industries would actually check if there are workers before building. No business in real life starts somewhere they didn't check about potential workers and clients before starting. Another point that would be realistic is for educated people to accept more cheap jobs.

Tons of businesses start up without ensuring they can staff up and find clients. I live in Boston and around here it's especially bad with restaurants - you can staff a tech startup here (and then watch people get poached away), but good luck starting a restaurant without going through hell trying to staff it.

Jintor

tbh I want a game that models parking properly. You can kind of model it by disabling despawns but there's no explicit mechanics for it in Skylines, only aesthetic ones.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Eh, while I think it's cool and all, it's just not what I play these kinds of games for. I never seriously played with disasters in any of the Sim City games except for fun, but I'd always just reload my save afterwards and keep building like it never happened. Same with CSL for me, disasters are just not something I want other than for shits and giggles now and then, but I wouldn't buy an expansion just for a "once and awhile" gimmick.

Nope, can't see any real use for that to me, it's just not how I play CSL.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only time I enjoyed a scenario was in SimCity 2000. I played the Hollywood scenario, completed it, and kept going until I had millions upon millions of dollars, demolished the entire city, bulldozed it flat and rebuilt a new city from scratch. The only time I was able to do that without using a money cheat.

RayStorm

I would love a city builder with scenarios or tasks. Granted I'm mostly thinking about traffic congestion and solving them, ideally in real(istic) cities, but I guess disasters and cleaning up the aftermath would be alright too.

With a deeper simulation however improving crime/education/health etc. could be fun too. As is right now however due to the formulaic nature of public services that probably wouldn't work without further reworking.

Ostinatto

So my commercial area doesnt have goods to sell, and my population is not high enough to build docks, and the rail line doesn't cross the areas available to me to build.

I'm fucked?

DBT85

No, just build more residential until you get the docks or get the tile with the rail line.

32,000 pop for the docks, 16,000 to get 5 tiles on the map.

DBT85

Been watching more of her videos, the attention to detail on stuff is mad. Feel like a full potato by comparison.

I wonder if that mod can keep my roundabouts round?

Also wondering if it could be added to to allow banking on roads.

Orbis

I'm genuinely looking forward to this, I know disasters are pretty controversial in city builders but I personally love building up a city and unleashing chaos. I guess I just like to 'role play' my cities and have disasters as part of their history. The scenario editor will be cool too; scenarios won't be the main way I'll play but they'll definitely add something to the game.

DBT85

Talking about attention to detail you all should watch Fresh Popcorn videos, trully inspiring.

Yeah watching a lot of his and Fluxtrance.

Personally its nice to see a Brit doing it as there's less grids, and from what I've seen on Flux, he either has no understanding of public transport or just hates anyone that uses it lol.

Just used Move It for the first time. So ridiculously easy now to fix the stupid things the roads do sometimes. Now my bridges are at a decent height, I've moved the pillars and both sides are also level, and I even managed to accurately raise the approach to boot.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm bumping this since I assume it's the closest thing we have to an OT and the Disasters expansion isn't out yet.

I haven't played since the Snowfall update broke all my mods. I figured I'd give it a while to get them all fixed and start over.

Now I want to jump back in. What are the defacto mods for enhancing gameplay. I've decided I'm not against infinite money as I just want to build, not really manage. So I am looking into the mod that makes sure demand is always high so I dont reach the point I always do where suddenly no one wants to build anything and I can't expand and it bums me out. So I was hoping the demand keeper would help. Also what's the best traffic mod. And I guess more road types would be great. I saw there's a mod that lets you build roads down into the ground and digs it out automatically as opposed to making a tuneel. And one that automatically forces the ground to raise when building upwards. I guess I also want some terraforming tools. Oh and apparently there's a mod that lets you force bridges when you need to.

Surely people still play right.

Copons

I'm bumping this since I assume it's the closest thing we have to an OT and the Disasters expansion isn't out yet.

I haven't played since the Snowfall update broke all my mods. I figured I'd give it a while to get them all fixed and start over.

Now I want to jump back in. What are the defacto mods for enhancing gameplay. I've decided I'm not against infinite money as I just want to build, not really manage. So I am looking into the mod that makes sure demand is always high so I dont reach the point I always do where suddenly no one wants to build anything and I can't expand and it bums me out. So I was hoping the demand keeper would help. Also what's the best traffic mod. And I guess more road types would be great. I saw there's a mod that lets you build roads down into the ground and digs it out automatically as opposed to making a tuneel. And one that automatically forces the ground to raise when building upwards. I guess I also want some terraforming tools. Oh and apparently there's a mod that lets you force bridges when you need to.

Surely people still play right.

Uh, there's SO much going on, you wouldn't believe.
Especially on the detailing side, things got awesome!

Let's see, in no particular order, just fishing in my subscribed list (only mods, no buildings or props, or the list would be huge):

Move It: it makes you move EVERYTHING. Pick one or more nodes of a road and move and rotate in any direction. Same thing for buildings (but not props I think?). And even more I guess, I see it updates every other day and I can't keep up with it.
Hands down the best mod ever.

Precision Engineering: angle snapping and guidelines for your roads

Extra Landscaping Tools: better terraforming tool

Demand Master: total control over RCI values

81 Tiles: unlock every tile of the map

Unlock All + Wonders & Landmarks: in case you uninstalled the game and it lost all your unlocked stuff

Control Building Level Up: prevent buildings from upgrading over a certain level

Building Eyedropper Tool: copy-paste growables and ploppables

Ploppable RICO: plop buildings that work as residential/industrial/commercial/office

Fine Road Tool: ground, elevated, bridge, tunnel, whatever, whenever, at whatever height

Sharp Junction Angles: the name says it all (includes the old road anarchy mod)

NoPillars: build roads and rails without pillars

Traffic Manager: President Edition: the current go-to traffic mod

Network Extensions Project: adds a ton of new road types (many of them with a proper tunnel texture!!)

Network Skins: change trees, lights and pillars for (some or all) your roads!

Zoning Toolset: more control over zoning

Quay Anarchy: build quays wherever you want

Surface Painter: add brushes to change the surface (grass, dirty, concrete, etc.) - these are NOT props, but it changes the actual surface texture!

More Beautification: allow to place props in-game

Decal Prop Fix: allow the use of big props and decals

Prop & Tree Anarchy: plop props wherever you want

Prop Line Tool: lets you plop props in lines and curves

Prop Precision: better props placement

Random Tree Rotation: 1000x better looking trees

Moledozer and Bulldozer Elevation Control: help you bulldoze only underground stuff

Better Bulldozer: bulldoze areas and choose what you want to destroy

Sharp Textures: increase anisotropy and make textures look better when looking at small angles

my new MacBook Pro might not be able to run this but I have not been able to find it in the apps store where I have a gift certificate

anyplace with some good deals for this?

Top Bottom